home

Author Topic: Fantastic new Empire Militia/Mercenaries/Soldiers  (Read 4256 times)

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
Re: Fantastic new Empire Militia/Mercenaries/Soldiers
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2021, 01:32:17 AM »
Found new pictures of upcoming sets on facebook. (https://www.facebook.com/reptilianminis/photos/a.180206709233981/831517664102879)

These are THE BEST Empire plastic minis I have ever seen! (The only small weakness are the faces.)
Overall better than anything GW has done.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2021, 03:09:42 AM »
They should do a kickstarter, and then make the miniatures.  All this stuff about printing them, bah.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2021, 09:52:16 AM »
They should do a kickstarter, and then make the miniatures.  All this stuff about printing them, bah.

What he said ^^^  :::cheers:::

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2021, 11:12:27 PM »
So far I could not find anyone who does or will print and sell those miniatures.

Not too fond of the 'print it yourself' approach either. Those digital goods are easy to sell though and I'm afraid that this is the future of the hobby.

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2021, 04:35:44 PM »
The 2nd set is out already and up for sale (digitally): https://reptilianoverlords.com/product/mercenaries-and-militia-stl-expansion-set/

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2021, 06:44:40 PM »
I joined the discord server of the creator and asked about physical copies: Sadly there is no 'official' way to get some right now and apparently there are currently no plans for that either. The Website Etsy was recommended to me, where people offer 3D printing services. Either that or buying a printer myself ...
Is there still no one here (EU) with a proper 3D printer?  :ph34r:

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2021, 09:42:59 AM »
I joined the discord server of the creator and asked about physical copies: Sadly there is no 'official' way to get some right now and apparently there are currently no plans for that either. The Website Etsy was recommended to me, where people offer 3D printing services. Either that or buying a printer myself ...
Is there still no one here (EU) with a proper 3D printer?  :ph34r:

That's so disappointing. I can't comment on their business model because clearly if it works, it works, but to me it just seems so at odds to create such a great physical product and only offer it digitally...

The need to own a 3D printer or pay additional fees for a printing service to do the job just means these end up being financially inviable to a lot of people. Sad times. :unsure:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2021, 06:01:44 PM »
I've been learning about 3D printers recently.  Evidently they are getting better, although still a bit tricky to work with in many cases.  If I go this route at some point, probably best for me to wait until the technology gets better.

In the meantime, there are folks like this guy who are making both figures available and the files for 3D printing ...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grimforge/scoundrels-of-the-damned-ruins?ref=recommendation-projectpage-footer-3

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2021, 07:44:33 AM »
You should sound your local hobby scene for friends who have a 3d printer. They will be happy to print your figurines for a token. You still need to buy the files yourself, of course.

At least in bigger cities with a lively miniature hobby scene this is emerging as the norm. It is not necessary to own a 3d printer to enjoy the 3d scene.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2021, 09:23:13 AM »
Can you 3d print them at any scale?

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2021, 10:59:09 AM »
You should sound your local hobby scene for friends who have a 3d printer. They will be happy to print your figurines for a token. You still need to buy the files yourself, of course.

At least in bigger cities with a lively miniature hobby scene this is emerging as the norm. It is not necessary to own a 3d printer to enjoy the 3d scene.

-Z

I'm very much a closet hobbyist so I'm not in touch with any local groups unfortunately - so if anybody on here decides to invest in these sets please let me know because I'll happily get in on the action (assuming the price and shipping to UK isn't too silly).

Offline Borderguy190

• Members
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2021, 05:58:35 AM »
I've got both militia sets now from reptilian Overlords. While I have only printed a few parts, the prints look fantastic. I'm using a Anycubic Photon and its not really that difficult to use. The slicing software has a little learning curve, but once you have it down its pretty simple to use. Here is a blog post where I discuss my entry into 3d printing. with these two sets from RO and that new set from Grimforge, I'll be able to print militia, state troops, and great swords, plus warband models for Mordheim.

Selling 3d files is a way a small "shop" can get into business. Resin casting isn't easy. Plastic molding costs a fortune. Metal molding takes equipment and space. These designers might not have the ability to even make a go of being a manufacturer, so this is their way of sharing their work.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2021, 09:43:28 AM »
I considered buying Grimforge's stl files for those militia style troops during the kickstarter that finished this past weekend, but I don't have a 3D printer, and not sure yet if I'll even get one.  So hard copies were purchased only.