home

Author Topic: Tactical Decision Game 2.7: The Climax  (Read 18832 times)

Offline Holy Hand Grenade

• Members
  • Never leave the Province without it...
Tactical Decision Game 2.7: The Climax
« on: October 05, 2012, 09:47:56 PM »
Tactical Decision Game 2.7:  The Climax

***Note-  read the following thread to follow along with the Tactical Decision Game 2 storyline: 
--Tactical Decision Game 2:  The Beginning
--Tactical Decision Game 2.1:  Strategy & Deployment
--Tactical Decision Game 2.2:  Magic, Magic, Magic
--Tactical Decision Game 2.3:  To Charge or Not to Charge
--Tactical Decision Game 2.4:  The Plot Thickens
--Tactical Decision Game 2.5:  Die Hard
--Tactical Decision Game 2.6:  Nearing the Climax

-------------------------------------

Tactical Decision Games are a fun way to think through tough situations that Empire Generals face.  It is all about making tough decisions in tough situations… so the next time you face similar situations-  you are ready for them!  Check out Tactical Decision Game 1:  Empire versus the Ogrebus if you haven’t seen it yet to get an idea of what a TDG is all out. 

-------------------------------------

So this is it.  The final thread.  Can you believe this started almost a full month ago?

This bad boy is down to the wire.  By my calculations, Dreadlord is beating Team Green by 196 VPs and Team Blue by 106 VPs.

The good news:  there are plenty of Dark Elf points ripe for the taking in the final round.

Team Blue Movement

Team B fires up the boiler’s in its tank.  4 Steam, no issues.   

The Knights charge the rear of what is left of the Warrior horde and get two models into base contact with the Metal witch (better late than never….right?)

The Reiksguard finally get into the game by charging the rear of the Executioners so the Execs can’t join the battle royale in the center.  (Apologize, but I failed to tell you that 1 Reiksguard died due to a Dangerous Terrain test last time they were in the forest.  There are a total of 10 models in the unit at the moment)

The Wizard’s Archer bunker moves back a few inches to get the TGM within 12” for potential killer buffing.

Last, the Knights perform a swift reform and head towards the ruins-  to block a potential charge from the Shades to the Wizard bunker and to get within 6” of the ruins so its unit points cost towards the VP count for those 100 special VPs.

The Steam Tank grinds 3 steam worth of points to kill 5 Warriors.

Team Green Movement

The ICK charge the Warrior block and make it.

The Engie charges the Execs and Dreadlord’s high rolls finally come back to haunt him-  the Exec worth 498 VPs runs off the board on a 10!

The ‘Nilla Knights reform and face the center, their part in this battle basically over.

Team Blue Magic & Shooting

Empire gets a 5 and 3 for the Winds O Magic roll.  Empire channels 1 extra.

9 PD to 5 DD. 

The Beastmage casts a 3 dice Curse on the Warriors.  Gets a 13+4+1=18.  Dreadlord lets it go.

Hoping to get Savage Beasts of Horrors off at least once this battle, the mage tosses 6 dice at it.  2x6s.  It goes off on IF. 

The Beastmage is elated until he rolls a 4 on the Miscast.  The big boom kills 4 of his Archer buddies and sucks him into the realm of chaos…never to be seen again.  The Archers make their Panic test.     

Archers shoot at the Shades to no effect.

Team Green Magic & Shooting

The Comet does not go off.  (WTH is up with this Comet?  Take a coffee break?)

8 PD to 5 DD.

Green starts off with a 3-dice Harmonic C on the ICK.  Dreadlord Dispel Scrolls it.  (Yep, he still had it.)

The Heavens Wizard casts a 3-dice Iceshard on the Warriors and gets 10+4=14.  Dreadlord tosses 3 DD at it as well and gets 12+4=16.  Dispelled.

Huss casts a 2-dice Shield of Faith.  Gets 8.  Dreadlord tosses his last two-  5+4=9.  Dispelled. 

Hopefully your shooting goes better than your magic.  The Helblaster fires up its barrels one last time for-  6, Misfire, Misfire (okay, maybe not better than your magic phase…).  Engie re-rolls one Misfire into a 10. 

So…8 shots to work with.  5 hits, 3 wounds.  Exactly what you needed to finish them off.

Helblaster’s job is done.  Your Engie kicks back with his feet up on the barrels and fires up a pipe…

Team Blue Tactical Decisions for TFG 2.7

Okay, here is the deal. I need to know if you are going to challenge with the TGM (there is no Champ in the Execs so no decision to be made in that combat).

Also, how do you want to allocate your attacks?  Yours is not as complicated as Green’s is, but nonetheless, this is your input for this round.

Team Green Tactical Decisions for TFG 2.7

Are you going to issue and challenge?  And with who?

How do you want to allocate your attacks, depending on if the BSB makes way or not?

Man, this is another good one.  Death.  Destruction.  Mages getting sucked into the abyss.  Who is going to come out on top? 

:::cheers:::
HHG
If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

HHG's TDG/TEG Dice Tracker

Offline Harshey

• Members
Re: Tactical Decision Game 2.7: The Climax
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 01:01:26 AM »
I don't think we should issue a challenge from the ICK side, heres why:

We need to maximize attacks against the lord and BSB if he makes way. Right now we have 4 S6 hatred attacks into the dreadlord a d a couple of horses. This has a good chance of killing him outright.

We're only up by one going into combat, but we should out wound him, leaving a tough break test.

To avoid a challenge issued by the dreadlord, can we make way with the reiksguard champ and have him issue one?

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 01:30:46 AM »
Challenge with Reiksguard champion.

If he wants, he can dedicate enough attacks to possibly kill off the Reiksguard.  If we challenge with the Reiksguard we take that option away from him.  I don't see any downside for challenging.

If he refuses, send the Dreadlord to the 2nd rank where he can't fight.

Offline Friar Metick

• Members
  • Talks with hammer!
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 02:58:19 AM »
Challenge with the Reiks champ.
Blessed be those who game.

Friar Metick

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 03:10:10 AM »
If he wants, he can dedicate enough attacks to possibly kill off the Reiksguard.  If we challenge with the Reiksguard we take that option away from him.  I don't see any downside for challenging.

If one is killed in the challenge and this is completed before other models get to go in their Init order...wouldn't new models in base contact be able to swing?
If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

Offline Windelov

• Members
Sv: Tactical Decision Game 2.7: The Climax
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 04:25:43 AM »
Blue
2 Nilla knights on the witch, 1 on unit
steamgun and engineer  on the unit
Tgm challenges the dreadlord

And damn our bad luck!

Offline George

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 05:17:02 AM »
This could be an interesting challenge.
If Dreadlord see's the writing on the wall he may accept with the metal mage so that dreadlord can make way and perhaps get teh points of the knights. This would mean less attacks on the unit and possible not breaking steadfast.
If we don't challenge Dreadlord probably makes way anyway, but we risk not getting the metal mage.
My vote is for not challenging this turn, kill all the spears with the TGM's attacks so Dreadlord may be running this turn, or will die to attacks in the next combat.
My Armies:
Empire
Ogres

Offline Windelov

• Members
Sv: Re: Tactical Decision Game 2.7: The Climax
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 05:42:54 AM »
This could be an interesting challenge.
If Dreadlord see's the writing on the wall he may accept with the metal mage so that dreadlord can make way and perhaps get teh points of the knights. This would mean less attacks on the unit and possible not breaking steadfast.
If we don't challenge Dreadlord probably makes way anyway, but we risk not getting the metal mage.
My vote is for not challenging this turn, kill all the spears with the TGM's attacks so Dreadlord may be running this turn, or will die to attacks in the next combat.

Goode point george, although if we dont the metal witch will and we cannot decline. but yeah, lets not issue and see what the dread is up to.

Sendt fra min GT-I9000 med Tapatalk2
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 09:30:36 AM by Windelov »

Offline Dnic

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 08:06:06 AM »
If we challange with the reik champion, and the dreadlord accept, we cant hit him with all the str 6 hatred attacks :/
So lets not challange, its turn, and save the reik to next turn where we dont have str 6.

Offline zakalwe

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 10:17:19 AM »
If the bsb makes way to the reiksguard i think we should challenge with our champ. Though if the dreadlord excepts we could still loose the reiks. Though we would kill  his other troops and sorc.

If the bsb makes way to the ICK, to hit our bsb or huss, we may as well hope either target survives.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 11:00:32 AM »
We should definazely challenge and most likely kill either the dreadlord or the witch without return attacks on the grandmaster otherwise the DE player has some tasty options like slicing the steam tank ...i think.

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 11:17:14 AM »

If one is killed in the challenge and this is completed before other models get to go in their Init order...wouldn't new models in base contact be able to swing?
Doesn't the BSB's banner grant ASF to the unit?  So all of their attacks are simultaneous.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 11:23:43 AM »

Doesn't the BSB's banner grant ASF to the unit?  So all of their attacks are simultaneous.

That is true for everything but the Dreadlord and BSB who have ASF and ASL-  which cancel each other out, so they strike at their Init.

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 11:46:05 AM »
That is true for everything but the Dreadlord and BSB who have ASF and ASL-  which cancel each other out, so they strike at their Init.
Didn't realize the BSB also had ASL.

He could accept the challenge with the DL, move the BSB in range and direct all of his attacks against our Reiksguard.  But that would only give him 2 (or 3?) attacks against the Reiksguard from the BSB, not enough to kill them.

And it would also make the Dreadlord less efficient - I'd rather suffer overkill wounds than actual dead ICK.

Offline Bildskoene Bengtsson

• Members
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 11:58:52 AM »
I also want to challenge. A dead witch is not that bad, since that means no more magic.

Oh, and if we manage to win this battle albeit the elves being perfectly tailored to beat our kind of lists and our incredibly bad luck we are AWESOME!

Offline Windelov

• Members
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2012, 12:34:44 PM »
Blue
No challenge: The d lord will most likely do about 4-8 wounds to the steamtank, the de spears 1 wound, our tgm about 4-6 to spears and our knights 1-2 and the steamgun and engineer about 1. We charged, got rear and flank, they got banner, they run on 6+.

We challenge, metal witch dies, they remain steadfast, our tank takes 6 wounds.  We kill the dreadlord next turn and do not have to fear a magic phase.

I abstain from voting

« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 12:40:59 PM by Windelov »

Offline Cursain

• Members
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2012, 01:37:51 PM »
I may be misunderstanding the DL making way to the knights but doesn't the rule state on pg100 that the character has to be unengaged in HtH to make way through the ranks?  My interpretation of the rule states that the DL is going to be stuck fighting the knights with Luthor Huss, the BSB and the wizard.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline mottdon

• Members
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2012, 01:39:28 PM »
I say challenge.  Either way he is losing a lot of points from a character.  That will help out tremendosly.

• Members
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2012, 01:51:51 PM »
How many more spears have to die to end steadfast?

Offline Windelov

• Members
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2012, 02:03:50 PM »
Fandir: 6

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2012, 02:42:01 PM »
Ok, challenge with the Reiksguard Champion.  No matter who accepts we move to the end of the line, NOT to a second rank, no way Jose.

Dreadlord has to accept with something otherwise he loses the DL or BSB attacks, so he should accept with the Champion.

THEN....

ASF spears go first.  which means he has two or one (makeway with BSB) attacking the IC Knights.  The attacks at the Reiksguard are lost due to the challenge with the Champion.

Then DL and maybe BSB go.  The surviving IC Knights and a single Reiksguard attack (assuming the Reik Champ dies).
"...the most incorrigible vice being that of an ignorance which fancies it knows everything..."  Camus.

• Members
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2012, 02:43:48 PM »
Ok then what happens when we kill those ? Is there a chance that dreadlord is in contact with our Gm ? If yes we should still challenge as we cant lose him and a challenge this turn will end the game next turn with metal witch and dreadlord dead in the dirt.

Offline Windelov

• Members
Sv: Re: Tactical Decision Game 2.7: The Climax
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2012, 02:56:40 PM »
Ok then what happens when we kill those ? Is there a chance that dreadlord is in contact with our Gm ? If yes we should still challenge as we cant lose him and a challenge this turn will end the game next turn with metal witch and dreadlord dead in the dirt.
Good point fandir, i dunno how the rules cover such at situation. If it is possible for the dreadlord to strike the tgm without him being able to hit anything but spears, then we should challenge.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 03:52:42 PM by Windelov »

Offline Friar Metick

• Members
  • Talks with hammer!
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2012, 04:02:01 PM »
Ok, challenge with the Reiksguard Champion.  No matter who accepts we move to the end of the line, NOT to a second rank, no way Jose.

Dreadlord has to accept with something otherwise he loses the DL or BSB attacks, so he should accept with the Champion.

THEN....

ASF spears go first.  which means he has two or one (makeway with BSB) attacking the IC Knights.  The attacks at the Reiksguard are lost due to the challenge with the Champion.

Then DL and maybe BSB go.  The surviving IC Knights and a single Reiksguard attack (assuming the Reik Champ dies).

The challenge would be fought before the ASF spearmen go. Whoops, sorry it looks like your THEN... comment meant the challenge was fought first.  :icon_redface: I still think our best move is to challenge with the Reik champ.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 04:05:01 PM by Friar Metick »
Blessed be those who game.

Friar Metick

Offline mottdon

• Members
Re: Sv: Re: Tactical Decision Game 2.7: The Climax
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2012, 04:16:12 PM »
Good point fandir, i dunno how the rules cover such at situation. If it is possible for the dreadlord to strike the tgm without him being able to hit anything but spears, then we should challenge.

Either way, I think we should challenge because we would be able to get rid of both characters this round and next.  Their combined points total should be enough to put us over the top in VPs.

Also, I would like to get rid of that Metal Witch!  Since we have no magical defence anymore, I'd be fine with him accepting with her this round.  I think that we will be able to hold out until we get to challenge on his turn.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 04:19:46 PM by mottdon »