home

Author Topic: Army Builder  (Read 6245 times)

Offline squig87

• The Dude
Army Builder
« on: July 15, 2003, 09:52:28 PM »
I guess this is a program to build armies from obviously, but what is it? and is it downloadable or does it have to be bought? and if so could somebody give me a link or something
Citizen Erased

Combat311

AB Kick A$$
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2003, 03:06:04 AM »
www.wolflair.com

Yes, you have to buy it!!!

Offline Pido

Army Builder
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2003, 12:28:32 PM »
Sounds interesting, but what do they think? That I just throw up around 40 US Dollars (they have to send it too) while buying all that beautiful Empire stuff? Silly's....;)

Offline Grutch

• Administrator
Army Builder
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2003, 06:28:30 PM »
Pido,

Army Builder is worth every single penny.  Also, they don't have to send it out to you,  they will email you a registration code so you can use it right away!  I believe they also send you a CD in the mail too.  

Dont knock it until you try it out.  

Grutch

Offline Elkerlyc

Army Builder
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2003, 07:55:37 PM »
While I am not against AB as such I do feel that you ought to use it only AFTER you made your first dozen or so armylists with good 'ole pencil/paper.

After you got a good 'feel' for the army you can create new lists quick and easy. Looking good too and easy to read. (anything is compared to my handglyphs.  :D )
History, although sometimes made up of the few acts of the great, is more often shaped by the many acts of the small.

Offline Grutch

• Administrator
Army Builder
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2003, 08:23:22 PM »
Quote from: Elkerlyc
While I am not against AB as such I do feel that you ought to use it only AFTER you made your first dozen or so armylists with good 'ole pencil/paper.

After you got a good 'feel' for the army you can create new lists quick and easy. Looking good too and easy to read. (anything is compared to my handglyphs.  :D )

You're kidding right?  It takes me forever to pencil/paper out a decent list, where Army Builder gives you the tools to quickly add and reduce numbers of troops and have your points adjust in realtime.  
I think after making hundreds of different army lists during a few weeks, I found I had a better "feel" of army composition.

The only thing I don't like in AB is the text summary that it prints out.  It's really a minor annoyance because you can easily modify it to be more presentable within a few minutes.  

-Grutch

Offline Elkerlyc

Army Builder
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2003, 08:32:06 PM »
Nope, not kidding.

Trouble with AB is that it is not perfect and I know this. Another big bonus is that with pen/paper you tend to memorize what troops cost, how much their options cost etc. etc. It's also a sort of mental gymnastics.  :D

In the end you KNOW your list. From then on I use AB.
History, although sometimes made up of the few acts of the great, is more often shaped by the many acts of the small.

Offline squig87

• The Dude
Army Builder
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2003, 08:57:08 PM »
Well I've been using penciling my armies for years now and i find it takes me a while to tweak a decent list. After my orignial post i searched for an army builder demo and some warhammer files. I found the program easy to use although i can only create 500 pt armies  :(  I think i might invest in a copy as i have a good feel for the army already and it would save some valuable playing time. Also when i start my next army I will be able to use the program to muse over my armies. cheers  :D
Citizen Erased

Offline Boris Todbringer

Army Builder
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2003, 10:06:47 PM »
I'm too cheap to buy army builder, but I have borrowed it on occasion. Its really not faster than just writing it out.

The thing is, I have the points cost for most every (empire) unit memorized, and what's more, since my army lists are usually only different only on a couple of points, I have the exact value of my more constant units memorized as well. Army builder is a help when you try
to create an army to look neat and organized, and it beats doing pencil and paper/ calculator math, but why bother buying it when I can pump out a list in 5 minutes anyway?

One of the reasons I might buy army builder though: You could create your own list for an army whose book you don't have! Someone I know does this a lot, and then brags because he says his army would crush me, but then I tell him to buy the army and then we'll see...
You've got questions? I've got a cannon.

Offline IH8Skaven

Army Builder
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2003, 12:57:02 AM »
Quote from: Boris Todbringer
Its really not faster than just writing it out.

Now I've heard lots of reasons not to use AB.  Most are just obstinate Longbeard rationalizations because they think they are ABOVE technology.  Do you hear me Bugman! (We are talking about a race that can't figure out to make their cannons just a bit bigger. ;) )  But this I really have to call to task.  AB IS faster than writing it out.  Bar None.  If you know your list and tweak very little, save your list, load it and tweak for in the future.  

Now if you're too cheap, than that's a personal choice.  At least you didn't steal it.

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
Army Builder
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2003, 02:39:59 AM »
:oops:

I use plain old Excel.  I just paste from other army lists, because like Boris I mostly field the same stuff despite owning enough painted figures for 10 Empire armies.

[/img]
"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do no let your heart rejoice"

Offline squirrelboy

Army Builder
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2003, 05:02:55 PM »
While this is not the best AB it is free.

go to
theminiaturewarzone.com

try google if that does not work.

It has a free generator if you sign up with their site.  Its good, but doesnt have all the armies and it certainly beats spending $40
SqWEaK

Offline CheerfulMortician

Army Builder
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2003, 02:57:53 AM »
Dam beat me to it...

Ya they have a good Amry builder at that minaturewarzone site.
Highly recommended
[Cheerful Mortician]

"If you're short on everything but enemies, you're in combat."
Murphy's Combat Laws

Offline Elden

Army Builder
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2003, 03:14:01 AM »
I use excel myself too! :)  

Setting it up at first is a bit tough, but after that, its just cut and paste!  :p

Offline Van Harken

Army Builder
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2003, 12:09:34 AM »
Try
http://www.thegreatuncleanone.com
Its free but difficult to modify.

Offline Markus

Army Builder
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2003, 06:03:18 PM »
Quote from: Van Harken
Its free but difficult to modify.

And the units isn't in the order you make 'em, so you can sometimes have a hard time on seeing what you have if you do a big army.
"Come on feel the noize!
Girls, rock your boys!"