home

Author Topic: Is a heavy calvery army very beardy?  (Read 2089 times)

Offline Elden

Is a heavy calvery army very beardy?
« on: July 28, 2003, 02:22:37 PM »
Just tossing around a couple of idea.  :)

I am toying with this concept and wonder if it would be seen as cheesy by opponents.  :p

Basically, have 4 units of knights and 4 units of pistoliers!  So, the entire army is mobile!

The knights will have a grandmaster leading an IC unit of knights. He will have a lv 1 mage with him with 2 dispel scrolls.

There will be 2 more warrior priests each leading one unit of knights, and finally, one unit of knights without any charecter.

Plus the 4 pistolier units!  :)

Oh, and one unit of huntsmen to delay and divert some enemy forces. No rare choices taken at all.

Concept is simple and straight forward, charge in, outnumber and overwhelm one flank, then roll up the entire line.

The mage and 2 WP should be able to handle any magic until the calvery gets into battle.

If against heavy shooting armies, then position the knights in front, with the pistoliers behind.  (shooting probably isn't that effective against a 1+ save).

With the speed that this kind of army can give, would probably get into combat by turn 2 so the opposing player only has 1 turn to try something, and if he fails, he is in for a world of hurt...  :p

So, err, is this kind of army too one sided?  Too beardy?  It seems like its made for a Ulric theme since Ulric themed armies love WP, calvery and eschew machines...  :D

Offline IH8Skaven

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2003, 03:06:19 PM »
You will massacre some armies, and get massacred by others.  Either way, I don't think it's a question of beardiness, but a question of overall fun.  

A horde army, if properly played, will crush you.  Just pile unit blocks behind other unit blocks.  If you break through the first line, you overrun/pursue into the second.  His unengaged units flank your knights, and you lose.  

A Skryre Skaven army w/WE will crush you, with the weight of their shooting and magic even with your armor saves and magic defense.

Unless highly mobile, you'll have a heavy advantage against the elves going in.  Just weather the bolt-throwers.  

Aside from Chosen Knights, you'll also have a good leg up on Chaos too.

But I think a player or his opponent could get tired of seeing this army, in rather short order.

Offline squig87

• The Dude
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2003, 07:51:25 PM »
I think this is a good point. The army will only be good against certain foe and rubbish against others. Also there is always a counter for a really hard army anyway and someones bound to have it. I have toyed with the idea of a heavy knight army. But I think knights are best used supported or used in a balenced force. If you can weaken them with shooting then charge them with your knights then your more likely to break them...
Citizen Erased

Offline Elden

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2003, 03:14:13 AM »
Hmmm, ok.

It would probably be silly collecting so many knights and pistoliers anyway.  

I just mentioned this because I have been having great fun painting my knight and they look splendid when arrayed nicely.  :D  

But I guess 3 small regiments of 6 is plenty enough for me!  :p

Offline Grutch

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2003, 12:49:49 AM »
Elden,

I have no qualms against an all Cavalry Empire Army.  THe other comments are right on though,  against a hoarde, you will be challanged.  Personally I'm building a 2150 point Reiksguard army which I intend to use at a future GT in 2004.  

If you want to do it,  go for it!  If your local friends get bored, rotate your lists to a mix and match sometimes. You can keep them guessing on what you will bring to the table next game.  

Chaaarrgeeee!

-Grutch

Offline The Village Idiot

• Empire GT Winner
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2003, 05:46:28 AM »
Quote from: Grutch

Personally I'm building a 2150 point Reiksguard army which I intend to use at a future GT in 2004.

And what would you place in this army? Lots of heavily armored professional elites? Not a militia man to be seen?

The Village Idiot
Quickly everyone, chant the Canticle of the Battalion Concept. Maybe we can convert him!
-Rufus Sparkfire, Imperial Scrivener

Offline queek

• The Old Ones
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2003, 12:51:27 AM »
well, I'll be playing something along these lines for the next couple of months, I'll let you know how it works.   :D

*waves to all the folk from WPS*

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2003, 01:19:56 AM »
Quote from: queek
well, I'll be playing something along these lines for the next couple of months, I'll let you know how it works.   :D

Hey, I like the new Avatar, is that your pet?
"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do no let your heart rejoice"

Offline queek

• The Old Ones
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2003, 03:23:39 AM »
yes.

That avatar pic is Critter, my first fuzzy.  He passed over the Rainbow Bridge about a year and a half ago.  I still have 3  ferrets in house at the moment.  ( hazards of not looking at which file was being uploaded for avatar purposes. . . .)

*edit*  ok, found the "proper" avatar pic for the Warhammer board.  *edit off*

Offline Kaz

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2003, 04:50:22 AM »
Quote from: queek

hello queek :)

can see you ahve allready being busy quoting the rulebook ;)
It is better to be silent and have people think you're stupid, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Offline queek

• The Old Ones
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2003, 02:57:37 PM »
:oops:

only when strictly necessary. . .  :wink: