home

Author Topic: The Cursed Company  (Read 1774 times)

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
The Cursed Company
« on: August 01, 2003, 01:11:05 PM »
Has anyone ever used the "Cursed Company" in a game?  I'm thinking of scrapping my greatswords from my list and purchasing the unit.  

Ever hit you do on an enemy unit generates another skeleton to add to the unit.  Also, you would have yet another hero to help against hard foes.  They also have the same save as a unit of GS and will NEVER flee.  

The downside of my decision is that either my flagellants or my volley gun would have to go!  Not to mention my greatswords.  

This is a unit I'm thinking of taking to the LA GT.  I'll use my 300 point "pool" unit to bring my stubborn greatswords back for games 4-6.  

My fear is the loss of combat power of getting rid of a volley gun, and the greatswords and their valuable detachments, will make an army that has always done well vulnerable.  Thoughts?
"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do no let your heart rejoice"

Offline theharangue

The Cursed Company
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2003, 05:08:30 PM »
My friend ran the Cursed Company in his Woodie army at the last LAGT and he found it just didn't make it's points back.

The leader of the unit is strong.  No doubt.  He stood up to my Lahmian Countess for three rounds of combat once.

However, like any unit of undead it needs to be largish to be effective and it get to be very expensive for what it is.

I think the flages are a great choice and stay within the theme of an empire army much better.

Personnally, while I know that "comp" has been replaced with "theme", DOW units are usually frowned upon by opponents unless you have REALLY figured out a way to make them fit your army.

A big block of undead in the middle of an Empire battle line is gonna stick out like a sore thumb, and I don't think they will really get you much more than the flages.

Except that little "autobreak thing".   :D

Hope you don't run into my army with that unit.  I play VC and I would rather see the cursed company then the flages any day.

-Joseph
"F" is for Fire that burns down the whole town
"U" is for Uranium...Bombs
"N" is for no survivors.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Empire GT Winner
Nope...
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2003, 05:18:36 PM »
I agree with T.H. I don't like the fluff of an undead unit in the middle of an Empire line. Wouldn't the warrior priests attempt to remove this unit from the face of the old world, rather than fight along side of it? I COULD see this unit in any of the undead armies...but it just does not seem right in any army that still has a core body temperature.

The Village Idiot
Undead give me the heebie-jeebies.
Quickly everyone, chant the Canticle of the Battalion Concept. Maybe we can convert him!
-Rufus Sparkfire, Imperial Scrivener

Offline Steel Griffon

The Cursed Company
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2003, 05:40:42 PM »
Urrgh! Cursed Company in an Empire army? They look a bit too evil.

If its a choice between them and the Flagellants, pick the latter. In a losing combat they'd stick around a lot longer as they don't crumble, RnF hit harder, they're faster and they're cheaper (I think).

Offline Grutch

• Administrator
The Cursed Company
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2003, 09:42:28 PM »
As far as effectiveness, I'm not so sure that the Cursed Company will Fare better than the Greatswords.  But I did want to throw my .02 regarding the fluff.  Not all Empire Generals are the good saints that we would expect.  Likewise, Atchmans general Aichman is a zealous hunter of Vampires and is willing to make a shady deal with Richter Von Kreugar since they mutally are indebted to fighting against the undead.  

Yes his warrior priest may scoff at the idea of fighting alongside the Cursed Company, but he can't join the unit, and Armies have been known to recruit the less popular amongst their ranks to survive the next battle.  

If anything, the recruitment of the Cursed Company shows the depths that General Aichman would go to in order to serve his cause.  Sigmar Help him.

-Grutch

Offline theharangue

The Cursed Company
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2003, 11:12:04 PM »
Yes, as Grutch knows only too well how EMpire generals can be wooed by the dark side.

In our campaign my Empire COunt is a evil insane Usurper Emperor swain of a Lahmia.

That aside, I am a fluff queen at heart.

If you want to take an undead DOW in your Empire army go for it.

As Grutch has seen on our other board, I am all about heavy core and fluffy composition.

However, I am a little naive and relatively skilled in tactical games and do well with my core heavy armies.

Not bragging, ask Grutch about my record and rep.

Anyhoo, I just don't like the whole concept of DOW and ROR.  BUt the rules certainly allow you to play them.  And I must commend your boycott against the Steam Tank, but if you are using a Undead ROR with a tooled up unit champion in your rare slot, aren't you throwing the baby out with the bath water?

I liked comp.  I like the RTT guidlines and the arms race that has been inspired by the new GT guidlines has depressed me.

So I will keep beating my fluffy-core drum...over here in the corner...by myself...stop laughing at me you guys...

-Joseph
"F" is for Fire that burns down the whole town
"U" is for Uranium...Bombs
"N" is for no survivors.