home

Author Topic: hochland fluff  (Read 6450 times)

Offline 2841981

• Members
hochland fluff
« on: January 16, 2007, 08:48:30 PM »
im thinking about repainting my old army to be hochland and i need all the fluff possible on them including favoured weapons most commen troops fluff on elite units like the jaegerkorps(specifically them)

so far all i have found is

Hochland is a fictional province within The Empire in Warhammer Fantasy Battles. The state colours of Hochland are red and green. Its capital is the city of Hergig.

Hochland is covered almost completely in dense forest. Its people are famous for their skill with the bow and for Leon Todmeister’s deadly long rifle which was developed from firearms used by the province’s rangers and hunters. Nevertheless, Hochland is a superstitious and backwards place, where the worship of Taal, Rhya and even the nature spirits of the Old Faith is still very strong.

The Middle Mountains lie along one border; no Dwarf holds can be found there, but instead they are infested with Beastmen, trolls and other monsters. The border with the province of Ostland has been much disputed and Hochland must constantly be on guard against its larger neighbour. Sokh and Krudenwald are two villages in the Darkwald Forrest part of Hochland. The Emperor's Hammer and The Red Bear are fortified couching inns on the road to Middenheim. Fort Schippel is one of the castles along the border with Middenland.

The Elector Count of Hochland, Aldebrand Ludenhof, lives in a fortified palace in the centre of the capital Hergig. His son Konrad is the named heir. The Elector has a passion for hunting, and his collection of hawks is unrivalled. This love of hunting is a common trait in all Hochlanders; the nobility in particular spend more time at their forest hunting lodges than they do anywhere else.

Hochland fights many battles against the Beastmen of the forests, though these are more skirmishes than open warfare. They have been aided many times by the Knights of the Blazing Sun, most famously when Gorthor the Cruel almost razed the entire province. The Jaegerkorps, an elite group of marksmen armed with the dreaded Long Rifle, are a key component of the province’s defence – the severed, goat-like heads and flayed hides arrayed outside every settlement are a grim testament to their efficacy.
from the wiki
can anybody point me to some other sources?

cheers

nath
Charge warriors of the Empire and die like the heroes you are!

Offline Alasandril

• Members
  • Rosyth, Scotland
Re: hochland fluff
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 09:36:26 PM »
Greetings from Scotland; The nation that invented Armour Piercing rain

Offline FVC

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 10:49:31 PM »
Also try Critical Hit. Its background is looking a bit out of date these days, but it's still quite good. There is also a little more on Aldebrand Ludenhof on the GW website, though sadly it doesn't talk about the coup and the poor old Tussen-Hochens.

Offline 2841981

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 03:02:02 PM »
cheers ill have a look through them now

nath

Offline 2841981

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 04:27:46 PM »
Okay for those of you who know about hochland fluff what units would and wouldnt be featured in a hochland force?

seeing as they are famed for their handgunners, would there be any crossbowmen in the army?

what about artillery? do they have access to it

cheers

nath

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 09:44:00 AM »
Personally, I think that any province can use any unit in the book - anything that can't be produced locally can be imported or hired as mercenaries. Especially the artillery, which is only made in Nuln (or Altdorf, in the case of rockets and machine guns).

However, if you want to emphasise local troops then use a reasonable number of archers and spearmen.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline RGB

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 05:07:34 PM »
Archers and spearmen and handguns too, apparently, if you read the latest book.

Hochland like Ostland etc. is supposed to be very poor, but at the same time very proud. Warriors from both are supposed to spend the last penny on fancy handguns.

-----

When in doubt though, go with what Rufus says.
[in the good of life]

Offline 2841981

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 03:29:52 PM »
Ah okay cheers.

I think ill give all my heroes handguns (the ones who can take them anyway)
and I will probably take a unit of each missile troops and swordsmen for infantry choices

cheers

Nath

Offline ProFF7

• Members
  • Im from Spain, so plz excuse my english >_<
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 02:14:27 PM »
interesting how in the fluff they talk about units of hochland marksman with HLR, didnt know about them. that reminds me of the first USA riflemen, they were really scary for the enemy, but the weapon was so painfully slow to load that they had forbidden using it if not under serious terrain cover, like bushes.

in my imagination, they could be represented like small units of skirmishers with move or fire weapons (thats how they worked) with BS4, and armed with hochlands. scary for characters  :icon_biggrin: . they would prolly be awfully expensive too, remember a HLR handgunner champion costs about 33pt...
There is no problem that cannot be solved with Cannons

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 01:12:35 PM »
Having a unit of the though, you would need to remove the 'targetting' rules for it if there was a unit - just make it all shots a unit. I think the cost could go down a bit in that case. I would say about 20pts each, unit size 5+. BS4, 36 inch Handgun, scout, move or fire
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Dazgrim

• Members
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 01:44:01 PM »
At 33 points per model I reckon that it wuld only be fair to keep the targeting rule. It was after all the purpose of riflemen through out the Napoleonic period to pick off officers. Plus fluff wise I would envisage the riflemen as expert hunters with years of experience.
Don't hug me I'm British, we only show affection to dogs and horses.

Grenzstadt stands.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2007, 01:53:15 PM »
But they would be extremely unbalanced.... Every Empire army would have them, and most enemy heroes would have no safe place at all. If a unit of 10 could target characters individually
1/ it becomes hard to manage having to roll to hit for each.
2/ probably by the end of the 3rd turn, all enemy characters would be dead.
I'm not arguing as to whether it happens, I just believe that it would be too unbalanced towards us. Unless of course you have a minimum US of 3 or something like that. Even so, I think it would still be too easy to kill all enemy heroes.

Have a look at my Avatar, I'm all for Hochland Long Rifle scouts, however I don't think they should be allowed to target individuals as it would be too powerful.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
  • A mind without purpose walks in dark places
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2007, 04:51:56 PM »
The best you can really do is convert some hochlands onto your huntsmen.  Unfortunatly your stuck with low s3 short range hochlands but they would look the part at least.
Stare into the Abyss and the Abyss stares back.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2007, 12:27:42 AM »
Precisely what I had done... Now huntsmen are no longer in my list, (because I only converted 5) I have a good looking unit of uselessness... Maybe in big games, and I'll throw in some archers...

Offline ProFF7

• Members
  • Im from Spain, so plz excuse my english >_<
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2007, 01:30:59 AM »
i wouldnt bitch too much if they were just implemented as BS4, 36" handgunner skirmishers with move or fire rule (no special targeting) , but at 20pt is a bit too pricey. maybe just call them "Jaegercorps Riflemen" or whatever is fluffier, and add the option for a "Sharpshooter" with BS5 and scoped HLR that has special targeting rules

using Avian "design a unit" page for calculations..

Basic Human: 3pt
Handguns: +5 pts with BS3, +6 pts with BS4 (add +1pt for the increased range)
Skirmish: +1 pt

so using these rules 11pt a model

and even scout, which is +1pt.

i think there was a rule for gunpowder weapons not being able to be scout or something, but with these guys many would agree they could be an exception

There is no problem that cannot be solved with Cannons

Offline 2841981

• Members
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2007, 03:53:59 PM »
it would be nice to have such a unit, but i doubt it will ever happen

unless the nemesis crown supplement adds them

Nath