home

Author Topic: Submissions - Stuff that Needs Doing  (Read 6547 times)

Offline Jerok

• Members
  • Captain Campaign
Re: Submissions - Stuff that Needs Doing
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2007, 10:01:02 PM »
I agree with Ernst on this Guv.

Basicly, if either of our races wins the Crown there really will be a rift for at least a while. I'd rather see us work with them.

Offline Reynard_of_Bogenhafen

• Members
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2007, 11:23:17 PM »
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if we could run my Luthor Huss justification/idea past the Head Narrator?

It works well with current background, and sort of gives us a good reason to be there.

Karl Franz and Teclis had one of their little closed door meetings (see 'tainted blood' from the Blackhearts series by Nathan Long for this) No-one really knows what was discussed, Teclis left swiftly for talabheim and Luthor Huss was sent off into the forests. The spin being Karl Franz under Teclis' guidance sent Luthor Huss into the forest to search for the nemesis crown, to secure it or destroy it his motives are known only to Huss, Karl Franz and Teclis. Along the way Huss secures an army of his own, the survivors of the contribution Bogenhafen made to SoC, and joins with the larger forces at Volksdorf.

Don't know if any of you like this, but it would be nice if you could run it by him/her just to see what they think.

Cheers and good luck with all our games!
Reynard Von Ruggbroder: Von Klaust's laurels of acclamation, bearer of the crimson ribbon, the shield of Valkin, keeper of the scroll of ludendorf, The eagle of Magnus, The Kannagheim Death's Head.

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2007, 08:27:38 AM »
Standing against the Emperors wishes, heresy I say, Helstrom will have Rufus burn you all. But I agree with you Wis, hearing that they are planning on getting the Dwarves to put the Empire in the book of grudges would put us on the same standing as the Elves (not good for us IMHO).

Is it the Empire they are putting in the book of grudges or KF? If it is KF that would lead me to suspect a war of succession to follow!
Veldemere, Elector Count of Solland (Elect)
Quote from: wissenlander
  I'm fine with Veldemere and his retinue of disgruntled's

Offline Guvnor

• Members
  • I'm just north of London
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2007, 02:37:02 PM »
@ Wissenlander: Great point

@ Guvnor: One-up battles don't hold any relevance over history, they are simply a means to a game. Take Tomb Kings vs. Lizardmen for an example. Never should those two armies ever meet upon the field of battle, but they do. Not because it's historical, but for the sake of two players playing a game.

That is what I said. We fight dwarfs in game all the time. If we continue as before, why should it make any difference.

I think you had miscontrued me there.
I have one sentence in response to the engineer and mechanical: Empire is post-feudal age, not post-nuclear age!

Offline Ernst Brauer

• Members
  • Yorktown, Virginia - USA
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2007, 05:07:50 PM »
I think I see where you are coming from Guv, but the game and the fluff are pretty contridictory here. We're going to have to not fight the Dwarves in game for this. We'll need to change our playing a bit. Now granted, we do only represent a small minority of Empire players from around the world, but we can at least do what we can and make our voices heard by great writing and consistancy.

Offline Michael W

• Members
  • In the Name of the Emperor since 2001
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2007, 02:50:57 AM »
So, anybody volunteer for a mission statement yet?  (See the top of this post)

Thanx, gents.   :happy:
Let them taste Reikland steel!
----------------------------

Offline Ernst Brauer

• Members
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2007, 03:06:59 AM »
Hmm...I'm still a bit fuzzy on what the mission statement will be for. Us, them? Is it going to be written from the perspective of us the players or from  our generals?

Offline Michael W

• Members
  • In the Name of the Emperor since 2001
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2007, 04:45:14 AM »
I believe it's a mission statement for the Empire forces under General Helstrom - ie, all of us here.  Basically, what exactly ARE our orders?
Let them taste Reikland steel!
----------------------------

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2007, 09:45:39 AM »
Whilst I agree we need a mission statement and also feel this should come from Helstrom, maybe we should wait until the campaign is launched so we know what the remit of the MS is. It is valid to talk in broad brush terms what we would like the achievements to be but I think it is a little early to make firm plans. This will be my first campaign so there is a strong possibility that I am talking out of the top of my head, if that is the case just say (but be polite, I do have feelings).

Offline Ernst Brauer

• Members
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2007, 02:23:25 PM »
I think you hit the nail on the head there Veld. I agree that a MS should come later once we're all sure what exactly is going on.

Offline Alberich Von Ludenhoff

• Members
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2007, 07:15:00 PM »
I agree we need to know where everybody stands on this and by everybody i mean the other forces that will be involved before any MS goes out.

Offline Jerok

• Members
  • Captain Campaign
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2007, 12:26:17 AM »
First, i'll be posting the latest news out there soon and it will deal with your wants. (wink wink)

Second, the Mission Statement is buried somewhere in the Info thread, i'll dig it out at somepoint. I've just be really busy lately :blush:.

Offline jmanwarhammer

• Members
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2007, 11:44:48 AM »
No thing quite like a campign to bring out the best of the site's trash talking. I love you guys  :-D.
Larry: WOW! Three sixes in a row!
[Elsewhere]
Darth Vader: I feel a disturbance in the force...

Offline General Helstrom

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Chicks dig moustaches
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2007, 01:54:55 PM »
Just a wee bit of input - I think we ought to try and avoid modern unit designations like numbers and corps / army group / task force etc. There really wasn't a whole lot of uniformity in unit organisation during the timeframe the Empire mirrors. As a general guide I've found the following to work:

- A company is the smallest unit and on the table could be represented by a detachment. The company does not break down into platoons or squads; such terms were not developed until later. A smaller group of soldiers would simply be called a group or some other unspecific term like "patrol".

- A regiment is the basic building block of the army. This is represented in game by (wait for it!) a regiment. Regiments are commonly named after their commander, their place of origin, or some characteristic feature/location/person/creature/event they associate with.

- It's become fashionable on this site to refer to a Parent regiment and its Detachments as a "battalion". This is not strictly necessary as the whole group could come from the same regiment, with one or two of its companies being the detachments. The term battalion can, in fact, refer to any grouping of units smaller than the army as a whole (as opposed to the modern version, where the batallion is a subdivision of the regiment). Merriam-Webster has the right idea: "a considerable body of troops organized to act together".

- A bunch of regiments form an army. There really isn't any hard and fast organisation above or below that.

- A particularly large army may be divided into divisions - van, centre, and rear. These have more to do with marching order (the van being the most glorious position, and thus reserved for that nobleman who has made the largest contribution of troops or money to the army) than with any tactical consideration.

- Several armies operating together (usually because the land can't support much more than a few thousand hungry sodliers at a time) can be called anything, really - "crusade" if the Church has a strong hand in it, "grand army" if the overall commander is feeling very confident, or even just "army". Specific naming again is usually achieved by adding the overall commander's name, or the principal location the army operates in / draws its troops from, etc.

- Some terms like (grand) company, brigade and corps are used interchangeably for regiment-level units, mostly at the whim of the unit commander and/or owner looking for a more fancy name for his unit. The same applies to a group of regiments belonging to the same commander.

- Knights operates in companies, it's quite rare to have these units - or indeed any cavalry unit in this age - referred to by another name, although the high-tech Pistoliers and Outriders could be referred to as squadrons.

As you can see, it's really a very muddy affair :icon_biggrin: Therefore I'd stay away from nomenclature that suggests any significant level of uniformity above the regimental level.
I don't know what Caesar thought when he got to the Ides of March
Don't know what Houdini bought when he went to the store
But I sure do miss the eighties

Offline Jerok

• Members
  • Captain Campaign
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2007, 10:03:01 PM »
I've written up a fluffy-esque Mission Statement as per what we have discussed so far. Here it is for editing and discussion. Once it and another item are complete i'll send them off to GW  :happy:.

General Helstrom looked over the final reports for the day, dictating the final numbers gathered up unto the end of the day. His command came from all over the loyal Empire, from the survivors of Middenheim to the Gunsmiths of Nuln, the Royal Guard of Reikland to mercenaries from the Border Princes. He had been called by the Emperor Karl Franz himself to gather the fourth detachment of the Grand Army that was forming in the regions of the Great Forest. Reports were already being received of traitorous ‘allies’ and once-friends who were even now marching armies against the Empire, using the excuses of the Crown or of a Cleansing to justify themselves. The forests would burn with combat.
     And so it should be. The Great Forest had provided a haven for evil all through the Empire’s glorious history, from the taint of chaos to the vile greenskins, evils arose from the depths of the forest to plague to Empires core. General Helstroms detachment had been formed for two-fold purposes. The first to aid the three other detachments in their goal, to find the Crown, but also for other reasons. The Emperor had given Helstrom a special set of orders to be carried out whenever possible during the campaign.
     First was the protection of any important resources and areas within the Forest, in only a few months time the area would be swarming with enemies bent on crippling and raping the lands, and so the Emperor knew that which was important to the land and the people must be protected. The second order was the fortification of the lands. While the areas within the Great Forest were slightly developed, there was never any strong military presence within the Forests to be able to keep watch over the citizens there, and strike at growing threats. And so was it decreed that the forces under General Helstrom should begin the creation of fortresses within the Regions of the Drakwald, to serve both as centers in the War to come, as well as lasting establishments. The forests were to be cleared around the fortresses and those roads that lead to them back at least a bowshots length. The final order came from the great Emperor by request of the many Temples and Deities Priests throughout the Empire, calling for the Drakwald to be cleansed by fire. For this reason Emperor Franz decreed that all areas within the forest deemed tainted by a priest of any deity should be cleansed by fire, and that any who took from within such areas were to be cleansed along with the taint.
     The orders had been given, and the fourth and final mustering of the Grand Army of the Empire continued. The War for the Drakwald was to begin.

Offline Ernst Brauer

• Members
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2007, 01:21:03 AM »
Shouldn't we be refering to all the forests and not just the Drakwald as much of the land we are participating in is also parts of the Great Forest?

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2007, 04:16:46 PM »
Jerok, thanks again for all the work you are putting in trying to making this campaign both productive and relevant, if GW have any sense they will sit up and take notice. Whilst I like your draft to the message to GW and have little further to add myself I would encourage all others to make their comment on this so as when we present our MS it is unified and our fluff will back it up. The only thing I would possibly like to see in there is Helstrom (oh captain, my captain!) charging the Hunters of Sigmar with the mission of rooting out and finding the horrors lying within our Empire, unless others feel this should only be dealt with in fluff?

Keep up the good work!

Offline Powder Monkey

• Members
  • OhohOH Aah AAAHH!!
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2007, 10:59:41 AM »
In German, I believe, it's "Korps" - pronounced more like "corpse."  So for now, it's the Imperial IV Corps or, if my German is close, "das Kaiserlichviertekorps" or "das Viertekaiserlichkorps" (literally Imperial 4th Corps or 4th Imperial Corps) or "das Viertekorps auf das Imperium" (literally The 4th Corps of the Empire)...Oss or Powder Monkey, feel free to fix that.

Should it get used in any form, "Das Vierte Kaiserliche Korps" ("The Fourth Imperial Corps") would be correct, congratulations on your German. For those that want to use a similar description in their own fluff, replace "Vierte" with "Erste", "Zweite" and "Dritte" for first, second and third corps respectively.

Regarding fights against the dwarfs: I see no reason to fight the dwarfs every chance we got for reasons as "They want to use the same road as we do!" (see Campaign booklet). I'd be happy if most imperial commanders thought along the lines of "Why should I waste my men fighting our allies when the forests are teeming with true evils?" My general will send back reports to KF that 'Dwarf armies will be dealt with', which will mean that upon sighting a dwarfen force the enemy commander will at once be invited to drink some beers and coordinate further actions...  :icon_wink:

I personally will report no battles against dwarfs, and would like to see us in general report cooperation with dwarfs, maybe saving their asses once in a while.

Your PM
I'm pro-monkey. Anyone who isn't is evil.

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2007, 11:17:21 AM »
I agree in not reporting the anti dwarf battles, in fact we are planning on doing battles in conjunction with Dwarfs to prove there is not grudge.

On the previous (revived for gramatical reasons I know) subject of a name I say keep it simple 'Helstroms fourth'.

Offline Powder Monkey

• Members
  • OhohOH Aah AAAHH!!
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2007, 11:56:03 AM »
I say keep it simple 'Helstroms fourth'.

But that is normally short for "Helstroms fourth whatever", as in "Helstroms fourth birthday", or "Helstroms fourth personal violin teachers", so it would be strange to only name it "the fourth".

Soldier 1 "I fight for 'Helstroms fourth'!"
Soldier 2 "Helstroms fourth what?"
Soldier 1 "Errrm, I guess... well, just the fourth in general! You know, like, the basic fourth... thing in an army. So nobody confuses us with the third, right?"

Your fourth PM
I'm pro-monkey. Anyone who isn't is evil.

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2007, 12:52:54 PM »
That was exactly my thinking, it could mean whatever the player wanted it to mean, can't believe you got my violin teacher one though!

Offline Jerok

• Members
  • Captain Campaign
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2007, 12:21:47 AM »
I've been referring to it as, in long terms, 'The Imperial Grand Army's Fourth Recruitment under General Helstrom.'

Otherwise it could be known as being 'part of the fourth,' the 'fourth recruitment,' 'Helstroms Fourth' etc. etc.

Updates on the Mission Statement coming soon.

Offline Reynard_of_Bogenhafen

• Members
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2007, 06:28:18 AM »
the final mustering?

we'd really like to hope so, but it's unlikely, remember we do know that archaon isn't dead. this won't be the final mustering by a long shot!

also, A third part for Huss and the hunters of sigmar together, giving them both a standing point. Seeking revenge upon the remnants of the horde, or maybe tying in with the protection of resources if you like.

its just that GW brought KF and Helborg into this, we should bring our Hunters and Huss in now, so that they are recognised early.
Reynard Von Ruggbroder: Von Klaust's laurels of acclamation, bearer of the crimson ribbon, the shield of Valkin, keeper of the scroll of ludendorf, The eagle of Magnus, The Kannagheim Death's Head.

Offline Tostig

• Members
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2007, 01:30:49 PM »
In my opinion we ought to shift the emphasis from diplomacy (which the Dwarfs got the jump on us on) to planning for the campaign proper.

Whereas the Dwarfs went for all out alliances, the Orcs made one strong alliance with the Evil Stunties, and have been planning in detail since then. In my opinion we ought to be doing the same.

We could also sort out some kind of command structure. Jerok could make the big decisions, with someone such as Wissenlander keeping a watch over the other faction's plans and giving us updates, Scarlet Pimpernel style. Under Jerok we could have regional commanders, who everyone would look to when writing fluff about each section of the campaign map.

Above all we need to get the rest of the forum motivated about this campaign, otherwise it'll be a case of generals giving orders to shadows.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2007, 01:34:21 PM »
Here, here!

I've got a post in command structure going, just to get an opinion on what others wanted.  We do need to get organized though.  Most of our alliances haven't worked out this go around, so we need to be extra united!

To me sons of Sigmar!  For the EMPIRE! :wink:
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...