home

Author Topic: The Province of STIRLAND  (Read 117800 times)

Offline klostpret

• Members
Re: The Province of STIRLAND
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2007, 03:08:28 PM »
Ooh, your banner is great!

But, what kind of magic is most used in Stirland?

Offline Mystic Force

• Members
  • Fighting Opponents in Iowa since 2007
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2007, 04:36:15 PM »
I am likewise a Stirlander. The reason I picked Stirland was because I had a VC army that was nominally from Sylvania so it fitted to have some opponents for them

Well smack my arse and call me Cindy!
Leading the charge with the clever use of acronyms W.H.I.N.E.

Offline Graf Alberich

• Members
  • Stirland: Getting you drunk on wine since 50 A.S.
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2007, 07:47:50 PM »
Hello, this is my second day here and so far i'm lovin' it! :biggriin: The community is great and, after searching forever for a site like this, i feel like I am home. :closed-eyes: If you'd add me to the list of Generals i would be honoured. Here are my statistics. Graf Alberich-62nd Stirland State Corps- Captain Jarelius Vaunsten.

I'd add a picture but i can't figure it out.  :dry:
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 07:55:14 PM by Graf Alberich »
There are small ships and tall ships but the best ship is friendship. A friend said that to me once. I always say the best ship is the one with the bigger guns.

Offline prinny22

• Members
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2007, 11:59:44 AM »
Hi there one and all thought I would add myself to this mighty post, I am just starting up and Empire army after a few years break from the hobby, have always wanted to do a Stirland Army.

Will post a few pics over the weekend of my first units, and will also have a name for the army  :-D

Offline beari

• Members
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2007, 04:47:17 PM »
Hello everyone!

*first post*  :Ohmy:

I founded this forum only few days ago, but after seeing this thread decided to register. After playing about five to six years 40k with orks, decided to try my luck with Empire in Fantasy.

But yes, Stirland it is. Two of my friends have Vampire Counts and me being much of a fluffplayer, decided to build an army which would have  good reason to fight most of battles against Vampire Counts. That is the main reason why i decided to go under the banner of Stirland.

For now i have only a mere Captain, that got only few troops to command, without a permanent recident. My army/patrol is roughly about 1000 points. Allthought i have heard rumours about an Empire warrior Priest, who should take charge of my troops and he should bring lots of flagellants and Free company with him. Also an Master Engineer has been sent to aid. Maybe with those guys i could achieve some victories against Vampire Counts. :)

...so yes, most of my army are still without paint, so no pictures and names yet. Maybe in near future :)

Offline Soju

• Members
  • personal text goes here
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2007, 06:23:52 AM »
Hey bro, welcome to the boards (about a month late bahahahahahaha but all good).

Your story is similar to mine, I was 40k Ork player too, for about 5-6 years, before hitting the Warhammer Fantasy universe with Empire. Originally an independent state, I think my lot are definitely Stirlanders now!

Post heaps once you get started!

sj

Offline oak_prince

• Members
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2007, 02:37:25 AM »
Okay - so I was scared away from playing Stirland because of its backwater nature(I want to use lots of pistoliers and a helblaster).

But then I read about past emperors being from Stirland, et cetera. Stirland being a strong contender in the Vampire Wars/Civil Wars.  Is Stirland's decline a recent thing?
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone".

Offline Soju

• Members
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2007, 11:16:38 AM »
I'm not really sure... but this is how I take it.

With the advent rise of Altdorf and Nuln (after Magnous the Pious set up the magic schools etc), more or less, Stirland has remained 'traditional' agrarian Empire, where as other city states moved on to be more urban. I don't think Stirland actually went into a decline per se... just that it never really moved fast enough to catch up to the other cities.

I only came to this conclusion because
1; obviously Stirland is based on Imperial Russia - which too didn't 'decline' against other European states, but rather, never really got off its feet.
2; I don't recall any specific event which actually 'led to' the decline of Stirland, if there was.

I'm not sure if Stirland was the source of some Emperors as well as being the Capital of the Empire one time or another (my fluff is so twisted - writing essays at the moment lol) ... but yeah... it was fairly important a state... but didn't become a run down back water state... I think it has always been one, but with relatively few development ACROSS its territories (like, sure the cities may be more urbanised, but doubt they would consolidate that development into rural areas).

Just my take on this.

sj

Offline MrAnderssen

• Members
  • Stirland River Patroler
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2007, 07:58:36 AM »
woah, hes written a bloody essay!

Mr.Anderssen

Offline Wyzer1

• Members
  • ^My Pic - Stuff I say ->
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2007, 11:01:29 PM »
I founded this forum only few days ago, but after seeing this thread decided to register. After playing about five to six years 40k with orks, decided to try my luck with Empire in Fantasy.
That is the best typo I have seen yet  :-D

Also an Master Engineer has been sent to aid.
Send him back! lol

You Stirlanders got it lucky. Our Inquisitorial counsel was behind on burnings, and we decided to torch Stirland. We had all the votes counted and were going to execute it, when someone brought up the point that its "immoral" Bah, would wold have thought... A tax collector with morals  :|

lol, Im actually looking into starting a Stirland army. My Averland army is full, my Altdorf army is nearing completion, and I am looking for another province to play  :roll:
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 11:03:58 PM by Wyzer1 »
Long time Wood Elf and Empire player with newly acquired High Elves

Offline oak_prince

• Members
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2007, 07:53:12 AM »
Definitely some food for thought. Thanks for your insights.
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone".

Offline beari

• Members
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2007, 07:28:35 AM »
Hey bro, welcome to the boards (about a month late bahahahahahaha but all good).

Your story is similar to mine, I was 40k Ork player too, for about 5-6 years, before hitting the Warhammer Fantasy universe with Empire. Originally an independent state, I think my lot are definitely Stirlanders now!

Post heaps once you get started!

sj

heh, thanks. Allthought now i dont know anymore in which army i mainly belong. For now we are playing an campaign where the main theme is to secure the river Stir (or actually river Templa ) so the Dwarfs of the World Edge mountains can have some trading with the Altdorf. So now i have Altdorf troops on my command too...

« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 07:32:07 AM by beari »

Offline Mr.Carloff

• Members
  • The haughty adventurer.
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2007, 05:15:55 AM »
Posted my own Banner Bearers. Based on Warhammer MoC

Khem, now painting Freya themmed banner. :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 04:12:17 PM by Mr.Carloff »
"... Fear not the Steam Tank or Hochland long rifle, for the roaring drunk halberdiers are more dangerous, and infinitely more common - in all sense of the word."
- Sir Gilbert de Arnaud, "Letters Ho

Offline Soju

• Members
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2007, 10:19:15 AM »
OMG bro... nice job on those! I think the second one can use a little clean up around the bottom edges, but ... damn! it's great!

sj
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 12:35:16 PM by Soju »

Offline MrAnderssen

• Members
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2007, 10:54:11 AM »
what is zomg, soju?

what does the the z stand for?

Mr.Anderssen

Offline Soju

• Members
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2007, 02:36:22 AM »
I have no idea, a lot of my nerdy l33t friends say it. I think it's the exaggeration factor (like, more surprised than omg). And plus it sounds funny. Zomagod.

What is this, inquisitorial questioning? You all know that Stirland generals like myself have every absolute right to do whatever I *gagged* ...

=][=

Offline MrAnderssen

• Members
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2007, 05:22:08 AM »
I have no idea, a lot of my nerdy l33t friends say it. I think it's the exaggeration factor (like, more surprised than omg). And plus it sounds funny. Zomagod.

What is this, inquisitorial questioning? You all know that Stirland generals like myself have every absolute right to do whatever I *gagged* ...

=][=

What is L33t. lol. I gotta get out more.

Mr.Anderssen

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2007, 09:28:49 AM »
what is zomg

What is L33t

Someone looking for a head-on meeting Face to Face with a Mace

Special dispensations are for one word only ...............
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline MrAnderssen

• Members
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2007, 10:59:48 AM »
Lol. You've made the old guy angry now Soju.

Mr.Anderssen

Offline Soju

• Members
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2007, 12:36:52 PM »
Original post edited for purpose of keeping sanity here.

I apoligise for the word which led to the series of offtopic conversations here.

Let's keep it on-topic now, our great state of Stirland!

sj

Offline thor fadelson

• Members
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2007, 09:55:12 PM »
They say that stirland is one of the most unknown and insignificant provinces of the mighty empire, but it is defiantly not. Maybe the fact that it is insignificant and not so powerful attracts people, it certainly attracts me, yes in that way!!! :ph34r:

Offline Soju

• Members
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2007, 05:36:06 AM »
Yeah I see what you mean. It is one of those, broadly described, but never really 'delved into' in quantity... type of region in the Warhammer world eh.

I mean you do hear a fair bit of fluff or non-canonical information on Altdorf, Kislev, Nuln... but nothing really about some of the peripheral regions like Stirland and the Border Princes' Territories...

I do find it attractive because it is clearly a wink at Imperial Russia though... and I always find that culture fascinating. :)

Welcome to the boards and Stirland provincial board thor fadelson!

sj

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2007, 10:10:06 AM »
I do find it attractive because it is clearly a wink at Imperial Russia though... and I always find that culture fascinating. :)
sj

Imperial Russia... nah  more like Imperial Arkansas or Royal Kentucky.  Every good Stirlander sports a mullet under his cap and enjoys a fine afternoon of noodling along the river Stir.

Offline Soju

• Members
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2007, 08:18:57 PM »
LOL You know... I was watching the local music channel the other day, and the song with P Diddy and Nelly came on... and they were wearing all green and yellow sports gear. And I was like... 'wo... Stirlanders'...

So ummm that was my story of seeing real life Stirlanders. :D

sj

Offline Barbosa

• Members
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2007, 09:14:45 PM »
I, Baron Wulfgang Barbosa have decided to choose the area of Stirland as my area of care.  :::cheers:::Also, I wanted some feed back on the idea of creating my own town/city called "Roe". Once only the sight of a small poor hamlet built around a chapel guarded by The Knights Crimson, now it sits a fortified sheild to the East. My army has a steam tank, however and I hope it doesnt look too out of place. I have a group of greatswords I am converting to look like Highlanders, one even has a set of pipes! Let me know what you all think. :ph34r: Oh yeah my uniform colr is a combined yellow and white, a pear type.  :Ohmy:
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 09:17:00 PM by Barbosa »
"Black powder weapons are not a crutch...but they can be good reasons for Elves to use crutches!"