home

Author Topic: The Province of AVERLAND (+ The Moot)  (Read 119301 times)

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
The Province of AVERLAND (+ The Moot)
« on: May 05, 2007, 03:35:47 PM »
Averland is the southernmost province of the Empire, through which runs the Old Dwarf Road to the infamous Black Fire Pass.

Library Link:      http://www.warhammer-empire.com/library/guide/averland.php

Current Ruler:  Disputed
Capital:
Province Colours: Black and Yellow
Economy: Mainly based on agriculture.
Common Symbols:

Map Link:  (Colour)    http://www.fys.ku.dk/~blicher/Averland_v2.jpg

(Black & White)  http://www.fys.ku.dk/~blicher/Averland_v2_bw.jpg

The Moot (Colour)    http://www.fys.ku.dk/~blicher/Moot_v2.jpg

The Moot (Black & White)  http://www.fys.ku.dk/~blicher/Moot_v2_bw.jpg

Notes:

« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 09:59:01 AM by rufus sparkfire »
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline farmer

• Members
  • Victory is life
Re: The Province of AVERLAND (+ The Moot)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 05:13:36 PM »
Hello to all my fellow Averlanders out there.
I thought I would tell you a little bit of the fluff regarding my army. Its basically The Grand Army of Averland, its based in Averheim the army is lead by General Lucas Reinhart.

Lucas Reinhart
Lucas was born the son of a farmer. Farming was not for Reinhart and every night after seeing to the animals he would lie under the stars dreaming about joining the army, being dressed up in a polished suite of the finest armour.

When he was old enough he left his farthers farm and joined the local army barrcks. Reinhart was made for the army, the first few years were not what he thought the army would be like. He would find himself on the battle field with a Halbeard and an old rusting helmet. Not the thing that dreams are made of . He stuck with it and started to get noticed by the higher ranks. After a couple of years he made Sergeant and had the chance to lead his own men into combat. Things were looking up.

The barrcks in Averheim were having an open day where members of the public could come in and look around. Many people signed up or sign their children up. Marius Leitdorf was the guest of honer and he wanted to do an inspection of his troops. The word got out, and the place turn to chaos troops getting into line and formation, Lucas lined up at the head of his unit standing to attention. As the inspection continued Lucas was getting nervous he'd never seen Marius Leitdorf close up. Marius got in front of Lucas and stopped, Lucas was thinking "why has he stopped at me" Marius said nothing, just staring at Lucas. 5 minutes passed then 10 still Marius stood there looking at him, then Marius broke has gaze and said "This man is to lead my Great Swords" everybody was stunned none more than Lucas. Was this just another of the Counts mad ideas or did he really see something in Lucas.

Lucas took his new post in the Counts Castle and he took his oath never to flee the battlefield. As the years passed Marius and Lucas became good friends. Lucas was one of Marius's closest allies. Marius made Lucas a honore member of the house of Leitdorf.

Then came the day that no Averlander would forget. Word had came from Black Fire Pass that a huge Whaaaaaggghh was coming. Marius sent a massager to Altdorf requesting help. When the army got to the pass they set camp and waited for the reinforcements from Altdorf to arrive. The morning of the battle and Lucas awoke feeling weak he looked in the mirror he was as pale as a ghost. He redyed himself for battle. When the Great Swords saw the state he was in they sent for the medics. Lucas was sent to the field hospital. Marius came to see his friend before the battle. Lucas broke down and apologized, Marius told his friend not worry. He would lead the Great Swords in person and that they would drink to their victory later that night. As the day passed all Lucas could do was lie their listening and thinking about the battle and his men. The battle was won but at a high price Averland had won its freedom but lost it's Elector Count. Lucas has never forgave himself for what happened to his friend and leader it should have been him in the face off not Marius.

With so many of the top Generals and nobels dead Lucas was Promoted to General of all Averland. He has sworn guard Averland and seat of the Elector until a replacement for Marius Leitdorf can be found.

Lucas Reinhart leading The Knights of the Blazing Sun

Helblaster readying itself to fire

"We fight them with our steel, we fight them with our courage, but above all we fight them with our faith in Sigmar!"

(Magnus the Pious outside the gates of Kislev)

Offline Wyzer1

• Members
  • ^My Pic - Stuff I say ->
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 11:29:20 PM »
You forgot to mention how Averland is the best province, other than that fairly good information  :-D

I'll take some pics of my army tonight, maybe get some posted tommorrow. Its nothing too aweful special, but its always fun to look at a fully painted army anyways

Anyone else not particularlly artistic? I try, but trying to paint an eyeball is just so damn difficult. I'm getting a little better, but to do a "good" job, which is to say no shading or anything, takes me FOREVER. Sometimes the paint dries on the brush before it makes contact with the model...
Long time Wood Elf and Empire player with newly acquired High Elves

Offline Otaku

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 07:53:03 PM »
The Averlanders from Mordhiem or no longer in the online store. Did they stop producing them???

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 08:55:49 PM »
Yes Brian - about 18 months ago now.

Not enough sales apparently - people were making human bands out of the Militia boxes.

Kislev, Averland and Ostlanders all went.
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Guildenstern

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 04:52:55 PM »
I'm going to paint my Averländer white/yellow black/yellow and black/white/yellow. However my nobles get green/pink and blue/pink colours.
Small black yellow squares look good. TVI has black/yellow in all of his themes. The Averland is known to be rich I thought...
Black/yellow was the signal colour of free cities (Reichsstädte) in mediaeval Germany.

Marius Leitdorf's Brother leads the knightly order of Sigmar's Blood.
Guildenstern
My Blog

Offline Guildenstern

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 02:38:05 AM »
Quote from: Critical Hit
Source: http://www.criticalhit.co.uk/content/view/94/52/1/1/
Military Colours: The traditional colours of Averland have always been black and yellow but as is the want of the nobility to be exclusive they tend to either add their own additions or ignore the pattern altogether and use completely different colours. This certainly holds true for the League of the Hammer, which favours blue and white diamond patterns, while the League of Weinberg, not wholly going against tradition, chooses red and yellow stripes. The League of the Vine, however, sticks rigidly to tradition as its troops wear the black and yellow.

Hence we got one of the biggest degree of freedom 'bout that issue
Guildenstern
My Blog

Offline Wyzer1

• Members
  • ^My Pic - Stuff I say ->
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 02:42:10 AM »
Eh, I was always a fan of the good ol' black and yellow, hence:  :-)

Or  8-)

Nice to see another Averlander anyways, look forward to army pics (someday I might actually take some of mine... its harder when I dont have teh internet a la home)
Long time Wood Elf and Empire player with newly acquired High Elves

Offline Guildenstern

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 02:50:16 AM »
I would like to add this link:  http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=17589.0

Actually it seems there are three official knightly orders related to Averland.
1. The Oder of the Blazing Sun - which has a typical black/gold(=yellow) scheme.
2. The order of the black bear - eavy metal gave them a red/gold shield (Weinberg?)
3. The order of Sigmar's Blood - Artwork shows them with red/black sleeves like Carroburg's Greatswords

Has anyone any fluff about the Mountainguard and the Bearjeagers?

PS: Imperial forge mailed me once pictures of a great unit of b/y coloured knights (battle master knights) I think someone else has painted them. I will ask him by time if I can show the pics.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 02:54:24 AM by Guildenstern »
Guildenstern
My Blog

Offline FVC

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 04:02:33 AM »
Huh? There's no link between colour scheme and provincial allegiance, particularly when you're talking about knights, which do not wear provincial uniforms.

Offline Guildenstern

• Members
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 01:13:35 PM »
Huh? There's no link between colour scheme and provincial allegiance, particularly when you're talking about knights, which do not wear provincial uniforms.
True in case of provincial allegiance. However I thought many players are interested in having knights which also fit in the army colour scheme. I think it is a lucky accident that the order of the blazing sun and the black bear fit exactly to the provincial scheme.
Guildenstern
My Blog

Offline Hendrid

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 12:09:38 PM »
Black/yellow was the signal colour of free cities (Reichsstädte) in mediaeval Germany.

@Guildenstern - Do you have any more info on the Free Cities colours etc? Would like to have some more info on this if you know any sources. Thinking Merchant Cavalry, that kind of thing for my Averland Army, but also for my WAB German Medieval army.

Thanks

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 08:51:35 PM »
in some of the warhammer story books and the role play game they mention provincial chapters of the same knightly order. warhammer rules used to say that in multi player games that all knights of an order would group together for the game, and that sometimes they would face each other as opponents when provinces etc went to war against each other.    so I am sure that knightly orders would be prone to disclose where they are from.  steveb

Offline Von Breden

• Members
  • Remembering the Eccentric
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2007, 02:27:56 PM »
I have two questions. First of all, could anyone provide me with a picture of a model of a Knight of Sigmars blood, since I'm taking them in my army?

Next question: when was the battle where Marius Leitdorf fell? I'm reading Darkness Rising: the complete history of the storm of chaos, and it quotes what 'the elector of Averland' says at the conclave of light. Now since we do not have an elector count at the moment, this leaves me thinking: when was this battle?
Quote from: Siberius
I never noticed your height on account of your fabulous manly imperial beard.

He who has such amazing facial hair will never be short in the eyes of his comrades!

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 05:47:43 AM »
From GW Website: http://us.games-workshop.com/games/warhammer/empire/painting/knights/gallery/default.htm

The Knights of Sigmar's Blood have a long and proud history. Led by their Grand Master Hans Leitdorf, brother of the Elector Count of Averland, their ranks are filled with the men of noble houses across the Empire. Their selection process is considered extreme even among the other Orders, as each Knight in training must spend a year in study within the church where he is judged by the priests as to his worthiness.

I don't believe the story (In the rear of the Empire Codex) has a year that tells us when our elector count was slain by an Orc Warlord (who was later dispatched by Karl Franz himself). If you haven't red the fluff yet at the end of the codex, do so, it is well done. Leitdorf went out like an elector count should. Surrounded by his great swords, they went down fighting as they were awash in a sea of green.

Addressing the soldiers not matching province colors. Fluff dictates that actually Averlanders will wear more gaudy and boisterous uniforms rather than the colors of the province. Depending on the leader, units will dress however flamboyant they please, but the elector count and most generals usually uniform their soldiers in the provincial colors. State funded soldiers in my army will wear the provincial colors with a few flamboyant touches. Averland is a province of great wealth so you will see more polished armor and expensive clothing and weapons.   

:closed-eyes:

Guess I should Introduce myself aswell, I am Karl Voss, Captain of the militia of Loningbruck - one of the largest towns next to our great capital of Averheim. Loningbruck is one of the largest producers of fine wines in the entire old world. It lies along the Upper Reik river not terribly far from the old dwarf road and only about a 100 miles SW of the capital itself. Thus, Loningbruck sees a lot of trade move through and is home to the more wealthy nobles and their estates. We boast a state funded garrison of about a hundred men of various specialties and can call up about 300 trained militiamen.

We stand ready to server the Emperor and our Elector Count (who I assume is now Hans Leitdorf?)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 10:15:39 PM by Karl Voss of Averland »
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline Von Breden

• Members
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2007, 09:34:52 PM »
We have no elector at the moment. Yes, I've read the book, and yes, I know how our elector died - it's the main reason why I chose Averland. But since it's not in the book, I ask you: when was this battle? Especially since, well, Darkness Rising says he was around during the SoC.

I had also noticed this picture and corresponding fluff, but I actually wanted to see a model.

He who has such amazing facial hair will never be short in the eyes of his comrades!

Offline Michael W

• Members
  • In the Name of the Emperor since 2001
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2007, 05:25:52 PM »
I'd love to give you a straight answer, but the NEB is less helpful than anything else.  According to it, The Emperor was elected in 2502.  In 2519, he marched to war to aid Averland against Orcs.  But then it says that later Leitdorf caused trouble suppressing the Halfling uprising...of 2502.  But that's the year of the Emperor's ascension and 17 years prior to the mention of Leitdorf's first request for military aid for the Emperor.

So.  I'd say to assume that 2502 is supposed to be 2522, and it's just a typo...but SoC was last year, in 2521, and it's quite clear that Leitdorf was dead prior to the main campaign. 

So.  2502 is a typo for the Halfling uprising (maybe it's 2520?), and Leitdorf died...somewhere between 2520 and 2521.  Either way, the orc attack that resulted in Leitdorf's death bears no mention of having anything to do with the SoC, so it's logical to assume that it was prior to and unrelated.  So Lietdorf probably died in late 2520 or very early 2521.  I'd say Darkness Rising is just wrong.

Or the speaker was one of the competitors for the throne of Averland who just happened to beat out his competitors and make the trip to the Conclave, hoping that his presence would earn him Imperial recognition and assure his candidacy.  And it hasn't.  Yet.
Let them taste Reikland steel!
----------------------------

Offline Von Breden

• Members
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2007, 05:28:20 PM »
It literally says 'the Elector of Averland'. Damn you Phil Kelly!
So, it's a typo... I have a WD that provided me with some fluff about the Halfling Uprising, I'll look the date up when I'm back in Mol tomorrow.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2007, 10:03:43 PM »
Who do you think will be the Elector in the stead of Marius? His brother Hans? Countess Ludmilla Alptraum was the Elector before him right? Marius died in 2520 in the Third Battle of Black Fire Pass and I figure Nemisis Crown took place in 2526 (correct me if i'm wrong). So Averland has had no Elector count for six years?

Also here is a site I found which combined dates in order onto a time line using various books and stories. Sadly it sheds no light on the Halfling Uprising date.

http://www.freewebs.com/kalevalahammer/timeline2500.htm
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 10:07:03 PM by Karl Voss of Averland »
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Offline Von Breden

• Members
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2007, 10:17:05 PM »
I hope we don't get a new Elector in the first few years, since my fluff is based on Jakob von Breden's quest to give Hans Leitdorf his rightful position, and I don't want it all ruined because Gav Thorpe says 'say, we have some interesting fluff here... Let's remove it!'

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2007, 10:55:42 PM »
I found this one players Summarization of changes in Averland from WFRP v1 to v2.

Averland
Grand Countess Ludmilla von Alptraum was 77 years old at the start of The Enemy Within campaign.  She lived long enough to send Feldmarschall Marius Leitdorf to assist the beleaguered Ostlander forces at the Battle of Wolfenburg in 2514.  The old Countess died shortly after and was succeeded by her eldest daughter, Baroness Marlene.  Unfortunately, Marlene passes away from the plague that ravaged the land after the war.  Marlene’s only surviving child and heir, Helena, abdicated in favour of her husband, Marius Leitdorf.  Elector Count Leitdorf did not rule long, having been killed by an Orc Warlord in battle near Black Fire Pass in 2520.  His eldest unnamed son succeeded Marius.

Since I see no fluff even mentioning Marius having a son, so I agree with Jakob von Breden. Hans probably should be rightful elector and the title should be kept in the Leitdorf family. Lonigbruck, having close ties to the Leitdorf family, would honorably defend their right to Elector if the Alptraum family tries to take control of the Elector's position.

Offline Von Breden

• Members
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2007, 12:40:55 AM »
His unnamed son, that made me laugh :biggriin:.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2008, 05:35:08 PM »
Hi folks!

Been doing some "research" before finalizing my plans for an Avenlander army.

There are two lists of Averland towns that I'm familiar with at this point. The first is on this site: http://home16.inet.tele.dk/cobra/wfrp/averland/gazetter.htm (the home16 site), and the second is here: www.madalfred.darcore.net/gazetteers/Averland_v2.doc (the madalfred site).

First some info ...

There seems to be 7 towns listed on both sites, Agbeiten, Averheim, Hochsleben, Loningsbruck, Pfunzig, Streissen, and Wuppertal. The "home16" site has 9 other towns not on the "madalfred" site with Marlenburg being listed as the town that protects the Black Fire Pass (BFP), while the "madalfred" site lists 10 other towns not on the "home16" site with Grenzstadt protecting the BFP. Also, there is a town on the "madalfred" site called Obernzenn with a leader named Baron Hannes von Mecklenburg.

Additionally, the list on "home16" site seems to have been last updated on 4/28/00, and with the Warhammer date of 2522 I.C. listed on the "madalfred" site, I am hypothesizing the latter list is the newer one, and there seems to be a map associated with the "madalfred" site.

The questions ...

1.  Does anyone have info on how these lists were developed?
2.  Does anyone know of a map, if any, associated with the "home16" site?
3.  Does anyone know why the two lists have so many differing towns on them?
4.  Does anyone know why there is a difference between the two lists as to what the name of the town is that protects the BFP?
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2008, 11:57:38 PM »
I'm going to paint my Averländer white/yellow black/yellow and black/white/yellow. However my nobles get green/pink and blue/pink colours.
Small black yellow squares look good. TVI has black/yellow in all of his themes. The Averland is known to be rich I thought...

Marius Leitdorf's Brother leads the knightly order of Sigmar's Blood.
I'm planning on using black and yellow as the color scheme for my initial units. I'm considering calling it the Aver River Regiment (although I've seen reference to the Aver River Guard), and maybe they will be part of the League of the Vine. Also, the 1st battalion will have blue feathers and ribbons (in honor of the river), the 2nd battalion will have green (in honor of the vines), and the 3rd battalion will have purple (in honor of the grapes). :icon_cool:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2008, 12:03:30 AM »
Quote from: Critical Hit
Source: http://www.criticalhit.co.uk/content/view/94/52/1/1/
Military Colours: The traditional colours of Averland have always been black and yellow but as is the want of the nobility to be exclusive they tend to either add their own additions or ignore the pattern altogether and use completely different colours. This certainly holds true for the League of the Hammer, which favours blue and white diamond patterns, while the League of Weinberg, not wholly going against tradition, chooses red and yellow stripes. The League of the Vine, however, sticks rigidly to tradition as its troops wear the black and yellow.

Hence we got one of the biggest degree of freedom 'bout that issue
It would be neat to eventually have units with these different color schemes available for use with my army. :icon_cool: