home

Author Topic: The City State of NULN  (Read 44650 times)

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
The City State of NULN
« on: May 05, 2007, 03:38:05 PM »
The Empire's second city by population, but it lays claim to being the first with regard to the Arts and its social life. As well as the Gunnery School it boasts the famous University of Nuln.

Library Link:   http://warhammer-empire.com/library/aisforaltdorf/the-city-state-of-nuln/

Current Ruler: Countess Emmanuelle von Liebwitz

State Colours: Black

Map Link:  (Colour) http://www.fys.ku.dk/~blicher/Nuln_v2.jpg
    (Black & White)  http://www.fys.ku.dk/~blicher/Nuln_v2_bw.jpg

Notes:
Home of the Gunnery School
The Knights Griffon used to be based at a Temple to Sigmar, but moved their HQ to the Cathedral of Sigmar in Altdorf.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 09:54:50 AM by rufus sparkfire »
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Davido

• Members
Re: The City State of NULN
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 12:45:05 AM »
I have a touch over 2500pts of Nuln. People whine about the excessive artillery but what is Nuln all about.
Yay my rocket battery finally killed something.What do you mean those are my halberdiers.

Offline brother ducat

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 08:44:26 PM »
Themed items for a Nuln Army.

Magic Armours -

The Gilded Armour - A gift to Magnus the Pious.

Dawn Armour - A Gold order creation.

Talismans -

Shroud of Magnus - Magnus the Pious.

Holy Relic - The most famous of which is used by the Arch Lector of Nuln.

Enchanted Items -

Rod of Command - A gift to Magnus the Pious.

Icon of Magnus - A relic of Magnus the Pious.

Magic Standards -

Steel Standard - A Gold order creation.

This is working on the premise that Nuln and its foundries would be an Ideal place for many of the Gold order to practise their arts, Which also possable then allows the inclusion of

Laurels of Victory - Golden laurels enchanted by wizards(They are GOLDEN, Tenuous perhaps).

Themed Characters for a Nuln Army -

Arch Lector

Gold order wizards

Themed Units for a Nuln Army -

Handgunners

Cannons

Mortars

« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 06:51:51 PM by brother ducat »

Offline Phydox

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 01:08:29 PM »
I play an army from Nuln, but not because I like artillery and handguns.  I play Nuln because my local game store started a Mordheim campaign, and models had to be painted.  I was playing 40k at the time, and knew I had a fantasy starter box in my closet with Empire troops.  So I decided to do a Reikland warband, but needed it painted fast. I knew Nuln was in/near Reikland...So, black uniforms, bone hats, a little regimental color, flesh and metal....done.

My Nuln Warband won that Mordheim campaign and my captain returned to Nuln as the toast of the town.  The Mordheim campaign was so popular that the local store decided to try Warbands next.  So, the Nuln warband of Mordheim got expanded.  Then the local store decided to do an escalation league, and the Nuln warband got even larger.  Today I probably have 3500 points of Empire.

I don't play a standard Nuln force with lots of shooting.  My army is more traditional Empire.  Actually even more towards the close combat end of the spectrum.  The reason for this is I say that my army is actually a Nuln Expeditionary Force, traveling the world in the name of Nuln (and looking for technology for the Gunnery school).  Finding new technology keeps the army fed.  So, my Nuln force has experienced a lot of attrition over the years.  Thats why theres not a lot of cannon or handguns.  I've started to add new models from different races as filler to create a "mob" or conscript look to my army.

When my army was in its infancy, during the Mordheim campaign, we had a message board to post challenges an stuff, and I used that board to write little stories about my warband, introduce characters, make challenges...just had a good time.  When I would play it would be funny because people I didn't know would stop in to see the real life models of the characters from my stories, and watch my games- so they could see the transition from game to story.  I still do that.  When I play a game against someone from my local store, I always write a story bringing in key elements from the battle.  I think it adds fun, excitement and motivation to the group.

The models of my army (specifically the models from my original Mordheim warband) have another meaning. for me.  One of the players from that original Morheim campaign became a rival, and a very good friend.  Our battles would always come down to the wire.  Well, that friend passed away suddenly a short time ago, and at first I found it very difficult to play or even open my army cases.  I really missed playing and laughing with the guy.  I guess time heals, because I'm back playing and now my army is special to me because as I'm settting up, or playing, I see a specific model and laugh or smile because it reminds me of a specific game with him and the fun we used to have.

My friend's main army was Empire also, so we would have some nasty games.  During one game we decided to do a campaign where Nuln was trying to secede and become independent.  Altdorf (his army) was trying to stop them.  Well he destroyed me, and as penance I had to field knights in my army painted up as Reikland Knights.  In our alternative universe, the Reikland knights were there as observers for the Nuln army to make sure they did what they were told and no funny business.  I also use Reikland knights on foot as my greatswords so it all kinda fit.  I painted their detachments the colors of Altdorf.

Hope I changed everyone perspective about Nuln.  Now maybe so many people, when they see my army, won't say "Nuln huh?  Where's the steamtank, handguns and all the cannons?" :-D

Gadzooks!!!  Release the Pigeon Bombs!

Offline Wyzer1

• Members
  • ^My Pic - Stuff I say ->
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 05:41:46 PM »
Holy Relic - The most famous of which is used by the Arch Lector of Nuln.
Themed Characters for a Nuln Army -

Arch Lector

omg I forgot about that! Arch Lector + Pope Mobile + Handgunners + Artillery...

Man, I may just start a nuln themed empire army! (or just paint some of my unpainted empire stuff in a nuln theme)
Long time Wood Elf and Empire player with newly acquired High Elves

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 09:27:10 PM »
I thought the countess was the EC of Wissenland but was resident in Nuln, surely Nuln have an EC of their own. Either that or there is a spare Runefang for me!
Veldemere, Elector Count of Solland (Elect)
Quote from: wissenlander
  I'm fine with Veldemere and his retinue of disgruntled's

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 02:12:07 PM »
Used to be that she was the Countess of Nuln and ruled Wissenland through her vassal, Bruno Pfeifraucher.  Something happened with some big war and she took his land from him.  That's WFRP material though, I think.  That and older WFB fluff, where things weren't as simple.  City States could have electoral votes (Nuln and Middenheim) and some provinces couldn't (like Wissenland and Nordland).  Much more realistic and representative of the HRE era.

City-States in WFB are traditionally run by Burgomeisters or Town Councils.  The Countess hangs out in Nuln because of the social aspects.  She's nothing like her people.  But her presence ties Nuln and Wissenland together somewhat. 

Her throne, or whatever, should be in Wissenburg.

So basically, she has the Blood Bringer (Wissenland Runefang) sitting in the corner gathering dust.  Now Kurt Helborg weilds Grudge Settler, so I can see you picking a fight with him soon Veldemere. :-D
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline oak_prince

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 12:42:03 AM »
Okay - so which Knightly Orders are located near Nuln?

I'm starting Nuln, and still trying to figure out the right ratio of old to new troops.
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone".

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 11:45:49 AM »
http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=17696.0

List of all known knightly orders.  Something should come up to your liking.

not together.

Offline oak_prince

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2007, 07:52:03 AM »
Well, the Knights of the Blazing Sun appeal to me - and their Black/Gold stands out from, but doesn't clash with, the state troops' Black/White uniforms.

But I was curious which orders are close to Nuln. :P
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone".

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 05:47:53 PM »
orders can have chapters in all provinces and city states, even in foriegn lands. I have seen references to a kislev white wolf chapter among others. steveb

Offline W0lf

• Members
  • Tchar owns my soul
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 10:18:13 PM »
Hiya.

Just dropping in to say Nuln rocks.

Why i hear you ask?

Cool colours
Gunnery school - whats not to love
Gold wizards - everyone loves LoM!
Its a city state
Has the coolest name!
The mounted nurgle champion model is painted with a sign labelled Nuln :P

Tzeentch Mortals lover.

Offline Sa!nt

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 12:56:02 AM »
I play a Nuln army because I like the black colour theme.

Could you tell me more about this women Emmanuelle von Liebwitz because my knowledge about here is very poor.

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 02:31:55 AM »
I'll let Wissenlander or Fr1day do the fine details but in summation:

She's the elector count of Wissenland but forsakes the land because she sees it as dull. She much rather spend her time shopping and hanging out in her royal court of Nuln. She wishes to make Nuln independent from Wissenland (much like Marienburg) so she doesn't have to worry about Wissenland. Wissenland is hence very independent and self sufficient due to her lack of care and management.
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007, 06:59:36 PM »
That sums it up quite nicely.  Nuln and Wissenland are tied together because of the Countess, and at one point in time Nuln was apart of Wissenland. The link provided should give you some greater info on the Countess and her family.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49420

not together.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2007, 07:50:24 PM »
She wants to make Nuln an independent city with her as the countess. This move would allow her to retain her runefang and her electoral vote but not actually have a province. If this did indeed happen, who would take over Wissenland? The Toppenheimer's?
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2007, 08:37:37 PM »
Now we're talking old school fluff...if only I had been around. :dry: 

Well, I would think that it would be quite difficult for her to obtain complete autonomy.  She's in an odd position as she's a ruler that doesn't live in her own province.  If she were to somehow gain the full electorship through Nuln it would potentially unbalance things.  The other city states would be furious I'm sure that they are now left without a voice in the voting process, and if that were the case then Altdorf as well could conceivably get a vote as well, meaning that the Sigmarite block just got that much more stronger (which could be said for Ulricians as well if Middenheim got a vote).  As it stands, Nuln is farely well independent and the main tie between the city and Wissenland is the Countess.

Wissenland would then be the only province that did not have a Runefang, but conceivably the Solland or Drakwald blade could be given to the new family.  Solland would make more sense, but I'm not sure if Kurt Helborg would like that (or any of our seperatist friends around here for that matter  :wink:).  The Runefang that Emanuelle would try to keep would technically be the Wissenland blade, so I can see the people getting angry about that as well.  Then if they somehow do a swap of swords, then there's the issue of other cities now not having a Runefang either...messy, messy.

This information is off of Emanuelle trying to seduce Karl Franz or some such, I believe.  It's possible, but by all accounts she's in her mid to late 40s by now, as is our beloved Emperor.  So she's not the young'un that is often portrayed as...though she still loves to act it.  I think Karl's too strong to allow that to happen as it would really play with the power balance and he's too smart and strong willed for that.  A weaker Emperor wouldn't stand a chance against Emanuelle's advances, I'm sure.

I'm not totally familiar with the current major families of the province.  Are the Topenheimer's in Sigmar's Heirs or are they from a series of books?  It used to be that Bruno Pfeifraucher was the vassel to von Liebewitz and he ruled Wissenland but for some reason she took it away from him.  I have no idea what happened to him. 

And some of this stuff is from Critical Hit anyway I'm sure.  So how credibile it is, I'm not sure.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 08:40:44 PM by wissenlander »

not together.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2007, 11:17:43 PM »
I too have heard of Liebwitz making advances on the Emperor, but I'm not sure where I heard it. Knowing the bad fluff writers from GW, they might just marry off Franz to her in some bad story. They should hire some of the fluff writers from here :happy:

Here is what Sigmar's Heirs says about Nuln and Liebwitz:

Quote from: Sigmar's Heirsl p97
Niln is a city-state, technically free of Wissenland, but still owing allegiance to its Elector Count. This poses little problem for the freewheeling people of the city, for the Elector of Wissenland is also Countess of Nuln. Emmanuelle von Leibwitz, still beautiful in her middle age, loves Nuln and spends almost all her time there, giving grand balls and hosting dinners that last for days. She barely conceals her contempt for the "po-faced burghers" and the utter boredom that tortures her when she has to attend to provincial business. To rid herself of dreary Wissenland, Countess von Leibwitz is negotiating with the emperor to completely separate Nuln and Wissenland. She would retain Nuln and her electoral vote, whilst the province would be given to the Toppenheimer family, which would also receive an electoral vote. All this would be dine in return for large loans to the Emperor's war coffers, a strategy she is coordinating with her colleague in Talabheim.

So this indicates that basicly Leibwitz is like those spoiled brats on MTV's Sweet Sixteen. She could doesn't care about Wissenland in the slightest and would rather pay the Emperor (Bribe) to have control of Nuln. The Toppenheimer Family, headed by Baroness Molly Toppenheimer would take over should Leibwitz take Nuln.

The Gazetteer says these people control the cities

Wissenburg-Elector Countess Emmanuelle von Leibwitz
Geschburg-Baroness Molly Toppenheimer
Kreutzhofen- Count Pfeifraucher
Kropenleben- Baron Johan von Kalb
Meissen-Elector Countess Emmanuelle von Leibwitz
Pfeildorf (former capital of Solland) - Baroness Molly Toppenheimer
Scharmbeck- Baron Vincentus Preiss
Sonnefurt- Baroness Katrina von Heisenberg
Steingart-Baron Frederich Herbart
Wusterburg- Baron Manfred von Eigenhof

It seems that the Solland family (maybe some ties) would return to power if Nuln broke away. The Toppenheimers wouldn't have a military force to compete with Leibwitz's army of Nuln if she wanted to break away via force, or if the Toppenheimers wanted to resist her succession. From what I read, some of the other towns want to break away and become chartered free towns also. Where do you think Graf Olenbay's loyalties would lie?

Sounds like a campaign idea?  :wink:

~Karl Voss of Averland

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2007, 11:35:07 AM »
Emmanuelle - sounds like a good name for a cat .................

:engel:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 03:17:12 PM »
Thankfully, our cat is male.

I'd imagine Gerhard would side with whoever was backing Wissenland.  But that's neither here nor there.

Wissenland doesn't have the military might to contend with Nuln, but I really wouldn't see a conflict arising between the two.  If Nuln wanted to break away that badly, I'm sure most in Wissenland wouldn't care.  It may have some negative ramifications upon the economy, but I don't really see that happening so much as the province is already poor.  And even if those towns did break away, I'd imagine it would be something along the lines of Bogenhafen where it's still in Reikland and a 'participating member', it just has more freedom. 

Really, that might not be so bad of an idea.  It could spur some economic growth in the region, though if not careful a war could begin to brew as each town vied for power.  If Karl was smart, he'd leave well enough alone on this.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 03:36:45 PM by wissenlander »

not together.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2007, 06:55:44 PM »
The loss of Nuln from Wissenland would more than likely not lead to war. It may cause a few people to start "a fussin' and a fightin' " I wonder if Solland would take a cue and declare independance from Wissenland if Nuln left, as the Toppenheimers would be in power and their strongholds lie within Solland's former borders. Imagine what would happen if you had a good Elector count(ess)

I'll just mind my own business on the other side of the upper reik  :biggriin:

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2007, 12:44:51 PM »
Well, Pfeildorf used to be the capital of Solland, but where does the 'loyalty' of the Toppenheimers lie?  Are they in the Sudenland/Solland movement or are they just true blue Wissenlanders that happen to have their power base in the former capital?  800 years can have quite a bit of turnover, so there's nothing that says that the Toppenheimers are holding out hope for a renewed Solland.

The closer people were to Nuln, the worse it probably would be.  The farther out you get from there, in Wissenland, the less likely you're going to find any sort of support for the city dwellers.

not together.

Offline Giladis

• Members
  • Asur Admiral
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2007, 08:10:28 AM »
Also one should not forget Stirland in all of that. It held Nuln at certain times in history and a civil war between Wissenland and Nuln could be used by Stirlanders to try and recapture the city.
The South will raise again!

Join the Solland Liberation Army!

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2007, 08:12:41 AM »
Fantastic! And guess who would be right in the middle of a Stirland/Wissenland war...

<------

My guesses above were hypotheticals if Solland wanted to reclaim it's land. I figured the Toppenheimers would have Sollandic ties due to thier ownership of former Solland cities. It could have been the result of a land grab after Wissenland tried to rebuild. we'll never know.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2007, 03:27:50 PM »
Probably not. Not unless GW really decides to go down that route, which I doubt they will. 

not together.