home

Author Topic: The Barren Hills- UK-Regional Organisation  (Read 43771 times)

Offline Veldemere

• Members
Re: The Barren Hills- UK-Regional Organisation
« Reply #100 on: June 25, 2007, 05:38:42 PM »
Curses, the character limit is a pain, but please try to include the Helstroms 4th, had to reduce mine to Sollandiers of Helstroms 4th!

Now lets kick ass
Veldemere, Elector Count of Solland (Elect)
Quote from: wissenlander
  I'm fine with Veldemere and his retinue of disgruntled's

Offline Tostig

• Members
« Reply #101 on: June 25, 2007, 05:44:02 PM »
I've registered (The White Company - H's 4th) :P

More information!
Egondorf:
Egondorf sits closer to the Barren Hills than its inhabitants would wish, and as such it comes under frequent attack by twisted and malformed things from the hills. Fortunately for Egondorf, it is home to the Witchhunter Walter von Khan, a man in equal parts celebrated and feared throughout the region. Von Khan in a veteran of his calling, having served for decades in Altdorf, he has returned to his home village in the hour of its greatest need to defeat once and for all those who would prey upon it.

The Bitter Moon:
The Bitter Moon stands in the centre of a wide area of cleared forest, for all manner of blasphemous creatures are known to haunt the lands hereabouts. Yet, with each year the undergrowth seeks to reclaim the land, and it is only the efforts of the Bitter Moon's landlord (who hires labourers to fell the ever-encroaching woods) that darkness is kept back. The landlord knows that should he ever run out of funds to pay for the annual clearing, the Bitter Moon would be swallowed by the forests, and the creatures would get him. Some say he is a bit obsessive in this matter, but those who have seen the glowering eyes shining beneath the boughs know otherwise.

Abandoned Fort:
Peace as well as war can take their toll on fortifications, and many forts find themselves on old unused roads, or watching for a passed threat. These are abandoned and left for the trees.

The Tower of Viligance:
The Tower of Viligance has stood for many centuries, maintained painstakingly by its inhabitants and constant fortified from any possible assault. It is so well protected in fact that it was one of the structures to survive Morrslieb's spite when it rained down upon the region. It's occupants are an obscure order of Sigmarite monks who keep watch over the locale. Though they maintain little contact with any outsiders, it is said that the monks await the return of Sigmar, when they will go out into the land and aid him in the expelling of the servants of evil once and for all.

Once a Skaven Lair, now an Orc Encampment:
Orcs are not prolific in the forest, but some tribes make their home here. These bands of brutes wonder from place to place, camping and warring before moving on.

Marchen's Henge:
Marchen's Henge was a large circle of standing stones, though it has long since fallen into ruin, many stones lying toppled or smashed. Though legend states the people of Sigmar erected the henge, it appears to be an object of particular loathing from various other quarters. Each year, the stones are desecrated more with crude, blasphemous runes daubed across their every surface by unknown followers of Ruinous Powers. The local militias have on many occasions sought to catch the perpetrators in the act of desecration so that they confront the followers and once and for all end their evil deeds.

The Giant's Tump:
Before tragedy befell the Green Hills, this feature now known as the "Giant's Tump" was a heavily wooded, flat topped hill. Once stripped of the verdant woodland by Morrsleib's spite, it was revealed that the hill had once stood tall and proud, but had, in some fashion, lost its peak, the remains of which were scattered all about. Academics from Altdorf and Nuln have theorised that the hill must have been the site of a battle between two huge adversaries, and so the legend has grown in telling. It is now said that the peak of the hill was shorn off in a single swipe of a giant's club, and that at any time, the titanic adversaries might return to conclude their duel, and, in all likelihood, flatten the entire range in the process.

The Ruins of Tor Thana
Though never ratified by the Imperial College of Cartographers, a great number of maps of the Great Forest make reference to the site of a ruined Elven city in the western spur of the Barren Hills. Ever since the Green Hills became the Barrel hills, however, very few have visited the site, for the foul beasts that plague the entire range make travel there hazardous in the extreme. A great number of myths and legends surround the ruins, for the valley they occupy was once the green heart of the forested hills. Once such legend suggest that life still lingers within the ruins, and the fey powers of the Elven folk might one day repair the hills of Morrsleib's spite.

Apologies to Claustwitz, after he typed half of this out as well.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 06:16:53 PM by Tostig »

Offline Sircyn

• Members
« Reply #102 on: June 25, 2007, 06:46:03 PM »
All signed up. The minute character count really put a crimp in my style. Ended up settling with  Helstrom's 4th - Ostermark IX. I went for what I thought would look like a roster designation of the forces my Baron commands, rather than the more flowery examples given an unlimited space to write it into.

I'm signed up for my local GWs campaign and I might even stomach showing up for the mega battles. Going to get as many games in as I can.

Seeing there is a Witch Hunter at Egondorf really ties in with my  characters past as a former Templar of Sigmars henchman. I may have to play on that at some point.

Offline Tostig

• Members
« Reply #103 on: June 25, 2007, 07:07:39 PM »
The first post in the thread has been updated with the information in the above post, as well as a new, shinier map and Dwarf and Elven fluff sharing ideas..

What I think we ought to decide now is what kinds of fluff we would ask other nations to put into their battle reports as part of a fluff exchange. Personally, I would propose the following to begin with:
  • State troops from across the Empire flooding into the region down the Aldorf-Talabheim road, with local militia scouts and guides.
  • Re-enforcements to the Bitter Moon, Egondorf and the Tower of Vigilance fortifying them - including tree felling?
  • Locals helping Imperial forces. Examples include billeting troops, acting as guides and so on. - including Imperial Dwarfs?

I was also thinking about something a bit more unique and exciting. The fluff premise is that included in the re-enforcements was an engineer from Nuln with a somewhat unique reputation - von Breendonk the Unsound. Despite managing to blow himself up within a week (having confused homing and messenger pigeons in his artillery wagon), he left behind one of his latest inventions - a flame-thrower. It could prove to be useful in the heavily wooded terrain, especially around the Bitter Moon, and could also see use purging any caves we need to deal with. Or Dwarf Karaks for that matter...

I know it might be a little steampunk for many, but I can see that it would appeal to GW fluff writers and the like. Besides, the engineer misrolls on his first turn! If you want to include it in your army you could always use the Skaven Warpfire rules, and if you're incredibly rich you could always use a Forgeworld DKoK flamer team with a head swap - that's what I "based" the picture off.

Incidentally, add people on MSN! Quite a few of us have it in our profiles, or in the special thread for such things, and IM is an easy, informal place for discussing ideas and so on. Go on...

Offline HeraldOfTheFree

• Members
« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2007, 08:33:18 PM »
Right, I have signed up.
Now all I need is to paint my army.
Next week is our prologue campaign to the NC at my local Games Workshop- 3 teams, Orcs, Dwarfs, and Empire. Two boxes of Mighty Empires!  :happy:
Death to Bugmans Oathbreaking Dwarfs!

Offline Patch

• Members
  • What would Chuck Norris do?
« Reply #105 on: June 25, 2007, 09:44:48 PM »
I've signed up, and urging everyone at my club to shake off their apathy and sign up as well.

The Altdorf 2nd Div (Helstrom 4th) reporting for duty!
The (less than) triumphant return...

Offline clausewitz

• Members
« Reply #106 on: June 25, 2007, 10:15:06 PM »
Apologies to Claustwitz, after he typed half of this out as well.

No apologies necessary Tostig, I was hoping someone else would finish the typing.  :-D

Herald, 2 days to paint that army, better get cracking.  :wink:
I fought in the NC war.. and all I got was this lousy sig...

Offline clausewitz

• Members
« Reply #107 on: June 26, 2007, 12:16:26 AM »
Veldemere, given the apparently strong defences at the Tower of Vigilance should we look for some volunteers to bolster Mark Perry's forces in its defence?

Offline Tillmann Spyri

• Members
« Reply #108 on: June 26, 2007, 06:46:27 AM »
Hi.

The Vamps have got their bats on, hip hip hip, Horay

Tha Vamps have got their bats on and they're coming out to play

http://z14.invisionfree.com/carpenoctem/index.php?showtopic=2383

Offline Ostermarker

• Members
« Reply #109 on: June 26, 2007, 07:06:08 AM »
Maybe the Tower of Vigilance could be a base of operations of the Hunters in the Barren Hills. I mean, they could be supported by the monks there, and its easily defendable.
So, Ostmarkers wear purple, but it's manly purple, not like that Bretonnian purple.

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #110 on: June 26, 2007, 02:37:52 PM »
Clausewitz, very good point. Who has a strongly Sigmarite army and wishes to help those defending the tower?

I think we should still keep our base of operations at Egondorf, especially since we are facing the Vamps now as well!

Offline clausewitz

• Members
« Reply #111 on: June 26, 2007, 04:20:29 PM »
Egondorf should definitely remain our primary base of operations.  No question of that.

I just thought perhaps more than just Mark at the Tower.  As you say a Sigmarite army would be well suited.  Alas my army is not especially Sigmary or I would volunteer myself.

I am sure there is someone amongst our recruits to fit the bill??

Offline Patch

• Members
  • What would Chuck Norris do?
« Reply #112 on: June 26, 2007, 09:57:58 PM »
My forces are generally Sigmarite - two Warrior Priests, a Archlector and 23 Flaggies Sigmarite enough for you?
I don't mind being transfered, mind that I'm fighting O+G (4000) this weekend
The (less than) triumphant return...

Offline clausewitz

• Members
« Reply #113 on: June 26, 2007, 10:44:20 PM »
Well volunteered that man!  :biggriin:

With Commander Veldemere's approval we'll realloacte your forces to the Tower.

Sounds as though your army is about to run into a rather large WAAGH, good luck in your battle.

Offline Mark Perry

• Members
« Reply #114 on: June 27, 2007, 09:42:44 AM »
Wahay, support at last, welcome brother :icon_smile:

My army is also quite Sigmarite, I have

A/L on War Alter
4 W/P
20 (new) flaggys
30 Knights that have changed order to "Hunters"
Plus all the usual state troops and Greatswords.

Also a Steam Tank which I'm calling "Sigmars Legacy"

Had 2 battles recently in pre campaign 1 against O&G and 1 vs Vampire Counts. I'm putting the reports on today.

Ive had good luck against O&G and am experienced in fighting them so the Tower will Hold.

:biggriin:

Offline MiB

• Members
« Reply #115 on: June 27, 2007, 01:46:22 PM »
Well, still trying to get the TK players organised and failing, theres a new post on there site from someone on here trying to do the same (and failing)

So... if anyone in the UK would care to mention any battles over ancient tombs and rumours of a legendary king guarded by druids awakening then hopefully I can get more exposure for the army of King Tigernamas

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73184

I may wind up fielding an empire army as well for this, that way I might be able to make a difference...

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #116 on: June 27, 2007, 02:34:51 PM »
Well done patch. No problem with the OnG as I think they will be pretty much everywhere. It might be helpful if we had 1 more at the tower.

Offline nosramuk

• Members
« Reply #117 on: June 27, 2007, 03:11:19 PM »
Signed up now.
Army name: Sigmars fury (Helstroms 4th)
Army leader: Captain George Luitdorf
Location in week 1: Egondorf

Dont know when we can start reporting battles but i got a few lined up this week, so Ill post the results of those when the report system is up and running.
Good luck lads, sock it to em!

Karl van Drak

« Reply #118 on: June 27, 2007, 08:18:42 PM »
What's this? Vampires in egondorf? My witch hunter's in Egondorf. He's a distant descendent of the van Draks. And he hates vampires...

Offline Tostig

• Members
« Reply #119 on: June 27, 2007, 09:46:17 PM »
I played a battle today at the local GW store against my usual opponent (ogres) this morning. Only 750pts, but it was good practice for the doubles tournament coming up as I used the same army list I intend to. It was a solid victory, playing Flank Attack, mainly because my enemies forces arrived peacemeal, allowing me to deal with the front before worrying about the flank. Here's what I submitted:

Commander,
While the White Company was marching its way from Tower of Vigilance we were ambushed by a force of Ogres. They launched an assault on us from the forest to the left of the road, and swept up the back of our formation, and only a determined counter-charge from the Hunters of Sigmar and our troops were able to put a stop to them. However we were not without a loss, as the colossal beasts destroyed one cannon and put flight to the unit of archers who had been acting as guides that we had recruited in a nearby village. None the less the majority of our forces emerged unscathed, and we were able to track down our attackers as they fled and butcher them to a man, and we have carried on, re-enforcing the Bitter Moon Tavern with cannon, halberd and musket as ordered. We are currently fortifying and expanding the current stonework, and await further orders.
Your Humblest Servant,
Rupert Ironside.
 Mercenary Captain of the White Company.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #120 on: June 28, 2007, 11:57:12 AM »
Lord Veldemere,

I know that relations between your Solland movement and my beloved Wissenland have been strained for some time, but I am happy that we can put aside these differences for a greater good.

I send you this dispatch to let you know that we seem to have run into some sort of foul sorcery.  Our maps have lead us astray and the road that we marched down has lead us here.

The soldiers at my command are being sent to aid you at Egondorf and the Bitter Moon Inn.  We will aid you in these areas for as long as we can, until there is sign from our Celestial Wizard Rufas that we can continue our attacks in our region.
Sigmar Protect

O.v.B.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 01:19:54 PM by wissenlander »
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #121 on: June 28, 2007, 01:18:24 PM »
Ahhh fighting side by side at last, may your sword remain true in the defence of Egonsdorf, 1 for 1 at the moment but will lost tonight I suspect!

Offline Sircyn

• Members
« Reply #122 on: June 28, 2007, 01:45:36 PM »
http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=17037.0

I saw this thread and it reminded me just how many Empire players there are at my local store who aren't signed up. I thought it couldn't hurt if I tried to drum up a little interest with a recruitment poster, maybe even a weekly update, pending permission from the powers that be here and in store. What do you think?

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #123 on: June 28, 2007, 02:07:01 PM »
Please go for it. i noticed when I last checked there were only about 3 players registered in the UK with Helstroms 4th in their army name, we should have about 25 of us, toe the line chaps.

Offline Sircyn

• Members
« Reply #124 on: June 28, 2007, 02:27:59 PM »
I'd best post my battle reports and get my name up on the leader board - need one of my foes to register with the site. I will get the poster printed and down to my local GW tomorrow, every little helps.