home

Author Topic: Empire FAQ and Abbreviations - updated 10/12/07  (Read 84191 times)

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
Re: Empire FAQ and Abbreviations - updated 10/12/07
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2010, 02:28:07 PM »
Only the wounds caused by your general count otherwise you would apply the strength bonus of lances to the horses of your knights too.

Offline Skyros

• Members
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2010, 05:11:43 PM »
Just verifying that my reading of the rules is correct:

detachments cannot 'counter charge' or 'supporting charge' during an overrun, as the rules talk about 'in the enemies movement phase'.

I think the rules are pretty clear on this, but it does greatly lessen empire infantry blocks ability to hold people after an overrun.

Offline Honsou1978

• Members
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2010, 11:27:41 AM »
Maybe already mentioned, if so, should be updated in first post:

Q: Does using the War Altars bound spell remove any remains in play prayers the Arch Lector cast?
A: Short answer, no.  GW have not FAQ'd this, and it may not require it. Our discussion on the subject is integrated with the above FAQ.

They have now.
The GQ Errate and FAQs explain that the war altar WILL dispel RiP spell, since it's the arch lector himself who casts this spell. (Which means: Start with the Altars Lore of light spell, if you want a RiP spell from the priest too.)

Same with the flaggelants, they DO get hatred in subsequent rounds of combat, but this FaQ seem a bit out of date to be honest. :)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 11:31:38 AM by Honsou1978 »

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2010, 01:12:21 AM »
This is going to need updating over the next few weeks / months, however right now I think we are still trying to nut out all the rules and potential areas for FAQ.

Here is the current GW issued FAQ document:

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1310254a_FAQ_Empire_2010_v11.pdf
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2010, 11:59:37 AM »
I can help if you like. I can run through it this evening and see about having a rough rework in about 24 hours.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2010, 06:33:17 AM »
Characters &  Equipment

Q: When the Arch Lector dies, does the War Altar get removed as well?
A: No. Strangely enough, it stays under your control.

Q: Can an Arch Lector have 2 remains in play prayers going at the same time.
A: Yes, as long as they are not the same prayer.

Q: Does using the War Altars bound spell remove any remains in play prayers the Arch Lector cast?
A: No.

Q: What Weapon Skill do you use when attacking the War Altar?
A: You use the WS of the steeds pulling the chariot (if you are attacking the chariot). If you are attacking the Arch Lector, you use his. This is in the BRB pg 86.

Q: What is 'Fiery Demagogue'?
A: Fiery Demagogue is a special rule or ability for Luthor Huss that GW playtested, but removed from his rules. However they missed it in the proof reading for the final release of the New Empire Book. It does not mean anything.

Q: Does a Warrior Priest’s Hatred affect his mount, and the mounts of a unit he is in?
A: No. BRB pg82.

Q: Does a Warrior Priest's Hatred or Prayers affect the detachments for the unit he is in?
A: No, detachments are not affected.

Q: Can a prayer be cast on a friendly monstrous mount?
A: No. Prayers can only be cast on characters or unit champions.

Q: Can the re-rolls from the Hammer of Sigmar prayer be used to re-roll the impact hits or horse attacks from the War Altar?

Q: Can a wizard use Hammer of Sigmar to re-roll failed to wound rolls on spells?
A: Yes.

Q: Can Hammer of Sigmar be cast on a character or champion with a missile weapon ?
A: Yes, it is particularly effective on an Outrider champion.

Q: What about an Engineer with Pigeon Bombs?
A:  No, the roll for Pigeon bombs is not a roll to hit. You roll a d6 and consult a chart. However, he may still re-roll failed rolls to wound.

Q: Can an Engineer stand and shoot with Pigeons?

Q: Can an Engineer take magic items?
A: No. The Master Engineer is no longer allowed to take magic items, as exhibited in his unit entry. His Engineering toys are supposed to compensate for the lack of magic items.

Q: Reading the description of the Hochland Long rifle it says that 'any' target can be chosen. Would this extend to models that are in units engaged in hth if you could draw an unobstructed LOS to them or does the prohibition against picking a target engaged in hth apply to them as well?
A: You cannot shoot enemies engaged in close combat, because the Engineer/Marksman wouldn't risk hitting his comrades. That rule has precedence.
S: Gav Thorpe - Warhammer Design Team

Q: Can enemy magic items and abilities which negate one or more attacks of a model in base to base contact (e.g. Blademaster, Hand of Khaine, Vambraces of the Sun, Cautious Shield, etc.), be used to negate the single S10, D6 wound attack of the Mace of Helstrum?
A: These only reduce the number of Attacks on the profile, and have no effect on special attacks (in this case, the Empire character may have one less Attack, but he simply swaps his remaining attacks for the single S10, D6 wound attack).
S: Gav Thorpe - Warhammer Design Team

Q: Can a unit of Knights led by a Grand Master (making them Immune to Psychology) also benefit from a BSB carrying the Banner of Sigismund (making them stubborn), or a Warrior Priests's Hatred?
A: Yes. BRB p71

Q: How many times may an Empire character armed with the Dragon Bow fire in the Shooting phase?
A. Once.  Unless otherwise mentioned each model can only make one shooting attack in each Shooting phase.  There has been some confusion regarding this item as the unofficial Special Character Valmir Von Raukov on the GW website may fire the Dragon Bow three times in the Shooting phase.  Note however that Von Raukov is allowed to do this due to his "Master Archer" ability and this is not a property of the Dragon Bow.

Q: Can an Empire Wizard use the Lore of Ice?

Q: With the magic item the Rod of Power, what magic dice can be saved? Your own Power Dice only, or your own Dispel Dice too, in the opponents magic phase?
A. Both your own Power Dice and Dispel Dice can be saved in the Rod of Power.

Q: Where can I find the rules for the Hexstaff, an "Empire Only" magic item from the Albion campaign?
A: In Warhammer Chronicles 2003

Q: When do I get to measure for using the Crystal Ball?
A: You may measure at any time.

Core Units

Missile Units
Q: Which are better, Crossbows or Handguns?
A: Each have their own merits. Crossbows have the extra range (meaning closer short range) and Handguns have the extra penetration. Handgunner marksmen also get special weapon upgrades, however generally this decision comes down to personal preference.

Q: Do Empire handguns still have the 'First volley' rule (first round - extra D6 to range)?
A: This was removed in the 7th ed Empire Army book to make more of a choice between Handgunners and Crossbowmen.

Detachments
Q: When do Empire detachments declare counter-charges and move into contact with the enemy?
A. The countercharge is made at the end of the Charge sub-phase, after all normal charges have been carried out.

Q: Can a Parent Unit have a detachment(s) of the same troop type?  For example could a unit of 10 handgunners take 2 detachments of 5 handgunners?
A. Yes. While the introduction to the detachment rules seems to indicate that detachments are armed differently than the parent units, no where in the actual detachment rules does it state that the detachments must be armed differently than the parent.

Q: Do Detachments for a Greatsword unit count towards Core or Special categories with respect to unit composition?
A: Core. The fact that they are fielded as detachments doesn't change anything (Note: this does not mean they contribute to minimum percentage amount of core units).

Q: Can I buy extra equipment for my detachments?
A: Yes. The rule restricting extra equipment for detachments has been removed with the 7th edition Empire army book.

Q: What are the best troop choices for combat detachments? What formation should they be?
A: This is a subjective question, but the general consensus seems to be either halberdiers or swordsmen. Halberdiers for their ability to generate kills, and swordsmen for their ability to not get killed as much.

Q: What are 3x3 detachments? I thought the minimum frontage for a detachment needed to be 4?
A: The minimum frontage of detachments has been taken away. 3x3 size detachments are a maneuverable block which makes counter charging easier, and enemy charges into detachments harder. With 8th Edition the utility of 3x3 detachments has been neutralized.

Q: A detachment can use the parent units leadership for leadership tests. If the Parent unit is with range of the General, can this leadership be transferred on to the detachment when they are not in range? Same question for BSB purposes?
A: No. This is a change from 6th edition Empire.

Q: Can a parent unit have a detachment of Huntsmen? What are the benefits?
A: Yes, a parent unit can have a detachment of Huntsmen, however there are no benefits to this at all. The detachment rules explicitly state that a detachment MUST be placed when a parent unit is, and the Scout rules state that they MUST be placed after all other deployments.

Special Units

Pistoliers
Q: How many Shots does a group of 5 Pistoliers with Marksman Champion wielding a Repeater Pistol get?
A: Each individual Pistolier gets two each for a total of 8 hitting at BS3. The Champion gets 3 for his repeater pistol, and 1 for his regular pistol hitting at BS4. 12 S4, -2 AS shots.

Q: How many attacks do pistoliers get in combat?
A: The fusilade rule has been removed, and according to the BRB, 2 hand weapons cannot be used when mounted. Pistol rules for close combat are also clear. So a unit of pistoliers will get 1 attack each at S3, and each of their mounts will get 1 attack each at S3.

Q: Is the Repeater Pistol a Pistol for rules purposes? It's rules do not explicitly state it is a pistol, so does it have long range, etc.?
A: It is a pistol. It is in the name of the item.
GW have not FAQ'd this, and it may not require it.

Outriders
Q: Can outriders move and fire because they are fast cavalry?
A: No. The rules for Repeater Handguns trump the fast cavalry rule. If the champion has an appropriate weapon (such as Repeater Pistol), he can however.

Rare Units

Flagellants
Q: In close combat rounds after the first, if I martyr flagellants, do I gain any benefit from hatred?
A: Yes, per the official FAQ.

Q: Does martyring flagellants affect your rank bonus, or is rank bonus worked out first, and then martyrs removed?
A: Yes, rank bonus is calculated at the end of combat.

Q: Do Flagellants get the bonus from martyr when they overrun into an ongoing close combat?
A: Yes, because the effects last until the end of that close combat phase.

Gryphon Legion
Q: Can the Gryphon Legion when using the 'Mercenaries' Special Rule take a Magic Standard from the Empire Magic Items list?
A: Yes. They can take any banner up to 50pts with the exception of banners restricted to Knightly Orders only.

Steam Tank
Q: Does a Steam Tank get to attack in the enemy turn?
A: No. It can only generate steam points in your turn, therefore cannot attack. The engineer can stand and shoot however.

Q: Can a Steam Tank pursue or overrun?

Q: How does the Hand of Dust work on the Steam Tank?
A: Steam Tank is no longer immune to any magic, so it works normally.

Q: Do Bretonnian Defensive Stakes stop Steam Tank Impact hits, as the Steam Tank rules suggest it ignores all obstacles?
A: The Steam Tank no longer ignores obstacles as of FAQ 13July2010.

Q: Does the Bretonnian 'Virtue of Heroism' allow Killing Blow against the Steam Tank?

Q: Do the Steam Tanks Impact Hits from Grinding affect all units in combat with it, or just one?
A: You choose a single unit that you are in combat with and all impact hits are resolved against that unit.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 06:36:57 AM by CannonofDoom »
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline Commander Bernhardt

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • Geweldig!
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2011, 10:21:53 AM »
I have heard there will be an update tot the errata soon, is this correct?
President Merkin Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2011, 10:32:50 AM »
Probably when we get our new book, which is rumoured as "soon"
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2012, 01:16:09 AM »
This will be updated in the next few months I would imagine.

Also - Steam Tank background & names:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=36082.msg566139#msg566139
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline kisandre

• Members
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2014, 07:22:47 AM »
Is someone going to update this?
Friendship is magic. And magic is Heresy

When life gives you lemons- Blood for the Blood god!

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2014, 01:43:58 AM »
This will be updated in the next few months I would imagine.

I would say we are actually probably going to update this when GW release a new edition. At the moment, probably no need to review it at this stage.

Also, I have saved a historical link about the Steam Tank history that I will add into the new thread when the edition comes out.

Offline wilsonthenarc

• Members
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2014, 01:51:32 PM »
It's not an abbreviation, but I see it around all the time - "Light Council".
What does Light Council mean?

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2014, 02:11:17 PM »
A light council is a number of Light Wizards to boost the strength of Banishment.

A War Altar + Level 4 + 2 level 1 casters gives you a S7 banishment (from the war altar) and a S6 banishment (hopefully from the level 4).

Offline wilsonthenarc

• Members
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2014, 03:11:31 PM »
PERFECT. Thanks for the explanation.
So, you have 6 levels of caster, all in the same lore...
How do you ensure your Level 4 caster gets Banishment with the rolls?

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2014, 03:39:10 PM »
BRB p. 490:  If "you roll a spell twice (whether for the same Wizard or for a different Wizard in the army) you must normally replace the duplicate spell with another of your choice from the same Lore. If you cannot, because all the other spells have already been taken by other Wizards, for example, then this extra spell slot is lost."

Don't forget, of course: "After choosing replacements for duplicate spells, a Wizard can always choose to substitute one of the spells he rolls with the signature spell of a lore — even if another Wizard in the same army already knows the signature spell."
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline wilsonthenarc

• Members
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2014, 11:42:01 PM »
This is a dumb question, and one I haven’t thought about enough – due to my Dwarfiness. How do the rules dictate a player roll for spells? If my opponent has (1) Level 4 Light Wizard and (2) Level 1 Light Wizards in their army, and assuming their goal is to get the Level 4 to have “Banishment” (#5 spell of the Lore), what is the best way to roll?
I seem to remember my opponents rolling for (say, example) their 2 Level 1 Casters at the same time. Is that 100% wrong? It seems like it gives that player an unfair advantage, inasmuch that if they rolled x2 5’s, they could abuse the duplicate rule.
Whereas, if they do it the “Right” way (or, the way I just now realized is the right way) they should roll for just the first Level 1. If he got a 5, they would sub down to the signature spell 0 to keep the 5 open for their Level 4’s roll.
By my count, the opponent would succeed at having just 4 spells open, including #5 69.44% of the time.
27.78% of the time, they would partially succeed and have 5 spells open.
2.78% of the time, they would suck out and roll a 5 followed by a 5 and thus leave all 6 spells open when the Level 4 has to roll.

Conversely, if you allowed your opponent to roll 2 dice at once, say… “The Blue D6 is this guy and the Yellow D6 is this guy” it drastically changes these #s. if both of these guys rolled 1’s, they could abuse the duplicate rule.
That would increase their % at having just 4 spells open to 72.22%, while also allowing them much higher % odds at getting the “Right” spells to their respective casters.

Am I just really really dumb for letting people do this to me?

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline wilsonthenarc

• Members
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2014, 02:41:10 AM »
Another FAQ. Page 36 of the AM covers Warrior Priests and Arch Lectors.  Many of the special rules say "Warrior Priests..."  Do these apply to both? i.e. Does and Arch Lector get the "Divine Power" rule, and the "Righteous Fury" rule, in addition to "Battle Prayers"?  I only ask because the AB write up and rules never mentions Arch Lector by name.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2014, 08:31:55 AM »
Yes, they do, as AL are WP.  You will find that those special rules are listed in the Army List Entry for the Arch lector on page 87 of the Army Book.   

Offline wilsonthenarc

• Members
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2014, 12:17:32 PM »
That's what we thought, thanks as always Fidelis!