home

Author Topic: [Mounted Generals]A question about base size.  (Read 1631 times)

Offline JasonL

[Mounted Generals]A question about base size.
« on: June 20, 2007, 07:45:33 PM »
Hey folks,

I've been lurking for a while and have a question about something I noticed in the thread about Tim Walker's Walter.  Looking at his army he has a mounted character on a 40mm monster base.  Obviously this works great when putting them into infantry units but I've noticed that (unlike 40k) WFB's rule book is silent about putting things on different sized bases.

Does anyone else here do this?  Is it kosher?  Do people give you guff about it?

Thanks in advance.

Offline redjoey

Re: [Mounted Generals]A question about base size.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 07:53:53 PM »
It is unclear and seems to be personal preference. I would let you use it as would others. At competitions and such there may be stricter on it although that seems to be TVI's tourney army.

Welcome to the forum.
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution.

Offline Taishar

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 08:02:47 PM »
There was a semi official response to this, though my mind blanks as to where it was posted.  Basically, it said that the base that comes with the model is the minimum size allowed.  You can choose to use a larger base if you want (for example, 40mm x 40mm is 1,600 mm square, while cav is 25mm x 50, or 1,250 mm square) but you may not use a smaller one.
7 Time Best General Winner
Empire
Wood Elves (Retired)

Offline JasonL

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 08:12:06 PM »
There was a semi official response to this, though my mind blanks as to where it was posted.  Basically, it said that the base that comes with the model is the minimum size allowed.  You can choose to use a larger base if you want (for example, 40mm x 40mm is 1,600 mm square, while cav is 25mm x 50, or 1,250 mm square) but you may not use a smaller one.

This is explicitly stated in 40k but you can't automatically assume it's true in WFB.  That's why I wanted to look into it before I did it myself.

Thanks for the info folks.  I guess my best bet at the end of the day is to ask the people I play against locally.

Offline sandman

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 10:39:10 PM »
By taking a larger base you are allowing more attacks against your hero.  There are not many people who will complain about this with our characters.  Of course if you want to claim that only the normal number of models can attack you, as if you were on the smaller base, then there might be some complaints. 

I believe this came up with regards to one of TVI's earlier armies and he said he discussed it with his opponents before hand.  He may also have a regular mounted model of each of those, without the infantry on the base as well.  I'm sure he can clarify if I have gotten this wrong.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline Kaz

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 10:47:00 PM »
Well, first part of it are that you have seen about half the stories. TVI does it for artistic reasons, and plays the character as a 40x20, and simply has two spare troopers that are removed from the unit when the character joins.

But beside that, no, switching base size is not allowed in WFB. My personal rule of thump on doing are as follows.

Changing base size is breaking the rules
There is one word for breaking the rules to get a advantage, cheating.

That means, to make it clear that you are not doing it to cheat, you must take ALL the disadvantages, but use NONE of the advantages. Either that, or stick to the rules.
It is better to be silent and have people think you're stupid, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Offline JasonL

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 04:29:05 AM »
I'll ignore your general abrasiveness and just assume you're having a bad day.

Changing base size is breaking the rules

You have a page number that backs that up?

Offline Taishar

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 06:06:46 AM »
That isn't posted anywhere, afaik.  In a fairly famous gav thorpe quote, "base size has no effect on gameplay".

I thought there was a reference to using bigger bases in WHFB (not in big red, somewhere else) but I could be mistaken.
7 Time Best General Winner
Empire
Wood Elves (Retired)

Offline Kaz

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 06:20:00 AM »
You have a page number that backs that up?

Base size chart. Nothing allows you change the base size.
It is better to be silent and have people think you're stupid, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Offline Lord Quiran de Lancastre

• My idiocy knows no bounds
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 06:49:14 AM »
the matter of base sizes is a matter of unit strength generally, and is described in the BRB. technically humans could be based on 25mm bases, and why not, chaos mauraders are replicas of swordsmen on a larger base.

It's not a matter of nit picking either. If someone was trying to field a dragon on a 40mm base, it's cheating. It changes the potential number of enemies that can fight it on one side.

To the same end, using a larger base may affect this just as much, as putting a pegasus on a 50mm base may change how many models it can fight and thus where it can allocate it's attacks.

I don't really know why we have to have 20mm AND 25mm bases when the rules for them are the same as they both count as infantry with US1.

Offline Ratarsed

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 07:08:04 AM »
That isn't posted anywhere, afaik.  In a fairly famous gav thorpe quote, "base size has no effect on gameplay".

Not an accurate quote of what Gav actually wrote.

Base size chart. Nothing allows you change the base size.
If I choose to base my models on different bases there is little you can do about it. There is no law against it as far as I'm concerned.

Having said that, I can't imagine anyone getting worked up about a mounted character on a 40mm base so it ranks up in a 20mm infantry unit but An entire army of Orcs on 20mm bases would most likley get you kicked out of a tournament.

Basicaly if you have a justifiable reason for changing the base size of a model you are not going to get any grief from any reasonable opponent. It is pretty easy to make alowances during a game to ensure the different base size does not influence the game unfairly.

Ratarsed