home

Author Topic: The Barren Hills- UK-Regional Organisation  (Read 43360 times)

Offline clausewitz

• Members
Re: The Barren Hills- UK-Regional Organisation
« Reply #225 on: July 27, 2007, 12:56:34 PM »
Cheers Veldemere, I believe Wissenlander has encouraged our US counterparts to to a bit of praying too.

I read Olaf's batreps.  He seems to be a good player, I can see why you have had problems.  But I must say that the scenarios were horrible for you.  Two battles with dwarf guns to one side and VC blocks to the other.  :eusa_sick:

Empire suffers greatly when there is a lack of room for maneuvre. We need those flank charges etc to offset our generally rubbish fighting ability.  Your knights always seemed to be funnelled into an area where your opponents could limit their options and deal with them.  This is, of course, worse when you deploy across a short edge of the board.

I also have a great dislike for terror.  It only works against some armies, so its purely random if it can work at all.  Then if you are susceptible to terror there isn't much you can do about it but hope the dice are kind.  And if they are not (as they were not in your third game there) it can be totally game altering.  A recent proliferation of dragons at my local store has forced me to take the Imperial Banner regularly, or risk loosing a game based on 1 or two bad dice rolls. :eusa_wall:

Feel free to PM me before your next game if you wish to talk tactics / army comp etc.
I fought in the NC war.. and all I got was this lousy sig...

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
« Reply #226 on: July 27, 2007, 01:45:58 PM »
Provided I get in a game this week, you have my sword against this foul Undead abomination named "Olaf" :icon_twisted:.

IF the bounty on his head is high enough...
Wartales online campaigns, dedicated to bringing you the best in online warhammer campaigns!

Karl van Drak

« Reply #227 on: July 27, 2007, 03:05:32 PM »
Try Carpe Noctem (vampire counts forums) for any Olaf stuff as he, like myself, is quite a regular on there.

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #228 on: July 28, 2007, 09:37:01 PM »
Thanks Karl

If you are able to inform him that there is a price on his head in the Empire. Any information leading to the capture of this vile enemy of the Empire will be well rewarded. I have some priests wishing to ask him some questions.
Veldemere, Elector Count of Solland (Elect)
Quote from: wissenlander
  I'm fine with Veldemere and his retinue of disgruntled's

Offline FatOlaf

• Members
« Reply #229 on: July 29, 2007, 03:01:00 PM »
Thanks Karl

If you are able to inform him that there is a price on his head in the Empire. Any information leading to the capture of this vile enemy of the Empire will be well rewarded. I have some priests wishing to ask him some questions.

They can ask as many questions as they like, I like my cattle to have their 'fun'!
Olaf is amused by the humans and their attempts at tactics, he will wait for this treasure hunt to end before starting the machinations of his master plan. The Count has been travelling the Old world for many a year now, slowly adding the missing pieces to his Horde. Soon the puzzle will be complete and the Empire will witness a force not seen since the times of Manfred.   :icon_evil:

Offline Ostermarker

• Members
« Reply #230 on: July 29, 2007, 03:51:11 PM »
Soon the puzzle will be complete and the Empire will witness a force not seen since the times of Manfred.   :icon_evil:

And we all know how that ended.

Or do we?
So, Ostmarkers wear purple, but it's manly purple, not like that Bretonnian purple.

Offline Patch

• Members
  • What would Chuck Norris do?
« Reply #231 on: July 29, 2007, 10:09:44 PM »
Well, the Gaming Club Network have proved themselves absolutely invaluable for it's members, having released their Nemesis Crown Campaign pack... last Thursday.
Page one is usual guff about the Barren Hills.
Page two is the start of the landmarks...
The Giant’s Tump - A truncated mountain / plateau
Long rumoured to be the home of a giants, local residents of the area surrounding the Tump steer well clear of it even keeping their herds of the slopes, as tales of thunderous foot step s being heard and … have made this place only visited by the brave and foolish. Even the rumours of gold and treasure hidden away on top of the mound in the Giants hidden treasure trove doesn’t make this a place eager to be visited.

That is until now. Unusually high numbers of Ogre Warband have been sighted heading toward the Tump. For what reason no one has asked (or those that have, have been invited for lunch, never to been seen again). Could the rumours that The Tump is the last out post of the Sky Titans be drawing those Ogres eager for a scrap of old? Could the gold rumoured to be in the hidden treasure trove be the reason Greasus has sent his troops? Or could the Hold be the hiding place for something more valuable, hidden for years, and the reason that those local to The Tump are considered to be mad by their kin.

Races
The rumours of a giant have drawn the Ogre Kingdoms to this area. Along with these foes the stalwart Dwarfs have sent a number of expeditions, primarily to investigate the potential mineral veins, along with the number of caves and barrows that criss-crossing the area that could prove the hiding place for the Crown. Also of concern to the Dwarfs are the rumours of sightings of their insidious cousins from “Zharr Naggrund”

The Ruins of Tor Thana - Haunted Elven ruins
Long have the Ruins of Tor Thana dominated the skyline of the barren hills. Myth and Legend have long since taken the names of the builders or indeed the purpose of the tower into obscurity.
Yet the ruins have become the finishing line for a deadly race. From across the oceans the High Elves and the Deadly cousins of Naggaroth are both heading for the same destination. The reasoning behind this move is unknown but both races are calling upon allies to aid them.
The high elves have a long memory, and emissaries have been sent to their rustic cousins. The Dark elves have enlisted the aid of the evil vampire counts, knowing that although they cannot be trusted, they can be relied upon to fall upon any high elves in their path.

Races
All three Elven races and Vampire Counts are headed for the ruins. The ruins contain an ancient statue that resonates with mystical power. The effects of this are unknown to all but the most powerful practitioner of the arcane arts. Tentative alliances have been drawn up between the Dark Elves and Vampire Counts, and similarly with the High Elves and Wood Elves. How long these alliances hold in the heat of battle remain to be seen.

Scenarios
A four way border patrol game would give lots of opportunity for alliances, intrigue, betrayal and a glorious victory for one of the races. The one holding the centre of the ruins at the end takes all.
Use Mordheim scenario 7: Hidden treasure, then scenario 1 defend the find to represent some advance forces seeking out the treasure contained in the ruins.
In a fantasy battle game you could use a terrain piece at the centre as the objective and award 400 VPs for the army with the most Unit strength within 12” at the end of the game (but award no VPs for table quarters). You may choose to give wizards an extra power and dispel dice when they are in the ruins.

Prince Josiah looked over at the crew of the warship. The cold wind pinched at his cheeks as he pondered the mission the court had given this expedition. Carelessly fingering the hilt of his ancient blade he secretly welcomed the reports that the Black Arks of Naggaroth had been sighted in these waters. If ever there was a worthwhile reason to give up ones life, slaying Dark Elves was one of them. He knew and resented the fact that the Wood Elves had been asked for aid. Josiah was sure that the prize would be his, and the influence at court the prize would bring with it would be useful. The prince sighed and went back to penning the missive persuading those who would decide that he was the best choice for leading the force into battle.
The (less than) triumphant return...

Offline Patch

• Members
« Reply #232 on: July 29, 2007, 10:10:27 PM »
Egondorf - A village
What can one say about this Sigmar forsaken town, Situated on the Main Altdorf to Talabheim Road, it has been the stop over from main a traveller along with numerous bandits and cut throats who have sued its access to the road to great effect in both pursuit of their “trade” and evasion from justice.
This “haven” with in the Forrest north of the Barren Hills region is also surround by those who dwell in the Dark side of the Great forest and this Order has had many operative investigating the Town as to reports of Cults of followers of the unmentionable gods, The fortifications of the town have been improved over the years hand with the recent incursion of Orc and Goblins in the surrounding forests, this Cleric respectfully encourages that those able to investigate the rumours of Standing stones and occult altar being erected with in the town ,to do so as swiftly as possible.

Races
With so many hiding places in the town Chaos cultist have made inroad into every aspect of the towns life. This and the now constant sighting of Orcs, Goblins, Beastmen and even the Tree folk of the Elven race. Egondorf is open to Skirmish and investigation of teams of most races of the WFB.
Why are the totems there, what is the reason behind the sudden disappearance of the Brugemeister and his Wife (and reputed Mistress)

Offline Patch

• Members
« Reply #233 on: July 29, 2007, 10:10:58 PM »
I've decided that copying it all here is just a waste of all your time. Needless to say, I think I've left you with enough of an impression that this could have been useful if they had only bothered to get it out on time.

Offline Kaihlik

• Members
« Reply #234 on: July 29, 2007, 10:55:12 PM »
A recent proliferation of dragons at my local store has forced me to take the Imperial Banner regularly, or risk loosing a game based on 1 or two bad dice rolls. :eusa_wall:
Please I would hardly call my Dragon a proliferation (for the record I am the only player in our store that uses a Dragon on anything like a regular bases and only because he is my character for the Nemesis Crown). As always you overestimate the power of terror, even when you didn't take the imperial banner I don't think you failed a single terror test and that game was a massicare in your favour. You'll be happy to know that Peter 1 shotted my Dragon on Saturday and that was After 1 shotting my Hydra the turn before (I really really hate Dwarfs).

Offline clausewitz

• Members
« Reply #235 on: July 29, 2007, 11:46:06 PM »
Kaihlik... it is a proliferation of Dragons... you can't have just one I killed it twice already, and if Peter killed it too then thats a least four dragons  :-P

And terror has lost me a game (versus greg's ogres, his tyrant with terror caused my generals untouched sword unit to flee in my turn and get chased from the board in his, that lost me the game).

Its not the power of terror, its the randomness.  Unless you are immune you could lose your most important/expensive unit just for something being nearby.  Most games it does nothing, then a bad roll comes along and wrecks your game plan.

And why would I be happy that Peter beat you again?  I dislike playing dwarfs as much as you!  I just don't loose to Peter all the time  :wink:
(P.S. Is he suddenly playing a master engineer now?)

Anyway we are way off topic here... this is a thread for Empire generals to discuss strategy.  I'll get a bad reputation chatting with Druchii!

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #236 on: July 30, 2007, 06:30:06 PM »
Clausewitz

I understand your hatred of playing against powergamers (the vast proliferation of dragons until they become commonplace) but lets not let this become bitter and personal. Just continue to beat him on the field of battle.

Offline clausewitz

• Members
« Reply #237 on: July 30, 2007, 07:42:27 PM »
Sorry Veldemere, Kaihlik and I go to the same store to play.  We are actually on good terms, just some friendly rivalry and banter.  I had worried that this wouldn't be obvious to people that don't know us though.

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #238 on: July 30, 2007, 08:46:06 PM »
That is ok then. Maybe it is similar to my relationship with fatolaf (count Olaf), a regular opponent whom, within the game you wish you were the only one who could defeat them, but things do not always go your way! Sadly count Olaf is not only a good player but sadly very lucky as well!

Offline FatOlaf

• Members
« Reply #239 on: August 01, 2007, 12:51:36 PM »
That is ok then. Maybe it is similar to my relationship with fatolaf (count Olaf), a regular opponent whom, within the game you wish you were the only one who could defeat them, but things do not always go your way! Sadly count Olaf is not only a good player but sadly very lucky as well!

Count Olaf is pleased the human admires his tactics but displeased at the term 'lucky', for this insult, the human they call Veldemere will be at the mercy of the Great Count himself!  :icon_twisted:

Offline Patch

• Members
« Reply #240 on: August 02, 2007, 04:10:26 AM »
I'm Third!  :ph34r:

Offline Patch

• Members
« Reply #241 on: August 02, 2007, 04:12:24 AM »
I'm Third!  :ph34r:

Now I'm 176th. Natural Justice has returned!  :biggriin:

Offline clausewitz

• Members
« Reply #242 on: August 02, 2007, 11:30:34 AM »
I'm Third!
Huzzah, congratulations.
Now I'm 176th. Natural Justice has returned!
How did you manage to drop 173 places in two minutes!?!

Offline Patch

• Members
« Reply #243 on: August 03, 2007, 04:05:07 AM »
I had two massacred! results from a couple of 500 point border patrol games on Thursday.  :icon_redface:

Man, it really effects your result. :icon_eek:

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #244 on: August 03, 2007, 06:01:56 PM »
Sorry there have been no orders for the last week, but you all know what you are doing, carry on the previous fluff, there is now a tacit alliance with the Dwarves (remember we signed with the Brets first), we just need to get those results and try to finish top 4 overall, that way we may get some of the things we want. Keep reporting looking for the crown, it must be destroyed.

One last push.

Offline Tostig

• Members
« Reply #245 on: August 07, 2007, 09:30:59 AM »
I'll try and get in one more game before the campaign end. I apologise for have disappeared these last few weeks, there's no internets on a boat in the middle of the Celtic sea, and right now I'm staying at my girlfriends. Surprisingly enough there isn't much gaming there either  :icon_wink:

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #246 on: August 07, 2007, 11:47:20 PM »
Not the kind of gaming that will earn you nemesis points at least eh Tostig We have missed you fella, good to see you back.

Well that also looks like the end and, if I may say, a piss poor showing in the last week (mainly by me I'm sure) but we have been riding high in the Barren Hills up to now so I would be disappointed if we lose it. We may have to accept a few settlements we may not have wanted initially but all is not lost. Lets wait for the result and hope we have left this hole in a better state than we found it in.

For the Empire!