home

Author Topic: empire spears- what the point  (Read 14243 times)

Offline danny-d-b

• Members
empire spears- what the point
« on: April 23, 2008, 10:28:35 AM »
is it me or is there no point in empire spears
u get the same number of attacks from free company and they don't mind if they charge or not or whether they are one rank or two
when reading my posts, please bear in mind that I'm dyslectic. I make every effort to post correctly, though
thanks for your time

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
Re: empire spears- what the point
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 10:47:22 AM »
danny dude out of curiosity how old are you?

Spears get saves. Free coy don't is the answer to your question.
The greatest form of control which can go on forever until it is exposed is a tyranny you can't see, touch and taste (unlike totalitarian Govts). When you sit in a prison cell but can't see the bars, because people don't rebel against not being free when they think they're are.

Offline Rorrak

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 11:15:48 AM »
They are different in more ways than just the save.

Spearmen can have detachments, free company cannot.

For every wound done to free company you lose 2 attacks, with spears its only 1 attack that you lose so when you are fighting against higher initiative spear men are better in subsequent rounds or against ASF

Offline farmer

• Members
  • Victory is life
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 11:16:31 AM »
Hi,

Spearmen are better because: -

1) You can take detachments
2) 6+ base armour save
3) pay 1 point and you get a sheild which then give you the option of using a hand weapon and shield 4+ armour save should the enemy you are fighting be to tough.

IMHO I think that free company are much better if you use them as detachment. If you had a spearman unit of 25/30 and they had a 10 man detachment you would be getting even more attacks in. Try it see how you get on. It is your army after all.  
"We fight them with our steel, we fight them with our courage, but above all we fight them with our faith in Sigmar!"

(Magnus the Pious outside the gates of Kislev)

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
  • A mind without purpose walks in dark places
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 11:34:14 AM »
Spearmen are my favourite infantry.  Most flexible infantry that we have, with the ability to use a 4+ save or 5+ with a spear allowing more attacks.

I have no idea why anyone would not like them, aside number crunchers who work out swordsmen are a microscopic amount better in a few situations.
Stare into the Abyss and the Abyss stares back.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 11:38:59 AM »
u r kiding rght

lolz

Phil
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 11:41:55 AM »
For the record, I do use blocks of free company as well, but their complete lack of armour save makes them vunerable to a lot of weaker troops out there.

Spearmen being state troops can also take detachments, should you wish, and indeed a magic banner if you have a General of the Empire present.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline danny-d-b

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 11:45:14 AM »
don't do spears
u have to stand at the back and shoot and most people at my club play dwarfs and there never going to charge makeing spears uselsess
when reading my posts, please bear in mind that I'm dyslectic. I make every effort to post correctly, though
thanks for your time

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 11:53:32 AM »

charge the spears then in 2nd round you get 2 ranks attacking.

Even against dwarf gunlines spears are still a better choice.
The greatest form of control which can go on forever until it is exposed is a tyranny you can't see, touch and taste (unlike totalitarian Govts). When you sit in a prison cell but can't see the bars, because people don't rebel against not being free when they think they're are.

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 11:55:42 AM »
Spearmen are just as good against dwarfs as swordsmen.  Both are basically useless.

I recomend just sitting back and shooting them into oblivion.  Multiple cannons, helstorms and helblasters will cause a lot of problems for dwarfs.  If you must charge, do so with Inner Circle knights, with command, warbanner and a character like a priest or Templar GM.

Offline danny-d-b

• Members
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 11:57:37 AM »
no my plan against dwafs is to sit 3 units of pisolires on his flanks an watch them die
just look out for the copter though
thanks for your time

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 12:02:06 PM »

Whats your plan against his thunderers and crossbows shooting your pisoliers?

That may work once but never again.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 12:07:58 PM »
I don't know what a pisolires is but it sounds like a musical instrument you play with urine...

Seriously though, pistoliers are not a good choice against dwarves since they can shoot them to oblivion.  Cannons all the way.

Phil

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 12:30:28 PM »
I disagree philly.

I think pisoliers work wonders against dwarfs. If they get shot down ok. But then they're not shooting at your knights! If they don't get shot then they attack the warmachines or like I did run rings around an enemy infantry unit shooting it to oblivion.

BTW. I liked all your posts in the 3 threads. Come in, speak, leave.  :biggriin:

Offline Duce

• Members
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 12:35:47 PM »
sorry if this is a little off topic but where are the rules for the free company found? i dont seem to see them in the empire book?

(this is so i can compare to see what you lot are saying)
Northern Ireland Blood Bowl League Experience - NIBBLE
http://nibble.playsboard.com/forum.htm

Offline JohnnyAngel77

• Members
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2008, 12:37:43 PM »
Spearmen being state troops can also take detachments, should you wish, and indeed a magic banner if you have a General of the Empire present.

Not trying to hijack the thread but can somebody tell me where in the Empire book this is stated? I've looked all through it and can't seem to find it. Am I blind??
"And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him"

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2008, 12:39:30 PM »

Johnny check the rule "family heirloon" under Empire Generals.

Duce. Free Company are a type of militia, they're at the bottom of page 77.

Offline JohnnyAngel77

• Members
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2008, 12:43:33 PM »
Wow...I AM blind. Thanks!
"And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him"

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2008, 12:50:42 PM »
No probs. With Obi AWOL I think I've become the resident Spammer but I do like to help- occasionally.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2008, 01:01:24 PM »
Spears all the way. The best Empire infantry there is. Well, at least the most versatile. As it should be.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline cisse

• Members
  • let the wookie win!
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2008, 01:47:53 PM »
don't do spears
u have to stand at the back and shoot and most people at my club play dwarfs and there never going to charge makeing spears uselsess
Hello there danny,

Do you think it'd hurt you or be too much trouble to use a little punctuation and correct grammar, or at least try if English isn't your mother tongue?

Oh, and read the forum rules and don't use any web- or text message speak like "u".

u r kiding rght
Don't encourage it Philly, even though we all know you do it for laughs. It's bad enough as it is. God I hate web-speak.
cisse

No matter how fast you run, your ass will always be in front of me...

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2008, 02:31:04 PM »
Sorry cisse.

Ben:  I do use pistoleers now and then against dwarves, but I find taking 3 cannon is a must, not 3 units of pistoleers.  With the amont shooting often seen, it doesn't hurt dwarves to remove the pistoleers.  Plus, I never have any luck getting their war machines with pistoleers since they are stubborn on that damn 9.

Phil

Offline Duce

• Members
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2008, 02:42:27 PM »

Johnny check the rule "family heirloon" under Empire Generals.

Duce. Free Company are a type of militia, they're at the bottom of page 77.

Many thanks sir, ur worth 2 cookies, or a feathered hat  :::cheers:::
Northern Ireland Blood Bowl League Experience - NIBBLE
http://nibble.playsboard.com/forum.htm

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2008, 03:19:21 PM »
Sorry cisse.

Ben:  I do use pistoleers now and then against dwarves, but I find taking 3 cannon is a must, not 3 units of pistoleers.  With the amont shooting often seen, it doesn't hurt dwarves to remove the pistoleers.  Plus, I never have any luck getting their war machines with pistoleers since they are stubborn on that damn 9.

Phil

You always find 3 cannon a must, much like you always find 2 helstorms a must. I hope your army is painted black!

I never leave with 2 cannons and 1 unit of pistoliers. The 4th special is my "optional" choice. Usually outrdiers althought I'm thinking about another unit of pistoliers instead.

Offline Wyzer1

• Members
  • ^My Pic - Stuff I say ->
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2008, 04:02:32 PM »
i likes spearz cuz they has armorz tat free cumpane don't havz and win free cumpany lose guyz they looze 2 attaks wear win speers looos guyz their only lose 1 attaks per guy

Sinc we ares only move 4 we dontz charge much and speerz are greet for deefns wear free compngy r notz guud for defnsase

+ Spezr men can take dethcamentas and free company cant not 2

Now 4 teh luv uv christ u's correct grammar and punctuatitino or u r going 2 get banned

:::cheers::: And welcome to the forums, hopefully I made my point

If not it was nice knowing you
Long time Wood Elf and Empire player with newly acquired High Elves