home

Author Topic: 8th edition speculation (No wishing!)  (Read 16013 times)

Offline Florian Geyer

• Members
8th edition speculation (No wishing!)
« on: November 07, 2008, 08:58:08 PM »
According to rumours on warseer, 8th edition warhammer will be out mid-2010, less then two years away. If history is anything to go by the Empire armybook will be released shortly after. So I thought it might be fun to try and make some predictions about changes now, before any rumours has surfaced (as far as I know). And then, after the release hopefully W-E is still around and this thread can be dug up and compared to reality. Obviously anyone having predicted too many of the changes made is a witch and will be burnt accordingly.

I think it might be best to focus on the bigger things such as new special characters, units that will be removed and the like, rather than if unit X will cost Y points more/less. And again, speculation and guesses, and feel very free to try and argue why you think a certain change will be made, but don't make wishes. There has been plenty of threads with that.

Far as I understand the basic rules won't change that much since it is problematic from an economic point of view. Perhaps in 2015 or so if GW is in good financial shape at the time.

As for units I just don't see a return to the multi racial empire of 4th edition. No armylist entries were lost between 6th and 7th. And I can't really see any unit being really likely to be removed. As I even more doubt that the list will be identical I guess at least one thing will be added. Have no real clue what though. The focus has been shifted towards religion and cities, or so it seems to me. So something with a religious or engineer theme don't seem to far fetched. A cool new engineer contraption would probably resonate well with the kids (and me!). Can't really see what a new religious unit would be though.

With regards to special characters, could Gelt lose the next duel for supreme partriarchship? I wouldn't be too surprised to see Volkmar removed one way or the other. Regardless, if the current trend of herohammer returning continues, two or three new special characters seems probable. An engineer perhaps? Someone from 4th edition might very well make a return too I think, Boris is still alive, right?

People with better knowledge of the fluff might have some good insights to provide I think. Anything/one in novels and/or WFRP that might make it's way to the armybook perhaps?
Tights and puffs are for real men, only pansys and women wear skirts and dresses.

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
Re: 8th edition speculation (No wishing!)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 10:22:04 PM »
I think an engineer Special will come, with al their promotion of sparky. I also think the halberd will be fixed, they have some sense, out there, somewhere... Stank will be customisable, or at least the engie will be, as the plastic concept features a HLR. And pistoliers will get the fusillade rule again, they just aren't as good as other fast cav now.
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline Von Breden

• Members
  • Remembering the Eccentric
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 10:29:44 PM »
Which Boris? The Tzar or the Count? The Tzar is dead, the Count not.

I don't really know if there'd be any entries. Perhaps core light cavalry with bows? They were used in the battle where Mannfred got killed (Hell Fenn?)!
Quote from: Siberius
I never noticed your height on account of your fabulous manly imperial beard.

He who has such amazing facial hair will never be short in the eyes of his comrades!

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 10:47:15 PM »
The question is, how much longer will GW hold on to the current empire special characters? Karl Franz must be close to 50 already with the current timeline .. Kurt Helborg 55+ ... the elector counts etc. Will they swap them out eventually? Probably not in the next edition, since they have been very busy writing "Karl Franz" on about every model there is, but ...

Offline venus_redscar

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 10:50:45 PM »
I think a named engineer might surface. The book gives the names of inventors, we might see the Chancellor of the College of Engineers and some unique contraption. I think generic Engineer rules might change a well or they could get their own list of "magic" items that aren't magic, but work like magic items.

Gelt could be replaced, or he could stay and other School of Magic Patriarchs could surface. I think Volkner will be staying around or a War Alter in some form.

Offline Florian Geyer

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 10:53:27 PM »
@Van Breden Todbringer. Not expecting Kislev forces returning in the list.

I thought about another light cavalry unit, we did have Kislev horse archers back in the day and some of the stuff I've seen described in WFRP would be such. But still, I don't consider two (three if you count outriders) units of light cavalry very likely.

@ Obi I think you are right about the Steamtank, good thinking.

@Victor Good point. Perhaps a "phasing out", if nothing else because of GWs aversion to major changes. There is certainly a number of elector counts could get a spot. On the other hand focus has kind of shifted away from the counts.
Tights and puffs are for real men, only pansys and women wear skirts and dresses.

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 10:56:36 PM »
Much like with the latest Dark Elves, this time around I do not think Empire will get any new units (nor loose any) but lots of new tweaks, special unit characters, items, and the like. And a much beefier background (with the new mysterious Storm of Chaos that has yet to fully happen... WTF?).
My hood is my castle...

Offline BingoBongoEmpire

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 12:20:47 AM »
The most likely result of this edition that I can see is unfortunately the exact thing that happened between 6th and 7th - GW will 'listen to feedback' about the way the army lists have developed over the course of 7th and decide to go back to the grass roots of the game. The result for ourselves (and most likely Orcs & Goblins too) is that we'll have only a slight modification to what we've got rather than the kind of lavish attention more recent books have been given. Of course, there is always the possibility that for later books they will again embark on a course of sprucing them up only to repeat the phase once more.

There is a chance that's not what's going to happen, but at the beginning of 6th we saw GW wanting to do the exact same thing, and then rapidly lurching from book to book making some with a relatively high innate strength level only to stagger to another and make it less so. This time we've got a few lists that undoubtedly have been slightly exaggerated in their capabilities and I think it'll only be a matter of time before someone comes in to write a new book in what they consider to be a more 'balanced' way and to end up with an albatross of an army.

Whether or not we do stay with a book that's broadly the same as we have now or not may be a good or a bad thing. I think the army could have most of the kinks removed by very, very few small changes rather than wholesale alterations.

Anyway enough about that. Based on the current book and the trends of recent ones so far I can see a few things that may happen. GW seem to be at least trying to give each army choices and abilities that resemble those they have in the background, putting more character into the army list (re-roll panic for WoC, ASF for High Elves, that kind of thing).

Generals I could imagine will get something to make them more appealing - it may be something as simple as a slight price reduction but I doubt it. I also doubt reducing the Griffon Banner price would happen either as that was something specifically moved away from. Perhaps something like keeping him as is, but if you pay a small upgrade fee you can take a unit of Greatswords as either core, or just as bodyguard without taking up a special slot.

Core units I can't see really changing hugely as by and large they seem to work as GW wants them to. I could quite easily imagine Free Company getting a boost - perhaps a limited shooting ability as they are supposed to be carrying a variety of weapons including firearms. Nothing too powerful, maybe a random number of S3 hits. I think Huntsmen will go down in minimum size again as that was probably more a mistake than anything. State troops I don't really see changing. If any do it'll be the halberdiers I imagine. Knights probably won't change either - they may review the White Wolf changes as they were both unnecessary and poorly thought out - but besides that I think they'll keep them free of too many special rules such as order upgrades.

Specials I'm less sure about, they are a hugely competitive section of the army but I'm not sure GW will want to get rid of any choices. Cannon and mortar have been there for an age, greatswords don't fit anywhere else, pistoliers and outriders are both sharing a plastic kit so they won't go anywhere either, and there isn't really one of them that I think GW will see justify much of a tweak. Pistoliers fit the role they were intended for now, harrassers rather than unit breakers.

Rares I don't see changing much either. Flagellants are (if more easily killed) not without their uses, and the Helblasters and Rocket launchers also share a kit so are unlikely to go anywhere. I can see the Helblaster having a less dangerous misfire chart overall to take the sting out of it being less effective (again, I think it was probably an oversight based on a lack of understanding of how it had changed). Steam Tanks will probably go back somewhat towards the 6th edition rules in terms of making them more conducive to selling the rumoured new plastic box sets.

Magic items I think will undergo a hefty overhaul, not to take out the useless ones and replace them with better alternatives but simply to try to enforce the idea that the 8th edition army isn't just a modification to an army that'll have been the same for many years. I can see that there's an opening for a selection of different magic plate armours (much as chaos has predominantly chaos armour variations).

Battle standard bearers I think will be altered to allow the same equipment options as recent army books, which is perfectly sensible.

Templar Grand Masters and Arch Lectors I think will stay the same - both have good utility depending on what you want to do, though I do think the War Altar will go up in price a bit.

Engineers I don't think are long for this world. Unless GW want to do a complete re-vamp of them I can quite easily see them either being nothing more than part of a steam tank, or removed as a hero and placed into war machines as an upgrade with a few basic weapon options.

Special Characters will probably stay much the same. We have an average amount compared to other armies in this edition, with the benefit that unlike the larger selections from books such as DoC and WoC we actually have models for all the ones in our book, even if a couple could do with an upgrade. Besides that, Karl Franz will stay as he's become as synonymous with the Empire now as Ghal Maraz. Helborg will probably stay, Huss can't have much done with him that hasn't been done already (though I'd love to see a bit of a boost for him). An Elector character is a definite possibility, and if there is one I think to try to keep longer term Empire players happy it would be one that hasn't been seen before in rules or model form (Theodoric Gausser perhaps?). The problem I see with Gelt being beaten is that GW want to keep the SoC as an imminent event it seems, so allowing Gelt to lose the duel as Patriarch would be moving it forward past the SoC again unless they really bugger the timeline.

Hopefully that hasn't bored too many people. I've tried to steer clear of making it a wishlist as far as possible.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 12:23:58 AM by BingoBongoEmpire »

Offline Rune

• Members
  • - Fullplates and halberds -
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 09:39:18 AM »
No, Bingo, I actually found that quite interesting, and I do agree with many things you said.

The most likely result of this edition that I can see is unfortunately the exact thing that happened between 6th and 7th - GW will 'listen to feedback' about the way the army lists have developed over the course of 7th and decide to go back to the grass roots of the game. The result for ourselves (and most likely Orcs & Goblins too) is that we'll have only a slight modification to what we've got rather than the kind of lavish attention more recent books have been given. Of course, there is always the possibility that for later books they will again embark on a course of sprucing them up only to repeat the phase once more.

There is a chance that's not what's going to happen, but at the beginning of 6th we saw GW wanting to do the exact same thing, and then rapidly lurching from book to book making some with a relatively high innate strength level only to stagger to another and make it less so. This time we've got a few lists that undoubtedly have been slightly exaggerated in their capabilities and I think it'll only be a matter of time before someone comes in to write a new book in what they consider to be a more 'balanced' way and to end up with an albatross of an army.

Whether or not we do stay with a book that's broadly the same as we have now or not may be a good or a bad thing. I think the army could have most of the kinks removed by very, very few small changes rather than wholesale alterations.
With this I mostly agree. The way Empire has been treated for the past, what, 6 years, and even beyond that, has shown that GW doesn't have much intentions to make Empire that diffirent in the end. Many things have stayed the same for ages, such as the state troops and captains, not to forget handguns and crossbowmen. They have seen from little to no change since 5th edition, and I think the biggest change, quite obviously, was the step from 5th ed to 6th. That happened to all of the armies, though, which is totally great.

The thing is, that in my view Empire has been pretty much the same stylewise for the past decade. I've now read the 5th edition armybook, and it's been very clear what the Empire was supposed to do back then: take a few monsters, a horrendous amount of cannons and mortars and some knights to keep the regiment minimium in order, hope for few misfires and blast things. I mean, once again, what's not in the picture? What's the thing that the Empire has been, in the fluff at least, known for, and what should be the basis of Imperial armies? Infatry. Fighting melee infantry. You might've seen an occasional handgunner in armies back then, but I can't see anyone taking halberdiers even then. But then again, I didn't play 5th, and those of you who did might know better.

The book of 7th did actually make some improvements to the Empire army, though, and it's good to see that with every new book every army seems to have changed, even a bit, to some direction. But all in all, some things have ultimately sayed the same: cannons, missile troops and state regiments. You'd really think that those are going to have a revamp? Cannons don't even need it, nor do the missile troops (save for the light armour), but even if I'd humbly beg for better halberdiers and spearmen, I doubt that will happen.

They'd take S4 anyday, after all. ;-)

Anyway enough about that. Based on the current book and the trends of recent ones so far I can see a few things that may happen. GW seem to be at least trying to give each army choices and abilities that resemble those they have in the background, putting more character into the army list (re-roll panic for WoC, ASF for High Elves, that kind of thing).
Which is very good, even though the ASF was a 'bit' over the top in my opinion. For my taste, that just didn't fly. But the Empire has the detachment rule, which was highly improved from the 5th edition one, thank Sigmar for that. I just don't quite understand the function for the rule in the 5th... I mean, WTF?

Generals I could imagine will get something to make them more appealing - it may be something as simple as a slight price reduction but I doubt it. I also doubt reducing the Griffon Banner price would happen either as that was something specifically moved away from. Perhaps something like keeping him as is, but if you pay a small upgrade fee you can take a unit of Greatswords as either core, or just as bodyguard without taking up a special slot.
I'm wishing the General would be changed, and actually I could see that happening. They must've by now noticed how overpowered the other choices are compared to the General. I don't think however, as you said, that they're going to just reduce the pointscost. They're going to improve him in some way. Just an image popped to my mind, that they might just as well take the approach of simplyfying things and hero/lord choices by merging Grand Masters and Generals. It's just a hunch, I don't have anything to claim that would actually happen. That way they'd also solve the problem which I'll present at the end of the post.

Core units I can't see really changing hugely as by and large they seem to work as GW wants them to. I could quite easily imagine Free Company getting a boost - perhaps a limited shooting ability as they are supposed to be carrying a variety of weapons including firearms. Nothing too powerful, maybe a random number of S3 hits. I think Huntsmen will go down in minimum size again as that was probably more a mistake than anything. State troops I don't really see changing. If any do it'll be the halberdiers I imagine. Knights probably won't change either - they may review the White Wolf changes as they were both unnecessary and poorly thought out - but besides that I think they'll keep them free of too many special rules such as order upgrades.
I don't actually think that the free companiers are going anywhere. They intentionally robbed them of the option for light armour (then again, who cares... ;-) ), and they're just as good as halberdiers right now as detachments. They haven't seen much frowning upon in my opinion, and aren't that bad a choice as a whole. In addition the style they've taken Empire towards leans on priests, cannons and discipline instaed of the rural folk and mercinaries. The huntsmen argument I on the other hand understand, and agree with. They're bound to fix the GW knights, however... Someone somewhere over there must've seen they mistake they made earlier. They just plain suck, as we all very well know. They must also. It's a wish, but more than that it's something I must believe true to keep even a small amount of trust towards GW's balancing and rules writing politics, no matter how overly optimistic I might be when saying that.

Specials I'm less sure about, they are a hugely competitive section of the army but I'm not sure GW will want to get rid of any choices. Cannon and mortar have been there for an age, greatswords don't fit anywhere else, pistoliers and outriders are both sharing a plastic kit so they won't go anywhere either, and there isn't really one of them that I think GW will see justify much of a tweak. Pistoliers fit the role they were intended for now, harrassers rather than unit breakers.

Rares I don't see changing much either. Flagellants are (if more easily killed) not without their uses, and the Helblasters and Rocket launchers also share a kit so are unlikely to go anywhere. I can see the Helblaster having a less dangerous misfire chart overall to take the sting out of it being less effective (again, I think it was probably an oversight based on a lack of understanding of how it had changed). Steam Tanks will probably go back somewhat towards the 6th edition rules in terms of making them more conducive to selling the rumoured new plastic box sets.
These are all very good points. The Flagellants might see a tweak towards something more 6thish or 5thish, since the circle has gained on the 5th edition with every passing book. They did just change them, I'm aware of that, but only a few good things stay. The detachment thing was a huge improvement from 5th to 6th, I see it clearly now as I've read the 5th ed book. I mean... god. And the steam tank thing might be very well true. I could see the helblasters altered in some way to the 8th, however. We'll have to see what kinds of things they end up doing with salamanders and other things like that with the lizardmen book in the spring, but most likely the blaster will be made better again, either with static Bs4, a less dangerous misfire chart or autohits made possible again. The latter is the least propable, however, and the first two are most likely to be introduced, possibly even as a pair.

Magic items I think will undergo a hefty overhaul, not to take out the useless ones and replace them with better alternatives but simply to try to enforce the idea that the 8th edition army isn't just a modification to an army that'll have been the same for many years. I can see that there's an opening for a selection of different magic plate armours (much as chaos has predominantly chaos armour variations).
I can't actually see this coming. They didn't revamp them from 5th to 6th that much, as far as I know, and they did little to the 7th ed book. The elves and other more abstract creatures and armybooks are easier to tweak, since they in a way represent the open approach and movement of the development in the Warhammer world, as a contrast to the Empire, which is more or less the conservative party of the general idea of Warhammer world. I'm not saying the elves are the ones chancing the world, it's the men that do new stuff, but from our point of view: the Empire is we see ourselves in as. Too bad I just can't come up with the precise word for this right now.. Anyways, I'd compare the Empire to the Space Marnies of 40k. When did they actually get anything new? I mean, really new? They can play with the orcs and tyranids all they want, honestly, and those players are never disatisfied to extents they'd stop playing those armies. The marines are the front page guys people like, and if they'd get changed in playing style, or anything much to great extents, people would be scared. Something has to stay the same to make sure people feel safe and comfortable with the game and the world, and that should be something that's on the surface all the time - one of those familiar armies. And I'm not talking about chaos now, people expect them to change. ;-) And, on top of that, the elves and dwarfs have a history of millenia of years with magical energies and items, and they actually know how to make them. The men don't.

All in all, I just can't see them revamping the magic items that much. They might introduce a few, they might take out a few, they might change come, they might alter the points values a bit... But all in all not much is going to change. Especially in the magic weapon department. They'll do something to the skavenslayer helmet, though. :-) They'd be pretty dumb not to.

Battle standard bearers I think will be altered to allow the same equipment options as recent army books, which is perfectly sensible.
That's taken for granted.

Engineers I don't think are long for this world. Unless GW want to do a complete re-vamp of them I can quite easily see them either being nothing more than part of a steam tank, or removed as a hero and placed into war machines as an upgrade with a few basic weapon options.
I don't know if I see this one coming either without saying. I'm quite sure they'll do something to them, even though I'm not sure what. There was a lot of hype about engineers in the 7th ed book, and they ended up (again) useless. They are a mighty fine idea, but how they put them they're just not worth the trouble, as all know. They did however put a lot of time and trouble to working with them, or at least branchising them, so I don't think the 7th is the last we've seen of the engineers. If nothing more they'll be represented in the steam tank, and I'd say we'll see them in a form or another in the hero department even in the future. If they'll get a fix, I don't know, but we'll see them.

Anyways, I'd like to say something aloud that none other did: They'll fix the griffon. I'm sure about that. Just see what they did with the Manticore for example, and that one was supposed to be the evil rival of the Griffon. They'll either reduce it in points, give it as an option to a Grand Master and/or the wizard lord, give it plate mail (hardly), raise it's strength, give it hatred or something or a variation of these. Just compare. And they've raised the amount of monsters recently a lot. Manticores, elven dragon variants, hydras, giants, stegadons in the coming lizard list... I mean, come on, 8 stegs in 2000 points? I know they might be serious, and that's what frightens me so. They'll fix the griffon, no doubt about that.
"Oh, to hades with the manners... He is a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De'Arnise

The Imperial duchy of Grandbelos
Wolfenstein, the Cult of Ulric
Magocracy of Arcanschloss

Offline Spiney

• Members
  • Merchant Prince of Marienburg
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 10:06:14 AM »
According to rumours on warseer, 8th edition warhammer will be out mid-2010, less then two years away. If history is anything to go by the Empire armybook will be released shortly after. So I thought it might be fun to try and make some predictions about changes now, before any rumours has surfaced (as far as I know). And then, after the release hopefully W-E is still around and this thread can be dug up and compared to reality. Obviously anyone having predicted too many of the changes made is a witch and will be burnt accordingly.

That date sounds very speculative. We know release dates up to feb (Lizardmen) but there are 7 armies that are awaiting 7th Ed re-writes, 4 of which (Skaven, Ogres, Tomb Kings and Beasts) desperately need them to avoid becoming Dark Eldar'd (general term indicating that the army is now so horrendously neglected and uncompetitive as to not be worth playing) by GW. With a schedule of 3 releases a yr (which is pretty much what they've been working at) its going to take until almost the end of 2010 before they get them all sorted, longer if they want to look at dwarfs, Bretonnians and Wood Elves (the only 6th Ed books which are still competitive in 7th). To let Tomb Kings, Ogres, Skaven or Beasts swing for another whole edition would be a catastrophic mistake, none of them were particularly competitive when 7th was launched, let alone now.

Brain wounder: for when you don't want to kill your enemies, just leave them bedridden and pissing themselves.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 12:57:59 PM »
 :icon_eek:

Rune wins the much coveted Mathi Long Post Award and is poster of the day.

Copngratulations.

:::cheers:::

To early for me to give two shits about 8th edition.

Phil
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 01:34:10 PM »
What I'd like to see in the empire book:
-New, well sculpted and well designed state troops
-A fixed engineer(like dwarf engineers, and with less stupid shit.)
-Steam tank variants(mortar, experimental weapon platform, helblaster etc), in addition to making the main ST gun usable(instant -1 wound in case of misfire? :icon_confused:)
-A new KF model on a new griffon model(seriously, isn't this guy as old as our knights?)
-Please don't fuck this up GW oh please
-Bring back the cavalry hammer!
-Make Pistoliers a core choice OR give them heavy armour OR give them fussilade OR introduce a cheap core choice light cavalry.

The BRB:
-A fixed halberd
-Decreased importance of ALL characters, special rules and any magic items of doom.
-Increased emphasis on ranked(or otherwise in case of armies like WE and Brets) core choices, giving them a boost in holding power.

Other army books:
-No more game-dumbing mass special rules or deviant power-creep army builds hiding under the excuse of army diversity(Looking at you Demons/Brettonia/HE/DE)
-Fewer army specific magic lores OR they should start being on-par with the standard lores of magic.
- :icon_evil: CHAOS DWARVES  :icon_evil:
-A dogs of war list made to represent more than just Tilea. Estalia, Cathay and Kislev could be placed in this list as well.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline BingoBongoEmpire

• Members
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 02:11:05 PM »
I agree the Griffon could be improved Rune, but although I'd favour plate myself (and then only because I have to admit I liked the way it looked cosmetically in the CCG and Mark of Chaos) I don't personally see GW looking at it from any perspective other than that it gives us access to a large monster that's fairly competant and lets our general cause terror. I think the inherent vulnerabilities (such as how to shield a bloody great bird in amongst almost exclusively normal sized targets while still making use of the rider) are things GW would be happy to leave us with. The Griffon isn't a bad choice as it is, so they may well leave it for that reason alone.

I am not sure about variant steam tanks either, as it's something that could go either way. If the kit is released next year it's unlikely it'll have different weapon options as the book doesn't allow them and short of re-starting the 6th edition 'Which errata/additional rule is official' debate by adding more White Dwarf articles (which besides the giant they have largely avoided this edition) there'd be no utility for them for several years. It'd be a very unusual move for them to release (not just create, I'm sure they do that well in advance) a sprue that had options planned for an option in a book that isn't even close to being looked at again.

On the other hand, making plastic kits with variant loadouts is a good move for GW as I imagine it does create multiple purchases to have each useful variant without having to modify a single model so it can be swapped out.

We do have a pretty darned good army at the minute, and that's even with the hobbling most people take as part and parcel of the Empire. I don't think GW will change certain things because they need to change, but I do think they will feel a desire to do something to attract more new players to the army.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 02:13:52 PM by BingoBongoEmpire »

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 02:12:48 PM »
2010 is pretty accurate if you believe Jervis in the last Gamesday.

The reason is that they want to the same for fantasy as they did for 40K (not making the games similar mind you) and clean up odd stuff.
My hood is my castle...

Offline Florian Geyer

• Members
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 03:08:55 PM »
So far only one poster did not understand what this thread is about, better than I feared really. (Yes, patsy02, I'm looking at you.)

@Spiney Besides what Shadowlord said, as far as rumours go, so take it for what it is, Dwarfs, and most likely Wood Elves as well, won't get 7th edition armybooks. (Hey, I think I just heard Mathi implode far, far away.) Due to them being published so late and with 7th edition in mind.

@BingoBongoEmpire. Good reasoning. I do however think that there has to be something else besides tweeking here and there, if nothing else then to get people motivated to get the book rather than just adjusting point values, or the like, by writing in the margin with a pencil. Not sure changes to magic items and special characters will be enough.

Giving FC the option to stand and shot, causing D6 S3 his on the charging unit certainly would be colourful.

Some more random thoughts:

Heavy infantry has come rather strong in latter 7th edition books. Could we perhaps see something on that front? I do however not, for a number of reasons, believe in the return of the foot Reiksguard.

If the trend with special champions continues my guess would be that the flagellants gets one.

GW seems to, for some lists, have wanted to shift the focus to infantry. Our knights could, like HE silver helms, be moved to special. I don't really think so but if any unit will change slot, that would be it I believe.

I did a comparison between a few armybooks with regard to changes from 6th to 7th edition. Didn't bother with special characters though.

Empire got the archlector (with pope mobile option) and (the return of) outriders and Steamtank. And the brand spanking new rocket battery.

Orcs and Goblins saw the return of Spider riders (core) and Squig hoppers (special).

Dark Elves had Crossbowmen added to core. Harpies moved to core from special. Black Guard moved to special from rare. RBTs returned.

High Elves got Army wide ASF. Silver Helms moved to special from core. Phoenix Guard from rare to special. White Lions and Lion chariot added as special choices. Great eagle added as rare. And a few different dragon types for characters to ride.

Chaos and undead has changed too much since 4th edition so I think it is difficult to try and draw any conclusions from them.

With the exception Empire HRL and possibly HE lion chariots I think all the "new" stuff was units that had been around in earlier armybooks but cut in 6th. In the case of Empire there really isn't that much that could make it's return though. Non humans, again, seems unlikely and are, kind of, available through DoW. That leaves foot Reiksguard (see above) and War Wagons. With the new chariot rules the latter could be pretty nasty. It is also an "engineer unit". Not sure it has enough "coolness" factor though.

Offline Dazgrim

• Members
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 03:36:22 PM »
I did a comparison between a few armybooks with regard to changes from 6th to 7th edition. Didn't bother with special characters though.

Dark Elves had Crossbowmen added to core. Harpies moved to core from special. Black Guard moved to special from rare. RBTs returned.

High Elves got Army wide ASF. Silver Helms moved to special from core. Phoenix Guard from rare to special. White Lions and Lion chariot added as special choices. Great eagle added as rare. And a few different dragon types for characters to ride.

DE already had core crossbows, and they were never without RTB's. Likewise HE already had White Lions.

Otherwise I agree that a 'new' flashy unit in the form of a reintroduced old unit seems likely to be a trend GW will continue, as it will appeal to long standing players who have an army but not the new unit, as well as enabling them to flaunt the new unit as a reason to collect the army.
Don't hug me I'm British, we only show affection to dogs and horses.

Grenzstadt stands.

Offline Dihenydd

• Members
  • Back on Hiatus
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2008, 03:55:24 PM »
I guess its part wish/part premonition.  But with the increasing availability of new technologies regarding sprue design, I think we'll see ever more variety of bits n' pieces.  I think we'll also start to see more uni-body instead of leg/torso we saw in 6th edition.

What this means is my prediction/hope that basic troopers from each army will become more 'build a trooper' style.  and then have unique choices for each race. 

So for example you can run a basic Empire foot-trooper with the system I showed earlier, so it might look like:

Soldier of the Empire, w/ HW. 4pts.
Extra HW, +1
light Armour, 1 pt
Halberd, 1 pt
Spear, 1 pt
Shield, 1 pt
Heavy armour, 3 pts
Full Plate Armour, 7 pts.
Great Weapons, 2 pts.
WS 4, 1 pt.
Init 4, 2 pts.
Pikes, 4 pts (Ok, this is dreaming)

And then use similar systems for each race.  GW doesn't need different box set for each regiment, but can just use these more versatile 'soldier sprues'. etc 

Then add the race specific specials, HG's, knights etc etc, but allow the same kind of considerations.

Yes you can end with with Full Plate wearing, WS 4, I 4, Pike Using, pistol carrying soldiers, but the cost would make these less than desirable.  But think of the modeling opportunities.

But GW would have to decide if they are a selling HeroHammer or not first.
Sometimes the "Old Ones" just need to leave.....

Offline Florian Geyer

• Members
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 04:32:22 PM »
DE already had core crossbows, and they were never without RTB's. Likewise HE already had White Lions.

Otherwise I agree that a 'new' flashy unit in the form of a reintroduced old unit seems likely to be a trend GW will continue, as it will appeal to long standing players who have an army but not the new unit, as well as enabling them to flaunt the new unit as a reason to collect the army.

Now this is pretty embarrassing, you are absolutely right about DE RBTs and HE White Lions (and in addition I was wrong about them being out of Great Eagles for 6th edition). I somehow managed to miss the last rare page in both books. Must have been because Empire only had one page of rares... But after checkling again I am absolutely sure DE did not have crossbowmen in 6th. I hope I'm not wrong again.

**Edit. Right, in 6th you had warriors who could have crossbows in addition to spears. Now they are two separate entires and their x-bowmen does no have spears. Core crossbows, yes. Crossbowmen, no. Grasping for straws her, ok. :icon_wink: **

If we look at armies other than Empire, are there units that isn't in 7th that was in 4th and/or 5th edition for say O&G or pixies? Anything that could be reintroduced for the dwarfs?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 04:38:41 PM by Florian Geyer »

Offline Captain Tineal

• Members
  • You will join me or die! Could you do any less?
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2008, 05:59:58 PM »
I don't know about Empire, but I'm willing to bet 8th ed will see the game switch from a pitched battle format to a more objective based format like I've heard 40k has (I don't play it, nor do I know anything about it other than little bits I hear)

Look at the GT (UK I believe) rules, they have kill point scenarios and other objective scenarios, but the KP scenarios seem to balance things out a fair bit.
I don't know what a pisolires is but it sounds like a musical instrument you play with urine...

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2008, 06:52:09 PM »
So for example you can run a basic Empire foot-trooper with the system I showed earlier, so it might look like: ...

Here is my go at this and yes I know ... I'm now more drifting into "wishfull thinking mode", which is not what this thread is about.

Core: Soldier of the Empire (WS3, I3, Morale 7): Light Armour, Handweapon. 4pts.

Equipment Options (chose one):
1) Halbderd, 1pt
2) Halberd + Heavy Armour, 2pts
3) Spear, 1pt
4) Spear + shield, 2pts
5) Greatweapon, 2pts
6) Greatweapon + Heavy Armour, 3pts
7) Shield, 1pt
8) Pike, 5pts
9) Pike + Heavy Armour, 6pts

Additional Option(s):
o) May be upgraded to WS4 for 1pt/model. (One unit per 1000 points only?)

Special: Empire Guardsman (WS4, I4, Morale 8): Fullplate Armour, Handweapon. 8pts

Equipment Options (chose one):
1) Halberd, 1pt
2) Greatweapon, 2pts.

Additional Option(s):
o) Unit may receive a Magical banner up to 50pts.

Special rules: Stubborn.

Rare 0-1: Knights on Foot (WS4, I4, Morale 8): Fullplate Armour, Handweapon, shield. 10pts

Additional Option(s):
o) May be upgraded to Strength 4 for +2pts/model.
o) Unit may receive a Magical banner up to 50pts.

Making a System like that is not so easy. "Deconstructing" the cost of a Greatsword, to determine the cost of FPA and stubborn, for example is difficult, if not impossible ... If you don't like a certain point value, don't burn me.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 07:01:00 PM by Victor »

Offline Folken

• Members
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2008, 07:56:41 PM »
I actually like the idea of giving the option of the guardsmen to have either halberds or greatswords. Unfortunately, this doesn't give much reverse compatibility and presents a bunch of issues in the hobby side of the game with how you would model all these different options without having 30 dollar kits for 5 models.

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2008, 08:26:58 PM »
Apparently there is a plastic Greatswords kit on the way. Not with halbders included, but you get those with the statetroops.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2008, 11:48:23 PM »
I don't know about Empire, but I'm willing to bet 8th ed will see the game switch from a pitched battle format to a more objective based format like I've heard 40k has (I don't play it, nor do I know anything about it other than little bits I hear)

Not sure how that would work since the fantasy setting is so static in terms of movement.  Also, 40k is more modern styled, with important things to take and hold while fantasy still sort of represents the large static armies meeting in battle sort of like Roman legions or medieval battlefields.

Phil
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2008, 12:23:15 AM »
Not sure how that would work since the fantasy setting is so static in terms of movement. 

While I agree that there will be more to battles than just pitched, I suspect that the new (another fake but OK to read) battle report between WoC and Dwarfs in the latest WD have some elements that may be implemented (you do not win by taking the objective(s), it gives you extra points as well as abilities when you are close to it, some good and some bad).
My hood is my castle...

Offline Rune

• Members
  • - Fullplates and halberds -
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2008, 01:01:10 AM »
:icon_eek:

Rune wins the much coveted Mathi Long Post Award and is poster of the day.

Copngratulations.

:::cheers:::
I wish. Half of the post was quotes of Bingo's post, and my text didn't actually have that lot of important stuff in it. Save the nominations for people desercing them, won't you Phil? :-)

Anyways, I like the way of this conversation. I've actually been thinking about the Warhammer of today, and the mroe I think and talk about it the more it seems to me that the game should be driven towards objective style. I'm not talking about contested objectives worth victory points or anything (I think I'll need to check out the fifth ed of 40k), but scenario based games should and most propably would force people to rethink their ways of playing and shuffle the deck of unit options a fair bit. It's too late for me to get any ideas to my head to present them, but scenarios and objectives I could see as the next direction of Warhammer. At least I hope they'll try it out - it's always possibly to simply return to the same old bitched battle, but attempts towards scenariolised playing won't go to waste, of that I'm sure.

And stubborn full plated halberdiers... /drool Anyways, I doubt we'll see that coming, even though I'd like it very much.
"Oh, to hades with the manners... He is a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De'Arnise

The Imperial duchy of Grandbelos
Wolfenstein, the Cult of Ulric
Magocracy of Arcanschloss