home

Author Topic: What exactly happened in Storm of Chaos?  (Read 40441 times)

Offline BingoBongoEmpire

• Members
Re: What exactly happened in Storm of Chaos?
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2008, 12:34:46 AM »
I doubt they will ever revisit the campaign except to refer to it as the active beginning of the End Times (tm).

GW are, as much as I like them, utterly incapable of writing anything that isn't filled with 'Dozens were felled with every swing of his blade', or 'Gotrek ran his thumb along the blade of his axe, drawing a bead of blood', or 'Chaos is destined to rule the world, and all Empire men will be carried around in handbags like an heiress' dog', and things like that. Anything SoC related will probably be limited to the novels rather than direct involvement from us on the scale of the original campaign.

Well maybe not the last one.

The earlier books mention defeat, the later books go back to before the campaign. The VC book refers to Mannfred as possibly having returned. After the SoC I think there were at least a couple of people still on their lunchbrea-...uh, I mean defending the walls of Middenheim, who probably saw the chat between him and Volkmar. Personally I'm pretty convinced GW will stick to small, isolated campaigns for unimportant areas of the world (so in other words, Nemesis Crown style rather than Albion or SoC)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 12:42:27 AM by BingoBongoEmpire »

Offline Folken

• Members
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2008, 12:44:53 AM »
Moral of the story, the true entities of war are not Khorne worshipers/demons its the greenskins.  Old Ones 1 Chaos 0. 

Offline ZehKaiser

• Members
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2008, 09:41:01 PM »
The empire army book is set after the SoC, but it is very much so marginalized.  The only direct reference and proof of this I can think of off the top of my head is Volkmar's fluff and frenzy rule where it mentions him escaping Be'lekor's battle standard and killing 75,000 demons with just some chains, then coming back and being re-instated as the Grand Theogenist.  Though the implication is now he is tainted by chaos and it adds a creepy cool little piece of irony to the fluff.  If nothing else came out of SoC that did, a definitive change to the fluff.

Before SoC: 6th army book doesn't have volkmar as a playable character (his fluff is in the book though, mostly pertaining to Luther Huss), though he is an internet character.  In the 6th ed. fluff his absence from the army list is justified by him being reclusive since he "senses the coming storm".  He is portrayed in a venerating light and also shown to be in the favor of sigmar since he can feel the crowning of the everchosen, sense the SoC coming, and also Knows that Huss is the man who will find the champion of light (and pardoned him because of this despite his break from the church).  The rest of the Cult of Sigmar at the time  is implied to be corrupt since Huss had to leave the church to fight the corruption and his piety is beyond doubt.  Since Volkmar pardons him he too is shown to be above the corruption which seems to stop with the arch lectors.

In WD coinciding with the HoC release: Then when volkmar feels archeon beginning to muster his army, he marches a large force to the chaos wastes to attempt to defeat archeon before he becomes too powerful.  He rides north with his WA (the only one mind you, which is funny since it gets lost) and a large amount of knights of the blazing sun.  He fights archeon in the troll country, but he is too powerful and kills volkmar in a challenge. (there is a WD battle report for this when the HoC army was released)

During SoC: Volkmar lies there in the tundra, his corpse frozen and forgotten until months later Belekor's army marches in the wake of archeon's.  When he comes across the battlefield he finds all the well preserved frozen corpses still lying where they were slain, including Volkmar's.  He uses the powers of chaos to reanimate Volkmar (which in itself implies he is tainted by it).  He then chains volkmar to his battle standard and fills his minds with the secrets of chaos.  All this forbidden knowledge clashes with his faith and a great internal battle erupts within Volkmar, for a man as pious as he is, this is the greatest torture and Belekor delights in it.  At the gates of Middenheim Volkmar breaks free of his chains and is rescued by the forces of good and taken back into the city.

In the 7th empire AB:  Volkmar is back after his ordeal and takes his seat back from the AL that replaced him, but now he has a tortured and ravaged mind, with the taint of chaos remaining.  That is why he has frenzy now, though I don't know how he got is WA back unless Belekor brought it back for him, which is nice of the Lord of Shadows.  So now the "Pope" of sigmar is potentially an agent of chaos, whether he knows it or not.  A nice twist.

So the storm of chaos did in fact change some of  the empire fluff forever.  And that made it into 7th.  Surely not as much as was promised back in 2004, but at least its something.  Undeniable proof that it did exist, but in 7th ed some AB's are set before SoC, such as the HE one and the WoC, and some are set after, such as the empire one. 
Veteran of the Storm of Chaos, Lustria, and Nemesis Crown Campaigns.
Podhammer - The Warhammer Podcast

Offline BingoBongoEmpire

• Members
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2008, 10:58:38 PM »
There's no denying some aspects of the SoC changed the background - the point is everything that underwent a change did so as a result of GW's predetermined storyline and had nothing to do with our input. That's the part that got people irritated, as the results of the campaign were meaningless. If Volkmar returning had been a direct result of our results it would have been a bit different.

Offline ZehKaiser

• Members
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2008, 11:26:34 PM »
Maybe he wouldn't have if the bad guys had swept instead of the good guys...  So maybe we did have an effect after all?

Offline jlutin

• Members
  • In Development Now
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2008, 05:31:44 PM »
The forces of light so soundly pounded the forces of darkness that there was little excitement in the end.  In reality, the forces of chaos would have been driven back to the northern wastes from day one.

But the story line was fixed, web artwork and design done so it marched along anyway.  If they had gone with the story as the battles pushed it, it would have been a lot better.  It would have also been neat for the end result to have been a severe weakening of chaos as a result of the failure.   :biggriin:

But no.

One neat thing was the Skaven, who were minor bit players, "cheating" to maximize their impact.  (they dominated the stories that were turned in and created their own story).  GW did go along with it and gave them more of an impact than the story would have indicated.  That was a highlight.

I guess the SOC did create the current religious flavor of the empire list.  That is slightly positive.

Also the SOC should have resulted in significant magic items (and heros) to the victor and the permanent death of some losers and the loss of magic items.  But again, that didn't happen.  Archeon should have died, forever, period.
Obama has spent more time playing golf than meeting with Republicans, his Deficit Commission, his Job Council and his Cabinet COMBINED.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2008, 05:45:24 PM »
Part of the problem with the mismatch of good vs. bad was the orcs.  GW intended for the orcs to side with the bad guys and were funnelled into that but the greenskin community didn't like that and they made it their task to bring Archaon to his knees.  So there were some communities that changed stuff, but it's so minor in the grand scheme of things it's kind of crappy.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Draig

• Members
  • Animosity Team GM
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2008, 05:57:00 PM »
Yeah SoC was when Da Warpath really came into its own, getting mentions in the official fluff and getting a huge amount of people involved but the format was so poor and the fluff so twisted to make sure nothing actually happened that could impact the warhammer world it ended up as a joke, and not a very good one. The GW campaigns are great for bringing people in but they really need to follow the Albion format, set it somewhere they can trash, and not worry about keeping everyone happy before they get me as excited as a well run fan campaign.
Animosity GM & Boss of Da Ghostz!
Fluff  | Da Ghostz | Army Blog | Animosity Campaigns

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2008, 06:04:34 PM »
Yeah, and make it not in the middle of the Empire. :wink:

not together.

Offline Draig

• Members
  • Animosity Team GM
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2008, 06:34:01 PM »
I don't know, Storm of Chaos 2 - The invasion of Wissenland has a nice ring to it :D Perhaps annihilation rather than invasion....
Animosity GM & Boss of Da Ghostz!
Fluff  | Da Ghostz | Army Blog | Animosity Campaigns

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2008, 06:34:42 PM »
We can't have that, then the Sollanders might think they can break away. :icon_lol:

not together.

Offline Folken

• Members
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2008, 07:20:54 PM »
The reason the chaos timeline doesn't go into it it, is the action that they lost that way shattered the Chaos gods minds, they refuse to accept it.

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2008, 09:34:59 PM »
I don't know, Storm of Chaos 2 - The invasion of Wissenland has a nice ring to it :D Perhaps annihilation rather than invasion....

One can only pray...

Then Midaski would have to ban Wissenlander for doing a SoC himself by trying to insult us saying that Wissenland still exists.

Unnatural and perverted indeed!
My hood is my castle...

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2008, 10:14:21 PM »
We can't have that, then the Sollanders might think they can break away. :icon_lol:
And don't forget Sudenland. :icon_wink:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Acadian

• Members
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2008, 10:25:33 PM »
here we go again  :-D

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2008, 10:52:00 PM »
The whole idea of good vs evil doesn't work in the warhammer world anyway. Council of light? Lame. If I wanted dragonlance, I'd go play that. If it had a game.

Anyway, if high elves aren't evil, I don't know what is.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline ZehKaiser

• Members
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2008, 11:07:12 PM »
The whole idea of good vs evil doesn't work in the warhammer world anyway. Council of light? Lame. If I wanted dragonlance, I'd go play that. If it had a game.

Dark Elves?

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2008, 11:16:54 PM »
Just because we may lack shoes does not mean we are that easily swept under the rug.  Try as you might, Shadowlord.

not together.

Offline Endgame

• Members
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2008, 11:44:12 PM »

Dark Elves?

Naa, the Dark Elves are just misunderstood.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2008, 11:47:30 PM »
Naa, the Dark Elves are just misunderstood.

Yes, Dark Elves are just into eyeliner and depressing music.

High Elves listen to Celine Dion:icon_eek:
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2008, 12:14:18 AM »
Wouldn't Dark Elves listen to Celine Dion, too?  Technically they are in the land of Canada...

not together.

Offline sniperjolly

• Members
« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2008, 12:42:14 AM »
Technically is such a funny word... Technically they are in an alternate dimention... Technically they are just ideas in GW's heads... Technically that means that they are here too. Including Canada. :icon_rolleyes:
What's up with that Phillyt guy... he's not what I would call '' pleasant''.

Offline Marwynn

• Members
« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2008, 02:42:17 AM »
We Canadians don't exactly listen to Celine Dion. We practically threw her into Las Vegas, so that'd be what? Lizardmen/Druchii contested territory?

Offline Jurgen Offenberg

• Members
« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2008, 05:41:06 PM »
Thats right, I'm Canadian and I don't listen to her.

Any way SOC was a big waste. GW already decided what was going to happen.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2008, 05:50:08 PM »
So now there's two things you can't say to Canadians without some form of resentment:

1) You listen to Celine Dion
2) Your beer sucks.

:wink:

not together.