home

Author Topic: The Ex-Province of SOLLAND  (Read 212253 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: The Province of SOLLAND
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2009, 01:24:09 AM »
Good point regarding Averland, but if you are trying to use an army list from the other era, then you'll find the Averland forces on the Marienburg list and not the Sigmarite list.

I can't recall how De Crux did with his battles that he reported, although some of this might be on the Marienburg website (if you can wade through the various threads of the Alliance :icon_lol:).  I vaguely recall his fluff for CiM, but more recently he had some very good stuff for the A3 campaign. :icon_cool:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2009, 02:46:08 PM »
Wolffy was a Sigmarite, so I think there was a split. 
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Captain Gerntass

• Members
  • For the Emperor, the Empire & Sigmar
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2009, 03:35:04 PM »
I know about Averland being on the Merianberg Alliance list, I'm still trying to work it out.
Long live the Crown of Solland

Offline Captain Gerntass

• Members
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2009, 12:24:11 PM »
Incomeing update:
   As of today the alliance of Sollands crown has gained foreign backing from the Freeholds of Mortensholm & Arkendorf, the Dutchy of Arnalos and the League of Hellenic. All four Princedoms from the Borderlands have recognised our noble cause and vowed to give aid in both military,economic and political actions.
http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii346/Captain-Gerntass/BORDER2b.gif
(I plan to do use them as the Riekland, Nuln and Stirland nationalities in the sigmarite list from CiM)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 12:31:05 PM by Captain Gerntass »

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
Re: The Ex-Province of SOLLAND
« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2009, 01:34:59 AM »
Damn, I really should pay more attention to these boards  :blush:

The de Crux family is an old one, claiming to go back even to the time of Sigmar Himself, certainly they held the lands around Wursterburg before Solland was raised by Gorbad and his Orks that spilled through Black Fire Pass

After that the family fortunes waned, they lost their lands in the greedy land grabbing that saw Solland become Sudenland, going from powerful nobles to merchants and tradesmen.

But always the name of de Crux lived on, the family pride never quite gave up and fathers would tell their children of their birthright as they saw it.

Some sons would carry on as tradesmen or merchants, but others would take up sword and amour either as mercenaries or adventurers after a fortune, always with the goal of reclaiming the family lands.

For centuries this continued, sometimes with success and some small parts of land would be bought, only for later generations to lose them again, other times sons would set off to seek their fortune, never to be seen again, no doubt their lives and quests ending in some dark place in the world.

In 2201 it is noted that Uryens de Crux, named after the sire of the line as all the first sons are, was a captain of a small mercenary force in Marienberg during the siege there in the time of the three Emperors and it seems that since that time the de Crux family have sought their fortunes in either war or adventure, and the Free Company of Solland has been seen on every major campaign since, fighting for one side or the other and, while they are mercenaries, have a reputation for loyalty and dedication to the cause that sometimes even surpasses the nobles that pay them.

Since then some of the family have maintained roots in Wursterburg while other have led a nomadic life around the Empire and beyond as captain of the Free Company.

The family’s latest change of fortunes came recently in 2503 when the Emperor Karl Franz himself granted the latest Uryens de Crux, the title Baron of Wursterburg. No one knows what service was performed to be rewarded this task; Uryens himself says he has sworn an oath of secrecy and will not tell of it.

Now with their lands and titles restored the de Crux family is waxing in power, but still they maintain their interests in mercenary forces with Uryens' son now the captain of the Free Company.

Uryens jnr himself spent his youth with the family tutors in the family home, where the Soll and Hornberg rivers meet. Here he learn the classics, and he learnt how to ride, shoot, hunt and even how to survive in the wild.

By the time he went to university he was a tall, strong and handsome young man and finished his education by studying the finer points of siege craft and gunnery and after a duel or two, the subtleties of politics.

Now, in his mid 20s and already seasoned in battle, albeit a minor skirmish in the Border Princes, he has recently returned with the Free Company from Araby where there were great increases to both the family stock, and with stronger ties with many old allies, including the Marienberg Merchant Council and the Dwarves of Barak Varr.

We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Captain Gerntass

• Members
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2009, 05:03:56 PM »
 :eusa_clap:
Loved the story, and now we grow stronger by the day.

Offline Captain Gerntass

• Members
« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2009, 01:41:37 PM »
Time for an update I think :happy:

The Solland Effort of 2524

"Herr Baron" said the man at arms as he raced up the final flight of steps that led to the top most tower that looked across all the lands surrounding the town of Kruetzhofen, as the man at arms reached the top he found the Baron looking out of one of the stone arched windows, looking out towards the north, deep in thought, oblivious to the cold wintry gales buffeting his thick silvery wolf-skin cloak that covered his entire frame, which by the standard among the southerners' of the Empire was big indeed. He wasn't big like the northerners', no, he didn't even have much muscle or even fat, the baron was tall and thin, but, that was what made him respected, many a duel with upstart nobles had convinced the surrounding nobility not to cross him, he could use a blade that was for sure, for his uncle the late Baron von-Phiefroucher, for whom the Baron was named after had made sure he was well versed with a blade. But what also made the Baron respected was his keen mind. He wasn't a warrior, he had only stepped foot on a single battlefield once and that was to keep the left flank from crumbling against an ork army that was rampaging across the Black Mountains, yes, his uncle had taken a gamble and sent his nephew with many a protests from his advisers' but it had paid off with the left flank holding whilst the heavy cavalry charging the orks flank. It was during that engagement that the boy who was to take his uncles place as the Baron of Kruetzhofen learned his speciality, it was before the final charge of the greenskins that he rallied the men around him and led them in the final charge to hold the orks in place. He had used faints, decoys and traps to keep the orks engaged, well, after that the old Baron new he had chosen his successor well.

It was as the he was reminiscing about his uncle and the good time they had when he was but a young child that he heard a guard calling, "Herr Baron", "Hmm, yes, what is it?" he said with concern in his voice as he turned to receive the message that the guard had come to deliver, "They have arrived my lord" said the man at arms with a little concern on his face. Remembering the day the Baron turned to the window once more and looked down to see six coaches with a small cadre of guards each arrive through the keeps main gate, without a second thought he sped down the tower stairwell with the man at arms in close persuit receiving further orders as they went. As the two reached the main study on the first floor the guard left his lord to follow out his orders to receive the Barons guests', this left the Baron alone for a few minutes to regain his breath and settle his nerves whilst he waited for his guests' to arrive and meet with the Baron within the study, yes, he needed to be calm for he needed his wits for what was to come, for him he was already to far on his path to turn back, but if it didn't go well with the following meeting then that could be the end for him and his family. If he could not succeed with his uncles last wishes then not only could he doom his own family but he could doom the families of over a dozen nobles within the Empire and bring war to the heart of the civilised world from within, especially now they are at war once again with the forces of chaos that march from the northern wastes.
As the guard began to knock at the door the Baron calmed himself and prepared for what was to come, as he permitted entrance, he did so with an Iron will he could not have used since his first battle all those years ago,
"You may enter"

"Welcome lords and ladies. I hope you all had a good trip, so if you would kindly take your seats then we can begin"
"Yes, well let's start this gathering with introductions, many of you know who I am of course but I can see some of you do not, yes,well, I am Baron Nathaniel von-Phiefraucher, all of you knew my uncle, the late Baron von-Phiefraucher, may he rest in peace"
"Right,well let's start with the charming young lady on my right, the Lady Rosalina, sister to the Duke of Arnalos, I take it your brother is still ill dear lady."
"Yes, the physicians tell me he will not survive the winter, unfortunately, with no heir to speak of I am forced to step into my dear brothers place while he slowly fades away"
"I'm sure after the success of this campaign my dear I am sure our two realms will be able to live in peace and prosperity"
"Of caurse"
"Good, good, and now moving on to the ladies right we have the Mayors of Mortensholm and Arkendorf, good to have you both here, following on I see the representatives from the de Crux family, the von-Furstenberg and our sponsors' from Nuln, right shall we proceed, good. After our success at unfoiling the spies of that pig-faced gett von-liebwitz there has been no responce so far from the court in Nuln, nor from her supporters, but my informants tell of plans being made for a full military push once this Raven Host has been dealt with in the north. So far I am able to call forth 500 men of my personal house hold troops, another 300 Auxiliaries from my estates here in Kreutzhofen and from Phieldorf, my cousin from Stirland is happy to loan me 200 men from his house hold troops and 400 militia. I can if needs be contract further mercenaries as and when needed. So when battle is finally joined how many able bodied men are you lady and gentlemen are willing to commit"
"I can send 400 men to reinforce your position here now and then another 600 when Karl-Franze comes for your head, I can also offer you sanctuary if needs be"
"The league offers to send 1100 men at the most for we cannot spare no more due to the increase in raids by the greenskins"
"Mortensholm can spare you 200 men and provide you with timber and ore"
"Arkendorf can't spare the manpower at this time but we can provide food stuff and coin for your coffers"
"Good, it's a start, that only leaves the de Crux's and the von-Furstenberg's, for I am awaiting a reply from our allies in Meissen and a 1000 handgunners' and 4 great cannons from our sponsors' from Nuln. And this leaves me to conclude my friends, now return home and ready your selves because if we strike too soon or too late then that would be the end of us"
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 10:04:16 AM by Captain Gerntass »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2009, 12:24:03 AM »
Graf Heinrich von Furstenberg, lurking in the back just outside the circle of light cast from the burning candle placed in the center of the table, speaks without moving forward, "Hmmm ... I must say an interesting cast of allies we have hear today.  For those of you unaware, I met Baron Phiefraucher through mutual contacts and exchanged brief letters with him a ways back.  I've been hired, along with my mercenary force, by the good Baron to aide with certain guerrilla like activities as needed and approved.  However, I'm informing you all, as I have already mentioned to the the good Baron, that my support is contingent on there being no threat made upon lands currently owned by anyone in Averland.  I will not speak of my number at the moment in the interest of my soldiers' personal security, yet know that I have a decent number of spearsmen, archers, crossbows, handgunners, cavalry with pistols, and some artillery currently in route to this area.  I have also been in touch with a small order of knights, and sent out an emissary to some family friends who reside in Matorea to see what else might be available.  Additionally, during my journey here, I was able to scout out a few areas that might be ripe for targeting once my men arrive.  However, my men wear the black and yellow of our home province, and this could be quite dangerous for us if we present to obvious of a presence.  Thus I have requested of the Baron to be particularly choosy with what he asks of our services.  Beyond this, I will let you know when my forces arrive, and when they are in position for their first attack."
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 08:17:06 PM by GamesPoet »

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2009, 01:11:32 AM »
Uryens the younger took a deep draft from his goblet, taking a moment to consider his words perhaps, before rising.

His skin was a deep, weather tanned colour and his short cropped chestnut hair still bleached by the sun of Araby. His clothing was the height of fashion, a deep, black and silver damasc, his black silk shirt pulled through the slashes in the sleeves, the gold dags on the ties glinting in the candle light.

Were it not for the lean, hard look in his face he would look every inch the foppish courtier, that and the short, heavy katzbalger no courtier would be seen wearing marked him out for a mercenary prince.

"Forgive me, my friends, and I hope I can call you that. But I must ask, for the sake of clarity, and avoiding my fathers wrath, but just what is it you propose to do, and why?"

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Captain Gerntass

• Members
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2009, 01:35:20 PM »
"Thank you dear Graf, for your joyful introduction. As we discussed no harm shall befall your homeland, and as for the security of you and your men, I shall provide new uniforms when they arrive, that should be adequate should it not"
"Hmmm, I should have known it was you dear Uryens, but I was expecting your father to send another associate of his, oh well, I suppose that you are back from your little expedition you would be approved of by your father for something as important as this, and by your little outburst that he has not informed you of the details yet, well, what would you say if I told you that Solland, the land of our ancestors', is on the rise." "After 800 years since the downfall, and the false claims by Wissenland who I might add has done nothing to bring our lands back to anything resembling the honour that was once Solland, NAY, the closest we have ever achieved was the old county of Sudenland to become a separate state, BUT, the Von-Meckelbergs lost that, though I do forgive them because of the reason, no it was my ancestors' fault for not seizing the chance, so now, after many long centuries I am taking steps to restore Solland back into the fold of our glorious Empire, but to achieve our this goal I need help, to bring Solland back I am calling on all close family and friends who are the descendants of Sollands' old nobility. I have also contacted the remnants of Sollands last knightly order to ask for their aid in the campaign to come, I should receive word in two days time of their reply."
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 05:42:40 PM by Captain Gerntass »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2009, 02:13:17 PM »
Now that Uryens is standing, and Baron Pheifraucher is scanning the room for approval, Von Furstenberg nudges de Crux with his elbow, and whispers, "Just a bit ambitious, wouldn't ya say?"

OCC ... new uniforms? :icon_lol:  Clever.  I'm not planning on repainting my Averlanders, but if someone wants to paint some Sollanders for me in an orange and green color scheme I might just provide the miniatures for such a project. :icon_wink:

Yet seriously, you have got me to thinking about creating a unit of Sollanders, maybe some detachments to go along with them.  Might give me a good excuse to create some swordsmen, although I was going to do this for some soldiers from Matorea.  Ah ... more projects for the back of the work bench. :icon_lol:

Also, I've been contemplating what colors to use for my Tileans.  The predominant color is likely going to be green, and I was contemplating using some purple highlights, but perhaps orange could be used instead, and then they good double as Sollanders if need be ... hmmm ...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 03:39:54 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2009, 03:18:38 PM »
"Hardly an outburst, old boy", replied Uryens, his right eyebrow raising slightly. "More just seeking a clarification of what it is you are aiming to do, which, in all honesty you havent stated. We all want Solland to be raised to her former glory, do we not all openly declare ourselves Sollanders? Of course we will give what aid we think best to this cause, but, Sir, what aid would you have from us?

Uryens paused slightly, then continued before anyone could answer the rhetorical question.

"If, as I deduct, you are seeking men under arms to conduct some sort of coup de guerre, as the Bretonians would say, then be plain about it. Let there be no ambiguity of what you wish to try, and what is at stake for any who would take up arms in this cause.

As you are aware, I am only recently returned home and I am a little out of touch with the political and military lie of the land, so please, in terms that a humble warrior for the working day such as myself might understand, tells us why's and wherefores of our situation"

Uryens looked round to Von Furstenberg and whispers "Ad captandum vulgus"

OOC
Just got some new knights too :D
Sollander order of Knights eh, any ideas anyone?

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Captain Gerntass

• Members
« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2009, 03:47:02 PM »
Knightly Order ? I was considering the Knights of the Southern Sword that was in the RuneFang book.

(story continues)
"My appologies, with the current situation we, especialy me, needs to be carefull, spies have already infiltrated the caurse once, as for this coupe as you call it, it is mainly to strengthen our forces here in Old Solland, gain support from the peasantry and/or the rest of the old Solland nobility. So yes, I am asking how many men and or material you and your father are willing to raise for this most noble of caurses. For if we can gain enough strength to disuade the Emperor from sending his army against us and recognise our independance, then he will have no choice but to recognise the incompetance of the lady von-Liebwitz if she can't even take care of her own lands.
"Please gentlemen, if you have something to say we are all ears for the only mob here lies within the court at Nuln, now please, you may go for I have other matters to discuss with lord de Crux and sir Von Furstenberg"
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 01:16:36 PM by Captain Gerntass »

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2009, 04:04:08 PM »
No man, not the Emperor nor the Arch Lector, nor Ar-Ulric can tell a man he cannot defend his holdings, and so of course we will support the mutual defence of our lands, as is the nobless oblige

OOC - Not seen the Runefang book, got any details about them, or are they in the Wiki?

Also, I am not convinced that the map of Solland is anything like big enough, mainly the whole Black Fire Pass issue, I will try to photoshop my ideas on it this week.

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Captain Gerntass

• Members
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2009, 04:21:05 PM »
Walking into his private study with the two youths in close pursuit-
"Please gentlemen sit, help yourselves to some brandy, finest from Bretonia, or if it's to your liking some vodka imported from Kislev"
"Uryen, I was going to give this to the reprasentative to give to your father but as you are here there is no one better to recieve this and to pass judgement for the De Crux's" so von-Phiefroucher hands the young Uryen a roll of parchment "It states that you or your father are to command a third of all mercenaries that I hire to reinforce your families holdings' as a good will gesture. The same goes to you Furstenberg to reinforce your own forces and to lead to protect your family if you have to retreat if things should turn for the worse, but remember gentlemen I do not take kindly to double crossing for my vengance is swift, honour and trust a firm family trait, so I am trusting that to hold this alliance together"
"Now you may go when you are ready, if you would like to stay for dinner then you are always welcome, I think our chef is trying out a new brettonian cuisine tonight"

(The Knights of the Southern Sword were red full-plate with a pitch black surcoat with a golden sword threaded onto the left breast, the horses barding is also painted red with a black cloth coming from under neath.
The map only shows the central and western parts of Solland, the eastern half would be all parts taken by Averland, including the BlackFire Pass.)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 01:17:27 PM by Captain Gerntass »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2009, 08:41:06 PM »
"Thank you good Baron, quite a gracious gesture, and yet, hmmm ... how do I express this ... it could be best if for now that I just work with the soldiers that are currently on their way, and in this way, a smaller force might be able to work more effectively, with both speed and stealth, despite our small numbers.  Perhaps such forces that are being placed under my command, these can be held in reserve, perhaps even permitted to be used by other Sollanders who might join your cause, particularly if there are some early successes?  As long as you provide the coin that we spoke of previously, and Averland itself is not threatened, then during this upcoming year, my loyalty and that of my troops will stand firm.  Beyond that, there will need to be an additional agreement approved."

Almost picked up a copy of "Runefang" today, but was actually looking for "Heldenhammer" to read first.  I'm wondering if it is wise to start with the latter, before reading the former.

Was the color scheme for that order of knights actually described in Runefang, and are they associated with Solland?

And what is this about Black Fire Pass being part of Solland?  It is my understanding that Averland has consistently been involved with it's protection, even as far back as the time of Sigmar.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 08:18:26 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline Captain Gerntass

• Members
« Reply #91 on: January 27, 2009, 10:59:19 PM »
(In the book RuneFang it describes a bit of there past and also describes what they look like in the beginning of the book. As for the BlackFire pass issue I have seen in equall amounts many sources about the Pass being part of Solland/always being part of Averland, so thats a difficult one to actually prove, so I left it out of the map.)

"Very well sir Heinrich, I see every part the tactician that your reputation sugests, ofcourse you would have a far better insight into the actual tactics of war then I, for I have only taken part in battle on only 3 ocasions" von-Phiefroucher starts to chuckle at his on tactical mistake "But that is why I contacted you and young Uryens here dear friend, two of the most sucsessful free-captains to have been born within the lands of our lord Sigmar, at such young ages aswell" "But it matters not, I will station them here at Kreutzhofen where they can help speed up the process of shoring up the defences, but remember, they are here as reserves for when needed, at a moments notice they will march to your aid when needed" "Now then, dinner should be another 3 hours away and I would like to seem busy inspecting the defences before the lady Rosalina discovers me and tries to persuade me to marry her again, If she weren't an old friend of my uncle I wouldn't have invited her ..................but I have to admit she does have her charms"  and with that the baron places his glass of vodka down and walks out into the crisp cold wintery day to begin the inspection of the outer defences.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 10:00:52 AM by Captain Gerntass »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2009, 04:05:29 AM »
"Well, Uryens, it seems the older chap trusts us quite a bit.  We can toast our last sips to both of our future successes.  May we earn our coin swiftly and surely, and with as little loss to our forces as possible."  After a slight tapping of the glasses, and a swallowing of their last gulps, Heinrich von Furstenberg rises, and before turning to leave says, "I'm staying at Ragnar's Staple & Horn.  The food and lodging is reasonable, and both are good.  I've gotten to know Ragnar, a former hunting guide, and he's introduced me to his son Bael, who has learned his father's previous trade.  I've hired Bael to act as a scout for me and my men.  He and I are off tomorrow morning early, but you are welcome to join us for breakfast before we depart?"

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2009, 01:53:14 PM »
Thank you, I may well lodge their myself tonight as I have not yet established where my bed will be tonight, and breaking fast with you would be logical as I indend to try the local hunting at first light.

As for the old man, time will tell I suppose.

I will report to my Father in the next couple of days, and seek his approval on this scheme.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 03:30:11 PM by Uryens de Crux »

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Captain Gerntass

• Members
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2009, 04:21:11 PM »
As the first sun started to make it's first attempts to break the wintery early morning, two figures could be seen strolling along the northern battlements of the Kruetzhofen keep "Impresive, I wouldn't have thought the defences could be considered ready this soon dear cousin" said Captain Gerntass looking out towards the many trenches and staked ditches that surounded the newly erected palisades that protected Kruetzhofen.
"Yes, I have to admit they are impresive but they would never hold out to a healthy bombardment, but hopefully they never will" nathaniel contemplated.
As they passed onto the east battlements they spied two youths exiting the Staple & Horn, "so what do you think about our young friends'"
 "Uryens, well we served together in Araby for a while, as long as the caurse stays strong and we remember who we are he will be with us, he's a strong leader and trust worthy",
"As for the Averlander, I can't really say, but from what I hear he's very patriotic, he may be a mercanary but he loves his homeland"
"Good, good, I have high hopes for them. So cousin, what news of the rest of your men"
"They will be arriving by the end of the week, I also managed to convince my father to loan me 2 spear companies and a company of Iron Skulls that he had stationed at the family estates"
"I suppose he didn't do it out of the kindness of his heart did he"
"Ha ha ha ha, You should know him by now my dear cousin, as long as he doesn't have to pay he will permit you to loan his men"
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 09:59:38 AM by Captain Gerntass »

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #95 on: February 04, 2009, 04:37:18 PM »
Deep in the woods Uryens the younger led his small hunting party at breakneck speed down the animal trails, somewhere in the distance a tuneful blast from a hunting horn could be heard and, spurring his courser on he steered towards it.

Within minutes he burst into a clearing, reining his horse in hard, his two companions, bodyguards in reality, followed close by.

Stood in the middle of a clearing was another, similar party, but where Uryens the younger was a foppishly, richly dressed huntsman the figure in the centre of the clearing was clearly older, more weather beaten and wearing very simple, tough clothes, though of the best quality.

The old man looked up, Uryens the younger saw he was missing his left eye, and his face was a mask of swirling tattooed scars.

“Boy, you make enough noise to bring an entire beastman warband on us!”

“Father, I am playing a role you set me, nothing more.”
Uryens the younger replied.

“Well see that’s all it is, disaster strikes when complacency is highest. Anyway, what did von-Phiefraucher want?”

“The same thing we all want really father, to see Solland back on the map of the Empire and its Elector back in the palaces of Altdorf. He might be able to do it this time too, from first look he has plenty of support in terms of men and money and the political situation is as good as it has ever been…”

“Yes, quite.”
Snapped the old man. “What does he want and what does he offer? To be said elector no doubt!”

“Possibly, though he is offering to send us troops to command as we see fit, all he wants is that we defend each other when the time comes, no real attacks planned yet it seems.”

“Interesting. And of the others involved? How do they strike you?”

“Solid enough father, solid commanders and patriots no doubt.”

“Interesting. Have them come to Wursterburg; I am sure you can invent a suitable cover story. We will see their mettle there. Now come, prove to me you can avoid sounding like a hoard of drunken Reiksguard.”

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2009, 12:36:40 AM »
Current cast of characters for "The Solland Effort of 2524" ...

Sollanders
Baron Nathaniel von Phiefraucher
Captain Gerntass, cousin to the Baron, from Stirland
Uryens de Crux, Senior and Junior

Border Prince Allies
Lady Rosalina, the new Duchess of Arnalos
Mayor of Mortensholm
Mayor of Arkendorf

Mercenaries
Graf Heinrich von Furstenberg

Others with currently undisclosed leadership
Nuln sponsors
The Hellenic League
Meissen contacts

(There could be others, if they dare join on for the cause. :icon_wink:)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 02:16:53 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #97 on: February 11, 2009, 12:41:37 PM »
(A small narative to pass the time, hope you enjoy it.)

The Baron de Crux and his son rode north along the main road towards Wursterburg, their breath hung heavy on the cold air of a later winter’s morning, the hooves of their horses crunching in the powder snow that had fallen overnight onto the highway.

Both were silent as they drunk in the sights, smells and sounds of their homeland, surely nothing was so beautiful as this land, low rolling hills to the east, patches of woodland shrouded in mist to the west, the Soll broadening as it turned north, all under a pristine blanket of snow.

Ahead the rooftops of Wursterburg itself were visible, the tiled roofs heavy with snow, thin lines of grey smoke winding into the sky from the chimneys and ahead on the road could be seen the blocky tollgate, a muddy smudge on the road.

In the outskirts of the town a work party was busy pacing backwards and forwards in the snow, measuring the distance between sticks held by cold looking labourers. The Baron knew this would be Captain Japt, the company’s master of siege works, plotting out the planned defences. Uryens smiled to see these surveyors were being watched by a pair of ravens perched on a nearby tree, it seemed fitting somehow that the animal of their family crest were overseeing this work.

Passing the tollbooth the two riders were given friendly welcomes and salutes from the militiamen huddled round the brazier, they were old men, but the Baron knew them all to be veterans of at least one campaign he had led them on, solid, dependable and brave Sollanders all.

Turning off the road, the two riders pushed their horses through the snow, following a track that skirted round the town and that would lead them to coppiced woodland on the north east side of the town

It was hard going, and bitterly cold, but the two men wanted the peace this route granted rather than the hubbub of the town.

By the time the small patch of woodland came into view it was nearly midday but the pale sun was still low on the horizon, but its weak light shone brightly off the snowy fields and made strange shadows between the trees and the deep snow drifts as the riders entered the woodland.

Through the tress though could be seen the roof and chimneys of a large, stone built house, obscured by high walls almost invisible in the snow thanks to their whitewashed render, the only thing to mark them out was the small birds hopping backwards and forwards on the top of the walls.

A sentry at the gate spied the riders and shouted a challenge and readied his halberd. At the reply from the Baron, the guard lowered his weapon and answered, “Welcome home my lord”

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #98 on: February 11, 2009, 05:28:04 PM »
(I've been working on a brief piece for the last week, and hope to complete it for posting soon.)

Offline Captain Gerntass

• Members
« Reply #99 on: February 11, 2009, 07:41:10 PM »
Quietly sipping ale at the bar at the Staple & Horn, Captain Gerntass couldn't help but think about the future, of how uncertain it could be. He knew how high the stakes were, he knew that nothing was ever certain, no matter how well planned, nothing was certain.
Glancing round the tavern he could see his fellow comrades, the men who had fought many battles with him, veterans all. Each one enjoying the peace before the storm, each catching his gaze and nodding their respect or raising their steins, from old Bert, the oldest of the lot yet still able to match any warrior half his age, to Franz the youngest, barely 18 summers old yet all new his skill with twin sabres. Yes, all veterans, especially after the tight business they were in a year ago when they had to fight the undead legions in the heart of Araby, and then the inevitable retreat from that accursed hell.
As he swept his gaze over the low lit room for the final time his and every ones attention was drawn to the tavern door as a newcomer entered, letting in a strong cold breeze from the snow storm gathering its strength for night to come.
All eyes watched as the messanger strode over to the Captain to deliver his message; after a quick brief look the Captain stood up and raised his stein: " Comrades, friends, the rest of the lads will be here on the morrow so drink well, rest and enjoy yourselves for we begin work the day after."
With that he took a deep drain of his ale and smiled quietly to himself as every single one of his lads stood and raised their own steins to their Captain.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 07:53:43 PM by Midaski »