home

Author Topic: 401st Moisin/Nagant rifles with allies  (Read 2478 times)

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• intres cum fixura sine misericordia
401st Moisin/Nagant rifles with allies
« on: May 13, 2009, 07:27:32 AM »
Moltovan rifles with allies – Comrades and sisters.

HQ 1: Commands squad 401 Moisin Rifles, 3rd Company
Captain Midaski, plasma pistol. Standard bearer, lascannon team, 2 Bodyguards & Master of Ordnance Total: 185
Midaski is a hardbitten but popular commander, presently commanding the remants of the 3rd company

HQ 2 (Allied): Canoness Deborah
Rosarius, power weapon, Bolter-Flamer, Lithanies of Faith & Cloak of St. Aspira Total: 135
Deborah is Canoness of the Hereditary Ecclesiarch Garrison on Moltova, that is charged with ensuring that the Heresy of Glorious Mankind never return to haunt Moltova. Her forces are also used to reinforce Moltovan guard regiments on important missions.

Elite 1: Celestian squad Mirjam
Veteran superior with with Enviscerator and book of st. Lucius. Squad with frag grenades, Meltaguns and Heavy flamer. Simulacrum Imperialis Total: 222
The closest retainers of the Canoness

Troops 1: Platoon Frunze (Remants)- Veterans squad
Sgt Frunze with Power sword. Heavy bolter, Sniper rifle, grenade launcher & Plasma rifle. Doctrine: Forward sentries Total: 145
The companys best stealthers

Troops 2: Platoon Malkov(Remants)- Veteran squad
Sgt Malkov with power fist. Lasblasters(shotguns), 2 melta guns & heavy flamer. Doctrines: Demolition Total: 155
The remains of the assault platoon

Troops 3: Close protection Platoon Karelin (Remants)-Veteran squad
Lasguns and Doctrine: Demolition Total: 100
Whatīs left of the close protection half-platoon. Lightly armed but packing meltabombs and explosives (Lassprayer squad)

Troops 4: Battle Sister squad Elena
Vet. Superior Elena with Enviscerator and plasma pistol, 2 storm bolters & frag grenades Total: 180
The squads task is to deliver small arms fire support and hold ground, but are prepared to counterattack if necessary

Troops 5: Battle Sister Squad Sarahi
Vet. Superior Sarahi with Bolter-Melta and power mace. Melta gun, heavy flamer & fragsTotal: 177
This squad follows the Celestians into the assault

Fast Attack 1: Seraphim squad Magdalena
Vet. Superior Magdalena with powersword & Book of St. Lucius. Two Seraphims with twin handflamers. Meltabombs Total: 195
The angels of absolution

Army Total: 1494
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline orcyboy

Re: 401st Moisin/Nagant rifles with allies
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 01:51:43 PM »
I'm intrigued by the title, does this mean you are going to proxy WWII or WWI Russians as Imperial Guard?

Offline Mathi Alfblut

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 02:22:04 PM »
Nope. It means my guardsmen are inspired by the russian army, mostly from WWII.

And this is the second time I have used a name for a Rifle on my IG.

My last IG army, traded away to my son, was the 303rd Enfield rifles, inspired by WWI brits.

Offline orcyboy

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 02:45:49 PM »
That's cool.  Any plans of modeling the guardsman to look more like Russkies?

I've got a bunch of WWII Soviets I had fancied converting to Imperial Guard, then I remembered I hate 40k and scrapped the idea.

Offline Finlay

• C'mon Son
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 02:48:52 PM »
Tanks are obviously going to trouble you, with meltas your only response.

I also think the choice of weapons on the first vet squad is a bit odd!
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 03:13:05 PM »
Itīs based on the weaponry aviable, mostly. And itīs for fluff sake.

And mind you, I got a lascannon tucked in with the HQ squad. :icon_wink:
Not that much,  but this is an army under works. Buy putting the forces together like this, I get a larger playable force that will at least be useful in Cities of Death.

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
  • Summer has arrived! : )
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 03:31:56 PM »
With what I understand as there needing to be a lot of figures to have an IG army, modeling it after the WWII Russians might be good. :icon_cool:

Got me to wonder if there was a decent way to model an IG army after the WWII Germans, and then I'd need less figures, which might cause me to reconsider having ruled out the IG for an initial 40K army. :icon_idea:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Mathi Alfblut

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 03:48:45 PM »
Why not?

At first I planned on fiddling with their helmets, but I droped it since it was too much work for to little gain to get a more russian look. I will therefore stick to the use of colourscheme to make them more russian.

However, I am thinking of making the "lasblasters" who at the moment are simply lasguns with the foremost barrell removed, by giving them a bulkier powerpack, somehow, inspired by the classic russian PPSh 1941 submachinegun!  :icon_mrgreen:
Shame there are no rules for tankriders in 40K, cause the russians, and the germans to made extensive use of this mode of infantry transportation. The russians where the ones using it most extensively, due to lack of enough APC:s. The germans where not that well supplied either, but had more of the halftracks than the russians, who imported US M3 halftracks that where mostly put to use in armoured recon formations.

However, these armoured recon units where pretty nasty, since they where not just recce, but did long penteration raids, going for the rear areas of the germans, blocking crossroads and such, ahead of the russian advance. They contained mobile artillery, halftrack mounted infantry, tanks and cavalry, that the russian used extensively for long range raids, and that fought as mounted infantry.

I have one idea about styling the army along the lines of these fast moving russian units, adding some armour and some rough riders to the mix!  :icon_mrgreen:

The more heavily assault oriented russian armoured units made extensive use of tankriders. These infantrymens where formed from the most aggressive and downright fearless men, forming battalions of 500 men each, and attaching them to tank units for direct infantry support. Due to lack of suitable APC:s, the russian solution was simple. Weld handles onto the tanks and ride on the back of them! It was a really dangerous way of going into combat, so you need a mad bunch to do the job. These grenadiers where completley armed with the dreaded PPSh 1941 submachinegun and light machineguns.

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 04:06:33 PM »
Well, I suppose for having a German color scheme, that would be different then the menagerie of green uniforms I often see.  But as far as a small build of limited numbers, I suppose I would need to seriously review the IG codex to see if there was a way to give them a German feel with limited numbers.  Perhaps making it more tank based with some limited infantry support could do the trick, although I'm more an infantry fan than tank guy, but heck, it would ceratinly be different.  I could even imagine kitbashing a few tanks to look more like the WWII German varieties.  So maybe.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Mathi Alfblut

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 07:59:54 PM »
Dude, you are one of those persons that are still fooled about the german army of WWII. The image of the germans being a heavily armoured and mechanized force is plain wrong. It was the image they wanted to flash and it was the image of armoured might that their enemies bought as explanation to their successes.
But 90% of the german army, for the whole war, was foot infantry and horsedrawn artillery!

They did not even have trucks enough for their infantry! But the german soldiers where very well trained and the basic premise was that every man should be able to act on their own initiative if needed. This was what really made them so great, NOT their armour.
The armoured forces just fitted very well with the germans aggressive doctrine and decentralized command structure. But the basics for german military thinking was the same as when Von Clausewitz wrote "Von Kriege".
A decentralized command structure where officers where expected to be able to act on their own initiative and use their judgement when the situation demanded that they put their orders aside and looked at the big picture. Reaction speed was key to german military thinking and waiting for orders about what to do was not go for ensuring a rapid mobile battle that they wanted.

Hence, even the normal infantry division could by this advance and react swiftly to changing circumstances. The same principles that was used for the succesful Sturmtruppens from WWI was still applied, albeit armour and aircrafts added another dimension too it.
But still, the majority of the german army was footsloggers!
The archetypical german soldier was "Der landser", the common infantryman, and they did most of the fighting, especially in the east as the panzer spearheads where to spread out.

The thing allied soldiers remembered was the Tiger tanks and the 88mm cannons. But the true strength, and what most of the times threw spammers in the works for even the best laid plans where a bunch of dirty landsers seeing an opportunity and acting upon it.
For example a corporal and three mates took out 5 british tanks on one occasion, when they realized the tanks had left their infantry support behind. And many times a succesful attack had just taken a german position, a sudden counterattack would be launched from a nearby position without further ado.
The sooner you acted the better, was the german motto, and the best chance for repulsing an attack is to counterattack before the enemy have managed to get organized for further advance or settled themselves in the occupied position.

So if you want to be the regular panzer fanboy, who still thinks it was all about the tanks and panzergrenadiers, sure, go ahead, but know that it is not an untreaded path at all. If you wanna do something that is more like "the real" german army, showing the Wermacht landsers and his artillery support, I say you should choose another path.

I therefore suggest you make a company with one platoon, supported by some veteran squads, to show the exellent training and ability to act on their own initiative and operate independently. Mortars, Antitank guns etc...
But sure, have a tank or two, for support.

Offline t12161991

• Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 08:10:31 PM »
Need I mention the cavalry they (still) used?
Grutch:  Careful, someone I know on a forum I visit works for Sony.  He says they aren't to be trusted.

Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 08:26:51 PM »
But 90% of the german army, for the whole war, was foot infantry and horsedrawn artillery!

That leaves a whole other 10% to model an army after, though. :wink:
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Fandir Nightshade

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 08:39:12 PM »
Dude, you are one of those persons that are still fooled about the german army of WWII. The image of the germans being a heavily armoured and mechanized force is plain wrong. It was the image they wanted to flash and it was the image of armoured might that their enemies bought as explanation to their successes.

They did not even have trucks enough for their infantry! But the german soldiers where very well trained and the basic premise was that every man should be able to act on their own initiative if needed. This was what really made them so great, NOT their armour.
The armoured forces just fitted very well with the germans aggressive doctrine and decentralized command structure. But the basics for german military thinking was the same as when Von Clausewitz wrote "Von Kriege".
A decentralized command structure where officers where expected to be able to act on their own initiative and use their judgement when the situation demanded that they put their orders aside and looked at the big picture. Reaction speed was key to german military thinking and waiting for orders about what to do was not go for ensuring a rapid mobile battle that they wanted.

Hence, even the normal infantry division could by this advance and react swiftly to changing circumstances. The same principles that was used for the succesful Sturmtruppens from WWI was still applied, albeit armour and aircrafts added another dimension too it.
But still, the majority of the german army was footsloggers!
The archetypical german soldier was "Der landser", the common infantryman, and they did most of the fighting, especially in the east as the panzer spearheads where to spread out.

The thing allied soldiers remembered was the Tiger tanks and the 88mm cannons. But the true strength, and what most of the times threw spammers in the works for even the best laid plans where a bunch of dirty landsers seeing an opportunity and acting upon it.
For example a corporal and three mates took out 5 british tanks on one occasion, when they realized the tanks had left their infantry support behind. And many times a succesful attack had just taken a german position, a sudden counterattack would be launched from a nearby position without further ado.
The sooner you acted the better, was the german motto, and the best chance for repulsing an attack is to counterattack before the enemy have managed to get organized for further advance or settled themselves in the occupied position.

So if you want to be the regular panzer fanboy, who still thinks it was all about the tanks and panzergrenadiers, sure, go ahead, but know that it is not an untreaded path at all. If you wanna do something that is more like "the real" german army, showing the Wermacht landsers and his artillery support, I say you should choose another path.

I therefore suggest you make a company with one platoon, supported by some veteran squads, to show the exellent training and ability to act on their own initiative and operate independently. Mortars, Antitank guns etc...

Bahhh support just drop in  loads of young recruits as the volkssturm units with only some remnants of veterans so you would also have a kind of "real" german army....

Or you go Diving Eagles, Airborne for the win 6 Valkyries and all infantry as airborne units.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 08:58:33 PM »
True Fandir.

Wissenlander, that 10% have been done as theme more often than you can probably imagine. It is sort of an overdone theme, methinks. :icon_wink:

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 09:00:58 PM »
You are probably right.  But it's the imagery of the ultra elite that really attracts people.  That or the ultra under dog.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Finlay

• C'mon Son
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2009, 09:04:27 PM »
Well, I suppose for having a German color scheme, that would be different then the menagerie of green uniforms I often see.  But as far as a small build of limited numbers, I suppose I would need to seriously review the IG codex to see if there was a way to give them a German feel with limited numbers.  Perhaps making it more tank based with some limited infantry support could do the trick, although I'm more an infantry fan than tank guy, but heck, it would ceratinly be different.  I could even imagine kitbashing a few tanks to look more like the WWII German varieties.  So maybe.
you can make that easily by having a few vet squads and lots of tanks.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2009, 09:09:12 PM »
Mathi, my dear, I beg to differ with you.  I'd suggest going back and rereading what I wrote.  Sorry it triggered this kind of response, but I feel as if you are lumping me into a group of people you have issue with, and projecting their views on to me.

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2009, 09:12:28 PM »

Mathi ... and here again, this shows there is more to learn about my views and knowledge than what the presumptions are that are being made here. :icon_wink:

Offline McKnight

• Its the No. of posts that make you a veteran-gamer
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2009, 09:40:02 PM »
Panzers rocked.... and panzer grenadiers... and fallschirmjaegers

screw the others :P
"Me? I'm practically perfect in every way!"- Rufas the eccentric.
Rufas had Two Ton Sally. I have Silicon Sally!
EuroBashes attended: 1

Offline orcyboy

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2009, 10:00:36 PM »
Panzers rocked.... and panzer grenadiers... and fallschirmjaegers

screw the others :P

Haha!  My sentiments exactly!

Offline MrDWhitey

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2009, 10:17:44 PM »
I need people who play 28mm scale WW2 near me. I just got 72 german troopers from renegade.  :icon_sad:
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2009, 10:11:52 AM »
I would get a solid troop of Landsers and screw you all over with solid german tactical initiative and training.

Why are people ALWAYS so worked up and fashinated by some small elite part of the armies? Why is that so damn interesting?  :icon_evil:
I find it much more interesting to study the examples of how the supposed common soldiers many times prevailed over the so-called elites and whipped their buttski! But not other wargamers, nooo....

Offline MrDWhitey

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 10:28:51 AM »
It's called opinions. Other people are allowed to like other things.  :icon_rolleyes:

My army for WW2 was going to have a single vehicle to like 70 german soldiers.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2009, 01:03:12 PM »
Well... you know :icon_redface:... my temper gets the better of me at times... :unsure:

Here you treadheads, have a pint on my tab will you?  :::cheers:::

And that sounds like an awesome army, MrDWhitey!

It would quite fun if you do the non-typical "WWII german themed force" with loads of Landsers, and I do the non-typical "WWII russian combined arms shock force" and then in the far future we meet up and engage in bloody Ostfront combat!  :icon_mrgreen:

Offline MrDWhitey

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2009, 01:07:31 PM »
Few mortars, lots of MG34s and 42's, some Stg44 users, lots of riflemen and some MP40s. And a Tiger Tank.  :engel:

All going to be based on 2 pence coins, except the mortars of course.  :icon_mrgreen: