The Empire at War ... The Gamers Guild > The Battleground

Battle of Egredy Inn 1999pts Illustrated Bat Rep [DoW vs Dw]

<< < (3/3)

GamesPoet:
As before, great job Padre. :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

From the Ex-Province of Solland thread ...

--- Quote from: GamesPoet on July 12, 2009, 12:22:10 PM ---
--- Quote from: Padre on July 12, 2009, 08:43:09 AM ---Game notes:

Short battle, this, for me. Not against Uryens, but a player who's more used to Dark Elves of all things, though has commanded DoW in campaigns on several occasions. Maybe the shortness was because we had no magic? I forgot to include it in the army lists, but then decided it seemed fine.
--- End quote ---
Dark Elves?  Hmmm ... I'm surprised the crossbows weren't on the board immediately.  This might have improved the situation, particularly since they are "move or shoot".  In other words, they are out of the action off board for the first turn, and then they have to move on the second turn to get in range, perhaps.  Instead maybe setting up before the game starts, moving on the first turn and then getting off an initial shot on turn two.  Or shooting from turn one immediately if they were clearly in range of the dwarf shooters.

--- Quote ---I thought it would be unfair (if fluffy) that the Black Company would have no artillery, being a quick moving column, against such a strongly missile army - which is why I made the terrain so cluttered and gave them three units of horse and one of skirmishers. Terrain and mobility favoured them, guns favouring the dwarfs. Not only was such terrain appropriate for the area, but would give the vastly quicker Black Company troops plenty of cover if they were clever enough to use it.

They weren't!
--- End quote ---
Instead they seemed to move directly down the main alleys and got pummeled.

--- Quote ---Admittedly they avoided the fire of the organ gun, no mean feat, even though I couldn't find a good place to put it. But once again (this player has done it before and I have told him at length I don't think it's a good way to proceed) the Black Company divided their strength, and arrived before the bullets, balls and bolts in little packets to be butchered in turn. The three Horse units could have come hurtling around the left side of the inn and out-flanked the dwarf line, forcing the rearguard to deploy there and thus blocking the missile troops' line of fire. On the other flank they could have deployed a long screen of crossbowmen (they had 28 all told) and thus kept the dwarfen missile troops busy. Meanwhile the massed foot could come down the centre hopefully to take on the dwarfs justr as the horse were weakening. Well, that's what I would have done.
--- End quote ---
I agree.

--- Quote ---At the start I thought the Black Co were odds on, and was itching to command them, but I wanted the other player to command troops he was used to, rather than dwarves who he has bever commanded.
--- End quote ---
Padre, you are a good guy to do this.

I really like the looks of this scenario.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version