home

Author Topic: Mordheim campaign log  (Read 18417 times)

Offline rufus sparkfire

• Global Moderator
Mordheim campaign log
« on: September 30, 2009, 12:57:13 AM »
Today, I played the first game of a new campaign - in fact, my first Mordheim campaign.

This was my starting witch hunter warband:

Witch hunter captain with mace and pistol
Warrior priest with hammer and staff (Sigmar's Hammer prayer)
Witch hunter with crossbow and mace
Witch hunter with mace
Witch hunter with mace
Four flagellants with flails
Three warhounds

The first game was against the undead, in a 'chance encounter' scenario. The undead had a vampire, necromancer, three dregs, two ghouls, and eight zombies.

The undead chose to deploy first, grouping together near the centre.

The lone crossbowman caught the necromancer with a lucky shot, but only knocked him down.

The vampire moved to threaten the crossbowman, but the witch hunters decided to try to mob the vampire. Two dogs and the crossbow witch hunter charged him. But, they failed to achieve anything, and were soon counter-charged by ghouls. Before long, only one dog remained.

The last dog charged in against a ghoul, while all the other members of the witch hunter band charged into combat. None of them did especially well.

By this time, the witch hunters were forced to take a rout test, which they passed. After for accounting for a few zombies and a dreg, the undead were also forced to test. They too passed.

But the witch hunters continued to perform badly, losing their captain to a zombie attack. When the time came, they routed voluntarily.

The undead had lost three zombies, one ghoul and a dreg. The witch hunters had lost their captain, two hunters, two flagellants and three dogs. Worse was to come: two dogs, one flagellant, and the crossbow witch hunter were all permanently dead.

I think I played very badly in this game. I'm not sure why I had the flagellants charge individual zombies instead of having them gang up.

So, I had sixty-five gold from the game, but had lost significantly more than that. The next game is tomorrow, against Marienburgers. I have hired a new witch hunter and two dogs, but can't replace the flagellant yet.

Witch hunter captain with mace and pistol
Warrior priest with hammer and staff (Sigmar's Hammer prayer)
Witch hunter with two maces (and +1 toughness)
Witch hunter with two maces
Witch hunter with two maces
Three flagellants with flails
Three warhounds

Also, my priest has gained a new skill. Should I take a skill or a prayer? If a skill, which one?
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline t12161991

• Let's Go Blue!
Re: Mordheim campaign log
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 02:18:16 AM »
Don't the unit boxes make handy buildings? I know that's why mine are still around...
Grutch:  Careful, someone I know on a forum I visit works for Sony.  He says they aren't to be trusted.

Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline Von Kurst

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 05:03:03 AM »
Crazy.  Replied on Tom's.
“Why is the rum always gone?” -Captain Jack Sparrow
"It is, it is a glorious thing To be a Pirate King."
 -Gilbert, Sir W(illiam) S(chwenck)

Offline Fandir Nightshade

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 08:39:36 AM »
Rufus give us more!

I need a little mordheim fix and you are a great dealer!  :::cheers:::

Witch hunters is one of the higher difficulty level bands so I wish you luck. Try to get those lucky charms as soon as you can, also ´try to get that hand crossbow for your leader.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 09:55:10 AM »
Hopefully the boxes will be replaced by proper buildings at some point. I wish I'd bought the boxed Mordheim game when it was still available.

Also, I wish I'd known the witch hunters were tricky to use well. I could have used undead instead. Or Reikland or something. Hopefully, I'll do OK in the next game, and will then have some money to spend on something other than replacing dead gang members.

I should have voluntarily routed, but I just couldn't let the undead win. Even though they did. You'd think being the only person with a painted warband would give me some kind of karmic advantage...
If I wanted to.

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 10:08:04 AM »
Karma is evil! I have had the biggest success with unpainted armies/warbands.

I did exceptionally well with Marienburgers as I used three guys with duell pistol pairs right from the start and they are pretty lethal. Shooting is pretty strong in the beginning so some crossbows might serve you well...even if you don´t knock the enemies out you slow them if you fill them with lead, arrows and bolts.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 11:15:13 AM »
I did consider Marienburgers, but I never got around to painting them.

I had one crossbow, but the guy died and I lost it. I can't afford any more! Yet.

Here's a picture of my current line up, including two new dogs and a new witch hunter.

Down to eleven members!
If I wanted to.

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 11:16:54 AM »
How many players in your campaign?

Offline Gneisenau

• Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 11:19:55 AM »
Very nice, rufus! :eusa_clap: Though your camera-fu doesn't match your painting-fu.

Human Mordheim models = best GW product line ever. I have a sort of Pokemon-mentality when it comes to those.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 11:24:40 AM »
Though your camera-fu doesn't match your painting-fu.

How dare you! No, you're right actually.

Quote from: Fandir Nightshade
How many players in your campaign?

Six, including me. Will it last? Will it trail off after a few weeks? We don't know...

The other warbands are skaven, undead, Marienburg, possessed, and orcs.
If I wanted to.

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 11:25:01 AM »
Hmmmm trying to revive mordheim here in Karlsruhe....but should I play a dwarven warband or my Marienburgers again....those dwarves seem nasty overpowered.

Offline Gneisenau

• Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 11:30:52 AM »
I think they have some starting problems though, since they only get four heroes in the beginning.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 11:32:38 AM »
Dwarfs are expensive too! you don't get many for your five hundred gold.
If I wanted to.

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 11:38:34 AM »
Hmmm so you think nobody would mind a dwarven expedition? I could steal...pardon borrow some dwarves from my woman.

As there is no official HE list I think dwarves would be a new challenge, looking at the warband sheet right now.

Noble, Engineer and two slayers would come at 235 gp, 2 clansmen and 2 thunderers would be 335 gp. not much money left for equipment especially if I want to get a gromril armour for the thain.

hmmmmm but their profile is awesome and the treasurehunter skill and exceptional miner could grant some extra income quite fast. A pity they can´t take the elven scout mercenary.

It might even be smart to run the first couple of games...but it would be so undwarfish.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 11:42:00 AM by Fandir Nightshade »

Offline rufus sparkfire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 11:42:28 AM »
I just looked at their rules PDF. Toughness 4 + 'hard to kill' = awesome!

What with the mining skill as well, they probably become very powerful quite quickly. Gromril armour is too expensive to take at the start though.
If I wanted to.

Offline Gneisenau

• Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 11:51:07 AM »
And the dwarven axe is the single most badass weapon in Mordheim. Dual-wield it with that one special skill of theirs (forgot the name, allows for double-parry), and you've got one dangerous dwarf.

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2009, 11:55:31 AM »
I don´t know a dwarven noble with gromril armour shield and dwarven axe would be some force to reckon with 3+ armour save with T 4 is not bad especially as most enemies have no high S weapons in the beginning he would eat half the points of the band but could go toe to toe with nearly everything...if he dies though I would need to restart the band

Hmmm

noble with gromril armour, shield, dwarven ax, dagger would be at 180 gp

engineer pistol, hammer, dagger would be 68 gp

slayer, dwarven ax, dagger 65
slayer dwarven ax dagger 65

2 thunderers with pistols, daggers 130 gp

would be 488 gp

but I should stop deranging your campaign log thread...I think you did a great report though and I hope to see more battles coming up.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2009, 12:00:25 PM »
The dwarf noble is awesome just as he is. He can buy that other stuff later!

I think starting with only six warband members is a bad plan, no matter how good they are. Some scenarios would be almost impossible to win. So get as many dwarfs as you can.

I should stop deranging your campaign log thread.

I don't mind. It makes me look more popular than I really am.
If I wanted to.

Offline Von Kurst

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2009, 12:20:57 PM »
@Fandir--When playing Mordheim, leave the armor at home.

@Rufus--Leave winning a scenario until later in the campaign.  At the beginning its best to concentrate on survival and development. Sacrifice the brave hounds until one of those Flagellants becomes a hero and then make the smug bastards pay.

Dwarfs--kill them fast or they grow.  Hate to face Dwarfs.  The most broken 'official' warband.
“Why is the rum always gone?” -Captain Jack Sparrow
"It is, it is a glorious thing To be a Pirate King."
 -Gilbert, Sir W(illiam) S(chwenck)

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2009, 01:24:10 PM »

I don't mind. It makes me look more popular than I really am.

Only Philly and Shadowlord pick on you all the time...and well that IS their way of showing how much they love you.

I think you are one of the most popular people on this forum.....

Well so how about this:

Noble  , dwarven axe, hammer, dagger 103 gp

engineer, pistol, dagger 65

slayer with dwarven axe , dagger 65
slayer with dwarven axe, dagger 65

2 clansmen with hammer, dagger 86

4 beardlings with hammer, dagger 112

496 gp

10 dwarves...hmm all of them have T 4

Kurst I have found a shadow warriors list, is it official? It looks extremely broken, even more than the dwarves.

Offline Gneisenau

• Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2009, 01:28:32 PM »
Perhaps I've misunderstood that part of the Mordheim rules, but IIRC if you give your henchmen different equipment, they will form different units. Sucks when they die (experience is lost), but increases your chances for a "the lads' got talent"-roll to boost your low number of heroes.

So, perhaps some variation in the equipment of the clansmen and the beardlings?

Offline rufus sparkfire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2009, 01:30:45 PM »
I'm not an expert, but I know that the shadow warriors list was removed by GW for being unbalanced and out of theme. They are certainly not official!

That dwarf list looks pretty good to me!

Quote from: Von Kurst
Leave winning a scenario until later in the campaign.  At the beginning its best to concentrate on survival and development. Sacrifice the brave hounds until one of those Flagellants becomes a hero and then make the smug bastards pay.

Not only did I want to win, but I wanted to destroy the undead abomination! I think I had a fair shot on the vampire, and I nearly killed the necromancer twice. But my captain has learned his lesson, and will be more cautious in future.

Quote from: Gneisenau
if you give your henchmen different equipment, they will form different units.

You can give them the same equipment and still have them in different groups.

If I wanted to.

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2009, 01:37:35 PM »

I'm not an expert, but I know that the shadow warriors list was removed by GW for being unbalanced and out of theme. They are certainly not official!

That dwarf list looks pretty good to me!
So dwarves it will be, and if they fail miserably I will go back to my marienburgers duellpistoliers.

Not only did I want to win, but I wanted to destroy the undead abomination! I think I had a fair shot on the vampire, and I nearly killed the necromancer twice.

I think you have the right warband with those witch hunters!

But my captain has learned his lesson, and will be more cautious in future

Because his best buddy is running around as a zombie?

You can give them the same equipment and still have them in different groups.

Hmm well I think than it would be best to split the two clansmen into 2 groups because I don´t want no beardling that has talent.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2009, 03:02:55 PM »
Because his best buddy is running around as a zombie?

Fortunately, the necromancer didn't have that spell! He had the one that makes him cause fear, or something.

I have now named my characters, which I suspect will make them significantly more awesome.
If I wanted to.

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2009, 03:05:47 PM »
yes it will!

As soon I named my one youngster Franz he started to kick the crap out of the possessed demon "Schlangengott" (it was the old keeper of secrets model cowface with four arms).

Every time the two bands met they fought it out, Franz even broke his hip once reducing his movement and after that he never was the same again. Well Franz on the other hand got scary scars out of it...and after some smacks on his head he also was frenzied.

I would suppose as this is your campaign log introduce your characters