home

Author Topic: American Civil War  (Read 20599 times)

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
Re: American Civil War
« Reply #150 on: October 26, 2009, 09:03:58 PM »
as I said, such a tragic figure.  I wonder what happened to him after the war.  he kinda disappears in the history books after the surrender.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #151 on: October 26, 2009, 09:05:09 PM »
Ooh, I read it as 1875. Weird.
I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #152 on: October 26, 2009, 09:42:25 PM »
He died a few years after the war, in 1870.  President Andrew Johnson said he wasn't liable for treason, so I think that's where the confusion may have come from.  He became president of Washington and Lee college, that was about the biggest thing he did that I can recall.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline jlutin

• Members
  • In Development Now
« Reply #153 on: October 27, 2009, 01:33:25 AM »
Lee's ancestral home, sitting on a hill overlooking Washington DC was taken and turned into a military cemetery and his home a hospital.  Arlington.
Obama has spent more time playing golf than meeting with Republicans, his Deficit Commission, his Job Council and his Cabinet COMBINED.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #154 on: October 27, 2009, 01:55:03 AM »
Lee's ancestral home, sitting on a hill overlooking Washington DC was taken and turned into a military cemetery and his home a hospital.  Arlington.

yup, but thats just his property.  Also if you ever visit DC, totally check out the arlington cemetery.  Do other countries have military, government run, cemeteries?
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #155 on: October 27, 2009, 01:59:05 AM »
Feck loads in france.

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #156 on: October 27, 2009, 02:04:01 AM »
Even more in Russia.
Grutch:  Careful, someone I know on a forum I visit works for Sony.  He says they aren't to be trusted.

Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #157 on: October 27, 2009, 03:58:26 AM »
He was a very tragic figure! He had taken the oath to defend his nation, but his heart rested with his home state. And he proved to be more than excellent as a general, though he was an engineer during the Mexican War and had never led troops before. The man was a genius... Easily one of the greatest generals of American History and probably the most well-known... :engel:
-The General

Lee was a staff officer during the Mexican War, he saw combat and received a commendation for bravery.  His actions had a direct impact on several engagements. After serving as commander of West Point, he commanded cavalry in Texas against the Comanche.  He and Stuart are the officers in direct command of the troops who capture John Brown at Harper's Ferry.
“Why is the rum always gone?” -Captain Jack Sparrow
"It is, it is a glorious thing To be a Pirate King."
 -Gilbert, Sir W(illiam) S(chwenck)

Offline Gustavus Magnus

• Members
« Reply #158 on: October 27, 2009, 05:33:29 AM »
Lee was a good army general and while I won't argue that he might be one of the most famous, I'm not sure where he would rank overall.  It is a bit pointless, though, to try to compile comparative lists as each general had completely different armies and circumstances.

I do think that Lee was a decent man and did the best he could for a cause that he did not completely support, which is very much like a protagonist in a Greek tragedy.  I have wondered if the reason why his offensive campaigns in the north were not his best because he had a conflict of conscience. Defending Virginia was easy but launching an attack against his the country he had sworn an oath to protect was difficult.
Gustavus Magnus, of Bögenhafen; Mercenary Captain, Explorer, Spy, Scout, and Outrider.

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #159 on: October 27, 2009, 05:48:34 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

I think more than a few Southerners might have faced that dilemna.
Grutch:  Careful, someone I know on a forum I visit works for Sony.  He says they aren't to be trusted.

Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline Union General

• Members
  • Kicking butt since 1863.
« Reply #160 on: October 27, 2009, 09:10:17 PM »
Lee was a good army general and while I won't argue that he might be one of the most famous, I'm not sure where he would rank overall.  It is a bit pointless, though, to try to compile comparative lists as each general had completely different armies and circumstances.

I do think that Lee was a decent man and did the best he could for a cause that he did not completely support, which is very much like a protagonist in a Greek tragedy.  I have wondered if the reason why his offensive campaigns in the north were not his best because he had a conflict of conscience. Defending Virginia was easy but launching an attack against his the country he had sworn an oath to protect was difficult.

He invaded Maryland, where he ended at Antietam, primarily for two reasons....

1. He believed that he could sway the Confederate sympathy present in the State.

2. He saw Marylanders as similar to Virginians like himself.  :happy:

He invaded the North a second time to demoralize the Union with a victory on Northern soil.

-The General
I like your thinking  Mr. General  what a Genius

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #161 on: October 27, 2009, 11:01:18 PM »
Having an army's worth of men stationed in the state had a fair amount to do with that. :icon_smile:

Bringing this over here:

The Conferates may have won the field/woods at Chancellorsville, but I'm sure Lee would have traded a dozen losses for Stonewall Jackson if he could have done so.

Probably true.  Tying in with the Lutzen thread, do you see Chancellorsville as a loss because of the loss of Jackson?

not together.

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #162 on: October 27, 2009, 11:03:05 PM »
An overall strategic loss, yes for sure. A tactical loss for that campaign, not so much.

Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline Union General

• Members
« Reply #163 on: October 27, 2009, 11:17:10 PM »
An overall strategic loss, yes for sure. A tactical loss for that campaign, not so much.

Well, it got Hooker out of command of the Army of the Potomac...  :biggriin:

-The General

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #164 on: October 27, 2009, 11:32:57 PM »
And the guy who followed him was just so much better...

Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline Union General

• Members
« Reply #165 on: October 27, 2009, 11:38:49 PM »
And the guy who followed him was just so much better...

Meade?!? He was actually competent!  :closed-eyes:

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #166 on: October 27, 2009, 11:40:36 PM »
Well most of the Union Generals *cough* were quite dire.

Offline Union General

• Members
« Reply #167 on: October 27, 2009, 11:43:44 PM »
Well most of the Union Generals *cough* were quite dire.

READY!
AIM!
FIRE!
*Opens volley into Inart's screen*
 :icon_mrgreen:

Anyways......
We had far better generals in the Western theater, but Meade was a decent general. Anyone who says otherwise is free to voice their opinion....

-The General

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #168 on: October 27, 2009, 11:47:20 PM »
Oh Sherman Sherman Sherman Sherman! :eusa_clap:
― Jake the Dog

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #169 on: October 28, 2009, 12:43:22 AM »
Oh it was Meade? I thought it was Hooker for some reason...

Yes, Meade was at the least competent, if not great.

Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline jlutin

• Members
  • In Development Now
« Reply #170 on: October 28, 2009, 03:19:25 AM »
One of the problems in the East was too many generals.  The troops were very close to DC and you had endless trains of Congressmen and Senators who tried to "help" run the war.

I think that Lee was clearly the best general of the war (at least on defence) and he has some good generals under him.  But beyond that, the North had far more (numbers) capable men.  It just took a while to identify them and get them in the battle against Lee.
Obama has spent more time playing golf than meeting with Republicans, his Deficit Commission, his Job Council and his Cabinet COMBINED.

Offline Big Time

• Members
  • Resident alcoholist
« Reply #171 on: October 28, 2009, 05:52:51 AM »
Ironically, if I remember correctly (far too lazy to google it right now), Arlington National Cemetary is built on his land, seized after the war. If so, it is both awesome and tragic.

Lee was a great leader, but I think his subordinates deserve a shout out.

Longstreet was unfairly maligned after the war for criticizing Lee, but his criticism was deserved. Longstreet was also a forward-thinking genius of defensive warfare.

Lee has gotten a lot of credit for Jackson's early war action, also. If Jackson hadn't been capped by his own boys, the war would have had a much different tune.

I'm not trying to discredit Lee, just trying to point out that he had some great help.
Work is the curse of the drinking classes.
-Oscar Wilde

Offline Gustavus Magnus

• Members
« Reply #172 on: October 28, 2009, 06:31:51 AM »
I think Longstreet was a very good general and likely would have done well in Lee's place.  Lee was good and he had some very capable generals below him.  It took the North a couple of years to weed out the incompetent ones.  Well, most of them.

Chancellorsville clearly was a tactical victory for the South.  However, the loss of Jackson was tremendous, especially just prior to the the invasion of Pennsylvania.  If Jackson had been at Gettysburg, then he might have been able to succeed where Longstreet wasn't able; to convince Lee not to launch an assault against the Union Center on the 3rd day.  He also might have pushed his troops harder on the days proceeding the battle and likely wouldn't have been as sluggish as Dick Ewell, which could have ended the battle before the 3rd day.
Gustavus Magnus, of Bögenhafen; Mercenary Captain, Explorer, Spy, Scout, and Outrider.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #173 on: October 28, 2009, 12:17:50 PM »
I'm in agreement with everything on this page, so there's no need for me to reiterate it.

The Lee estate was captured early on as the beginning of the buffer around DC.  For his treasonous acts against the Union, someone saw it fitting that Union soldiers be buried there.  Don't remember the year, though.

not together.

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #174 on: October 28, 2009, 01:30:23 PM »
I have a lecture on Lee's High Command it's quite good and quite interesting.

Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2