home

Author Topic: The 40K Abbreviations Thread  (Read 12303 times)

Offline Irisado

• Members
  • Retired Amethyst Wizard Lord
The 40K Abbreviations Thread
« on: December 29, 2011, 11:36:08 AM »
Are you new to 40K?  Do you find all the abbreviations which experienced 40K players use confusing?  Do you wish that there was some way to find the answers?  Well, when you have a problem and no Fantasy player can help, you can call the 40K abbreviation explanation team  :icon_biggrin:!

Putting that dramatic introduction to one side, this thread is for collecting commonly used abbreviations in 40K.  If you have any which I have missed, and there are probably loads, as I don't use many abbreviations myself, please let me know.

40K Abbreviations (in alphabetical order):

ATSKNF = And They Shall Know No Fear
BA = Blood Angel
BT = Black Templar
CSM = Chaos Space Marine
C:SM = Codex Space Marines
CWE = Craftworld Eldar
DA = Dark Angel
DAVU = Dire Avenger Vehicle Upgrade
DE = Dark Eldar
DS = Deep Striking/Deep Strike
FNP = Feel No Pain
GEQ = Guardsman Equivalent
GtG = Go to Ground
IC = Independent Character
JotWW = Jaws of the World Wolf
KP = Kill point
MEQ = Marine Equivalent
MTC = Move Through Cover
PoMS = Power of the Machine Spirit
RoW = Runes of Warding
RoWit = Runes of Witnessing
SW = Space Wolf
TEQ = Terminator Equivalent
TL = Twin-Linked
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 12:05:53 PM by Irisado »
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
Re: The 40K Abbreviations Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 11:46:46 AM »
HA!  I have always wondered what MEQ was supposed to mean but was too lazy to look it up!  Thank you Irisado!
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
  • A mind without purpose walks in dark places
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 01:43:21 PM »
Well I use PW and PF for power weapon and power fist.  Unsure how common those are though!
Stare into the Abyss and the Abyss stares back.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 02:27:04 PM »
Thanks. I'm an experienced 40K player, but some of those are new to me, especially the *EQ ones. I had an idea of what you were talking about in the Eldar thread, just couldn't figure out what they actually meant. The problem with this Acronym thread, is that unless a mod makes it a sticky thread, it's going to quickly fade away.

It's much better to use the full version of your Acronyms on first use (i.e. Marine Equivalent (MEQ)), especially in a thread like the Eldar one where you are going to be using them a lot. Even if this thread gets stickied, it's still better to spell them out on first use. Call me lazy if you want, but it's a standard I learned a long time ago for documents where high numbers of Acronyms will be used.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 02:29:10 PM by Delthos »
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 02:47:09 PM »
The one thing I never understood was the need for TEQ or GEQ.  Apart from terminators, there is nothing that is equivelent to one!  So TEQ is totally redundant.
GEQ is even more pointless to me.  If you are saying a unit is good v GEQ you are generally saying the unit is poor and it can only kill the weakest units in the game.  At least that is what I read into GEQ  :icon_biggrin:

None of these are the fault of Irisado, he has just explained the general terms in use, but they annoy me!

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 02:54:15 PM »
but they annoy me!

Me too. They are all unnecessary.

Though they aren't quite annoying as the various 40K buzz words.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 05:57:11 PM »
blob!
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline Irisado

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 06:00:45 PM »
Several points to make.

I think that this would be a useful sticky, so when Rufus has finished complaining about abbreviations, perhaps he could use his global moderator powers and sticky it (hint, hint  :icon_biggrin:).

As for using abbreviations, I don't like a lot of them, but MEQ, GEQ, and TEQ are commonly used across every 40K forum, so it's important to know what they are for.  I take the point about introducing them early in the Eldar Guide, but the reason is that you may have players who are new to the Eldar, but not new to 40K, and it's a fine line between helping complete beginners, and patronising 40K players who are new to playing Eldar.  For that reason, I'm going to leave things as they are from an abbreviations point of view.

A note about TEQs.  Basically, this covers anything with a 2+ save, so it's relevant to a lot more than Terminators.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 06:08:16 PM »
I stickied it.  rufus doesn't like things randomly.  Abbreviations are the flavor of the day.  They must be silly!
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 04:16:49 AM »
Several points to make.

I think that this would be a useful sticky, so when Rufus has finished complaining about abbreviations, perhaps he could use his global moderator powers and sticky it (hint, hint  :icon_biggrin:).

As for using abbreviations, I don't like a lot of them, but MEQ, GEQ, and TEQ are commonly used across every 40K forum, so it's important to know what they are for.  I take the point about introducing them early in the Eldar Guide, but the reason is that you may have players who are new to the Eldar, but not new to 40K, and it's a fine line between helping complete beginners, and patronising 40K players who are new to playing Eldar.  For that reason, I'm going to leave things as they are from an abbreviations point of view.

A note about TEQs.  Basically, this covers anything with a 2+ save, so it's relevant to a lot more than Terminators.

I don't think anyone would feel patronized if you define them once the first time you use them. I know I've never felt patronized by anything that does that.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 10:51:03 PM »
This is a good idea! :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 01:30:00 PM »
I thought TEQ was 2+/5++ ?
At least that is what I consider to be terminator equivelent, so maybe I have had this wrong!  In which case, thanks Irisado!  :-D
Here are a couple more I have heard/read recently, if you want to add them.

KP = Kill point
DS = Deep Striking
JotWW = Jaws of the World Wolf

Offline Irisado

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 08:36:20 PM »
TEQ can also include the invulnerable save part as well, so it's more of a loose definition than either MEQ or GEQ, in my view anyway.  It's also used less frequently.

I've added the others to the opening post.  Thanks for pointing them out.

Offline Paladin Commander

• Members
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 10:56:24 AM »
Some that I use when i'm short writing a list are:

m/b=melta bombs
M/L=Missile launcher
G/L=grenade launcher
M/G=melta gun
H/B=Heavy bolter
X/A=extra armour
p/w=power weapon
p/f=power fist

Offline Irisado

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 06:04:28 PM »
I'm not going to include those, because they are just personal shorthand, rather than widely used abbreviations.