home

Author Topic: [OT] Ranking up Salamanders  (Read 1578 times)

Offline Visu

[OT] Ranking up Salamanders
« on: June 03, 2004, 11:12:42 PM »
If a Salamander hunting pack is engaged in Close Combat, how does it rank up?  Do the Salamanders go in the front rank, or do the Skinks?  Or do you just put the closest to the enemy in the front, with mixed ranks?
I know this isn't an Empire question, but I don't know where else to go.  Feel free to lock this thread, Mods, if in your ineffable wisdom you see fit.
-Visu

Offline JackInTheGreen

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2004, 12:17:48 AM »
By the book, you must maximise models, since they are skirmishers.

In the spirit of the game, it should be clear that the Salamanders should be the only models to enter combat as long as there are enough left.

I played the Oslo Gt with 2x3 Salamanders a fortnight a go, and only one player objected...strangely he also played Lizardmen, but was a true powergamer.

JitG
Have you seen the Jack in the Green?

~ Jethro Tull

Offline Grutch

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2004, 12:53:44 AM »
Hmm not empire specific.

I wonder if we will see more posts like this because of the death of the WPS forums.

-Grutch

Offline JackInTheGreen

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2004, 12:55:03 AM »
Quote from: Grutch
Hmm not empire specific.

I wonder if we will see more posts like this because of the death of the WPS forums.

-Grutch

Probably...maybe this forum needs a General WFB discussion?

QUEEK?

JitG
Have you seen the Jack in the Green?

~ Jethro Tull

Offline Karl Schimmelfennig

• Servant of the Slann
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2004, 01:05:05 AM »
It's a good suggestion. The Lizardman forum has one forum for Lizardman related material, and one for every other type of warhammer post. This can be 40K, Fantasy, Mordheim etc.

Works pretty well, because to be honest, a lot of people have more than one army and it's good to be able to discuss anything and everything on the one website.
Famous Quotes from History:

"To beat the French."

The Iron Duke summarises his battle plan at Waterloo.

Offline queek

• The Old Ones
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2004, 01:43:37 AM »
Grutch has already mentioned that he doesn't want a general WFB forum.  It's his site, I just sweep up around the corners.   :wink:

the issue of Salamander packs and ranking up is still an open question, and an oft-debated one at that.

by the rules as written, maximizing skinks is probably best supported.

treating them as handled monsters (ie Sallies in first if charged from the front) has some rules support, and makes more sense to me.  (for what that is worth.)

Moving the skirmishing unit into combat in order of closest model at a time solves the situational problem, but doesn't have the rules support of the other two options.

talk it out with your opponent, and hope that the long-awaited GavT charging article sheds some light on the subject.

Offline Visu

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2004, 01:47:04 AM »
Again, I'm sorry to have brought this up, but I didn't know where else to turn.  Feel free to mace this.  I meant no harm.
-Visu

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2004, 03:07:57 AM »
Moving the skirmishing unit into combat in order of closest model at a time solves the situational problem, but doesn't have the rules support of the other two options.

This one seems the most logical and does have some diagram support in the book.  To me the Lizardmen book is poorly written compared to some of the others.  This should have been resolved a long time ago.  Maximizing skinks is how it "should" be by the rules, but makes little sense, when compared to the "handled" monster rules.  That is why the quote above seems to be a fair compromise and makes the most sense.
"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do no let your heart rejoice"

• Servant of the Slann
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2004, 05:02:52 AM »
Quote from: Atchman

This one seems the most logical and does have some diagram support in the book.  To me the Lizardmen book is poorly written compared to some of the others.  This should have been resolved a long time ago.  Maximizing skinks is how it "should" be by the rules, but makes little sense, when compared to the "handled" monster rules.  That is why the quote above seems to be a fair compromise and makes the most sense.

That's exactly how I play it. From the front, all the Salamanders get into combat. From the rear (it's never happened, but just in case) all the skinks rank up and the Salamanders in the second rank.

So on and so forth. It's one of those tricky issues with no real clarification.

"To beat the French."

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2004, 01:28:35 PM »
Dang!  Karl and I are starting to agree on stuff!  Karl, I might send you a draft of my new Anti-Lizard article for you to critique.  It would be very good to have another opinion.  I think sending the Skaven stuff to Queek, made that article a lot stronger.
"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do no let your heart rejoice"

Offline Clarkarias

• Sarnia, Ontario
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2004, 02:32:06 PM »
I thought this was clearified in a recent errata.

Is there nothing about this on TPV?
Actually, forget Karl-Franz. I want rules for Thyrus Gorman on a dragon. - Rufus Sparkfire

Offline queek

• The Old Ones
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2004, 02:32:42 PM »
not to my knowledge, Clarkarias.

Offline Clarkarias

• Sarnia, Ontario
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2004, 02:43:39 PM »
This topic has been up for debate for quite some time.  I'm surprised an official ruling hasn't come out yet.
Actually, forget Karl-Franz. I want rules for Thyrus Gorman on a dragon. - Rufus Sparkfire

• Servant of the Slann
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2004, 03:05:19 PM »
Dang!  Karl and I are starting to agree on stuff!  Karl, I might send you a draft of my new Anti-Lizard article for you to critique.  It would be very good to have another opinion.  I think sending the Skaven stuff to Queek, made that article a lot stronger.

Atch, I'd be more than happy to have a look at it. I do a lot of proofreading for my college assignments, so being able to read something that I enjoy would be a welcome change.

Send it to s4008754@student.uq.edu.au and I'll happily read through it.

"To beat the French."

Offline Kaz

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2004, 04:25:40 PM »

If you would like it, I could look it through too, karl seems to be missing my style with lizards completely.. If you want me to have a look at it, you know my mail.
It is better to be silent and have people think you're stupid, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

• Servant of the Slann
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2004, 09:39:24 PM »
Hey, if you like, we can always post it for you over on TPV 2 and let people pick through it.

I know I have a vastly different style of play from Kaz, who has a vastly different style of play from Ordrek, who has a etc etc....

"To beat the French."