home

Author Topic: 13 Provinces?  (Read 13028 times)

Offline Headbanger

• Members
13 Provinces?
« on: July 30, 2010, 03:42:00 AM »
So I've counted 13 provinces. Averland, Talabecland, Wissenland, Nordland, Middenland, Hochland, Ostermark, Ostland, Reikland, Stirland, Drakwald, Solland and Sylvania. I've also heard that there are only 12 runefangs... Are one of these provinces non existent or is it a GW fault in the fluff?  :-o
"And when you look long and hard into the abyss... The abyss also looks into you"

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re: 13 Provinces?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 03:49:16 AM »
Some of these provinces no longer exist, or did not warrant an electoral vote.

The last 3 specifically have undergone the most change, as well as Nordland, Stirland and Wissenland to accomodate them.

I'm sure others can break down in a bit more detail for you...
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Otaku

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 04:26:51 AM »
The drakwald was split up long ago and no longer exists. Solland was overrun and destroyed by Orcs. It was Incorporated into Wissenland. Sylvania was taken over by vampires but is technically part of Stirland now. As for the Runefangs, all the electors have one, Kurt Helborg has the Solland Runefang, the other extra sword is in the Imperial vaults.

Offline Spiney

• Members
  • Merchant Prince of Marienburg
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 10:42:34 AM »
Here are the 12 Provinces which have (or had) runefangs, along with the names of the swords. Note that Drakwald and Solland are destroyed, Solland's runefang was recovered from the body Gorbad Ironclaw and is now kept at Altdorf in the gift of the Emperor to sundry worthy Imperial Champion, the same is presumably true of the drakwald runefang, note that one of these is currently carried by Kurt Helborg (Solland?).

Also its worth mentioning that the Province of Nordland didn't exist at the time the Runefangs were made, so in all probability the Nordland Runefang was originally the Westerland Runefang, the province of Westerland (now called the wasteland on maps) ceased to exist after the secession of Marienburg from the Empire. The Count of Nordland's claim on Marienburg may in fact be based on the fact that he carries the old westerland runefang (speculation).

Sylvania also did not have a runefang because it was not part of the Empire when they were forged, but rather was conquered later.

Rumours that the Stirland Runefang has in fact been sold to Araby to provide new shoes for the elector count may or may not be exaggerated  :icon_lol:

Runefang of Averland - Mothers Ruin
Runefang of Hochland - Goblin Bane
Runefang of Middenland - Legbiter
Runefang of Nordland - Crow Feeder
Runefang of Ostland - Brain Wounder
Runefang of Ostermark - Troll Cleaver
Runefang of Reikland - Dragon Tooth
Runefang of Stirland - Orc Hewer
Runefang of Talabecland - Stone Breaker
Runefang of Wissenland - Blood Bringer
Runefang of Drakwald - Beast Slayer
Runefang of Solland - Grudge Settler
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 10:55:08 AM by Spiney »

Brain wounder: for when you don't want to kill your enemies, just leave them bedridden and pissing themselves.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 10:50:07 AM »
I definitely think the runefangs would be better without ridiculous names. Where on earth did those come from?

Quote from: Spiney
Sylvania also did not have a runefang because it was not part of the Empire when they were forged, but rather was conquered later.

Plus it's never been an electoral province.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Spiney

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 10:56:53 AM »
I definitely think the runefangs would be better without ridiculous names. Where on earth did those come from?

found on Lexicanum, not sure on an official source. Most of them are at least passable, except of course for "brain wounder", thats got to be the worst weapon name in history.

Brain wounder: for when you don't want to kill your enemies, just leave them bedridden and pissing themselves.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 10:58:25 AM »
'Mother's Ruin?' 'Legbiter?' They sound like names for terrible beer.

No thanks!
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Spiney

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 11:20:19 AM »
Most weapons in Fantasy setting have similarly unimaginative names, they just get nicely disguised by translating them into fictional languages, from LotR "Guthwine" = "battle friend" in rohirric, "Orcrist" and "Glamdring" are "Goblin cleaver" and "Foe hammer" respectively, or, even worse, from the Eragon series "Zar'roc" which means "Misery" and "Brisingr", which means "Fire".

Perhaps translating those names into middle german would make them more acceptable

Offline draven

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 11:23:52 AM »

Not sure if the Runefangs where named before but there was an article in issue 325 of white dwarf that named them.
For solland

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 11:26:21 AM »
Ah, one of the 'new' WDs. Figures.

The Reikland one isn't that bad I reckon.
I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 11:56:22 AM »
Legbiter, brainwounder? Common you got to be kidding me.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 12:02:11 PM »
"Orcrist" and "Glamdring" are "Goblin cleaver" and "Foe hammer" respectively,

I don't think those are too bad. I'd rather have "foe hammer" than "brain wounder."

"Leg biter" sounds like a gnoblar runefang.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 12:04:03 PM »

:biggriin:

"Leg biter" sounds like a gnoblar runefang.

try perhaps it was actually forged for the moot.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 12:05:15 PM »
Most weapons in Fantasy setting have similarly unimaginative names, they just get nicely disguised by translating them into fictional languages, from LotR "Guthwine" = "battle friend" in rohirric, "Orcrist" and "Glamdring" are "Goblin cleaver" and "Foe hammer" respectively, or, even worse, from the Eragon series "Zar'roc" which means "Misery" and "Brisingr", which means "Fire".

Perhaps translating those names into middle german would make them more acceptable

Of all the names though I read a fanasty once that had a swords called Widowmaker and Foesbane.   Still that is kinda off point.   And wounding your foes is so much better, then somebody has to pay for their upkeep, drain on their resources

Offline draven

• Members
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 01:05:54 PM »

i wouldn't say 325 is a new issue, was printed over 3 years ago, still i agree only a couple of the names seem ok. (the Averland and Nordland names respectively).
For solland

Offline Merrick

• Members
  • I say!
    • http://www.facebook.com/WinHereWinThereWinWinEverywhere
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2010, 01:15:48 PM »
I believe they're named in the current Empire army book.

Can't be bothered to check if WD325 was after the book.

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2010, 01:21:27 PM »

i wouldn't say 325 is a new issue, was printed over 3 years ago, still i agree only a couple of the names seem ok. (the Averland and Nordland names respectively).

Anything after 300 is 'new'.
I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Offline draven

• Members
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2010, 01:29:57 PM »

[/quote]

Fair do's,
For solland

Offline Spiney

• Members
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2010, 01:35:53 PM »

Sigged, its a long time since a forum post made me cry with laughter  :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2010, 01:46:28 PM »

Especially for those of us who (vaguely) remember WD66.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2010, 02:10:56 PM »
Stone Breaker isn't bad, but it sounds like a hammer.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline draven

• Members
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2010, 02:38:11 PM »

Especially for those of us who (vaguely) remember WD66.

:Ohmy: making ourselves sound really old here lol, the earlyest issue i have is WD 92, i did see a WD 2 a few months ago but didn't have a spare £25 to buy it :(
For solland

Offline Merrick

• Members
  • I say!
    • http://www.facebook.com/WinHereWinThereWinWinEverywhere
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2010, 02:57:45 PM »
I thought Mother's Ruin was a pet name for Shadowlord.

Offline Spiney

• Members
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2010, 03:00:19 PM »
I've held a subscription since WD184, but I have a few sporadic issues from before that time. I also bought an issue 50-something on ebay a year or so back because i wanted the Man O war content, it also had a sweet batrep between chaos dwarfs and HE...

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2010, 03:16:13 PM »
Stone Breaker isn't bad, but it sounds like a hammer.

Makes me think of the Books of Swords...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve_Swords_of_Power

(OK, it's Stone Cutter -- close enough.)

I thought Mother's Ruin was a pet name for Shadowlord.

:eusa_clap: