The Empire at War ... The Gamers Guild > Empire 8th Army Book

8th edition - Empire Army Book

(1/4) > >>

Warlord:
Hi all,

I know we had a bunch of threads for the Empire army book in the 8th edition, however a lot of them were tied down in the 7th edition rule shortcomings.

As such, I have un-stickied them, and I imagine the time will come soon when more Warhammer Games have been played, when we can then discuss the tweaks and modifications we would like to see for the Empire in 8th.

Shield of Freedom:
You're right.

Considering the changes that 8th edition has made to the game, the Empire has really gotten a boost.  Between the magic lores, Halberdiers being "fixed", and the new power found in Greatswordsmen I really can't complain.  Most of the book is pretty solid.

So, here are my suggestions for what subtle changes I would like to see in the new book.

First off, believe it or not but our state troops are a bit over priced.  Compare a Skaven Clanrat to them.  A Clanrat has one better movement, one better initiative, and a special rule that allows them to pretty much overcome their "deficiency" in Ld... in some cases it makes it better than an Empire army can even field.

State troops deserve a point drop across the board (not counting Handgunners and Crossbowmen, which seem pretty good for their points).  A Clanrat WITH a shield and spear is one point less than an Empire Spearman with a shield.... not cool.

Mortars... well, I'll be honest... seeing them INCREASE to between 80 and 100 points would not suprise me, and I wouldn't complain.  They're just TOO good now.  I haven't seen an army (including mine) amongst the 4 regulars that play Empire (which includes me) that don't field AT LEAST two of the things with an engineer nearby.

Knights are a bit pricey, maybe 20 points per model would be more appropriate.   Something that has always bothered me is that Swordsmen are I4 as a core State Troop but the elite of the Empire, the Knights and the Greatswordsmen, are only I3... something is wrong there.  So, let's make them I4.  2 points per model for S4 (Inner Circle) and making the unit as such still makes them a Special choice instead of core.  Don't limit the number of Inner Circle units though.

Some additions I think would be neat are:
Halfling units of archers.  BS4 archers with Shortbows and feigned flight!
Ogres... but not as units.  Have them be unit upgrades that must be placed as centraly as possible in the second rank of any melee state troop unit that buys one.  35 points with a hand weapon.  Can be given a great weapon for 5 points more.  It would work like Kroxigors in Skink units but only ONE can be taken regardless of the size of the unit.  Would be pretty neat to see Ogres in the Empire again and being recruited into state troop units!  I would imagine that Free Company can have two... and Greatswords cannot have any (no one wants to see Ogres in the elite guard, but odd ones might show up for militia muster).

How about those guys?

badpixie:
The new Empire Book will be redesigned to:

1) Force you to redesign your army so that you need too buy new GW figures, and

2) Achieve nothing else.

mr chumley warner:
I'm drinking Port.

In my opinion , they need to bring in Halfling's .

A horde of 50 for 3 pts each, with short bows or spears !

Corryn:
where in the rulebook is the ward save for infantry with armor and shield mentioned? Alot of players mention it but I can't find it anywhere.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version