home

Author Topic: Gamer thread  (Read 502101 times)

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
Re: Gamer thread
« Reply #11750 on: January 25, 2022, 07:24:41 PM »
What if Austin Powers was in the Mass Effect Games?

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_rY6gn7GNM

Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLcl8jkbLXM
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
« Reply #11751 on: February 13, 2022, 05:14:14 AM »
I finally rolled that damn boulder up the hill!

In HoI4 I was able to defeat Germany and Italy as Democratic France by Nov 1938. After that it was a cake walk all the way to Jan 1948.
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
  • Spring is still here! : )
« Reply #11752 on: February 13, 2022, 11:22:01 AM »
Hmmm ... that seems less than entertaining to win in 1938 and still have to play all the way until 1948.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

• His Royal Highness
« Reply #11753 on: February 14, 2022, 04:58:05 AM »
Far from it! I was in back to back wars with maybe 1947 being the most peaceful. After Germany and Italy were defeated (I took all of their territories except Berlin and Rome), Japan had finished conquering and puppeting China and then declared war on me and my allies to take the rest of Asia. That was a hard pressed war that last 2 years. After the peace deal I took most of Siam, all of Japan except for Tokyo, some islands, and the rest of Sakhalin island, along with a small bit of Chinese coast. Then the Czech Entente declared war and now there's was another massive war in the Balkans (I had the most military participation and pretty much owned the Balkans after the peace deal) with everyone's troops still in Asia. We didn't even finish the war before the Soviet union (whom just finished their own civil war and was split in half). After they were dealt with the United Russian Federation also declared war on us, then the rest of the fascist countries (Poland, Spain, and the Netherlands) tried to fight us while we were fighting the Russians. Then Iran caused a ruckus too, which was weird since we outnumbered and out teched them by miles. By mid 1947 most of the world was in the Allies and the sun did not set on the British AND French Empires. We remained democratic and held a referendum to allow our colonies to join France and become French full citizens. Everyone but Indochina stayed. But then Indochina changed their minds when I figured out how to use spies.

In all these wars, the French made a name for themselves as experts in Air Superiority, Close Air Support, and very fast tank divisions mixed with motorized infantry. The British had the best Navy (I barley used mine except in the Mediterranean against Italy, and when I was at war with Japan). Like no joke, my CAS fighters were the key to every victory. They melted enemy armies and my weak colonial style troops that made up 80% of my armies just walked all over them. By the time of the war with Russia I had fully kitted out tank mixed with motorized infantry divisions that rolled over anything. By the time of the Spanish and allied Fascists war happened, I had modern tanks. It was far from boring. There was always something going on needing my attention. Mind you I was playing France, and the political game on the home-front kept me busy at all times. Worker strikes, communist dissidents, disjointed government, great war strategic commanders and doctrines, and a score of other political problems I constantly had to manage or undo. French politics was a tangled mess! I untangled it without having to go the Gordian Knot route (no civil wars). Then there was the constant supply shortages for the military since my factories could not keep up, even after I got all of the German and Italian factories. Manpower was always limited until I could finally increase my conscription and allow colonials to serve too. So yeah it was exciting until April 1947 when it was a slog to get to 1948 to finish the game. But then in November Iran became a problem and was dealt with by January 1948. Then the world was at peace.
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
« Reply #11754 on: February 18, 2022, 06:06:20 PM »
I'm getting an RTS version of CIV vibe from Dune: Spice Wars.  I'm digging it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQYuTnJGBv4
― Jake the Dog

Offline Brad

« Reply #11755 on: February 18, 2022, 07:30:37 PM »
Latest email from gog tells me that Boulder Dash is available.  Man I used to love that game on the Amiga.  The DOS version was kinda pants though.

Offline Brad

« Reply #11756 on: February 18, 2022, 07:34:09 PM »
Been playing the prologue campaign in TWWH3.  Turns out it defaults to Easy mode, and yet I'm still getting my arse kicked  :icon_redface:  Damn I'm bad at TW games.  :icon_biggrin:

Offline Brad

« Reply #11757 on: March 13, 2022, 06:13:38 AM »
I'm surprised nobody here has been gushing about Elden Ring.  Maybe you're all too busy actually playing it  :icon_razz:

• His Royal Highness
« Reply #11758 on: April 27, 2022, 03:46:54 PM »
Dune: Spice Wars came out in early access yesterday. I played a bit of it last night and it was pretty fun. I know some of you are familiar with or fans of the old westwood Dune games, this is not that at all. Its a 4x game (Explore, Expand, Exploit, Exterminate) on the planet Arrakis. Its plays kind of like Stellaris in that its real time and you can stop or speed up time, but its no where near as long to play a game. The art style kind of reminds me of the recent CIV games. You have to manage your resources, tech up, fight off raiders, avoid sand worms, pay your spice tax, conquer villages and build them up, deploy spies and agents and use them to their full effect, fight the other factions, use diplomacy with the other factions, and master the geopolitics of the Landsraad. Sure the military plays an important part of the game, but so does literally everything else. I think each faction gets about 5 military units each (a close combat unit, a ranged unit, a heavy weapons unit, an air unit, and a special unit) so while combat is important, its not the end all be all of the game.

The game takes elements from many different Dune sources including the books, the movies, and even board game. For some reason it reminds me more of the board game but with real time strategy and no heroes. There are 4 factions currently: The Atreides, The Harkonnan, the Fremen, and the Smuggler's guild. I am hoping they add the Emperor (house Corinno) and the Bene Gesserit, but I may just be hoping they include more of the board game factions (the smuggler's guild seems to have taken the Spacing Guild's spot in Sietch Tuek). They should definatley have the Emperor faction at some point in the future. The game just released in early access so its more like an open beta with new content on the horizon and tweaks to the current  game before its official release.

― Jake the Dog

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #11759 on: June 01, 2022, 12:44:41 PM »
any others playing Gloomhaven digital?
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

• His Royal Highness
« Reply #11760 on: June 03, 2022, 12:37:24 AM »
So.... Boltgun eh? WH40K DOOM!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCDPIrqZ2GU
― Jake the Dog