home

Author Topic: Your worst painting mistake?  (Read 4685 times)

Offline Calimehter

• Members
Re
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2004, 09:08:43 PM »
Mere days before the first Minneapolis GT, I was finishing up a new Mordheim Elf on foot to use as my Wood Elf general.  After several hours of painting, I was ready to hit him with my trusty GW matte varnish and finish the job.

Lo and behold, the varnish came out of the can just fine, but it dried as a hard, off-white pasty-looking substance instead of a clear coat.  :crybaby:

I ended up starting all over, and never figured out what exactly went wrong.  I tried that same can several times again on some leftover plastic bits I had under some different spraying conditions, and it came out white opaque each time.

I switched to Armory for a while after that ;) but went back to GW after I got tired of Armory's tendancy toward dusty-looking spray coats.

Offline imperialforge

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Your worst painting mistake?
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2004, 09:46:57 PM »
Now I remember...  :shock:

It was not even a painting mistake. It had to do with motor coordination. I just completed an Empire gun emplacement complete with stakes, crew, gun, pavise, grass, flowers... and decided to give everything a coat of Armory seal. I usually do this in front of a open window, so that excess spray would evaporate into the air.  I put the whole emplacement on the window ledge, aimed, sprayed them with a nice coat of Armory seal and left them to dry for a few minutes, figuring some fresh air would not hurt the lads... Something caught my attention... I turned... made an awkward movement... and my newly finished gun emplacement went out of the window, seven floors down, to meet the asphalt of the city street below  :bonk: ...

I nearly jumped after them...

Now, years of therapy later...  :oops: ... I am thinking of another gun emplacement...

Oh, yeah, I forgot - I was giving them a coat of Armory spray seal for strength and durability  :bonk:

Offline Jurgen Stormhammer

• Members
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2004, 11:24:41 PM »
Gorge, my friends Savage Orc Shaman’s arm was always falling off :bonk: So one day after re-gluing the arm for the third time in two days, he takes it outside, puts it on the driveway, goes and gets his brothers blow torch and melts the arm down to a stump! He then paints the stump blood red with a dot of skull white and calls it “battle damage”:?    

The other day I was about to paint the Standard barer for my Teutogen Guard, when the banner falls off :(  So I get the metal glue to fix it. The glue won’t come out :-x  so I squeeze it, the glue comes poring out all over the model and my hands :evil:! I only just got the replacement model.    

I had a similar expeirience, and me my freind (who happens to play Warhammer....Empire in fact) were at the cinema...and I put my hand over on the arm rest, and for some weird reason starting lighty scratching it...suddenly the arm rest jurked away and I heard it say "hey" I suddenly realizes I has been scratching his thigh...I wasn't sure quite what to say afterwords.....

:blergh: That’s just wrong, you’re lucky he didn’t hit you
I play a Middenheim army dang it!

Last battle: Empire vs. Bretonnian: win

Offline Calvin

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2004, 11:45:46 PM »
Quote from: Jurgen Stormhammer
The glue won’t come out :-x  so I squeeze it, the glue comes poring out all over the model and my hands

I've had a very bad experiance with that.
Quote from: Rufas the Eccentric
Remember this every one, when in trouble just screem, CALVIN!
Quote from: Eight
I'd pay an extra 15 points or so to be able to take the engineer out back and shoot him.

Offline count von baines

• Members
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2004, 01:35:21 PM »
You know how when you were little, you would simulate your toy cars crashing into one another.... My little cousin found a fully painted unit of Rohan riders that I’d just finished after 2 weeks..... (you all know what’s coming)............. The little gimp created a sadistic version of horsy demolition derby on a catastrophic scale, none survived.
The little bastard (wiping my tears away)

RIP my men of Rohan :crybaby:

Offline EsnRedshirt

• Members
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2004, 03:00:37 PM »
Locked display case, folks. Locked display case.

I've got a 2 year old nephew and a 6 month old nephew, and neither shall see the inside of my place, pretty much ever...

As for priming over painted models, lets see... nope. I double check the label before I spray. I did have a bad batch of Armory sealant once make a whole unit of Kroot look like they spent the night in a walk-in freezer, though.

Bitz falling off is another story. I lose an average of one Daemonette claw per night played with my Chaos army. People have told me I should pin them on. How anyone can drill a hole small enough for one of those is beyond me- I'd end up poking holes through all the models!

Offline bigrin42

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2004, 03:29:05 PM »
Whoah!  Today I took the day off to go up in the mountains with my wife (one of her infrequent days off).  While she was getting ready I thought I would go ahead and work on the Tzeentch Land Raider commission piece that I need to finish in the next week or two.  I had already finished the interior, and was airbrushing the rest of the tank.  The interior pieces have some 'exterior' areas that need to be painted the same as the outside of the tank.  Anyways, I figured I could just be real careful and airbrush them too ... you know what's coming don't you?  :-x

Suddenly, one of the cats leaps down from on top of my hobby cabinet, scattering pieces as she landed.  It scared the bejeezus out of me and my hand jerked...spraying Vallejo Regal Blue all across the painted (light brown) interior).  :roll:

Life is so much fun these days  :)
Brad G.

http://www.sleepless.to/brad

- Warhammer-Empire Technical Support: Making your experience worth every penny you paid for it

Offline Heiglot

• Members
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2004, 03:41:22 PM »
You people are so unlucky, this type off stuff never happens to me. I only painted small mistakes and clued myself with pieces. But like dropping my stuff onto the ground and stuff. Nope never happened.

I guess the accident is lurking around the corner. :P

Offline imperialforge

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2004, 04:10:17 PM »
Quote from: Heiglot
But like dropping my stuff onto the ground and stuff. Nope never happened.

(Promisingly) There is a first time for everything  :lol:

Offline jlutin

• Members
  • In Development Now
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2004, 04:24:20 PM »
Have you ever dropped a fig and broken the fall with your foot?

<raises hand>

I have a 100% success rate with that method.

Have you almost done it with an exacto knife?

<raises hand>

I guess my foot took control of the situation and decided not to take the hit.
Obama has spent more time playing golf than meeting with Republicans, his Deficit Commission, his Job Council and his Cabinet COMBINED.

Offline Heiglot

• Members
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2004, 08:15:24 PM »
:lol:  Jlutin.

Well actually I lost one of my DE Cold one knights on the floor and the spear end got stuck in the floor because the wood material was so soft.:-D

A bent lance. But easily fixed.

Offline bigrin42

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2004, 09:59:51 PM »
@ jlutin - Yes to both!  Only... remove the almost from the second question.  Ouch!   :oops:
Brad G.

http://www.sleepless.to/brad

- Warhammer-Empire Technical Support: Making your experience worth every penny you paid for it