home

Author Topic: 40mm Historicals ...  (Read 1974 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
  • Summer has arrived! : )
40mm Historicals ...
« on: February 20, 2012, 08:58:56 PM »
First time I started liking 40mm figures was back during Historicon 2010.  Haven't purchased any yet, maybe someday, and wouldn't for WFB ... lol.

However, too bad these Border Reivers aren't in 28mm ...

http://www.perry-miniatures.com/index.php?cPath=23_42_44

Some very neat looking stuff, not that this is surprising, it's Perry. :::cheers:::

Can imagine giving this scale a try at some point, and having some sort of small scale army like Border Reivers might be a good, in that if it's discovered that the scale isn't liked, then haven't commited to a large project.  I'm imagining that the painting might take longer, but don't have any experience painting 40mm, so don't really know if that's true or not.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 09:01:19 PM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• i'm a mercenary doom bringer
Re: 40mm Historicals ...
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 01:34:02 AM »

A few others you may wish to look at...

http://www.sashandsaber.com/catalog40.php4

http://www.miniatureservicecenter.com/msc-40mm-trident-home.htm

Both are also usually represented at Historicon, Cold Wars, etc.

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 01:49:14 AM »
I vaguely recall seeing some of the Sash & Sabre at Historicon 2010, but can't recall seeing MSC.

Thinking at some point I might just buy a few figures and give them a try to see what's its like.  Yet I'm not in a rush.  Its one of those things where in viewing some figures first hand I might get inspired to do a specific period.

Did quite a number of 54mm when I first started painting in 4th grade, but now that thinking back on it, can't really recall completely what it was like from a process standpoint.  That seems strange, yet I suspect now doing anything above 28mm might be a different sense to it.

023 ... have you ever had experience painting 40mm or have heard anything about painting these compared to 28mm?

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 02:35:44 PM »
Not exactly. I did an 80mm Elric figure for a commission a very long time ago. I've also painted some fantasy giants, which are more or less similar. But I haven't done any 40mm.

I've thought about trying some larger scale figures and now that I work with a guy who paints larger scale toy soldiers, I may actually give it a try if I can ever get some time. I did buy an 80mm landsknecht a few years ago. Plus I'll be at Cold Wars (possibly for the last time) in a few weeks, so I may take a look at some 40mm figures.

Offline Donnachaidh

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 09:11:08 AM »
My cousin moved on to 40mm (mostly Sash and Sabre) a few years back and was doing massive units (40 to 50 strong) based to 25mm standards.
He found he could paint them quicker than 25mm, and with his failing eye sight it made it all the more easier.

Years back when Foundry fiurst released their 40mm ACW range my cousin bought a shed load of those and converted them to the Franco Prussian war French doing company level games with companies 90 figures strong.

Visually fantastic..!
Without so much as a damn your eyes for the inconvenience

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 03:01:13 PM »
Uh oh, the miniholic in me is once again awakening. :icon_lol:

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 03:45:25 PM »
So ... as I get closer to taking the plunge into 40mm, I'm now at least thinking of testing the water. :icon_lol:

023 already provided a link to MSC above, and it goes to their AWI page.

Here's the main page ... http://www.miniatureservicecenter.com/index.html ... they've got some  midievals, AWI, and ACW.

Back to dipping my toes in ... there's a guy who's started a business called Hotspur Hobbies, specializing in military history, and he's going to be carrying the MSC line of 40mm figures, along with other miniature products.  And he's going to be at Huzzah! 2012 this year in Maine.  I'll get to see this line before purchasing.  And its got me wondering which of the three periods I'm going to purchase a few for painting.  Leaning towards the AWI, but haven't finalized.

Offline Wolfgang aus Wien

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 12:24:14 PM »
40 mm are one of the original toy soldier scales, Prince August have a nice selection of molds for 18th century and Napoleonic figures.