home

Author Topic: What are you getting for the Empire?  (Read 16338 times)

Offline xxvaderxx

• Members
Re: What are you getting for the Empire?
« Reply #125 on: April 04, 2012, 10:02:00 AM »
A comfy shelf for the reminder of this edition?
picture sigs are not allowed here - The Management

Offline abdulaapocolyps

• Members
« Reply #126 on: April 04, 2012, 02:50:04 PM »
Hi all. I'm collecting almost from scratch so here's my 2 cents.
  I'll be getting the book and prob the planet chariot thing,basically because it looks cool and I think I may be able to convert a sun powered laser thing out of the spares...
  I think I'm going to hold off in case the rumours mantic are releasing humans soon for core.the tuetonic knights recently released by,I think it was Fire forge,are a must I think too.
  Back to GW things,I have a couple of mages and a couple of priests so will skip them,and am not overly keen on the witch hunter model. I think of all the stuff GW do I will be getting the lord kit.
  I so far love this release,if your complaint is we can't beat an abusive slave list then good,skaven are op,as are a lot of the 7th books.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #127 on: April 04, 2012, 03:07:58 PM »
  I'll be getting the book and prob the planet chariot thing,basically because it looks cool and I think I may be able to convert a sun powered laser thing out of the spares...

Sprue pics are on the GW site - I spent half an hour looking at them and assembling the kit in my head. I think you are right; you can make the planetarium chariot and have the whole Archimedes mirror left over, with a lot of cool bits. You will need something to mount the death laser on, of course.

I am planning to make a giant bronze bull crewed by voluptuous Amazons with a true Archimedes mirror on the back, to proxy as a Stank (or, now there are specific rules for it, the Luminark).
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline dalezzz

• Members
« Reply #128 on: April 04, 2012, 09:08:11 PM »
well with the massive nerf to our army book ive been forced to buy another 120 or so statetroops ... with a carry case :D curse the new book!

Offline chaospuppet

• Members
« Reply #129 on: April 05, 2012, 10:09:03 AM »
well with the massive nerf to our army book ive been forced to buy another 120 or so statetroops ... with a carry case :D curse the new book!

I've decided to stop at 40 of each: Spearmen, Halberdiers and Swordsmen. Also got 35 Greatswords,  31 Flagellants and 20 Free Company which I probably wont need to expand with the increase in points costs for most of them. Doubt I'll bother with Horde rule but if I do then I'll be playing with a horde of 40 max.

I hate the halberds models blades snapping off - wish I could come up with a solution as I'm in the middle of painting them but each time one snaps off I lose the incentive. Ten of my halberdiers are now utilising the ten militia halberds I had, but I've still got a bunch which snap off... Maybe I should try and get some more spare militia halberds or replace them with metal ones...

I imagine I'll have the same problem with the 40 spears I now need to make up... - oh well...

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #130 on: April 05, 2012, 10:10:49 AM »
use aluminium shafts.

Problem solved
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Mechanical Monkey

• Members
« Reply #131 on: April 05, 2012, 10:20:37 AM »
use aluminium shafts.

Problem solved

Sounds kinky  :biggriin:
Why would he look there?  Never ever has there been balls under an elf's robes.   :closed-eyes:

Offline Justnorth

• Members
« Reply #132 on: April 05, 2012, 10:25:29 AM »
You could buy the Perry pike shaft packs (about 8 quid for a big pack of them) and mount the halberd heads on to those once you have selected a length that suits your purpose.
Probably get you two halberd shafts from each pike.
Watch out though, they are sharp.
GW can pucker their skanky lips and suck my arse.

He's French. Since when do his plans have to be feasible?

Offline chaospuppet

• Members
« Reply #133 on: April 05, 2012, 11:25:39 AM »
You could buy the Perry pike shaft packs (about 8 quid for a big pack of them) and mount the halberd heads on to those once you have selected a length that suits your purpose.
Probably get you two halberd shafts from each pike.
Watch out though, they are sharp.

I saw someone else had suggested this previously - I could end up with 40 spears and 40 halberd shafts... I wonder if I used up all my swordsmen arms for shield arms for the spears and grabbed some misc right arms from my box if I could end up with them with spears in the air... Much better for ranking...

Someone had said they were going to buy the metal halberds from Perry... Has anyone ever had any success with replacing their halberds - any pics or tips?

Offline Maza

• Members
« Reply #134 on: April 05, 2012, 09:17:49 PM »
The 2-headed griffon is growing on me! It is so uncompromising, especially with the beast wizard option, I think! I need to find a way to quickly squeeze one into my small army. I am now at maximum 1000 pts, maybe depending on new points values and characters. If I paint up a steam tank for a quick points boost (I want one anyway) I should then be able to squeeze it in!

Good times!

Offline Clymer

• Members
« Reply #135 on: April 06, 2012, 04:02:01 AM »
Already ordered the book and will definitely get some demigryph knights at some point. But I see a lot of guys already decided on two boxes worth of demigryphs and I'm surprised. They're not going to be worth the points to run them with a rank because the real benefit comes from the mount, whose attacks you wont get from the back rank. You might want to run them four wide, but 5 or 6 wide is a bit ridiculous and who wants to have 2 spare models lying around at $18 each?

Then you've got the revamped steam tank with super duper impact hits and random movement for 50 points less. That thing just got a whole lot more awesome. And with the mortar nerf it looks like volley guns and hellblasters are going to be the new artillery choices, so you've already got a full rare section before throwing in another 350 point unit (+/-) of 6 demigryphs, or even a pair of 3 demigryph units. They do look good... on paper, but certainly not mournfang good. I'll be surprised to see more than 1 unit of 3 or 4 on the table very often.

As for the big models... I hope they're good, but I've got my doubts. The War Altar sounds like it will still be pretty good and worth while, despite having gotten some nerfing. The new one is definitely better than the one I've got, but $50 better? Nah. As to the others... well, I already mentioned that incredibly full rare section which is going to be problematic for the big carts. Then instead of artillery, I've already got cannons. And the buffs? They seem too one-dimensional and too short ranged to be very good. After impact hits, I can't see either of these being any good in combat, so at least some portion of their points cost rationale will account for the combat possibility, but my guess is that these guys are just going to free CR whenever they do get into combat. I find it hard to imagine how they will be rationally priced. I'll be happy to be mistaken, but I think the big carts are going to turn out to be a big disappointment.
Note: The above post was intended for entertainment purposes only and may contain views not necessarily held by its author. Any similarity to actual facts is purely coincidental.

Offline today

• Members
« Reply #136 on: April 06, 2012, 04:27:34 AM »

Sprue pics are on the GW site - I spent half an hour looking at them and assembling the kit in my head. I think you are right; you can make the planetarium chariot and have the whole Archimedes mirror left over, with a lot of cool bits. You will need something to mount the death laser on, of course.

I am planning to make a giant bronze bull crewed by voluptuous Amazons with a true Archimedes mirror on the back, to proxy as a Stank (or, now there are specific rules for it, the Luminark).

Mount it on a steam tank!

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #137 on: April 06, 2012, 02:45:24 PM »
Arghhh, my store didn't get their shipment in yesterday! They said that someimes they don't get their shipments on Thursday when there is a big release like an updated army. They are positive they'll have the new stuff tonight.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #138 on: April 07, 2012, 10:46:13 PM »
GRMMMMBBLLL

Went to the store today... their shipment of Empire stuff got delayed...

Anyway bought some old Greatswords they had calling out to me "buy me buy me"

Also first nessecary item I bought where two small bags of 5 normal dice with the older bigger Scatter and Artillery Dice.. as I only had one of both (in the bigger version) and you will now need 3 of each!! 3 Art dice at once for the Helblaster and 3 dice at once for the Helstorm.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 11:24:51 AM by StealthKnightSteg »
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline ac4155

• Members
« Reply #139 on: April 07, 2012, 11:35:18 PM »
For to my local GW store today (first time in about 3 years) and brought the Witch Hunter model. I'd normally order it cheaper from wayland games or maelstrom, but I'm a sucker for a good character sculpt and could not wait. :icon_biggrin:

It's got to be my favourite model of the new Empire release.
AC