home

Author Topic: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]  (Read 643475 times)

Offline commandant

• Members
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #450 on: June 16, 2012, 08:10:35 AM »
Mortus will go back to the Inn.   Her eyes will widen when she sees Klaus and Max.   She will sit on her bed and stash the wine bottles away and wait for the others.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #451 on: June 16, 2012, 08:21:14 AM »
Julian pays the doctor, he doesn't begrudge doing so, but doesn't want to be left out of pocket.
He also gives Ludwig a few shillings (is 3 enough for a few pints? )

'Heinrich, I think we should go and see if we can figure out which building was above the demon room'
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #452 on: June 16, 2012, 08:31:12 AM »
Max is weak and confused after his ordeal. When he's brought back to the inn, he realises Julian paid for his treatment and looks in his money pouch. When he can only find 4 crowns in there (all he has left) he offers them to Julian, "I'll pay you the rest when I can, sir. I spent too much money at the fair... oh Klaus, I'm so sorry you were hurt. It's all my fault!" He breaks down and starts to cry.

(is 3 enough for a few pints? )

Yes. It's enough for 4 pints, actually!
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #453 on: June 16, 2012, 08:52:01 AM »
Mortus arrives back at the inn shortly before the others. She's shocked when Julian and Heinrich bring the injured Max and Klaus in, and asks what happened.

Once Max and Klaus have been put to bed, Julian suggest he, Heinrich and Mortus go look for the building above the demon room.
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #454 on: June 16, 2012, 09:19:06 AM »
Julian knows that the building is on Kaufman Strasse, close to the end of the paved section. Along with Mortus and Heinrich, he sets off to locate it.

Thanks to his excellent map skills, Julian easily identifies the building, which is an imposing single-story place with a sign showing a barrel with a sigil on it. Mortus recognises this badge as the emblem of the Steinhager family. It looks like an office building. It's a detached building with two doors (one at the front and another at the back). There are two small groups of trees and bushes close by, one within sight of each door.

It's still daylight, and the office is open for business.
If I wanted to.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #455 on: June 16, 2012, 09:24:28 AM »
"What in the name of all things holy happened to them," Mortus demands.   For a few seconds her own ordeal is blown from her mind.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 11:52:16 AM by commandant »

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #456 on: June 16, 2012, 07:01:55 PM »
"Mortus, didnt you say you had dealings with the Steinhager's? I guess someone should go into the office. "

Pass the machete.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #457 on: June 16, 2012, 07:59:58 PM »
"I will go there, though not alone.   I have some dealings with the family.   I am posing as an advance buying in foreign wine.   I have made some purchases so they will not be expecting me again so soon.   However I could claim that I have received a letter from the north to look for a greater scope of new wines, that Lord Olgoleor is planning a large party for early in the new year and wants a complete restock of his seller.   I will need a greaters supply of hard money as well as respectable letter of credit which I can write myself," Mortus says.   She quickly explains her dealings with the family, glossing swiftly over the actions of Gotthold, and finishing with.   "Also whatever was killed in that warehouse it wasn't killed by falling crates and it wasn't a goblin.   All the boxes were empty and the blood was the wrong colour.   Still while they were really worried about merchant spying they didn't seem to make any effort to hide the blood in the warehouse."  She pauses, she seems shaken by reviewing her morning.   She stands shaking for a few seconds and then stops with a visible effort and turns back to the other two..   "You still haven't told me what happened to Klaus and Max.   Well I can see what happened but why?"   Her voice becomes slightly sharper as she speaks
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 10:09:24 PM by commandant »

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #458 on: June 16, 2012, 10:03:34 PM »
"Klaus, while I was shopping for equipment, decided to be a bit heroic..." Julian lowers his voice, careful not to be heard.
"He got it into his head that the Baron would be not involved in what we are dealing with, and powerful to sort it. So he went and convinced one of his Captains about the... problem we encountered in the sewers, and led some of his men to it. on arrival he discovered that all the evidence had been covered up, so he was lashed for lying to the captain. Max tried to stop the punishment so was lashed as well."

"I'll go inside with you Mortus, but I think you should do the talking. I can look respectable though. Is there no other pretext we could think up that meant we didnt need money? Perhaps we could ask someone what this building is."
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 10:12:29 PM by Finlay »

Pass the machete.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #459 on: June 16, 2012, 11:39:11 PM »
"He did what?" Mortus asked, shock clear in her voice.   She shakes her head slowly from side to side.   "The poor fellow."

In order to get her mind off Klaus Mortus thinks about the office.   She feels the letter in her belt pouch.

"Gotthold gave me a letter in case I needed anything in the further," she said.   "We could go to the office to see if he is there.   I don't expect that he would be but it would give us a reason to be there.   I would just need a reason to need to talk to him."
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 11:45:05 PM by commandant »

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #460 on: June 17, 2012, 03:52:34 AM »
Heinrich speaks up, "I think we should wait until dark. Julian and I can break in and find all the evidence we need."
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #461 on: June 17, 2012, 08:54:59 AM »
[back at the inn]

"Klaus?" Max says, his voice sounding very small, "how do you feel? I'm so sorry about what happened. The captain wouldn't listen to me... if only I'd told him who I was, instead of insulting him! He might have listened then. It's all my fault, what they did to you. Can you forgive me, Klaus?"
If I wanted to.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #462 on: June 17, 2012, 09:02:16 AM »
Klaus opens his eyes.....still lying in the tavern bed he smells the fresh linen of the pillow his face has rested in for hours. His senses are still numbed by the potion the physician gave him but he still can feel the burn on his back...and the rage in his gut. Why.......why did he even go to that captain. It was completely not like him, Klaus would have kept his profile low, tricked some of the guests of the town out of their money and moved on. Why in the chaos wastes (I am not sure there is a concept of hell and heaven in the Warhammer World) did he stick around and spent most of his time and energy on finding out about those demon worshippers.......then it dawned on him as he turned his head and saw Max on the other bed.

It was all the fault of that fucking idiot. His hero worshipping made Klaus think he WAS a hero. Only because of that fool did he go to the captain, this naive little puppy lulled him into forgetting everything he learned about the world.....in the end the bad guys win. Always!

"It is all your fault.....you fool. Because of your idiocy I forgot for a moment what cold and harsh place the world out there is. Are you awake....can you even hear me? Well I donīt care anyway (Klaus is still groggy from the drugs and the pain so he didnīt hear Max and just goes on with his rant)....as I will be out of here in no time. As soon as I am able to walk I will get my stuff...and yours and will leave this hellhole as I can feel that there is something bad about to happen. You guys are bad for my health, and I havenīt survived for so long to die in a stinkhole like this. I wanted to strip you off everything and you didnīt even realize that I was exploiting you but your sickness of being an idiot is contagious and I wont let that happen. I wonīt be like you, I am something now and I was nothing, you could be something but you choose to be nothing. Instead of just doing what you want you try to impress everyone and by doing so lose the respect even of the lowest gutter rat there is. You lick my boots even though from birth the best I could ever hope to be would be the pisspage of one as you. I made it. I am something and you idiots wonīt take that away from me. I am better than you failures."

While holding his monolouge Klaus tries to get out of bed and also tries to get his clothes on.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #463 on: June 17, 2012, 09:16:09 AM »
Klaus tries to put his shirt on, but it's no good - his back hurts far too much, despite the medicine he was given. Max gets out of bed, tears running down his face, and tries to put his hand on Klaus's shoulder.

"Klaus, please, don't leave! You need to rest - you took three dozen lashes! I felt every one as I watched, because I knew it was all my fault. You're right to blame me, because I should have been able to talk them out of whipping you. Or I should have warned you not to try to talk to the baron in the first place. I was glad they whipped me too, because I deserved it. Father used to beat me all the time, but it was for my own good, to teach me respect, make me strong.

"Please don't leave! Or at least, let me come with you! You saved my life, and I've done nothing but fail you in return."
If I wanted to.

• Members
« Reply #464 on: June 17, 2012, 09:31:23 AM »
Klaus slaps Max`s hand away and sits back down on the bad his face a grimace as he winces because of the pain.

"Yes everything is your fault, that Sigmar died....your fault. The coming of winter.....yep you did that. Pimples on my arse....definately your fault. If I could move I would beat your face to bloody pulp and take a piss on it afterwards and you would thank me for it. You donīt know shit about the world. People like Sir Martin always flogg people like me, that is how the world works. Your father is an asshole and he beats you not to make you strong but to vent his frustration that you are not Sigmar reborn but just you, and most likely because he is a sadist and enjoys beating weaker ones as himself, I wouldnīt wonder if he also has a whipping boy and bites and claws the prostitutes he fucks. And I havenīt saved your life you little dipshit. I just didnīt want to be alone in those sewers, it was I that killed Boris, I shoved him towards that beast and he only tripped and fell into it because of me, and I would have done the same to you to safe my skin. As long as you continue to live in your dreamworld people will exploit you and treat you like the do.....yes it is YOUR fault that they treat you like shit, because you choose to be treated that way with every fucking word that comes out of your mouth. "
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 09:35:08 AM by Fandir Nightshade »

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #465 on: June 17, 2012, 09:59:00 AM »
Max looks horrified. He sits down on his bed and stares at the floor. Then he says, "I... I don't believe you. You're only saying these things because you're angry and hurt. You can't have killed Boris.... you can't have! And you don't mean all those other terrible things... you can't mean them. It's not true. You don't hate me. Father doesn't hate me."

He sits there, in silence. He doesn't look at Klaus.
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #466 on: June 17, 2012, 11:13:30 AM »
Julian decides now is a good time for a smoke. He carefully packs the tobacco into the poor,  a ritual which clears his mind,  then lights the pipe and starts to pensively draw the smoke into his mouth.

He closes his eyes on contemplation for a moment, then says I think me and mortus should go in now. And then you and I should break in tonight.

Pass the machete.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #467 on: June 17, 2012, 11:21:03 AM »
Mortus steps back from Julian, away from the thick smoke that is billowing from him.   She shrugs.

"I have an idea," she says.   "It might be slightly expensive but it would give us a reason to be in the office.   I think we could go in and ask for Gotthold and Pietr who is the factor.   I could say that it is a tradition in my family once a deal has been reached to go to invite them to dinner.   The only problem with the plan is we would need to be able to provide a dinner in a private room of a reasonably expensive inn.   It is just an idea though.   Going to the office is fine, they will not be that surprised to see me but I need a reason."   She pauses and shrugs again.   "Though I think breaking in is a terrible idea.   The family has a big deal going down in the next few days.   They are very very very jumpy.   I'm not sure if trying to break into their offices isn't a sure fire way to end up like Klaus or worse.   We need to decide what we want to know because it is even worse if we head in with no idea."

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #468 on: June 17, 2012, 09:43:15 PM »
"I'm not paying for everyone to have dinner! I already paid for the treatment of Max and Klaus."

Julian has made up his mind, and walks into the office. He will ask for a meeting to offer his services as an engineering consultant, claiming that he can secure stores from rats and damp and has stopped the spoiling of goods all across the empire.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #469 on: June 17, 2012, 10:18:04 PM »
Julian knocks on the front door, which is opened a moment later by an old man. He looks at Julian, and then says, "this is the Steinhager head office. What is your business here, sir?" A dog can be heard barking close by. "Be quiet, Fang!" the man shouts.

Julian explains that he is a guild engineer, and is offering his services protecting storerooms from damp.

"Well, I'll ask Mr. Steinhager if he's interested. I'll show you to a waiting room. This way, sir."

The front door opens onto a large, pleasant courtyard with an ornamental pond at the centre and doors on all sides. Julian counts eight doors in all. The doorkeeper leads him to a door in the corner to his right. It's a richly furnished room, and there's a decanter of brandy set out on the table. "Take a seat sir, I won't be long."

Julian is kept waiting for about ten minutes before the doorman returns. "Mr. Steinhager will see you now. This way please."

They return to the courtyard, and this time go through the first door to the left of the main entrance. The doorkeeper bows, and departs.

Julian is in another well-furnished room. It's paneled with dark wood, and has a huge and ornate desk in the middle. There's another door on one of the walls, next to a large painting of the town. "The desk is Cathayan wood," says the man seated behind it, "it cost a fortune to have it brought here! Well worth it though. I'm Franz Steinhager, the head of the Steinhager trading family. I'm told you can help keep the damp out of our warehouses? I've heard that one before, and we still have problems. I've never hired a dwarf before though. Perhaps that's where I've been going wrong."

Franz Steinhager is a grey-haired, rather fat man in his mid forties. He stands up, walks over to Julian, and shakes his hand. "Sit down, please."

He gestures towards a well-padded chair on one side of the desk, and then returns to his own on the other. As he sits down, Julian notices something among the papers piled on the desk - a letter written on parchment that has the words 'Ordo Septenarius' printed across the bottom.

Being careful not to let Steinhager see him, Julian tries to read the visible portion of the letter (the very end of the letter).

[Observe test, against I of 26, dice roll = 25!]

Julian is able to read the following:

...Schaffenfests ends, with the sound of the twelfth bell, our plan will come into fruition.
 J. T.

As Steinhager sits down, Julian looks away from the letter, hoping he hasn't been noticed. He hasn't.

"Now," Steinhager says, "tell me about your proposal. If I am interested I may wish you to inspect the warehouses and provide me with a quotation."

He listens attentively.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 10:28:46 PM by rufus sparkfire »
If I wanted to.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #470 on: June 18, 2012, 01:34:16 AM »
Heinrich will case the exterior, surreptitiously looking for the best place to break in unnoticed.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #471 on: June 18, 2012, 01:44:41 AM »
Mortus will go with Heinrich

• Members
« Reply #472 on: June 18, 2012, 08:22:39 AM »
Klaus closes his eyes again and waits several minutes and takes a deep breath before he starts again most of his anger already gone

"I donīt hate you Max, but you really should get your head out of your arse. If you want to do your hero worshipping stuff do it with someone like Heinrich or Julian but I promise you it will get you killed at some point. You are a brave and loyal person and think everyone else is like that too....they arenīt. Just look at what is happening now, as it seems we have some rich and powerful men, people who never starved in their life, who never freezed during a cold winter, who most likely have a wife and children turn to the dark powers to increase their wealth and power. There is a hole in the heart of man, a hole that no possession, power, or knowledge could fill. And in his infinite greed, we dream of expanding our dominion over everything. Even people we like. It is always the strong that prey upon the weak and fill their personal hole with what they can take away from them. Take Heinrich, he is a just person but he lives on catching or killing people who broke the law. It doesnīt matter what caused them to break the law, what road they had travelled to end in his manacles.....I donīt even know why I tell you all of this. I need a drink....and a woman as soon as I am healed and then I will leave you fools"

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #473 on: June 18, 2012, 08:54:27 AM »
Max looks up at Klaus. His bruised, tear-streaked face looks sad but hopeful. Just hearing the words I don't hate you has pulled him back from the edge of despair.

"I... I knew you didn't mean those things, Klaus. You just want to teach me about life, to help me... That's what father tried to do for me, but I never learned, and he sent me away. Oh Klaus, is the world really such a terrible place? I know there are bad people, but there are so many good ones too... like you. You are a good and noble man, Klaus, no matter what you think about yourself. I know it's true. You really did save me in the sewers, because you could have left me there to die and you didn't. And you tried to warn the authorities about the danger to the town, even though you knew they probably wouldn't believe you.

"Please stay with us. We can still stop the demon summoners... I know we can. You know it too, deep down."

He smiles weakly at Klaus. His belief in him seems amazingly resilient.
If I wanted to.

• Members
« Reply #474 on: June 18, 2012, 09:28:17 AM »
Klaus expression is changing back to angry or annoyed, hard to tell.

"You really donīt listen...do you? I went to the Captain of the guard to get a reward and also took you along because it was obvious that you had money. But as talking to you is like talking to a solid piece of rock, why donīt you bugger yourself and leave me alone."

Klaus flexes his fingers something he often does when he is brooding over something.