home

Author Topic: Most and least appealing WHFB armies?  (Read 22098 times)

Offline Dendo Star

• Members
  • And......loving it.
Re: Most and least appealing WHFB armies?
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2012, 03:19:34 PM »
Most

Empire - a'duh
Bretonnia - French King Arthur, so that's okay.
Skaven - neat
Orcs and Goblins - WAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGHH!
Chaos Dwarfs - awesome

Least

Tomb Kings - why did you split Undead?
Vampire Counts - why did you split Undead?!  Schmucks.
Beastmen - boring, detracts from Chaos being a seperate army
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 05:22:13 PM by Dendo Star »
I'm in college!

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2012, 04:11:28 PM »
Wood Elves - I agree with most that the fluff is a "bit off", restricted to one forest? WTF?!?

That depends on the size of the forest.

Offline Steerpike

• Members
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2012, 04:39:49 PM »
Appealing:

Empire. Where to start? Let's just say that while being 'mere' boring humans they are still the most characterful army in the game.
Wood elves. Grim and determinate, yet brave and idealistic. They are the true dark elves. I also like their sneakiness and the way it is reflected in the rules.
High elves. Fragile but powerful. I like their eliteness, their image of neat perfection.
Chaos Dwarfs. Through their wicked mix of magic and technology, they achieve some form of bizarreness that kind of appeals to me.
Bonus: Araby. I know, not gonna happen. I still believe it has a huge potential if done right. Hell, I want fanatic assassins, crazy prophets, diabolic djinns, gigantic rukhs...

Unappealing:

Tomb Kings. I kind of see their point, but maybe they don't really fit in my idea of WFB.
Beastmen. I'd appreciate them if they favored some imagery in the lines of fairy tales (fauns and such), even if preserving the darkness of an evil a destruction force. As they stand, though, I don't get them.
Dark elves. Cheesy goths. Meh.

Offline Calisson

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • From Druchii.net
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2012, 06:36:22 PM »
Appealing:
Dark Elves. Because they are a glass cannon. In addition, they have a very friendly website.
Empire. Because they have what DE don't have: excellent armour and warmachines (and are more mobile than Dwarfs).
Regiments or Renoun - alas, they are not playable.

Unappealing:
HE: Too cartoonish models.
Vampires & Khemri. Can't imagine playing dead men.
Daemons of chaos. Can't imagine playing daemons.

Offline Maza

• Members
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2012, 06:38:53 PM »
Thanks for the replies. A few observations:

Very few dislike O&G, but a good number likes them.
WE, and to some extent WoC, stir up a lot of emotions, both positive and negative!
Sorry Roka, but the Lizardmen really do not seem popular... Neither do daemons.
Skaven, Bretonnia and Beastmen are not often commented upon.

:-D

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2012, 08:00:33 PM »
Thanks for the replies. A few observations:

Very few dislike O&G, but a good number likes them.
WE, and to some extent WoC, stir up a lot of emotions, both positive and negative!
Sorry Roka, but the Lizardmen really do not seem popular... Neither do daemons.
Skaven, Bretonnia and Beastmen are not often commented upon.

:-D
and don't forget elves are evil  :closed-eyes: jk
“An army of principles will penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot.”
― Thomas Paine

Offline HidaSeku

• Members
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2012, 09:20:32 PM »
Most Appealing
Empire Warrior Priests, Knights Panther, men bravely facing the horrors of the world, winning by tactic rather than force of arms. Love it!
Lizardmen Dinosaur army. Skinks/Saurus/Kroxigor relationship I've always found interesting
Orcs & Goblins Great character, so many fun options
Beastmen I'd love to start this army, even if I already have 4
Dwarfs Cool feel, love the brewery aspects, and the tough squatness of it all
High Elves Phoenix Guard? White Lions with Lion Chariots? Yes please.

Middle Ground
Warriors of Chaos Like the marauders and warriors, dislike most builds on the table.
Ogre Kingdoms Meh. Don't hate it, don't like it. Just is.

Least Appealing
Skaven I used to love this army (I own 4,000ish points of them) but after discovering Empire I've grown to dislike it
Tomb Kings Bleh. No interest.
Vampire Counts Cool for others to play, zero desire to play them myself. Not a fan of vampires and there's nothing else in the army to like.
Dark Elves I get it, but I just don't like it. Let someone else play the sadistic slaver.
Chaos Dwarfs Not for me. Let someone else play the sadistic slaver (oh wait...)
Brettonia Lots of knights and peasants, which should get me all excited but simply doesn't. No explanation.
Daemons Liked it better when these weren't seperated from the rest of chaos. Armies of all daemons is kind of odd, imho.
Wood Elves Orion is cool, but that's it. Just not a treehugger at heart, I guess

Offline Drmooreflava

• Members
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2012, 09:37:51 PM »
Least interesting: Dwarfs!
My buddy plays em and is soo frustrated. I hope GW fixes their army by giving them some high movement units and some sort of bound magic for the magic phase. Otherwise, dwarfs just don't participate in every phase of the turn which is a tell tale sign that the army is severely unbalanced.

Most interesting: Any 8th edition army book.

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2012, 09:49:53 PM »
Least interesting: Dwarfs!
My buddy plays em and is soo frustrated. I hope GW fixes their army by giving them some high movement units and some sort of bound magic for the magic phase. Otherwise, dwarfs just don't participate in every phase of the turn which is a tell tale sign that the army is severely unbalanced.

Is your friend relatively new? If so have him try out an anvil of doom and to counteract their natural slowness remember they are relentless and can march all the time. Dwarfs are very frustrating to some players.
― Thomas Paine

Offline oak_prince

• Members
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2012, 10:28:14 PM »
Most:
Empire: Renaissance steampunk religious fanatic Germans. What's not to like? Every so often someone remarks that they wish Empire looked "more medieval" and I'm forced to kill them.
Warriors of Chaos: Demonic vikings. Fun to model/paint.   
Wood Elves: Always been interested in fae/sidhe. Their fluff is dark without coming across as having been written by an emotionally disturbed 13 year old boy. 

Somewhat:
Beastmen: A bunch of goat demons surging out of the woods really excites my imagination. And I really dig the Gor and Bestigor figures. Ruleswise they're overpriced brown orcs. They need points cost reductions across the board, better ambush rules, and maybe an extra forest like the Wood Elves get.

Least:
Daemons of Chaos: They look ridiculous(further compounded by the lack of cohesion in a multi-god army) and carry the stigma of cheese.
Ogres: Ugly
Dwarfs: Identical to all other fantasy dwarves, a real hit or miss model range. Shame, since from LOTR we know GW has the be potential to make good dwarf models.
Bretonnia. Dull tactics, dated models.
Orcs: Iconic, sure. But the gimpy rules and high model count keep me away.

Skaven deserve their own section here. I hate everything about the Skaven. I hate their mindless fluff about how NO ONE KNOWS THEY EXIST even though the Empire, Tileans, Lizardmen, Wood Elves, and Dwarves have fought multiple major wars against them. I hate how every single weapon variant has its own slightly different rules and how Skaven players are always "forgetting" to resolve the bad effects when a double/1/misfire is rolled.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 10:13:02 PM by oak_prince »
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone".

Offline Roka

• Members
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2012, 10:41:41 PM »
most
Empire - i wouldn't be on here if i thought otherwise

Lizardmen - they were my first army, most only see the surface on them but they hold alot of secrets and a good amount of different play styles (not as much as empire but its still fun seeing how each way they can go) also i like how tanky and defensive they naturally are.

Dark elves - i see them as a offensive counter part to lizards (sword to the shield) but i like how they work with the basic all out attack

Tomb kings - my brother runs them and i love the blank slate game style
middle

orcs n goblins - i dont know toom much about them but ive always liked the green skins

least

ogres- i have a friend who has em and ive played agesnt and using them. i like there game play but i hate HATE HATE how they look

wood elfs - too squishy, and always sitting back and shooting is too boring. and too squishy

scaven - i like their style, but i dont like how they are basicly empire with swarming but with no buffs, and they rely way too much on certain models to get the job done always (hell pit, grey seer (dreaded 13th), doom wheel, warp lighting cannon) they dont (or atleast ive never played someone who does) let there troops win it for them, its all about the big toys for them
Now I want to kill these pointy-eared bastards, and preferably enslave their women, burn their cities, pour salt onto their fields et cetera. But how do I proceed?

Offline Silver Wolf

• Members
  • I see lead people.
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2012, 12:09:24 AM »
Most appealing:
The Empire.
O&G: The funniest race in whole WH universe. They also have that special design which makes them different then other fantasy orcs.
Warriors of Chaos: Khorne! Nurgle! Slaanesh! Tzeentch! Undivided! Daemon princes! Storm of Chaos!
Tomb kings: A really good concept, they just need more detailed core troops.
Vampire Counts: A classic really. Hordes of undead led by a mighty forever-young immortal.
Wood elves: Eternal guards, war dancers, ancient treemen and stuff...

Least appealing:
Bretonnia: They have so much potential, but the current models are kind of bland (except those questing knights? But I don't really like metal models). This upcoming update might make them interesting.
Dwarves: Unoriginal, bland and boring. Except the slayers, one of the most original units in WHF. And yet, no one uses those guys!
Ogres: They have that sumo fighter look. Gnoblars are kind of cool, though. (They remind me of goblins/snotlings)
Lizardmen: I just don't find them interesting.
"Watch the skies, traveler."
Check out my wargaming blog - The Forge of War

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2012, 12:51:49 AM »
Most:
Empire
Dogs of War
Dwarves
Chaos Dwarves with big hats for maximum awesomeness.

Least:
Ogres
Daemons
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline b0007452

• Members
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2012, 03:16:18 PM »
Most Appealing

Empire - Similarly to Imperial Guard I love the idea of a normal human struggling to survive.
Vampire Counts and Tomb Kings - Enjoy the idea of undead walking about, as well as great models and fluff.
Lizardmen - As a kid I was obsessed with dinosaurs, nuff said.

Least Appealing

Warriors of Chaos - Uninspiring in every sense.
High Elves - I dont like the idea of small elite units, I think on the field hordes look much better.
Skaven - Just really don't like the models, I think a huge slave unit just looks like a big mess to be honest.

These are my thoughts  :engel:
:) My Slowly Growing Army of Bogenhafen - http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=44020 :)

Offline Krudenwald

• Members
  • "Even Unto Death"
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2012, 05:23:34 PM »
Most:
Empire: Renaissance steampunk religious fanatic Germans. What's not to like? Every so often someone remarks that they wish Empire looked "more medieval" and I'm forced to kill them.

[...]

Wood Elves: Always been interested in fae/sidhe. Their fluff is dark without coming across as having been written by an emotional disturbed 13 year old boy. 

You are my hero. If only I could have put it that well.
No, I'm sending it to people I reckon I can trust. Or, at least, people I think I can murder should it become neccesary.

Offline matt217th

• Members
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2012, 05:32:28 PM »
most appealing;
Empire - great character, lots of army options.

Least;
High Elves (even though I own 1k), the always strike first is a little much.

Army I would most like to try;
Orcs and Goblins, but I doubt I will ever invest in such a model heavy army considering I do Empire.
I am Catholic. Purgatory is the best I can hope for, in this and the next life.

Offline Dosiere

• Members
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2012, 02:08:36 AM »
Most appealing:

Empire..... yeah
Orcs and Goblins: Fun, but not so silly that you can't be serious with them most of the time.  I find I really enjoy playing with my Orc and Gobbo army, it's more relaxing somehow.
Vampire Counts: A characterful and great looking army.
High Elves: Their old army book is getting long in the teeth, the ASF band-aid was annoying, but I like the idea of playing an army that is elite but with some clear weaknesses as well. 

Least Appealing:

Lizardmen: Agree with most here.  They just seem silly to me.
Skaven: i actually have quite a few, but dang do they need a more balanced army book.  I like the models, but please GW fix their armybook.
Dark Elves: Don't really see the point of these guys.  The EMO thing gets annoying. 
Wood Elves: Love the models and the fluff, but for over 10 years I have seen GW try and fail to make the idea work in Warhammer.  I hope GW gets their next armybook right, whenever that will be....

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2012, 03:14:07 AM »
Most appealing
A nice balanced army with a good story behind it.

Least appealing
a cheesy min-maxed army with no colour

Race is less important to me as I only play Empire

Offline Lord Solar Plexus

• Members
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2012, 07:20:08 AM »
Most: Empire.

Least: Skaven. I can't stand to see them anymore after literally hundreds of fights, I can't stand their limitless tricks, I could never stand to paint them all even with spray paint, I couldn't afford to buy an army unless I sell the house, in which case I would have no spare rooms, and I don't even like their background or general concept, just as some don't like Lizards. If there's any army I would like to face or acquire the least, it's them by a margin to make Curiosity pale.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. - S. Clemens

www.tablepott.de - Wir sind das Ruhrgebiet!
www.rheinerftliga.haarrrgh.de

Offline Engineer Edward

• Members
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2012, 02:06:49 AM »
Most Appealing:
Empire: I was always really into the Holy Roman Empire during history class, I love the outfits and I was enticed by the ability to be good (although not the best) in every field. That I can like the struggle of the common Imperial man to fight other armies, which are either stronger, faster, more numerous, etc but the Empire still prevails! (I could go on and on..)
Warriors of Chaos: I like to think of each one struggling to be the best, whether by combat, favor with the gods, etc. That I am a sucker for models with lots of armor and especially capes! (I try to even give my Empire characters capes if they don't have them - distinguishes them from the ordinary soldiers)
Bretonnia: I like the chivalry and knights aspect but I doubt I would play them unless they get a lot of stuff Empire doesn't have.
Orcs and Goblins: If I was get a third army it would probably be these guys, I like their randomness and the variety between the units you can field. Although I don't really care that much for Goblins though...
Vampire Counts: Honorable mention for these guys, pretty much only because they're undead Empire.

Least Appealing:
Skaven: I may be biased after losing to them multiple times, but (my friend and Skaven player) always says how their engineered items is supposed to be the best (I highly beg to differ). I also just hate the idea of little rats scurrying around everywhere, when in practice besides the Grey Seer its all of the weird tricks and unique units that really overpower you in battle (Hell Pit Abomination, Warp Lighting Cannon, etc)
Lizardmen: (The same friend also plays this too and I've my share of losses  :icon_rolleyes:) I just find them to be bland. Yeah dinosaurs are cool and all, but I don't like the idea of mindless soldiers (they're made of from piles of goo in the jungle apparently) just meant to serve some fat guy in a chair who flies around and zaps people because they're blocking him from seeing his favorite reruns on TV. (Plus he could at least share some of those drinks he's obviously hiding in his chair's secret compartment!  :icon_smile:) Although I do have to give a hand to them - the Carnosaur is cool.
Wood Elves: Yeah skirmishers in the forest is a cool idea, but I could never play them. I like a more organized force.

Offline Brad_The_Reiklander

• Members
  • Death To The Heretics!
    • http://www.facebook.com/bradley.barnes.102
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2012, 06:17:57 AM »
Since I'm brand new to Warhammer, and have only used one army thus far, I'm probably a little biased, but here goes.

Favorite Skaven - I like the nifty toys that they have, but they play similarly to my Orks from 40k. I've won a few fights against WoC based on numbers. I took out the wizards with some dang good shooting from my Engineers, but my Clanrats and Plaguemonks really ate up the rest of the Army. TONS of attacks.

Least Elves of any kind. They seem to be beyond my current Skill set.

I would like to try to give EVERYTHING a short run, but Skaven are a lot of fun to play, and the Empire seem like an army I can REALLY sink my teeth into.
"What I like best about a siege is that there is nowhere for them to run..."
Witch-hunter Zacharia Schmundt

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2012, 06:21:42 AM »

Least Elves of any kind.

I think I will get along with you very well  :::cheers:::
― Thomas Paine

• Members
  • Death To The Heretics!
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2012, 06:35:14 AM »

:::cheers:::   Never been a big fan of Elves in nearly ANY fantasy setting.

Offline Holy Hand Grenade

• Imperial Tactician
  • Members
  • Never leave the Province without it...
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2012, 09:37:30 AM »

Yeah, but they sure are fun to KILL.   :evil:
If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

HHG's TDG/TEG Dice Tracker

• Members
  • Death To The Heretics!
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2012, 02:29:04 PM »

Yeah, but they sure are fun to KILL.   :evil:

:biggriin:  That they are.