home

Author Topic: [EDITED] Discussions regarding Elder Dragons and my campaign.  (Read 1193 times)

Offline Sigmars Faithful

[EDITED] Discussions regarding Elder Dragons and my campaign.
« on: February 25, 2013, 07:12:27 PM »
I am looking for a reasonable way to deal with an Elder Dragon in a campaign that starts today at my LGS.  Besides the usual method of a barrage from the cannon battery (and prayers to Sigmar for good luck) what other ways would you deal with a massive dragon?  My initial idea was to grab a captain with Van Horstmann's Specuulum, mount him on a pegasus, and meet the terrible beast head on in the skies.  For that matter, a Warrior Priest on warhorse could attempt the same.

My question is as follows:  Can one issue a challenge against an Elder Dragon? 

My gut is telling me no but I am hoping there is a chance I am wrong. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 01:20:06 PM by Sigmars Faithful »

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Attorney-at-RAW
Re: Question - Can an Elder Dragon accept a challenge?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 07:21:37 PM »
The speculum works only for challenges. Only characters (including champios) can issue and/accept challenges. Unless a Monster is ridden by a character, it cannot be involved in a challenge. Even in a challenge, chances are you will be eaten for breakfast.

Bad manners to include links to commercial sites, I must add.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline BBorN

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 07:25:47 PM »
What elder dragon are you referring to? Personally, if I were going dragon hunting, I would take Karl Franz with with Ghal Maraz and clobber him. Hell, maybe have him ride his own dragon!
It's not the size of the Herdstone it's how you use it

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 07:39:10 PM »
Bad manners to include links to commercial sites, I must add.

I see no such links, but this is the second time today I have seen a post referencing such links. Is there a virus going around which is causing individual words to display as links to commercial sites?
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

• Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 07:46:21 PM »
I have links with "My question" and "chance" - sometimes they are only visible when you move the cursor moves over it.
If it is a virus, I obviously retract my comment.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 08:12:16 PM »
I see no such links, and I have seen viruses do this before. It might be on your PC, or it could be on the forum itself. The virus I got would put links in text - but not always. So, a sentence like "I was able to muscle through thanks to the Greatsword's stubborn and FPA" might contain a link to a protein drink on the word "muscle".

• Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 08:43:43 PM »
Did a virus check on my PC - nothing found.

Offline Sigmars Faithful

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 09:05:09 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  At 2000 pts this challenge may become difficult.  Hmmmm....

As a follow up, I posted no hyperlinks.  I smell the stink of chaos in the works...

Offline Cpt. Wham

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 09:05:21 PM »
I'm not seeing any adds either. 

• Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 09:45:37 PM »
They seem to be gone now.

Offline The Peacemaker

• Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 10:36:07 PM »
Nope, still there for me. I've seen it on other sites like facebook.
The word 'virus' linked to some anti-virus stuff.

I saw it on facebook first so I thought it was an advertising gimmick for facebook to make some money since everyone is running add-blocker these days.

Typically with things like this is the sites that are infected with a virus. Like when you get emails from people that contain virus's - those are typically on the email site then they infect your computer.
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline The Peacemaker

• Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 12:06:13 AM »
Its called 'Text Enhance'.

It can be a virus but its also an ad-on for your web browser. You have to go into the options and disable it.
Just google 'advertisement link virus' and a ton of solutions come up on how to fix it.

Then restart your browser.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 12:08:50 AM by The Peacemaker »
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline Sigmars Faithful

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 01:16:55 PM »
Another follow up:

Last night was our first game in a 10 week campaign.  The Empire was victorious as Drexelious the Resolute stood against a Daemonic horde with his Ostland expeditionary force.  The men were eager to prove themselves and not a single unit fell.  Moving on.

There is a special scenario a player may attempt once per campaign...they may attempt to pilfer some fancy loot from a pair of Elder Dragons (from the Forge World Monstrous Arcanum I believe).  The general idea is you enter the board from a 30" section of your table edge.  A unit must reach the treasure on the other side of the table and exit the same 30" area they entered.  If that is accomplished, the army gains one uber-l33t magic item for the rest of the campaign (and man are they exceptional).

A whole pile of gold and Empire points (currency used in the campaign to build more settlements/ mines, conquer more tiles, etc...) are obtained if one fells an Elder Dragon while raiding its cache.  The Elder Dragon is just a monster in combat and eats anything The Empire has.  Also, the Dragon's can cast a spell which summons more lesser dragons to the battlefield.  Things can get a little out of hand quickly.  How would you go about obtaining the treasure?  The games are 2000 pts, but gold can be spent on a per game basis to increase pts for that game.

I was thinking of an all cavalry list with MSU of knights, as many units of pistoliers as I can, and a couple of Captasus'.  My goal would be to race as fast as possible to the treasure and overwhelm the mighty beasts with numbers.  If I am lucky, one brave soul may make it out.

Any other suggestions?

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
Re: [EDITED] Discussions regarding Elder Dragons and my campaign.
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 06:01:52 PM »
You can't just cannon the thing in the face? I'd seriously add a cannon or three in there. S10 d6 wounds spoils anything's day.

• Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 06:09:28 PM »
If anyone can, cannon can.   :-D

Offline Ambrose

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 06:28:57 PM »
Distract the dragon with talk about giving it a virus, then steal it's treasure.   :happy:

Seriousely, I think Empire with combine arms could still deal with this single model right?  I mean, have cannons to wittle it down, a large bus of halberdiers (I mean, like 5x10 at least!) to engage with it.  Flank it with a solid unit of knights or demigryphs.  This will have to be done TOGETHER so make sure you do your best to coordinate.  Death magic from a lvl 3 on a flying horse might help too.

I don't know what rules/stat line the dragon has, but usually they don't have a ward save, so high strength items (cannons, lances on the charge, etc.) should do the work IMO.

Sounds like an awesome campaigne.  Any rules that you guys are williing to share as I am hoping to organize a campaign for the summer and really like the idea of figthing a dragon as a 'side' quest for each army.

Let us know how the empire fares.

Ambrose
"Faith, Steel and Gunpowder"

Offline zifnab0

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 09:10:01 PM »
3x cannons
2x steam tanks
1x Light Wizard Lord
3x Light Wizards

Some halberds to fill out Core.

Turn 1: Cannon the dragon.  Cast buffed magic missiles.
Turn 2: Cannon the dragon.  Cast buffed magic missiles.
Turn 3: Victory!

Offline Sigmars Faithful

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 03:06:29 PM »
I forgot to mention, the dragon has a special rule which reduces all multiple wounds to D3.  So, cannons are going to deal a max of 3 wounds per firing.  At 10 wounds and 2 dragons, the cannoning can hopefully bring one down but will still leave the other rampaging terror eating all of my horses.  :Ohmy:  The dreaded things also have a 4+ ward save.  It's a tough scenario for sure.

I wish I could just show up with 6 cannons and 6 Engineers...
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 03:08:40 PM by Sigmars Faithful »

Offline BBorN

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 01:36:55 PM »
I forgot to mention, the dragon has a special rule which reduces all multiple wounds to D3.  So, cannons are going to deal a max of 3 wounds per firing.  At 10 wounds and 2 dragons, the cannoning can hopefully bring one down but will still leave the other rampaging terror eating all of my horses.  :Ohmy:  The dreaded things also have a 4+ ward save.  It's a tough scenario for sure.

I wish I could just show up with 6 cannons and 6 Engineers...

Dude, thats scary...what I would do is find the prettiest model in your army, preferably a female, tie her to a post in the middle of the field and let the dragon have his way with her. Then use the distraction to run like hell
It's not the size of the Herdstone it's how you use it

Offline PhillyT

• The Old Ones
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 03:02:21 PM »
YEah, cannons are about the best thing in the game for removing large scary things.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.