home

Author Topic: Colleague is looking to get into 40K...  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Aldaris

• Members
Colleague is looking to get into 40K...
« on: July 15, 2013, 08:49:57 PM »
...and wants to start with a 1000 points army (which he plans to expand later). He mainly wants to do it because of the hobby aspect, so he wants to strictly only use models he really likes. He's chosen Blood Angels and asked me to put together an effective and fun to play 1000 points army. He pointed out he liked the Sanguinor, Astorath, the Sanguinary Guard, Death Company, Assault Marines, Stern- and Vanguard Vets, Furioso Dread and the Lord Executioner Models.

After asking him, he said he was kinda fine with the Baal Pred, Scouts and Drop Pod. He hates Land Speeders, Rhinos, Bikes, Trikes and isn't too fond of regular Marines and the Land Raider. Haven't asked his opinion on Terminators.

I think I'll suggest the following to him:

***************  1 HQ  *************** 

Librarian
- Jump Pack
- 1 x Bolt Pistol
- 1 x Force Axe
- Shield of Sanguinius, plus something offensive. Blood Lance or Sword, propably.
 - - - > 125 Punkte
(use the Model of Astorath - why not? There's no jumper Librarian model to my knowledge, and Astorath looks very Blood Angels-y and has a nice Axe too)

***************  2 Elite  *************** 

Sanguinary Priest
- Jump Pack
 - - - > 75

Furioso-Dreadnought
- Paired Blood Claws
- Heavy Flamer & Melta
+ - Drop Pod
 - - - > 170

***************  3 Troops *************** 

Assault Squad
10 Assault Marines
- Jump Packs
- 9 x CCW
- 7 x Bolt Pistol
- 2 x Melta
+ Sergeant
   - 1 x Bolt Pistol
   - 1 x Power Claw
 - - - > 225

Scout Squad (something cheap to sit at home)
5 Scouts
- 3 x Sniper Rifles
- Missile Launcher
+ Sergeant
   - 1 x Bolt Pistol
   - 1 x Sniper Rifle
 - - - > 85

Death Company
5 Death Company
- 1 x Thunder Hammer
- Jump Pack
 - - - > 205

***************  1 Fast Attack *************** 

Baal Predator
- Twinlinked Assault Cannon
 - - - > 115

1000 Points

Anyone have alternative ideas, given the constraints stated above?

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
Re: Colleague is looking to get into 40K...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 08:25:11 PM »
Good list, but I would caution him about hating on standard marines!  Cheap and iconic!
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 09:28:19 PM »
I'd caution him about hating on lots of things on his hate list, but hey - that is apparently how he feels, so whatever.

I feel this list is propably too light on scoring, but since there's only 3 choices really - ASM, Tacticals and Scouts - and since I think a second ASM squad would be too boring for someone with his criteria I don't think I can do a better one...

Offline Dosiere

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 09:29:33 PM »
I am nowhere near knowledgeable enough about 40K armies or Blood Angels in particular to comment on little things in your list, but it seems like you did a great job of trying to include what he wanted in a viable list.

I think you should go with it and let him play a few games with it.  He'll have a good idea of where he wants to go after that.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 10:06:57 PM »
15 scoring models is probably ok in 1000 pts. You could always take Dante and Sang guard if needed, he makes them scoring and isn't on the hate list is he?

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 10:14:40 PM »
No, he's not - that might be an option, albeit a more expensive one points wise. Dropping the Pred, Libby and Death Company and replacing it with Guard and  Dante should just about work out points wise. Lose one AV13 tank, retain about the same cc punch (if you factor in the libbys powers) and gain a scoring unit.

I'll suggest that to him as an alternative way to do this, thanks! Then he can decide for himself.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 10:16:25 PM »
I was thinking the same thing.  Three at 1000 isn't bad, especially since you have some strong anti-scoring options in the list to remove the enemy.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 10:37:06 PM »
It's a shame Death Company can't be made to score in some way.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 10:44:37 PM »
Yeah, if Lemartes or Tycho could do that DC would be a must take! On the other hand  - 5 Death Company with a Thunder Hammer is the same as 5 'nilla Terminators, and I think the DC is more generally fun and useful, is very mobile and can chase down after winning a fight - and both units don't score.

I like DC. FNP on top of 2 attacks base plus rage and furious charge and 2 ccws means they hit like a ton of bricks. Plus, the models are fucking awesome.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 11:03:45 PM »
I've never really looked that closely at them, but I just did and they really are nice models aren't they!

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 11:18:16 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I like them and love the models, just wish there was an (expensive) way to make them score, even if it relied on say having Lemartes alive AND in the unit at the end of the game - so just that unit could score. Or something to do with Astorath, whatever. Bit of variety.

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
  • A mind without purpose walks in dark places
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 12:51:08 PM »
Death company are awesome.  Insanely good value for their points and a must have inclusion in any Blood Angels list IMO.  Also, if you are not picking the unique BA units, you might as well play Nilla, so thats another point in their favour.  I maybe wouldn't have forked out the points for jump packs in such a small points game though.

The list seems sound, 15 scoring models may be a little light but at 1000pts it should be acceptable. 

Stare into the Abyss and the Abyss stares back.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 02:02:12 PM »
I think all that extra stuff will be able to damage the opponents ability to hold objectives, so it might be alright.