home

Author Topic: The Empire of Sonnstahl ... what is it?  (Read 5265 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
  • Summer has arrived! : )
Re: The Empire of Sonnstahl ... what is it?
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2016, 05:08:25 PM »
That would be GW. :icon_wink:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline DariusZero

• I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2016, 07:23:44 PM »
Just GW's? That would be silly.

Isn't 8th being played that way?  I mean  officially.
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2016, 08:46:23 PM »
Could depend on who is doing the officializing.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Finlay

• C'mon Son
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2016, 10:42:43 PM »
GW stopped running tournaments a long time ago.

They tend to stipulate to use GW only models if playing in GW stores...
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Online Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2016, 01:13:09 AM »
The very first article of GW's Warrior Code (2014) stipulates: 1. All your miniatures have been produced by Games Workshop (Citadel, Forge World or Warhammer Forge).

But events/locations that are not GW itself usually allow mixed armies.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2016, 02:04:13 AM »
The Empire of Sonnstahl can't be that silly.

Offline Naitsabes

• Never slid
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2016, 05:33:01 AM »
My impression from their not-Tomb Kings book (the only one that's fully done at this point) was positive. As in they kept it recognizably close to GW background. So, I am confident the Empire of Sonnstahl will be the same quasi-German/HRE place...with mangled German place names, just mangled differently than what GW did 30 years ago. Sonnstahl is a good start. It doesn't mean anything in German, outside of a poem it isn't even properly formed (should be 'Sonnenstahl'). so yes, looks like they are on a good way.
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 6Feb2021 - Handgunners, building and more

Online Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2016, 08:45:22 AM »
Well, it does mean something in German (Sunsteel): it is just a neologism.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline DariusZero

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2016, 09:39:59 AM »
So you can play with whatever figures you have and you can invent your own fluff and characters. As long you stick properly with the rules? That's quite revolutionary then. Will the forum also have the painting section?
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2016, 10:00:58 AM »
So you can play with whatever figures you have and you can invent your own fluff and characters. As long you stick properly with the rules? That's quite revolutionary then.

It's not revolutionary around here. And we make house rules too so no 'proper sticking'. :icon_biggrin:
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2016, 07:21:54 PM »
So you can play with whatever figures you have and you can invent your own fluff and characters. As long you stick properly with the rules? That's quite revolutionary then.

I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not.

That was the way of most fantasy gaming until around WFB 4th. Once GW became the biggest game around and started using that as a marketing tool (and eventually denying that they were even part of a larger hobby/market.) Other companies tried to follow suit. But even then, there have always been a lot of games independent of figures, and the gaming group I played with fir a very long time never got bothered about who made the figures as long as you could tell what type of unit it was.

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2016, 09:45:29 PM »
Yep, wouldn't call it "revolutionary" around here.

Offline DariusZero

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2016, 11:14:49 PM »

I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not.

That was the way of most fantasy gaming until around WFB 4th. Once GW became the biggest game around and started using that as a marketing tool (and eventually denying that they were even part of a larger hobby/market.) Other companies tried to follow suit. But even then, there have always been a lot of games independent of figures, and the gaming group I played with fir a very long time never got bothered about who made the figures as long as you could tell what type of unit it was.

It was slightly sarcastic, since I believe in the freedom of choice ( down GW, bad boy!) but also not. I don't play outside my home ( which means I don't play at all) but I know from visiting loccal tournaments in Slovenia, that people only play with official miniatures, at least as far as I could observe. So in my area it is revolutionary, also because availability of other manufacturers out of ebay is almost zero.

It will be interesting to see what kinds of figures will people come up with.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2016, 12:30:13 AM »
I am a bit put off by them making a new setting to be honest.
I believed it was about making a new set of better rules for the old setting, nog making something new.

Hence I feel I either stick with 8th ed, because then I do not have to re-think the background for my units, my heroes etc.

And I am a true Stirlander. True Stirlanders remains Stirlanders and loyal stirlanders. We do not go and become whimpy Sonnstahlingers. We remain what we are until hell freezes over.

I have bought the gamers edition of Kings of War and consider buying their new rules covering "forgotten kingdoms" That is armies ditched from other systems.

The gamer edition is fine since till does not give me a new setting. I can film that in myself and send Ramesesis Reavers or Mathi Alfbluts Stirlanders out to war.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2016, 12:34:37 AM »
And by the way, I would like to have Rufus write a bunch of Warhammer Empire lists, proper lists, for us to use.

That works with 8th ed. And lists for each state.

I decree that you are to playtest them at Eurobash. That is Sigmars will.

Arch lector Mathi Alfblut
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Calisson

• Bar Brawlers
  • From Druchii.net
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2016, 12:58:07 AM »
Mathi, if ever you play 9th Age, nobody will prevent you to play an army of Stirlanders.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2016, 02:42:15 AM »
If one is willing to accept filling-in WFB fluff to KoW, there's no reason not to accept filling it in to AoS or any other game -- unless there's some strict campaign or other reason that friends/opponents would have a problem with it.

Offline Baron von Klatz

• warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2016, 05:34:13 AM »
You're just the tabletop sage tonight, aren't you,  ZeroTwentythree? :biggriin:
"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline S.O.F

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2016, 05:26:51 PM »
Hints we already received about 9th Age fluff:
- more inspired from Earth's history than GW's WH 8th
- fits present unit's appearance.

Empire of Sonnstahl will be the most important human nation, located in the middle-north part of a continent resembling Europe, speaking a germanic tongue, at a stage of civilization equivalent to early Renaissance.
There will be Knightly Orders, infantry, artillery, wizards, priests, inquisitors, engineers.

What will change are names: no more Sigmar, Karl Franz..., Averland, Nuln..., runefang, hurricanum..., or familiar lores and spell's names.

While I don't doubt this is their goal, I do find it at odds with the idea they have just doubled down on the 8th edition book entries which were by in large a step further away from the more grounded older Warhammer mashed with more real world example type settings. I mean starting from scratch one can do a much better job writing in the Demi-Grifs as opposed to the 8th shoe horn but the rosters as composed currently still suffer from 8th edition 'gameification'.

I mean can't Necromantic/Vampire armies get their Skellies with bows or crossbows back or are we to just stick with the VC have no shooting phase nonsense that has proliferated over the past 15 years for the sake of gamey faction 'diversity'.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Finlay

• C'mon Son
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2016, 05:29:18 PM »
down with gypsy wagons, up with halflings and dwarfs!
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Zak

• Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2016, 11:12:06 PM »
well then, this brings a slight smile to my face
This is how Liberty dies, by the sound of thundering applause.

Offline Baron von Klatz

• warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2016, 11:32:05 PM »
Oh, you'd definitely like it, Zak. You should give 9th age a try if you can spare the time. Lots of interesting things going on in their forum. You should probably try to give your outlook on what the future Empire should be while it's still under development.

I do the same thing over there with Bretonnia (far too many people wanting professional foot troops and peasant equality for me not to give my opinion against it :eusa_sick:), no telling if what I say and vote on will have any effect but it's worth a shot. :-)

down with gypsy wagons, up with halflings and dwarfs!

I'm afraid those things, along with pikes, are being saved for a future dogs of war project.
"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2016, 11:14:56 AM »
S.O.F - I agree completely. Legacy crap that has accumulated, and legacy gold that was discarded will continue.
And BvK basically verifies it by saying that halflings are being saved for a dogs of war project.
9th age is sounding more and more like a 9th edition, which some people really want, but to me keeps carrying on old mistakes in new ways.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2016, 05:21:50 PM »
9th age is sounding more and more like a 9th edition, which some people really want, but to me keeps carrying on old mistakes in new ways.

Since the 3rd edition, this is what we heard with every new edition.

I think you're 100 % correct that it's a WHFB 9th edition, and some want it and others don't want it. A common thing in hobby life.

What matters, I think, is that the 9th ed forum has brought together a large number of WHFB players who are interested in the continuation of the game AND a gaming community. That's a spirit which will, eventually, help to keep even this community alive, and new members joining.  :-)

About the miniatures, the 9th Age forum has a special sub-forum to suggest miniatures usable with the system/setting. No GW figures mentioned, but otherwise it's up to each and everyone to show what they'd use. Lots of independent one-man firms presented.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.