home

Author Topic: 9th Edition , Bring our Ya Militia !  (Read 3770 times)

Offline mr chumley warner

• Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
9th Edition , Bring our Ya Militia !
« on: October 08, 2016, 03:24:01 PM »
Militia gents, back on the menu !

4pts per model, can take a unit of up to 60.... Can replace paired weapons with bows or pistols...

I just trayed up 4*40 OOP GW 1985-7 Barbarians, Militia, Vikings etc... HAHA

I'm gonna run 4*40 units, it's 920 pts , plus warrior priests on top for the hatred,

imagine how fun this will be lol  :::cheers:::
Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline Artobans Ghost

Re: 9th Edition , Bring our Ya Militia !
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 04:31:52 PM »
This sounds like my type of rabble!  Can't wait to see!
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Gankom

• The World Builder
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 04:54:08 PM »
The militia kit was by far my favorite thing GW made. So many options, the parts went well with so many other kits. You could make some incredibly unique dudes with that.

Just how old is that kit? Early 2000's?

Offline Cannonofdoom

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 05:56:58 PM »
I run a unit of 10 with skirmishing and pistols and it's very effective at clearing forests of pesky scouts and redirecting angry deathstars.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 07:17:41 PM »
To be fair I'm just starting to read through the 9 th edition rules , but immediately I feel that empire may have come off well , lol, reiksguard foot knights , crazies at ten pts , militia four pts,  mortars s3 , lovely
Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline Cannonofdoom

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 10:40:07 PM »
They're not terrible. Didn't make out as well as the Vermin Swarm or the Dwarfs, but we're fairly well balanced with a lot of tools.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 08:49:43 AM »

First published with Mordheim, in 1999. IIRC, there were 8 Human Mercenaries in the basic box. And Accessories, and possibly a White Wolf Knights sprue too. Never had the original box intact...

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 01:20:13 PM »
What do you think about the merits of a large unit armed with pistols?

Offline Xathrodox86

• He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 02:10:55 PM »
The militia kit was by far my favorite thing GW made. So many options, the parts went well with so many other kits. You could make some incredibly unique dudes with that.

Mine too. They've released it to supplement their Mordheim range I think. I have a soft spot for this kit, especially for the head with the pirate bandana. Used it on many a kitbashed model myself.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 02:43:56 AM »
I liked the goatee with hat and feather.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
  • Summer has arrived! : )
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 03:50:38 PM »
Agreed on the variety, and certainly make it into my top five for GW kits.

With my Aver River Regiment, my militia are made up of a of river patrol dudes, and a unit of highway patrol dudes.  The highway patrol dudes all have been modeled with the long coat bodies and carrying black powder, pistol or blunderbuss.

Maybe there is a copyright date on the box?  I'll check when next home.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Artobans Ghost

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2016, 08:33:36 PM »

With my Aver River Regiment, my militia are made up of a of river patrol dudes, and a unit of highway patrol dudes.  The highway patrol dudes all have been modeled with the long coat bodies and carrying black powder, pistol or

A quote like your aver river regiment screams pics!
This sounds very cool!
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2016, 09:30:28 PM »
What do you think about the merits of a large unit armed with pistols?

Pistols don't have Volley, so cannot shoot from 3rd or further ranks. Very broad units are clumsy. Also, there's only one supporting attack from any rank beyond the front rank. All of this means, for me, that Militia tends to be at its most useful in smaller units. Also, they die easily and their Ld is bad, so they tend to lose against many opponents. You need a character or two to make a big unit viable, and then the cost factor creeps in. Usually you can put your character into more effective units and you want to keep those units within the range of your General & BSB.

That was theory. I'm sure big Milita units can have a role.

What I'd like to try out is around 20 Pistol Militia with a Captain w/pistol. 6x3 or 7x3. Full command and no Skirmish, so they're a cheapish scoring unit (able to take objectives). 200 pts at most. That's a unit the opponent cannot ignore, and cannot decimate or rout just like that with a cheap unit of his own. He has to fight them. The unit shoots OK, and the Captain has that Order to make them more effective in any situation. And Ld 8, which is a huge boost for a Ld 6 unit.

Painting Pistol Militia to get there. :)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline patsy02

• Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2016, 01:26:11 AM »
My favourite was Lenin.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2016, 02:37:47 AM »
My favourite was Lenin.

He sees a lot of play in my armies too actually.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Xathrodox86

• He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2016, 09:45:02 AM »
My favourite was Lenin.

I also use Lenin in my armies a lot. He's a cool fellah.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline The Peacemaker

• Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2016, 10:58:55 AM »
With the way volley fire works you can take a unit of 60 with bows and as long as the front row is in range, they all can shoot. .....and 60 isn't that expensive.

Its not too OP because as non-parent units they can't get orders so its more difficult to make them hold and give any bonus's. But you can still put a preacher in the unit to get some prayers off, and it should be steadfast for a bit.

And it gives me something to do with all the Bret bowmen I have. :)
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline Cannonofdoom

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2016, 05:04:45 PM »
With the way volley fire works you can take a unit of 60 with bows and as long as the front row is in range, they all can shoot. .....and 60 isn't that expensive.

Its not too OP because as non-parent units they can't get orders so its more difficult to make them hold and give any bonus's. But you can still put a preacher in the unit to get some prayers off, and it should be steadfast for a bit.

And it gives me something to do with all the Bret bowmen I have. :)

I've also been thinking about this.

And a naked Inquisitor with brace of pistols in my skirmishing pistol units to really make them annoying. You can ignore ten guys with pistols in the woods. You can't ignore 10 guys with pistols and one guy with pistols that have lethal strike and multiple wounds d3. He would also help protect them from fireballs.

Offline Rowsdower

• Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2016, 03:17:46 AM »
Am I too late to take part in this?
The militia kit was easily one of my favourite kits GW ever made. Thanks to that box set, I have a British Indian Imperial guard army as well as a pirate themed and Conquistador themed Empire armies. Its a pity the box set is being discontinued.

There is also nothing funnier on the table top than seeing a large group of enemy units, being held up by half a dozen militia men