home

Author Topic: Konrad's State Troops  (Read 21288 times)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re: Konrad's Spearman Conversions - Brainstorming and Progress with Pics
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2017, 06:27:07 AM »
Loving seeing kitbashes of the old 6th ed models. Who would have known at the time that they were the peak of their empire plastics? Well for state troops anyway.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2017, 06:11:34 AM »
The two first ranks have been assembled:

I'm rather satisfied with the result, though I didn't manage to make proper use of the guy making a low thrust, so I re-glued his right arm to make him do a mid-height underarm thrust (first guy from the left, second rank). I made a particular precaution to make sure the guys still rank up when placed as they are now, even if the musician or the champ gets displaced out to the edge.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2017, 09:07:41 AM »
Love it how the second rank reaches forward with their spears!  :eusa_clap:

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Lateksimajava

• Members
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2017, 06:05:56 AM »
Very good job with the spearmen! Great kit bashing! Maybe you should use a bit more of the new heads (maybe 50/50) so they would blend in better.

:eusa_clap:

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2017, 08:29:30 AM »
To be fair there are no double heads yet...
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline tangocbear

• Members
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2017, 12:59:35 AM »
Not a huge fan of spearmen, but I like these - well-posed and good variety.  Love to see how they paint up.

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2017, 01:21:09 PM »
Project temporary on hold due to shortage of glue. 15 guys have so far been ranked up, with another 8 awaiting basing.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2017, 01:50:01 PM »
Without a glue, are we?
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2017, 11:14:04 PM »
Glue stockpile has been replenished, and further conversions and kitbashes been made, now I'm up at four ranks:

Just two more ranks left. The remaining guys will all be back rankers with spears at rest. Five of the ten remaining guys have already been built, some of them are already shown in previous pictures.

When this unit is done, I'll have two units of spearmen and two of swordsmen, all 30 strong. I'll probably sooner or later likewise do a unit or two of halberdiers.

I was thinking, it would be useful to have a few generic or semi-generic far back rank figures that could go into two of the three, or all three, of the state infantry types, so I can temporarily increase unit size if I need to. Make them mostly stragglers of different kinds. A swaggering drunk who holds a bottle and who has lost his weapon. A wounded guy leaning on a broken weapon shaft (could be either from a halberd or spear, since the top bit has been broken off). Two guys carrying a third on a stretcher. A dispatch runner bringing a scroll with orders. That sort of thing.

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2017, 11:56:59 PM »
In other news, I'm seriously considering redoing all unit champions on my previously made state infantry units to have greatswords. Such a fitting champion's weapon  :happy:

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2017, 11:58:25 PM »
Looks very dynamic. If ypu want to fill ranks, do not dismiss the idea of appropriate unit fillers.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2017, 11:28:49 AM »
I remembered that Warlord Games has some landsknecht wounded and some looters:

https://store.warlordgames.com/collections/landsknecht/products/landsknecht-casualties
https://store.warlordgames.com/collections/landsknecht/products/last-rites-landsknecht-wounded
https://store.warlordgames.com/collections/landsknecht/products/landsknecht-looting-party

I suppose the looters would be guys who have gone AWOL to do some unauthorized looting, had to quickly rejoin the regiment without being able to stash it, and who are hanging at the back of the formation hoping they won't see action so they'll be able to hold on to the lot.

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2017, 09:24:37 PM »
The entire unit has been converted.

Right side:

Straight from the right and lower:

Left side:

Rear-right:

edit: re-uploaded on Imgur

Conclusions so far:

-The 6e State Troops box the pinnacle of Empire infantry plastics. Not just for making swordsmen (which I already have 60 of) or halberdiers (which I have none yet of), but for converting all kinds of things. Since the swordsmen and the halberdiers have different arms, you get loads of bitz that can be used for conversion.

-The 7e State Troops box isn't bad, not on a bit-by-bit basis. It complements the 6e State Troops neatly, when used with care and in moderation. The bodies with torsos and fixed legs aren't bad at all when mixed in with other plastics to mitigate them being unipose. It goes particularly well together with 6e arms. The 7e spear/halberd shaft isn't bad either, just the non-puffy arms are. If you cut those away, the shaft is good for a number of purposes.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 09:45:22 PM by Konrad von Richtmark »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2017, 10:09:50 PM »
Great stuff! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

My one constructive critique ... the two guys thrusting over the front line, they'd probably still have their right hands in the same position as when the spears are from the waist.  The right hands currently are in more of a throwing action than a stabbing action, and with likely less force being able to be achieved as a result.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2017, 10:42:12 AM »
Well, I don't really know about proper technique for overarm thrusting with spears. I largely had to work with what bitz were available too. Those spears and the hands holding them are actually dark spearelf standard pole bitz, only with the spearhead cut off and another attached to what would be the bottom end of the standard.

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2017, 07:51:39 PM »
Having put such effort into converting a unique unit, I feel a bit pensive over the fact that most things it encounters would wreck it in a straight-up fight.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2017, 08:49:39 PM »
Depends on who and what your playing a game with at any given point. :icon_wink:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2017, 01:34:16 AM »
Having put such effort into converting a unique unit, I feel a bit pensive over the fact that most things it encounters would wreck it in a straight-up fight.

It never held TVI back!

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2017, 09:50:32 PM »
The spearmen have been undercoated but nothing more for now. I've been painting with shorter-term gaming needs in mind (i.e. getting to the point where I can field a tourney-capable army I want to play). More precisely, I've painted some swordsmen to increase two existing units of mine up to 30. I thought I'd show the figs here, rather than start a new thread, since the spearmen are to be painted in the same style.

edit: re-uploaded on Imgur
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 09:47:14 PM by Konrad von Richtmark »

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2017, 09:51:58 PM »
I have to say, the 6e plastic spearmen models really aren't bad at all, once you can see past them being unipose. Situationally and used in moderation, they make for some decent conversions.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2017, 12:25:54 AM »
I agree. :::cheers:::

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2017, 04:00:13 AM »
I agree. :::cheers:::

Me too. Something i haven't done much of yet though.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2017, 09:56:10 AM »
Yes!

More!

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
Re: Konrad's State Troops
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2017, 10:53:39 PM »
Note the edited thread title. I decided I might as well keep all my state troop painting in one thread, since the painting style is largely the same. The converted spearman unit is still on the shelf in nothing but undercoat. Near-term gaming needs and the ability to play in tournaments gets priority. Thus, I've mainly painted handgunners recently. I'll soon have some ready units to show.

In other news, I recently traded a bunch with Zygmund, which changes my supply situation, particularly when it comes to 6e swordsman shields, which I want to use both for swordsmen and spearmen. Consequently, I've decided to rehabilitate an old 30 strong unit of 6e unipose spearmen, some of the first models I ever painted. Replace the round lion shields (which I don't like) with 6e swordsman shields. Replace some heads for variety. Improve the painting and harmonize it with the rest of my army. Most significantly, I'd try out something I've done on the handgunners: Stagger the ranks. On the handgunners, I glued each front rank guy towards the left edge of the base, and each second rank guy towards the right edge. Consequently, when I rank them up, the second rank guys stick out their guns and shoot between the front rank guys. I could do the same thing with the spearmen. That'd make them look like they mean business, like they're in actual combat formation trying to project a spearwall. A bit the same idea as with the other spearmen I recently converted and showed, only that the unipose nature of these models would make the formation look more regular and organized.