home

Author Topic: First warhammer fantasy list "victory = MORE HORDES" 2506pts 8th ed. *everything  (Read 3000 times)

Offline hamster

• Members
  • doesn't have pictures of the sprue
                                  Lords: 520pts
Battle Wizard Lord: 200pts
-lore of death
-magic items: healing potion
-level 3

Kurt Helborg reiksmarshal 320pts
-runefang
-laurels of victory

Hero's: 337pts
Battle wizard 85pts
-lore of life
-magic items: sword of battle
-level 1

master engineer85pts
-Hochland long rifle

war priest 127pts
-sword of bloodshed
-heavy armour

witch hunter 60pts
-brace of pistols
-magic items: enchanted shield

Core: 565
25x halberdiers 160pts
-standard bearer
-musician

10x handgunners 90pts

25x spearmen 225pts
-handgunners 10x
-standard bearer

10x swordsmen 80pts
-standard bearer

Special: 628pts
x3 demigryph knights 174pts

Great cannon 120pts/mortar 100 (because Magnets)

x10 reiksguard knights 334pts
-champion

Rare 510pts
Helblaster volley gun 120pts

helstorm rocket battery 120pts

steamtank 270pts
-hochland long rifle

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 05:01:02 PM by hamster »
There is no wrong state to play as, except for middenland

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
Re: First warhammer fantasy list "victory = MORE HORDES" 2372pts 8th ed.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 06:17:39 AM »
Against killy vampire characters, how about the Mirror?

It's somewhat dependant on hidden lists. How do you play?

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline hamster

• Members
Re: First warhammer fantasy list "victory = MORE HORDES" 2372pts 8th ed.
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 03:06:31 PM »
I tend to play by locking my opponent into a position where they can't win or are very unlikely to do so, mainly trap segments off and take out small sections before they can use the collected power of there army to do any damage at all. 

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Is the core allowance 'legal' for 8th ed 2,500 pts?

How do you accomplish your tactics? Do you outdeploy your enemy, do you have a ready deployment scheme in mind? Seems you need to be somewhat aggressive to keep the initiative. Against VC, this list can probably accomplish that, because the VC don't have much shooting. So you have time to advance and position. Does your opponent play the fast/flying/very hard hitting units in the VC book?

Would you need stronger line infantry to lock your enemy into position - especially if he has strong units/characters, with numerical supremacy? Kurt Helborg likely rides with the Reiksguard. You need to be careful to have his General's Leadership bubble to cover your bulk infantry.

Your list definitely has many components, and is strong with characters and artillery.

What's the idea with a Lvl 3 + Lvl 1? Why Sword of Battle for a Lvl 1 Life Wizard?

I haven't looked into 8th edition for a long time, so cannot suggest special magical items or the like.

-Z

Offline hamster

• Members
most likely the fact, that I have, never really played a game of fantasy, I found the rules decently cheap and was always interested in building an army, so that most likely affects how exactly I set things up, most likely to deploy infantry center, to protect my "wonderful" selection of wizards, then have the artillery, set up on a hill, protected by some swords men (possibly archers) I see what you mean about the lv. 1 life wizard with sword I examine what would work better, perhaps remove the war priest to add some more proper infantry blocks make the 25, 30 instead.

the opposing force, consist of Alot of skeletons and zombies, with a few necromancers, and a couple of more elite infantry and monsters, my plan really consist of using my infantry to block the core infantry while my demigryphs and reiksguard slow down the elites and monsters until my cannons/a good day for the knights, to take out the necromancers, so the army will begin to crumble, this might not be the perfect design, as I have no plans for if there are flying units, but should hold well enough, I have not gotten a good proper read of the rule book yet but considering helborg would be leading his knights, would having 2 generals fix this.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
I think at this stage the most important, funniest and most rewarding thing is to play the game.

You have a solid plan for deployment, and you have firepower and cavalry wings to try to flank/encircle your opponent. It's a plan, and better than many. How plans survive reality is dependent on the game you play, and we on this forum might never grasp how your list functioned or why.

I'd say if you feel your list or plans utterly fail you, THEN we might help you to find more strengths & synenergy.  :-)

If you have the opportunity, take some pictures of your games. One for each turn (so 6 of yours, and 6 of your opponent's). And maybe a snapshot of some focal points. If you find you faced problems with your list or tactics, you have some documentation, and we find it easier to give advice.

As for advice, I'd say you could somewhat upgun or - maybe more importantly - protect your warrior priest. He's going to be in the midst of combat, and his bound spells can be very good to bolster your line infantry and burn some undead. Also, in the 8th the buffs for your main unit transfer to the supporting detachment(s), so you can really reap the benefits, if you get any bound spells trough. So I'd say you want your priest to stay alive at least a couple of turns. Give him a magical weapon, because if he has to face an ethereal, he's better off that way, and can somewhat help his unit.

Note: this is a little bit biased. I've never played with two wizards (big + small), and I always take/took warrior priest(s) in every edition since they were invented. So my advice is anchored to my style. :)

-Z

Offline hamster

• Members
Thanks you for the advice, I will post the final edit, then it's just a matter of testing it. :happy:

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Have you read this:
The 8e Empire Handbook

And the top three sticked threads here:
The Tactica Board
  • Tactica: The Griffon Formation
  • Tactica: Balancing an Empire Army
  • Theory: The Tao of the Empire

Some of that is down-to-earth practical, some long-winded and philosophical.

I'm pretty sure you can find some battle reports and/or youtube videos about 8th ed Empire playing against the VC. The quality wavers, but you always learn something. (Any video or report about the Empire done in 2012-2015 is probably the 8th ed, with the 8th ed armybook.)

-Z
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 06:29:29 AM by Zygmund »

Offline hamster

• Members
I will take a look at those, thank you for noting those

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Welcome - even though I seem to smell a rat for some reason....

Some incoherent remarks:

- Upgrade your wizard lord to lvl 4: for 35 points you get +1 to cast/dispel and another spell - that is a bargain. Rather than a healing potion, I would give him the Talisman of Preservation.
- Drop the magic sword on your lvl 1: it will not do him much good, and you do not want him in CC anyway. What you do need and he is best choice for is a dispel scroll.
- Consider using the same lore for both wizards. Under 8th edition rules, that allows you more choice in spells.
- You can drop the HLR on the engineer. The only real use he has is giving his BS and re-roll to the HVG - in which case he cannot use the HLR anyway.
- Your WP cannot take the Sword of Bloodshed, as it is 60 points. You would not want to take it anyway. The WP has a supporting role: for that he needs to survive - equip him for survival (e.g. Enchanted Shield).
- A WH with a brace of pistols cannot use the Enchanted Shield in CC. If he is in a unit, he is unlikely to ever need it against shooting. Give him the Ruby Ring of Ruin, as it will retain the Killing Blow special rule against the Accusation  target.
- The 10 swordsmen are better used as a Detachment. They will profit from the Detachment rules, and, at the very least, you'll save the standard bearer points.
- Give the DGK and the Reiksguard Knights a musician: 10 points for swift reform, +1 to rally, and no loss/victory in case of a tie - that is more than a bargain.
- I assume you will put Helborg in the Reiksguard Knights? In that case, you might just as well save 20 points by taking IC Knights, as Helborg will make them Stubborn anyway.
- The Hellstorm sucks is a subpar choice. 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 10:22:34 PM by Fidelis von Sigmaringen »
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)