home

Author Topic: Pyrates of the Karribean--Dead Man's Hand (A Mordheim campaign)  (Read 11630 times)

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
Pyrates of the Karribean--Dead Man's Hand

Flying the Mordheim flag!
However, my group rarely plays in the City of the Damned.  Instead I prefer to campaign in the wider Warhammer world.  Pyrates of the Karribean is perhaps even farther removed from the City of the Damned, taking place in a campaign setting that was originally an on-line roleplaying game run by Kaptain Blacksquig and Gamespoet. 

I am afraid I don't visit very often, so I am posting a campaign that is on-going. We met Thursday, March 1 to inaugurate a new campaign:

Players and Warbands:
Chris S-- Estalian Corsairs (Satrosa setting warband)
Jim L--Sartosan Pyrates (Satrosa setting warband)
Jim S--Estalian Corsairs (Satrosa setting warband)
John D--Undead
Kevin C--Marienburgers

The Karribean setting combines some elements of the old Cities of Gold Mordheim setting with a more recent Sartosa: The Pirate Isle setting.

Press Gang!
The Mary Anns versus the Estalians.

The three warbands were competing for a possible 10 drunks after hours on a Torktugan night.  The crew of the Valeria Rojas began to the west of the pestilent drinking house known as the Sow's Ear.  The other Estalians were to the east; with the Mary Ann's off to the north.

Despite some set backs, the crew of the Valeria Rojas arrived near the bar first.

A Tired Sentry event popped a swivel gunner up on the Estalian flank.  But its a dark night and the tired sentry can not see Juan and Rodrigo attack that drunk.  The sentry can only hear their screams...

A lone drunk relaxes in a rowboat.  This seemingly harmless drunk will defeat Chris' Estalian Captain and a Crewman...

To the north another solitary drinker is peppered with crossbow bolts by Mary Anns on the bridge above...

Chris' woes continue as these worthies cut down a drunk on the bridge (drunks been removed already, killed)

The New Estalians flee after their captain is taken down by the Drunk Under the Bridge.

The Mary Anns close in on the Sow's Ear.

Mary Anns attack the crew of the Valeria Rojas.  Here Enrico the gunner is saved by Fransico.

The New Estalians broke with the Captain and one henchman out of action.  Neither died.  The New guys find a crate of gunpowder.  They killed one drunk and captured one.

The crew of the Valeria Rojas broke with Al Bobo, Juan and Gunner Rodrigo out of action.  Al Bobo was hardened by his injury.  Juan and Rodrigo recovered.  The Old Estalians captured two drunks and happened across a third in Exploration.  All three were sold to the galleys of the Governor of Port Sigmar.  In addition the Old Estalians opened a crate of food which contained a smuggled dose of Manticore Spoor...  They also captured Olbs the Marienburger who joined the crew.

The Mary Anns lost Olbs captured.  They had 2 or three total casualties, but captured 2 drunks and won the day because their rivals fled.  Go Mary Anns! (We had to explain the advantages of winning to Kevin because it had been awhile...)
The Mary Anns gain the services of an Ogre Bodyguard who is returning a favor.

The press gangers encountered 6 Angry Drunks out of the possible 10.  The drunks took 2 heroes and 2 henchmen out of action.  Only half of the drunks were captured, one was killed. 
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Fancy Meetin' YOU 'ere!
An inebriated variation of Chance Encounter in which the New Baywatch meet the Undead

As you may or may not remember Jim L ended the previous campaign by rolling the worst result on the Pirate Curse table. 
http://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t8993p50-pyrates-of-the-karribean-vi-a-dead-man-s-hand#135419

His warband began this campaign new and improved with converted or specially purchased models to reflect a new approach.  For the first game Jim was facing an Undead warband, but the scenario was Chance Encounter and the time of day was daylight.  What could possibly go wrong?  The event Rowdy Drunks, that's what.

25 Rowdy Drunks
D3 Angry Drunks stumble out of the building nearest to you, looking for a fight. Thereafter on each of your player turns, another angry drunk stumbles out the door. They keep coming out until another player rolls a 1 to gain a random event.

Sadly for Jim, most of his warband was in a building...  Here his crossbow armed Captain Flashy faces the first 2 drunks on the roof...

Two turns later there are 2 more drunks... and this happens.

Jim flees with 2 heroes and 2 henchmen out of action.  No drunks were harmed.  One henchman dies.

The Undead did not get close enough to the pirates to attack them, but they win.
Here's a photo of the starting warband

In exploration both warbands attempt to buy lucky charms from the Torktugan vendors (all items purchased at Torktuga are stolen, so we use the Buying from a Fence rules from the Arabian Merchant.  Mr L bought 2 lucky charms, both fake.  The Undead also tried to purchase lucky charms, both fake.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Rock the Boat
A nautical Defend the Find in which the outnumbered pirates are surrounded by Undead...

Once again it is a nice day in Torktuga.  The New Baywatch is hunkered down on a ship.  There are Undead all around them...

The event Storm of Chaos is rolled:

3.     Wyrdstone dust has mixed with the water vapor in the area and produced the strange looking clouds from which a tainted rain begins to fall. The rain burns flesh and eats into stone and metal. Each warband member in the open takes a single S2 hit (normal armor saves apply) every turn the rain lasts until he gets under cover. The rain lasts D3 turns.

Here we see the affect the rain has on the Undead.  All those T4 ghouls down!  A wolf and the necromancer!  Looks bad, eh?

Well fear not, because the pirates will be broken by the rain.  Floppy a Pirate Mate is killed.  The Pirates do gain 3 treasures from the Find when they rout...

The End of Week One.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 05:39:07 PM by Von Kurst »
“Why is the rum always gone?” -Captain Jack Sparrow
"It is, it is a glorious thing To be a Pirate King."
 -Gilbert, Sir W(illiam) S(chwenck)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Pyrates of the Karribean--Dead Man's Hand (A Mordheim campaign)
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 05:53:22 PM »
Love seeing this!  And good to have it happening in Da Karribean. :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 06:17:18 PM »
Thanks GP.   Its like the 7th Karribean campaign or so, but I skipped a year and I was missing the place.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The Dead Man's Hand--Week 2

We were all 5 present for another week!
Chris--"The New Estalians" (So called because Chris never names his warbands)
Jim L--"The New Baywatch" (Because they were the Baywatch last campaign, too.)
Jim S--"The Old Guard, Old Estalians or the Crew of the Valeria Rojas" (Because I didn't have a good name for a warband and I played Estalians in the last campaign)
John--"The Undead" (John may have a name for his warband, but he's never said...)
Kevin--"The Mary Anns"

Pressgang!
The New Baywatch, Mary Anns and New Estalians go after drunks after dark...

The New Estalians began the evening in the east.  Again there are eight of them (there were 8 last week too, perhaps the wounded Captain was more severely injured than I was led to believe...)

The photographic urge was spurred by the event Collapsing Building which brought down the Three Sisters Bordello, which the Mary Anns happened to have started in...  Here are the ruins with the intact building set aside off table.  (One hero was crushed by the rubble)

The New Baywatch were off to the west.

The high rated Mary Anns press on.  (That drab guy by the corner of the building is a drunk.)

Floppy II and Shark Bait attack a drunk

But things start to go south... Here Little Billy is not so lucky

Then its Shark Bait's turn...

Then the Mary Anns start to get in the act

The New Baywatch flee (which ended the photographer's interest in this particular fight.)  No one dies for the Watch which should have been a good thing considering that they had captured 3 drunks successfully, but Mr L can and will snatch defeat from many sources, so his attempts to buy Lucky Charms continued to go south.  Two more fakes are purchased.  Little Billy will miss the next game...

The Mary Anns were suffering from the shock of the building coming down.  Despite some luck in pushing the Watch out of their territory, the Mary Anns were broken by the significantly out-numbered and outgunned Estalians.  :suspect:   The Mary Anns acquire a jeweled sword and dagger in Exploration.

The New Estalians snatch victory from almost certain defeat (they were outnumbered by the Watch, let alone the Mary Anns).  The New Estalians find a Treasure Map in a capsized rowboat  :suspect:
Rock the Boat
A nautical Defend the Find wherein the Undead outnumber the Old Estalians

The Old Estalians began on the ship (find)

Here Al Bobo, the Moor and Rodrigo play with three ghouls

The evil Necromancer guides his zombie slaves toward the ship...

The invisible crowd flees from the Undead (and knock a few down)

Things go poorly for Rodrigo

The end is near.  Soon the Old Estalians must flee the Undead.  There are too many to fight.

The Undead manage to survive 2 blunderbuss shots and various pistol shots unscathed.  The Old Estalians take three cargo and leave.

Rodrigo died.
Al Bobo suffered Horrible Scars.
The Old Estalians hired Rodrigo II and bought a handgun because all the gunners gained Ballistic Skill advances rather than become a hero.

The Undead gained some good rolls, but then had to rush off for home.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Rock the Boat Again
This time the poor Bay Watch are trapped on the boat.  Naturally this does not end well.

The first shot from the Old Estalians new handgun takes the Bay Watch Captain right out of action.  Boom!  It doesn't get any better after that for the Bay Watch.

However no one dies and they gain 3 cargo from the ship's hold before they flee.  One more fake Lucky Charm is found before the night ends.

The Old Estalians suffered no casualties.  Two more handguns are found to arm the Firing Squad and a Leviathan Hunter returns a favor.  Oh and a crate of jewels is opened.  The Old Estalians find a fake Lucky Charm, too. 

(I've found 2 fakes out of 6 searched for.  Mr L has found 4 fakes out of 9 searched for and still has a Charmless hero...)

Thus endeth Week 2...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 06:23:57 PM by Von Kurst »

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 07:00:54 PM »
Great thread and game! The board and characters are crazy. Never heard of this skirmish game but it doesn’t surprise me GP was involved 😺
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 09:34:43 PM »
The skirmish game is called Mordheim, and those guys playing here are long time players of this older GW system.

My only involvement with this activity is being minimally responsible for helping Kaptain Blacksquig create the Karibbean environment, yet most of the credit is really his.  I only helped during the online campaigns we've done using the environment created mostly by Kaptain Blacksquig.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 03:48:13 PM »
Thanks for the kind comment Artroban.

Dead Man's Hand--Ports o' Call

[The original Karribean game had lots of possible locations to visit.  For our campaign I have reduced ports to 2: Port Sigmar and Torktuga.  Torktuga is a pirate haven.  Port Sigmar is a stronghold of the Imperial Alliance.  In our campaigns there are special rules and advantages for playing games at specific locations. Kevin is playing the only warband that would want to visit Port Sigmar regularly, but his schedule was making it hard for him to arrive early enough to go through the pregame sequence so he had joined games in progress for the first two weeks.]

Kevin made Game Night at near the regular starting time, so he was finally able to force pyrates to visit Port Sigmar.  With predictable results...

Sirrah, Ye Lie!
The crew of the Valeria Rojas visit Port Sigmar, suffer indignities and profiling from the local Shore Patrol.  Mary Anns to blame.

A crowded market square in Port Sigmar. (The crowd is invisible, but hinders movement and range of vision.) The Mary Anns have hired an ogre...

My Bounty Hunter runs into the Big Guy as the Shore Patrol closes in.

More of the damn law show up to roust the innocent pyrates.  Like we were fighting an ogre, but pyrates are the monsters.

The mere sight of the armed and armored Shore Patrol bearing down broke the Estalians.  No casualties were suffered by either side.  The Mary Anns become rich. 
Hijacking in Torktuga
An attempted hijacking in Torktuga sees Sartosans gain gold.
The New Estalians attempted to relieve the Bay Watch of a cargo.  Surprisingly the Bay Watch refuse to roll over.

The Bay Watch heading for a port rendezvous.

The Bay Watch's ship comes in.  There are lots of New Estalians between the ship and the cargo...

Mrs Wolfgang (in black) directs the cargo toward the ship.

They take the back alleys of Torktuga

While the rest of the crew try to hold up the Estalians

Daring deeds on a narrow walkway...

Desperate battles

The cargo nears the ship

Quote from: Jim L
Gunner, Junior died.
The Bay Watch win though and gain 21 gold, 3 treasures, A Badge of the Free Traders and a Whalebone Charm.  An Ogre Bodyguard named Tiny returns a favor.

Quote from: Chris S
A cabin boy named Ezra died.
The New Estalians hire Ezra II and console themselves with another great find in Exploration.
Pressganging in Port Sigmar
The Bay Watch end up trying to raise crew in Port Sigmar

The Mary Anns follow the ogre.  Its night, there's a crowd and there are 8 drunks to recruit! (You the viewer have to imagine both the darkness and the invisible crowd.)

The Bay Watch on the move.  Also following an ogre...

Panoramic Port Sigmar

Accosting drunks

Which spooks the invisible crowd, who then rampage through the Mary Anns

The gunner captures a drunk.

The Bay Watch advances

Tiny fights the Mary Anns, like nearly all of them

Tiny goes down (Note the Shore Patrol has arrived.)

The Mary Anns don't get far.  Near the end, the Bay Watch captures the last free drunk.

Shark Bait the Cabin boy was captured by the Shore Patrol but died from excessive brutality in captivity.
 Ogre Bodyguard Tiny died on his 1st battle.

On the bright side, Captain Flashy saw promise in Gunner Bruno 2, and promoted him to a hero. (Need to build a new model now)
 The Tilean marksman, Mario, got Quick shot for his 1st advance!
 The warband’s heroes searched for a 3rd blunderbuss after the battle and found one!
 Captain Flashy, with his Badge of the Free Traders, haggled 9gc off the price, and it was still a good one!

A crate was opened and 3 droughts of Grog were found.
 Another crate was opened and a set of Toughened leathers was found.
 (I am beginning to get a fierce hatred for rolling food & clothing on the Booty Chart.)

Kevin wins with a healthy dose of help from the local cops (again).  The Bay Watch captured 5 drunks and killed 2.  The Mary Anns captured one drunk.  Their Ogre Bodyguard was killed by Tiny early in the fight. But they won 2 games in one night.
Another Hijacking in Torktuga
The New Estalians learned from their earlier mistake.  The Old Estalians had to be the attackers this time. (We tend to roll repeats of scenarios)

The game began with the event Sirens Song.  The lads carrying the New Estalians' cargo succumbed but just got closer to their goal...  Then everyone resisted the Sirens' song and the race went on.

The Old Estalians forge through the invisible crowd, who are doing their best to impede the pyrates.

The New Estalians are almost there

The Old Estalians are left in the dust

The final confrontation.  The New Estalians are going to win, but a little blood may be shed...

The Old Estalians suffered no casualties.  They did find some useful cargo lying around and hired an Arabian Merchant named Ali bin Ali to sell it for them.

The New Estalians win!  They didn't find as much gold as the Bay Watch, but there were 3 treasures in the cargo plus the usual Whale Bone Charm.  The one git who went out of action got better.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 04:29:38 PM by Von Kurst »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 05:32:58 PM »
I love the scenery! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 10:46:00 PM »
Thanks GP!  Glad you like it.  The Goblin Town stuff is new to us.  I've been bugging Jim L to paint it for a year or so, and he finally bought an air brush to play with.  That and the Laketown set are really useful in ramshackle ports.
Dead Man's Hand---Duels on the High Seas
The campaign works like this: we all begin in towns.  There the warbands skirmish with rivals and lay in supplies to explore the Karribean.  After a couple of weeks of desultory skirmishing, all warbands must venture forth on ships to begin their adventures.  So this week all the warbands engaged in a round of exchanged pleasantries.

Chris--"The New Estalians" (So called because Chris never names his warbands)
Jake--"The White Dwarfs" (Because Jake primes his models white...)
Jim L--"The New Baywatch" (Because they were the Baywatch last campaign, too.)
Jim S--"The Old Guard, Old Estalians or the Crew of the Valeria Rojas" (Because I didn't have a good name for a warband and I played Estalians in the last campaign)
John--"The Undead" (John may have a name for his warband, but he's never said...)
Kevin--"The Mary Anns"

Somewhere south of Torktuga near the Cayman Straights
The Old Guard attempt to steal a cargo from the Undead, but the Vampire uses the dark of night to pass unseen, almost...
It was so dark, no camera recorded the first skirmish.

The men could hear the creak of rigging, the sound of waves hitting a hull. They could see nothing on the moonless night. Then the darkness lit with a cannon blast from the starboard. Arrows flew out of the night to slam into railings and masts. All hands stood to with their eyes straining into the night.

Suddenly a ship hove out of the night: her rigging in tatters, her hull rotted.  Bone gleamed as a sailor turned his face toward the Estalians. Then sparks flashed as a gun misfired. The guns of the Valeria Rojas roared in reply. The ghost ship shuddered, then slid back into the darkness.

The pesky Undead snuck up, fired a few ineffective rounds, then caught a favorable wind to escape. The Vampire and his zombie minions could see 6 inches farther than the poor humans, so they tried to snipe from the darkness. Sadly for them, their gun misfired. The Undead win since they were able to limp off my table edge before the Estalians could score another hit with their amazing cannon of killyness. (The Valeria Rojas took the Undead ship to 7 damage (out of 16) with only two hits!  Dueling at point blank range is dangerous.)

No one was hurt on either side (besides the ghost ship itself, but it got better). The Undead retreated to Torktuga with their cargo. The Estalians found themselves with a Friendly Merchant with whom Ali bin Ali did a brisk business, including the purchase of a half price brace of dueling pistols!
The Dog Latitudes
The Bay Watch scuppers the New Estalians

So the Bay Watch spent some coin on a hired sword recently.  Mario the Tilean cleaned up.

No one went OOA (out of action) on my side in game 1

Mario the Tilean had 3 enemies OOA in his 1st 3 turns!

I captured a gunner from the New Estalians[/size]

Both the victors and the vanquished found themselves at Torktuga to trade.  The New Estalians gain some sweet equipment from opening cargo...   Oh I remember now, they took their loss and went off to search for lost treasure (with a handy Treasure Map) and gained 3 extra cargo crates!  (Campaign rule: wyrdstone=cargo crates, which can be 'opened' by rolling on the Booty Chart instead of the normal Mordheim income chart.)
So they lost the fight but won the war.
To the Leeward of Lost Kay
The Old Estalians encounter those pesky White Dwarfs

The White Dwarfs got the wind and the first shot, fortunately they missed with the cannon.  But a gunner with a handgun went down on the Estalian ship.  Pesky crossbows...

The Estalians closed as quickly has they could, bleeding missile troops all the while.

Here Almah attacks an enemy gunner.  Al Bobo fails to save a friendly gunner with a blunderbuss. Francisco has fallen overboard between the ships.

The Estalians (rating 224) fled with five out of action, including the cabin boy Juan de Palma.  The henchmen and hired swords all recovered, but Juan was captured.  The Estalians found a friendly merchant to trade with.  They sell some cheap booze and find a Halfling Cookbook.

The White Dwarfs (rating 149) lost no one (at least some of them were out of action).  They retire to Port Sigmar where Juan is handed over to the Law...  (The Dwarfs are the other warband in the campaign who call Port Sigmar home.  Captured Pyrates may be handed over to Imperial Council instead of being ransomed.) The White Dwarfs gain much wealth and experience (+2 Underdogs).
The Weather Gauge
The woes of the New Estalians continue...

The Valeria Rojas caught the wind and leaped at the distant upstarts.  The first cannon shot damaged the New Estalians' rigging bringing them to a crawl of D6" per turn and nearly breaking them with the first shot. (Nearly half damage to the ship.  Half damage equals a break test.)

The New Estalians wallowed along trying to use their Tilean to good effect, but no joy.  The Valeria Rojas suffered a couple of misfires which prolonged the agony, but eventually the Old Guard closed to blunderbuss range...

The New Estalians broke with 5 out of action (including a gunner eaten by a shark).  They suffer one death and a gunner is captured) They return to Torktuga to lick their wounds and gain more black powder weapons and new recruits.

The Old Guard gained a Captain's Log in Exploration (five 2's on the Seas Exploration chart), however they totally fail to catch a wind and end up lost at sea...  No one died.  The captured gunner is demoted to crew, but joins willingly enough when offered the choice.

In other news: Juan will be hung in Port Sigmar in three games.
Off Baitfish Kay
The Bay Watch bombard the Dwarfs next.

White Dwarfs were the lower rated warband and had 3 cargo on their ship.

Wind changed about 6 times in probably 7 turns, always with on "6" (counterclockwise)

Someone [who could that have been  :engel:] talked me into shooting my cannon and it blew up, taking the gun crew OOA.

So we shot dwarves with crossbows. Knocked down the 1st one, he fell out of the ship and the fall took him OOA.

Then shot and stunned 3 more. They all fell out of the ship, and they all failed to wake up and drowned (OOA).

Shot and knocked another one out of the ship. A shark ate him.

At the end of the game we thought Jake got off the board to win, but forgot he had to make a rout test first.

He rolled boxcars, so I won!

Jake had 3 deaths.

My cannon crew survived and Ship's Mate, Floppy II, became hardened

The crate I opened had a Blunderbuss!  Yay!

Again both combatants retire to the appropriate town to refit and spend cash...

Since the Valeria Rojas is lost at sea, next weeks games will be fought at the Sea/Rivers location or Jungles for those who are not lost...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 11:13:36 PM by Von Kurst »

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 12:21:37 AM »
Incredible battle reports. I love the narratives and the warbands. Starting to like this system too much!😸I
Keep em coming!

Edit: the water effects are fantastic. How long does a game / scenario last?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 01:18:58 AM by Artobans Ghost »
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 01:45:45 PM »
I love everything about this thread. There are pirates, there's Mordheim and a great narration to boot. These minis and tables are great as well. Splendid job sir!
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2018, 02:53:13 PM »
Where did those dwarf pirates come from?

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2018, 03:09:02 PM »
@Xathrodox86 and Artobans Ghost--On behalf of the committee, I thank you both for your kind words.

How long does a game / scenario last?
A regular Mordheim game lasts anywhere from a half hour to an hour depending on the scenario and level of the warbands involved.  If you add a lot of stuff, like I do, it takes a bit longer :engel:
And we are getting older as a group, so now we have to stop and look up basic rules, too.
If you have 3 or more players all bets are off, as someone is bound to get a call; become involved in a text or just wander off.

Where did those dwarf pirates come from?
Well when I typed insert quote I thought I knew, but now I can't remember the company.  One of those cat names... Black Cat?   No  its Black Scorpion, nothing to do with cats.
Dead Man's Hand--Lost at Sea
Jim L, Chris, Kevin and I were on hand for another evening of battles on the seas.  Since Kevin missed last weeks introduction to ship fights, he had to play the scenario Duel on the High Seas at least once.

As the Estalians were just lost, Mr L got to roll for a scenario if he chose (he could've also chosen a special scenario that he 'found' in exploration).  He rolled on the scenario table:

The Haunted Wreck
The Bay Watch race the Old Guard Estalians to explore an old wreck.

The race. (The old Guard have already lost one gunner to long range missiles from the pesky Bay Watch).

The Old Guard board first. 

The undead crew appear and attack... (Sadly ALL the skeleton pirate miniatures we own are left at various homes this evening [we play at a local store]. Skeletons with scythes are pirate crew with cutlass and pistols, the zombie or is it a pit fighter? Whatever, it is a Wight Captain with peg leg, cutlass and pistols and the Mage Knight ghoul is another Wight Captain armed with 2 swords and a parrot)

Ricardo (Ricky) y Ricardo fires a blunderbuss into the Bay Watch flotilla... (wins the game and gains 4 experience!)

Crossing the T--blunderbuss style. (I guess it would really be dotting the I.)

The Bay Watch flee with 6 models out of action.  A gunner is captured, Mario the Tilean and a crewman die.  Little Billy gains a peg leg (eventually, his was smashed).  The Bay Watch gain 1 Pirate Curse Point.

Captain de Guzman, Ricardo and Francisco gain lots of experience from cutting down undead and Bay Watchers.  The Cursed Treasure is meager--21 gc.  (I rolled mostly 1s in determining loot as opposed to all the 6s rolled to parry, wound and for injuries...)  The victorious Estalians trade with a friendly merchant...  The Old Guard gain +2 Pirate Curse Points...
Duels on the High Seas
An exchange of pleasantry between the New Estalians and the Mary Anns

The New Estalians send an iron greeting

The Mary Anns brace to receive

The new shooty New Estalians had 51+ on the 149 rated Mary Anns (Kevin has missed a couple of weeks).  The Marienburgers shooty heroes are no match for the Estalian handgunners, Long Rifle and Tilean. 

Win to the New Estalians.
Near Soteck's Gullet
The defeated but not destroyed Bay Watch gets whittled down a bit more while winning...

The Watch defiant

An exchange of pleasantries

Men overboard! Mary Anns go for a swim

Mary Anns' gunner is lunch

Boarding action!

The Mary Anns fail their first rout test! 

The Marienburgers lose all of their cannon crew (4 models) and an additional 2 crewmen over the two battles.

Quote from: Kevin
Flag Guy survived both games and advanced twice!

The victorious Bay Watch had only Captain Flashy and Mate Floppy II out of action.  Floppy II dies of his injuries...
Somewhere larboard of Tzunki's Foot
The 'New' New Estalians ambush the Old Guard Estalians

Chris has upgraded his gunners with 3 handguns and several blunderbusses, but what really hurt was the quickshot Tilean and an LGT gunner with a Hochland Long Rifle...

The Old Guard's first shot blows a cannon sized hole in the Valeria Roja's side. Misfire!

Two game turns later, the Valeria Rojas has come completely about.
Gunners overboard!  And Shark!

Trying to save the day

The Valeria Rojas strikes its colors with nearly all of the crew shot ooa or bitten by sharks.  Somehow none of the crew or hired swords dies, but of course the trauma of defeat causes the crew to become Lost at Sea...

So... Our next meeting will consist of more nautical action.

The New Estalians delivered their cargo to Torktuga, gained much gold and even more guns and powder...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 03:20:44 PM by Von Kurst »

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2018, 03:03:26 PM »
Dead Man's Hand--Curses

This week there were five of us again!  Which also means we had three player games (which go slower...)
Jim L and I had picked up a Curse by daring the Haunted Wreck, this week (4/5/2018) by the end of the night only the New Estalians would not suffer curses.
But first:

X Marks the Spot
An Island variant of Hidden Treasure

The first thing that happened was Floppy III got shot out of action.  Remember that Lads got Talent hero Chris has? With a Hochland Long Rifle?  Jim L forgot.  (Some might argue this is enough of a curse...)

The Bay Watch press on

The Firing squad just keep reloading...

The coup de gras

Mrs Wolfgang used to be tough...

I lost, so my Swabbie tried to run away but instead, he died.  Served him right.

Gunner Junior 2 was captured. Along with his blunderbuss.
 Junior III will have to make do with just a sword for a while.

LGT Gunner Bruno II was captured! Since I only had 2gc in my kitty, Chris traded him back without his blunderbuss.

No casualties are reported by the New Estalians.  Just more blunderbusses...  Which I suppose was good, because the treasure chest was mostly dust and rags. 
The Island Temple
John rolled in a bit late so a two player game became a three player game.  The Mary Anns, Undead and Old Guard discover an abandoned Lizardman temple that has been desecrated by Clan Pestilens

The Mary Ann flotilla

The Undead are very close to the Old Guard.  Honest I told him where my blunderbusses were.

The Mary Anns shooting

Ricardo's boat gets in the Undead flank

The Undead are hiding from Mary Anns

The Undead flee with two heroes out of action.  Then Estalian boats start sinking... and crocodiles appear...

The horrible firing line

Snipers in the jungle somewhere

Boats keep sinking

The end is near.  The daemon fights Almah and Al Bobo.  (As usual I discover I left the Plague Bearer at home) I am removing the poor Bounty Hunter who never hurt anything for the whole fight.

The Old Guard fail a rout test with 5 or 6 out of action and two boats sunk.

The Undead lost the Dreg named Bone Collector and a ghoul killed in action.  The Undead end up Cursed and Lost at Sea to add insult to injury.

The Old Guard lost Gunner Gomez and the pressed crewman Bratz killed.  The Curse increases in potency because the Old Guard actually activated the daemon.
Good news: the Old Guard end up trading at Torktuga!  Woot!  And they find a crate of handguns!  Woot! Woot!

The Mary Anns declined to fight the guardian (but were Cursed anyway), but win the river fight.  They retire to count their gold.
__________________________________________________________________________________
The Hulks
The Undead, Bay Watch and New Estalians battle over a maze of wrecks

The New Estalians' lead raft challenges a crocodile...

The Bay Watch challenge for the top wreck

A bitter battle for the wreck

The rest of the Bay Watch line

The Undead march unopposed

The New Estalians mass to challenge the Vampire (and escape the crocodiles)

The Undead break the New Estalians (who had a hero on that bridge...)

The New Estalians lost the fight with the Bay Watch, then the crocodile sank a raft, then the Vampire hit them.  New Estalians flee.  One crew is eaten by a crocodile.

The Bay Watch ended up facing their former blunderbusses and winning, but then got smashed by the Vampire/Dire Wolves combo.  However, no one dies.

After “finding” a few crossbows for me, I had to let Marvin the thief go. His upkeep was keeping me broke.
New Tilean Marksman, Mario 2, got his 1st advance and it was a skill. Hooray. 
Quick Shot - not a surprise there.

Exploring afterwards earned a sword, dagger, and a rusty pistol.

The Undead suffered no casualties, won and made lots of gold.  They replace their earlier losses and head for Torktuga!

Since no warband is Lost, our next meeting will take place back in port. (A cause for celebration among all players.)

Campaign progress so far:
Curses!
The Old Guard have 3 Curse Points
The Mary Anns have 2 CP
The Bay Watch and Undead have 1 CP

Exploration
In order to 'discover' the Lost City of Tlax a warband must win 5 exploration scenarios (fights at sea or in the jungle)
The New Estalians have 3 wins
The Bay Watch have 3 wins
The Old Guard and Undead have 2
The Mary Anns and White Dwarfs have 1

« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 03:30:37 PM by Von Kurst »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2018, 03:41:20 PM »
Fabulous reports! :::cheers:::

Somebody has done nice painting of the Marienburgers. :eusa_clap:

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2018, 04:21:58 PM »
Wow!  This game has got me hooked entirely. It will be awhile before anything is ready but I need to investigate this. Funny enough pirates never really grabbed my interest until this. Now I understand 😸

I see another warband made up of gp’s (my new colours) Matoreans getting in on the trading.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 04:24:19 PM by Artobans Ghost »
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2018, 04:53:35 PM »
Thanks GP!  Kevin was especially proud of them that evening, he had just touched up several of them that week.

Wow!  This game has got me hooked entirely. It will be awhile before anything is ready but I need to investigate this. Funny enough pirates never really grabbed my interest until this. Now I understand 😸

I see another warband made up of gp’s (my new colours) Matoreans getting in on the trading.
Very happy you are enjoying the thread.  If I can be of service, don't hesitate to ask.
Dead Man's Hand--Back to Torktuga
We had all five players arrive for game night two weeks in a row. (These games happened 4/12/2018, the dwarfs seem to have been an aberration as I haven't seen Jake since the one evening.)

Down on the Docks
The New Estalians race the Old Guard to rip off smugglers

The Smugglers  cower on their ship as some Nordland Marines show up to arrest the New Estalian Captain... (I rolled the event Shore Patrol on my first turn.  Thankfully the Shore Patrol ended up nearest the New Estalians)

Boom!  That blunderbuss takes 2 Marines out of action and knocks the third into the bay.

The New Estalians gather to ambush the patrol

The Old Guard muddle around in the crowded streets

The ambush is sprung!

The (invisible) crowd flees the fight (knocking down some of the reserves).

Meanwhile the Old Guard counter attacks some upstarts

The short fight in the center breaks the New Estalians who fail their first rout test.

The Old Guard press on to rout the Shore Patrol and  wipe out the Smugglers (who fight to the last).

The New Estalians lose one crew, killed by the Shore Patrol Captain.  They capture one of the smugglers and one of the Shore Patrol Marines.  Both are sold as galley slaves.

The Old Guard lose Olbs the Marienburger killed by the New Estalians.  The Old Guard capture one of the Smugglers (pressed as a Swab) and all of the Smugglers cargo (mostly food, booze and clothing with some gunpowder thrown in.)  Exploration yields another Swab (passed out drunk) and an additional crate with a dueling pistol!
The Great Torktugan Bar Fight
The Undead, Mary Anns and Bay Watch duke it out in the infamous Blow Hole in a Last Orders scenario

We went with the suggested 30 man maximum in the bar. With each player taking turns, we each chose one hero then one henchman (no animals) and back again until we each had 10 warriors.
 Myself and the Undead both got caught trying to sneak daggers into the bar on our 1st try.   [Bar fights are between unarmed combatants, but a player may try to smuggle in a dagger or two.  Warriors who are caught are ejected from the bar, so the Undead and Bay Watch only have 9 warriors left at the start of the game). Fortunately, this time I started (smuggling in daggers) with a henchman.
 The Mary Anns smuggled 3 or 4 daggers in before they stopped trying. Mary Anns had Bugman's ale, too.

On the ground floor, the Undead's Dark Elf Assassin (all black) charged in 1st but was taken out after a few turns.

Vampire was in the dinning hall on ground floor with Necromancer and one Ghoul.
 I had 2 guys hiding in the kitchen.
 The Marienburgers had 4 or 5 by the stairway (including all his daggers).

The vampire went after the Mary Anns and with help eventually took them all ooa. But not before they got the T5 vampire down to one wound.

" />

The vampire then faced off with my one hero and one henchman. Both pirates attempted to charge but only the hero made it. The vampire made short work of him.

(My Captain is Ld8 and everyone else is Ld7.)

2nd floor saw Captain Flashy and 3  mates (Gunner Junior 3, crew Bear 2, and that other guy) hiding in the bedroom under the attic hatch.

Empire had 2 in the door of the building entrance to the stairway.

Undead took the stairway overlook and strung along the outside.

A single Ghoul charged the Empire in the (chapel) building doorway and was held up for many a turn.

Empire was outnumbered on the 2nd floor and was eventually overcome.

Pirates were outnumbered on the 2nd floor with no way to go down, they all went up into the attic.

In the Attic was a lone ghoul by the trap door, 4  pirates in the middle and 4 Empire on the outside end.

Mrs. Wolfgang was chicken so gunner Bratz 2 (axe boy) charged the ghoul and fought on until help arrived. 

Bratz 2 had a tough time wounding T4 ghoul without a weapon. (No weapon = s2, needs a 6 to wound.)

Captain Flashy climbed up from the 2nd floor bedroom and eventually charged in to help.

While this ghoul fight was going on, the Empire saw an opportunity and charged Floppy 3.

Floppy 3 held out and Mrs. Wolfgang joined in.

In the darkness of poor overhead lighting and an attic buttress in the way, one of my henchmen charged a feather-hatted Empire only to find out it was Floppy3.  I laughed.

With most of my warband in the attic, the Empire warriors were quickly subdued.   At that time the Empire was doing poorly on the other floors also and they routed.

Everyone piled down the hatch into the bedroom and made a conga line to the stairway entrance.

The vampire took Finn ooa and then went up to 2nd floor where my pirates would meet him after coming down from the attic.

New crewman Bear 2 (with club) volunteered to stand back a little in the doorway and receive the vampire's charge.

Eventually, the T5 vampire was taken ooa.

2 ghouls charged out of the doorway to avenge him but after quite a few rounds of hth, they were also taken ooa.

Undead then routed.  I won !!!

The vampire was legendary last night for rolling ones to wound.

Post battle:
I bought a new blunderbuss.

Found 6gc worth of crap (food) in the cargo crate I opened up. Profit of 1gc.

Bruno 2, the Gunner LGT from the kitchen, with yellow feather and brown coat. rolled 1 - 4 for dead, then, 1 - 6 multiple injuries. But only 1 injury and that was full recovery.  Yay

Finn and everyone else was fine.

The Mary Anns lost Flagguy (again) and Isaac lost an eye.

Quote from: John D
From my end, none of my guys could roll more than ones and twos to wound, but on the plus side my vampire was able to stall several of Kevin's guys on the first floor because they weren't able to punch him to death....allowing the rest of my guys to come down from the 2nd floor and save him.  Kevin chose to rout soon after.

Later on, I met the rest of Jim's warband on the middle floor but couldn't cause enough damage to break out and get more than 2 guys into combat.  I routed after losing another couple of guys, so Jim won the day.

No one died, but Vampire is going to miss a game while he grows another leg (smashed leg).
A Skirmish in Torktuga
Kevin was feeling a bit beat on in the bar fight, so I thought I would pile on.  Oh well.
We decided to fight in Torktuga to avoid Port Sigmar's special rules because it was getting late.  This does not save me.

The firing squad of crossbows overlooks the field

I rolled the event Shore Patrol for the second game in a row!  This time the patrol entered in my deployment zone...

The final confrontation

Ricardo y Ricardo's last shot.  No wounds are caused.  Both Mary Ann blunderbusses and that dueling pistol toting Captain shoot back...

The game ended a draw by store closing, but the Old Estalians suffered 2 ooa and they both died.  Guido the Tilean Marksman was killed by the first shot of the fight (pesky eagle eyed gitz!) and Ricardo, who had lost a point of ballistic skill to the Pirate Curse, fell to the last volley.

The Old Guard still manage to find 3 dueling pistols and a lot of gold, but no one becomes a hero to replace Ricardo.

The Mary Anns only had one model ooa.  He got better.  The Mary Anns gain +2 underdog bonus and walk away with lots of gold.  Gitz!

Since everyone was able to re-supply, we will be back exploring the seas and jungles of the Karribean at the next game night.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 05:11:39 PM by Von Kurst »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2018, 06:01:33 PM »
I like how the buildings have interiors! :::cheers:::

Need to make a chapel like that soon. :icon_cool:

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2018, 02:40:45 PM »
I like how the buildings have interiors! :::cheers:::

Need to make a chapel like that soon. :icon_cool:

Thanks GP.  Having playable interiors is pretty essential to gaming street fights in 'populated' towns.  Jim L likes to do furnished interiors, which look cool, but drive me crazy when I'm trying to place models.  Still I have been collecting furniture for the day that I decide to 'furnish' my own bare rooms.
Dead Man's Hand--In the Jungle, the Mighty Jungle

Beware the Tall Grass
I forget who wrote it, but there's a Jurassic Park style scenario of cold ones attacking warbands in the tall grass called The Prey.  Its a pretty bloody scenario, but I've been tweaking it over the years.  I may have gone too far...

The idea is that two warbands (the Old Estalians and the Bay Watch in this case) are fleeing from an unspecified previously encountered threat.  They find themselves in a sea of grass.  Ahead they can see a ruin jutting up out of the grass.  Using the ruin as a landmark the warbands start toward it.  But they hear growls from the grass around them.  Then the screams begin...

Usually when we play this scenario, the Bay Watch would draw the most attention from the dread Cold Ones (since certain players are renowned for their ability to roll a 1), but on this day the raptors preferred Estalian flesh. (At least Arabian flesh, as Ali bin Ali the Merchant was attacked first. Well he was attacked three times, but the warband's heroes saved him each time.)

The pests came in waves (the Cold Ones appear at the beginning of each player turn.  You roll for each warband member who is one ground level.  On a roll of a 1 a Cold One attacks!)

The Bay Watch encountered fewer of the Cold Ones (perhaps because I put a piece of climbable terrain on the board..)

The few raptors encountered are overwhelmed by pyrates

Al Bobo killed a couple of them

The Old Estalians battled on

The end is near.  One of the Bay Watch has reached the ruin in only 4 turns (which is how you win the game).

The Old Guard have killed many Cold Ones, but could not reach the ruin in time

Al Bobo saves the Merchant for the third time...

The Bay Watch win a game! (This has happened several times this campaign, but is always a new experience to be savored.)  They lost their new Warlock (Marvin?), who was killed by a Cold One.
The Bay Watch skin two of the beasts (80 gcs!) and pocket various other treasures.  Then they sail back to Torktuga to hire a new Warlock.

The Old Guard lost no one.  Hadji the gunner becomes a hero!  And the Guard sail to Torktuga to trade.  Sadly losing the race to the ruin meant that they could not skin any of the cold ones they had killed.  However, the Estalians manage to collect enough treasure to pay all of the Hired Swords (55 gc!) and acquire new supplies.
The Haunted Wreck
The New Estalians tried to claim an old wreck that the Mary Anns had found.  This did not end well for anyone...

One of the dread Lustrian crocodiles takes a mercenary

The pyrate rafts have been shot up

The New Estalians fled with lots of warriors ooa.
2 died of their wounds. (including a gunner with a blunderbuss)

The Mary Anns made the mistake of boarding the wreck without reading the scenario...  The Undead pyrates rise to repel boarders and do a pretty good job of it. (Chris had been rolling poorly as his warband, but became a killer as an undead pirate.)

The Mary Anns' Captain suffers madness and becomes stupid.  It is possible that Flagguy dies again.
__________________________________________________________________________________
The Trail of Death
The New Estalians encounter the Bay Watch on a narrow jungle trail...  At night, in the dark, because the Bay Watch have 7 crossbows.

The Bay Watch advance

Mrs Wolfgang is attacked by cold ones!  But the crew save her

The Estalians struggle through the darkness

Chris chose to fight at night. Both warbands could see 14".
I was about to shoot 7 crossbow shots into one hero and beat another hero up with Little Billie III and Mrs. Wolfgang.
Then I got a call and had to go. I think he was lucky I had to leave.   
 Chris killed Gunner Finn (blunderbuss guy)
But one of Chris' gunners died and I looted his handgun. :)
I opened a crate and rolled 61: found a Medicine Chest!  Saving it for a hero injury re-roll.
X Marks the Spot
A Hidden Treasure variant with a deadly ending

There are many lost treasures in the Karribean.  The Mary Anns happened to have a map leading to one...

The Mad Captain charges Jaun de Plama II (big sword, top of photo)

The assembled firing squad awaits the outcome

The Mary Anns have the treasure.  Can they escape in time?

Bad things are happening to the Mary Anns

The photographer had left the building, but a brawl broke out around the fight between Juan and the Mad Captain.  Captain de Guzman personally rushed to Jaun's defense, while the Mad Captain was joined by a henchman.

The Old Guard had the numbers to add more warriors to the fight, eventually the Mary Anns rushed off the field with the treasure. But both the Mad Captain and his henchman were out of action.  Both died of their wounds.

Despite managing to 'find' every possible reward in the treasure chest (and roll the maximum amount for each) AND collect a +2 underdog bonus, the Mary Anns vow to return to Altdorf to use the treasure to build a tomb for the Mad Captain.  (Having not rolled a lads got talent hero for the entire campaign and failing to get one again after the death of the Mad Captian may have had a bit to do with this decision.)

The Old Guard lost no one.  They captured one Marienburger, but the fool refused to join the crew and was sold to the galleys of the Doge (of Trianto, I think).  The Old Guard capture some goblin raiders, pressgang one and put the rest to the sword.  Eventually all the loot was sold at Torktuga.

Coming soon--The Lost Temple of the Slann
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 02:53:46 PM by Von Kurst »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2018, 04:27:32 PM »
The non-street environment looks great for Mordheim! :icon_biggrin:

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2018, 06:12:23 PM »
This is great entertainment.

The only sad thing is we are being treated on a daily basis as we catch up on the past games .............. and when we do catch up, it will become an only "once a week fix".

Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2018, 07:25:26 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments gents

The only sad thing is we are being treated on a daily basis as we catch up on the past games .............. and when we do catch up, it will become an only "once a week fix".

Yeah, there is that...  I have been kind of amazed that I have squeezed a couple of months and 2 pages on another forum into one page here.
The Lost Temple of the Slann
The Old Guard defend a ruin from the rapacious Bay Watch and New Estalians. (John had returned from vacation, but then got stuck working late.)

I was feeling kind of bad about last weeks scenery boards.  They were kind of boring to play on and didn't look much better in photos, so this week Jim L suggested we play on one of the scenery mats the store provides (he also wanted to use the whole six feet for a three player game, that got vetoed pretty quick.)
Same scenery, but it looks so much better...

Anyway the Old Guard were the highest rated again. Just like they have been for the I don't know how many games in a row.  So they ended up stuck in the middle in the Lustrian version of the scenario The Wizard's Mansion.
The big snake is a temple guardian that has been tamed by the Old Guard.
On the first turn the event embarrassed pathfinder is rolled (a pathfinder hired sword is found caught in a trap in the middle of the ruin...) He doesn't know it, but Ben Gunn the Bounty Hunter just rescued his replacement.  (In this game the skull counters mean that the models next to them are hiding.)

The New Estalians travel through the jungle and lurk on the heights to the west

The Bay Watch lurk to the east

The Big Belly the pressed goblin snipes a Bay Watch hero out of action!

The Guardian blocks the entrance

A nimble hero stalks Big Belly

Melee on the avenue of Frog Sphinxes

The Old Guard flee with 7 out of action, including the guardian...

New Estalian snipers on the heights above

The Bay Watch hide from the snipers above (and forget the blunderbusses to the north...

Marvelous Marvin II tries a sneak flying attack (which fails)

The Old Guard put too much faith in numbers (22).  I frittered away my numerical advantage early by sacrificing pawns.  Then the survivors couldn't hold off the hordes.  Snark (a pressed Smuggler) and Big Belly deserted in the rout.  Ben Gum the Bounty Hunter was shot in the back by the treacherous Bay Watch.  Edwardo was killed by his former crew-mates the New Estalians and Gunner Emilio was captured by the Bay Watch.  He refused to serve under Captain Flashy and was sold to the galleys.  (The Bay Watch recover their stolen rusty pistol as well.)

The Old Guard would have been lost in the jungle, but Chris reminded me that the grateful pathfinder joined the warband and with his expert guidance the Old Guard found a Cheating Merchant to trade with.

The Bay Watch may have lost a couple of men (including their pesky Tilean), but captured a blunderbuss in addition to their lost rusty pistol when Emilio surrendered.  The Bay Watch now have 3 rusty pistols that they have taken off the corpses of marooned sea dogs in the exploration phase.  As far as i know Mrs Wolfgang and Bratz II both recovered.   The Bay Watch gain +2 Underdog bonus and trade in Torktuga.

The New Estalians lost a gunner killed.  They attacked a goblin flotilla in exploration and captured 3 goblin swabs (and some loot).  Finally they landed at Torktuga to trade.
_______________________________________________________________________________________
In other news it was revealed during a shooting phase that the Bay Watch are not a Sartosan Pyrates warband (as defined by the Sartosan Campaign setting) as was previously thought.  They are in fact a Wastelander Privateer warband (also a warband from the Sartosan setting). No one is certain when this confusion occurred, although I expect it happened when Jim L happened to capture a bunch of free handguns a few games ago  :engel:
A Muletrain
The Undead attempt to escort a mule train through the territory of the Red Jaw White Skullz 
(John and I met on Sunday to get a make-up game in.  I got out the default warband for the campaign: Savage Orcs (from the Karak Something or other Mordheim setting)

This was a Sundayheim game so photos did not happen.  Here is an old shot of the Red Jawz (From Pyrates of the Karribean III)

Uma Goo Ma peered through the moonlit jungle toward the Old Path.  He could hear the Dead Eaters moaning and gibbering.  It would not be long until they entered the Kill Place.  Dead Eaters think Uma Goo Ma frighten.  Think no one watch the Old Path! Ha!  Uma Goo Ma wear the White Skull paint!  No stinking Dead Eater scare Uma!  Uma Goo Ma kill!

Off to the right, somebody scream.  It no sound like Dead Eater scream.  Sound like that fool Club Club...

Dead Eaters get behind tribe?  How?  Uma Goo Ma could still hear the Dead Eaters, but they stop moaning.  Dead Eaters listening...

Uma Goo Ma jump up, shout "Waaagh!' 

Ambush gone south. May as well charge!

Boyz jump up, shout "Waaagh!"  Some fall down in the dark.  Some start scrapping with each other.  Off to the right that fool Bash Bash is holding Club Club's head.  Club Club look taller now.

The Vampire was missing a game, because of that bad leg from the bar fight. But it had been awhile since I played the Red Jawz and I forgot most of their best tactics. (well really any tactics)  So the ladz blundered through the jungle, tripping, falling and beating each other up.  I placed the best archers where they could not shoot and put frenzied orcs too close to the Undead so that they would get shot or charge in piece meal. 

The orcs got beat up bad and fled.
Og Og da Nutta died.
Club Club died too, cause stupid Bash Bash killed him.
The tribe found a sunken canoe and salvaged 4 teef from it.

With typical Undead luck, John rolled a 3 on the Supply Source chart and got lost in the Jungle even though he won.  The beaten orcs managed to find a friendly merchant and replaced one of their losses.

Since the Undead are lost in the jungle, next weeks games will be in the Jungles and on the Seas.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 07:45:24 PM by Von Kurst »

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2018, 12:40:03 PM »
Dem frogs, dem frogs man...

I love this scenery. I love pirate and jungle settings and your games have both! Awesome stuff. :ph34r: :blush:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2018, 04:08:12 PM »
Dem frogs, dem frogs man...

I love this scenery. I love pirate and jungle settings and your games have both! Awesome stuff. :ph34r: :blush:

Thanks mate.  I got almost all of the frogs I use in Lustrian scenery years ago (back when Lizardmen first became a Warhammer Army). Mostly from Michaels and Hobby Lobby stores.
Dead Man's Hand---Bungles in da Jungles

For the night of May 3, 2018 we had all the surviving warbands in attendance, although I arrived about an hour late  :icon_redface:

Mule Train (with photos)
The New Estalians slack off while guarding a mule train.  The Old Guard tries to make them pay.

As I've said before, there really is no reason to play this scenario as written**.  But I'm lazy, so we do.  Chris always releases his mules as the defender.  So mules run back and forth during the fight.  Which is pretty entertaining, too.
** http://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t2286p50-scenario-reviews-an-irregular-commentary

Even though Chris has a deadly missile combo of an LGT gunner with a Hochland long rifle, with the skill hunter AND a Tilean with eagle eye and quick shot AND lots of dueling pistols, handguns and four blunderbusses; Chris still fears my Tilean with Initiative 4, my 5 handguns, 2 blunderbusses and a bow and longbow...  So we bumbled about in the darkness

So it was a night ambush in a rocky jungle pass.  Since all of the combatants were human, no one could see more than 11 inches.   

Mules running amok in the New Estalian lines

The ambushers clump up listening to the chaos

Off camera--A Carnivorous Plant event attacks Francisco.  He and Almah chop the plant to pieces and find 4gc and some slimy bones.

The rivals close.  The New Estalians got 2 blunderbuss shots off to start the ball.  The Old Guard returned fire.  Then the warbands got closer. 

One of the mules is represented by 2 skink bearers.  These two are blocking my lines from being charged or shot this turn.  Good job mules!

The Arabian Merchant and his bodyguard capture the skink bearers!  The end of the fight is near

And Al Bobo and Enrico attack Julio

The New Estalians fail a rout test with 2 heroes and 4 or 5 henchmen ooa (including 2 blunderbusses!)
No one dies.  Two Swords rolls Survives Against the Odds...  The beaten New Eastalians retire to trade in Torktuga.

The Old Guard win!  Hadji hates Julio for stabbing him while he was down.  The Old Guard capture one mule (the skink bearers), rob some more goblins in Exploration and retire to Torktuga.  As usual in this campaign cycle, rolling for scenario rewards is less than lucrative.  The Old Guard make more money robbing goblins than stealing mules...(although I forgot to sell the mule!  24gc more!)
The Old Guard fail to find any blunderbusses for sale...
But the Old Guard are rich, so with an eye to discovering the Lost City soon, a Tomb Robber is hired.
The Ghost and the Darkness
The Undead and the Baywatch tangle with some deadly Sabre-tooth Tigers in a night-time jungle skirmish.

The tigers target the weakest warrior (or henchman group) in each warband. (Which can be scary if you meet them early in a campaign for Mercenaries and Pirates because that's going to be a hero...  Undead usually don't care because there is often a zombie to sacrifice.)

The Undead failed their Curse test.  Fortunately for them, the roll on the Curse chart gave their opponent the ability to cast the spell Curse for the game.  Since Jim L was the opponent, that's usually as good as a 'no result' roll.  :engel:

In the Baywatch's case the weakest link was their hired Beggar.  The Darkness attacked early

Nearly dragged the git to his doom. (Models taken off the table are eaten.)

Mrs. Wolfgang, Floppy III and that guy with a club tried to save him

They defeat the tiger, but alas, the beggar is ooa, too.

Meanwhile the Ghost attacks a Dreg who had tripped in the darkness and fallen down!  Many warriors come to the rescue.

Then the Vampire falls upon the Bosun! (In the distance you can see that the Dreg has been rescued.)

A firing squad eliminates the Vampire in turn

Night time range of vision 8” for me and 14” for the Undead. The dim moonlight was brutal, I only got 3 shots off. 

Silly Beggar.
 He went ooa when the Darkness jumped him, but was rescued from being drug off the table.
 Well, he died anyway!
 A Dire wolf died, too, I think.

Silver arrows took the vampire ‘s Lucky Charm, Captain Flashy's crossbow took a wound off, then the superior powder in the blunderbuss took him ooa. 😃
The Vampire suffered the -1 movement leg injury.
 So now he’ll only be able to sprint 15”.
The Ghost only knocked down a Dreg before the kitty was ooa.

But I had 4 ooa by the next turn and failed my rout test. Rolled a 9 and my leader hasn’t had an advance on that yet. Undead win!

Amazingly, everyone made it back to civilization to trade.  The skirmishes next [this] week will be in Torktuga.

Campaign progress so far:
Curses!
The Old Guard have 3 Curse Points
The Mary Anns have 3 CP
The Bay Watch, New Estalians and Undead have 1 CP

Exploration
In order to 'discover' the Lost City of Tlax a warband must win 5 exploration scenarios (fights at sea or in the jungle)
The New Estalians have 4 wins
The Bay Watch have 4 wins
The Undead have 4 wins
The Old Guard have 3 wins
The Mary Anns have 2 wins
White Dwarfs have 1 win
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 04:43:37 PM by Von Kurst »

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2018, 09:44:10 AM »

I was reminded of this thread which compliments this one superbly and have 'revived' it in the Empire Crafts and Skills board

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=25036.0

Lots of good info and pics ( "corrected" as many photobucket ones as I can ) on ships.  :biggriin:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2018, 03:29:12 PM »
Thank you sir  :::cheers:::

That thread has always been a favorite of mine

And now this weeks report (I've caught up):
The Governor’s Daughter
A Piratical Variation of The Lost Prince(ss)

John could not make game night, so the three of us soldiered on...

The Most Esteemed Fraulien Gertrude Eloise Erma von Hausen felt trepidation in her snowy breast.

It was happening AGAIN.  She had finally slipped her loathsome chaperones and escaped into the town for a bit of ENTERTAINMENT.  But she was LOST again!  Her silly maids had wandered off into this wretched crowd.  She could see no familiar faces.  Everyone looked so VULGAR, so common.  So absolutely TERRIFYING!

It had been a clear sunny day when her party set out from Father's ship, The Emperor's Hammer.  The boat ride had been DISTRACTING and QUAINT.   It had been such a LONG time since the unpleasantness of those HORRIBLE Sea Gitz and that AWFUL Mr. Borgutt; then that Cathayan pirate, Cheng Fo, then, well, the list was horribly LONG. The Karribean had DECLINED so much in the last few seasons.  Still she expected Pappa to sort the situation out in due course.

They had landed simply enough with Pappa’s Marine guard of fifty STALWART lads plus Gertrude's maids and made an EXPEDITION into the Totktuga, the pirate port. So sad that the name was so APT.  Still the day would have been delightful except for those FOOLS, her maids.  WHEREVER could they have gone?   This crowded market was really the WORST!  It was quite IMPOSSIBE to see anything.  One feared these louts would take LIBERTIES.  Suddenly, Gerturde heard the sound of gunfire! All around her she could hear cries of terror.  Gertrude was certain some one was being MURDERED!  Getrude was shoved and PUMMELED.  It was UNACCEPTABLE!

Before the game started all of us made our Curse test.  Chris failed his roll.  He rolled the result that allows your opponent to cast the spell Curse.  He also rolled to choose which opponent would control the curse.  Chris rolled Jim L (and a free pass from that worry :roll: )

The Bay Watch started from the north... Crossbows and handguns stayed on the upper stories of the Officer's and NCO clubs (why such club's exist in Torktuga has been a question upon which Mr L is silent [the scenery used all belonged to Jim L, who had wanted to show it off to some friends who stopped by the store]). 

Blunderbusses and swordsmen (and women) braved the (invisibly) crowded street.  Marvelous Marvin II has 'flown' to the roof of the United Pirate Shipping building where he threatens to do nothing.

The Old Guard approach the market from the south.  They occupy the Three Sisters in the center and the old Port Authority building to the east.

At the beginning of Jim L's second turn a giant spider (which is really a giant crab) appears in the New Estalian's flank.

The street has cleared.  All the blunderbusses and swords have occupied the United Pirate Shipping building.  Marvin II (on the UPS roof) is trying to hide and cast spells at the same time, which encourages discussion and the reading of rulebooks.

The appearance of the Crab/spider and a missile attack on the ogre sends the crowd scrambling for cover.  They trample most of the New Estalians who are nearest the Crab/spider.  Oops!

The panicked crowd trample most of the Old Guard crew in the open as well. (But the dread Crab/spider is far away from the Old Guard...)

A brave Wastelander takes custody of the Governor's Daughter.

Brave but out of action after the Old Guard's handguns speak. (Fortunately, any shot that hit Gerty failed to wound.)

[Through out the battle we all forgot the random movement rule for Gerty (because none of us bothered to get the scenario out to read it until it was over :icon_redface: )  She obligingly stayed stationary, out in the open for most of the game.]

Another Wastelander braves the open to control Gerty. (Most of the Old Guard's guns are being reloaded.)

Eventually the New Estalians gain their feet and attack the Crab/spider.

Gerty and her captor make it to the door...

Intense missile fire is directed against the New Estalians to cover them.

But the Old Guard's guns are re-loaded.  (And the Old Guard's gunners are out of sight or out of range of the Bay Watch and New Estalian guns and crossbows)

The Bay Watch fail a rout test, with one hero, Marvelous Marvin the Warlock and several henchmen out of action.

After some grumbling about "Crab/spiders" and "ungrateful louts" and "hey, weren't you cursed?", a Crab/scorpion is produced from the bottomless (but, alas, crab-less) collection of 'random encounter' models Jim L brings to game night.

After 4 turns of failing to wound the Crab/spider, the New Estalians immediately kill the Crab/scorpion.

Endgame.  Three gunners, the ogre bodyguard and several other crew are out of action for the New Estalians.  The Old Guard have two wounded heroes surrounded.  Will Julio (the pistolier in black, at least I think that was Julio this week) attack Almah as she lies helpless?  Or will he rush to his Captain's aid?  Or will the New Estalians just flee?

The New Estalians either flee voluntarily or fail a rout test.  18 hours later I can't recall.  Either way, the Old Guard win!

The Bay Watch, surprisingly, (especially to Jim L) have no one die.  The Bosun suffers a miss a game result from his wound. The Bay Watch use all of their searches to find a rare 8 Holy Relic. (In order to pass at least one rout test.)  Opening a cargo crate nets them a Blank Flag.  The warband also gains +1 Underdog bonus for fighting the 435 rated Old Guard.

The New Estalians lose a Gunner with a blunderbuss and the goblin swab (who looked a lot like a Tilean duelist.)  The New Estalians also gain a Blank Flag.  They find a replacement Blunderbuss almost immediately.

The Old Guard win.  As usual the scenario rewards are a bit sparse (which could be the Governor's displeasure for the number of times Gertrude was hit by shot and bolts meant for her kidnappers.)  The crate of clothing found in Exploration helped the warband meet payroll for the five Hired Swords.
The Old Guard fail to find Bugman's ale or Ithilmar armor.
Almah does gain 'connections' (immunity from being imprisoned or executed by the Imperial Council) which can be taken as a token of a father's gratitude.

As an aside I have been repainting and painting some old models since I had a week off.  Here is the result

« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 03:46:40 PM by Von Kurst »