home

Author Topic: What would you do if you had total design control?  (Read 4940 times)

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
What would you do if you had total design control?
« on: May 13, 2018, 01:25:43 AM »
So let’s say that AoS will be around forever and they want to redevelop the human element of the game and they allow you to totally redesign the minis!!!  :Ohmy: What would you do?  :engel:

1-One different faction for every realm  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

2-The Lighting SIg Marines will be a part of the show ( they stay)  :dry:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: What would you do if you had total design control?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 01:41:34 AM »
Quote Zak: 1-One different faction for every realm  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

Love this idea. The possibilities are incredible. This could include the dwarves and elves. Some with traditional bonds and others with ther extreme nastiness they can feel towards each other. Almost every age could get covered. Bedouin’s of the fire realm meet the Iron Age soldiers of the metal realm etc.
Great imagination.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 07:39:20 PM »
This sounds like an AoS thread?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 10:06:39 AM »
1. New city guard taking their looks and warfare abilities from the realm of Azyr and I don't mind merging the current Empire and normal Dwarfs for this (see also 4)

2. Some nomad like remnants of humans that survived the age of Chaos in the Realms (look at the Devoted of Sigmar from Aqshy (realm of Fire))

3. Yes Sigmarines to stay

4. Merge the Ironweld Arsenal and Collegiate Arcane back into the City Guard faction and see 1: Merge the Dispossed for the City Guard but also make a number 2 for nomad like remnants of dispossed
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 03:25:43 PM »
1. New city guard taking their looks and warfare abilities from the realm of Azyr and I don't mind merging the current Empire and normal Dwarfs for this (see also 4)

2. Some nomad like remnants of humans that survived the age of Chaos in the Realms (look at the Devoted of Sigmar from Aqshy (realm of Fire))

3. Yes Sigmarines to stay

4. Merge the Ironweld Arsenal and Collegiate Arcane back into the City Guard faction and see 1: Merge the Dispossed for the City Guard but also make a number 2 for nomad like remnants of dispossed

not bad at all
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 03:39:25 PM »
I’m not too familiar with the different realms so I’ll just come up with what I think would look cool and defiantly draw my interest back to AoS.

1-Steam punk, with lusts for gun powder, steams tank technologies, war wagons, GUNS, BIG GUNS, airships, etc.  Think of Leonardo Devinci schematics.

2-Air Pirates, these have their own version of airships (pirate ships) ragtag bunch of mercs. with no alliance but to those who can pay the highest price for services.  Individual raiders with bat like mechanical wings in which they launch themselves off the ships to attack venerable objectives.  Raiding parties, ship boarding, stuff like that.

3-A realm where magic and technologies rule supreme. Wizards lead and have henchmen or assistance to help protect them from harms. This is where you would have War wagons that represent all colleges or winds of magic. Warrior monks, secret assassins etc.

4-Classical People that are trying to rebuild the empire and have created city states that represent the way things used to be ( to their best ability).   
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 04:05:40 PM »
All good Zak! Are you sure your not on the secret payday of AoS marketing?
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 04:14:18 PM »
All good Zak! Are you sure your not on the secret payday of AoS marketing?

dude I wish suckers need me
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 04:43:10 PM »

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 05:18:39 PM »
I’m not too familiar with the different realms so I’ll just come up with what I think would look cool and defiantly draw my interest back to AoS.

The realms were formed from the winds of magic after the shattering of the World that Was, so there are 8 corresponding to the old lores of magic.  E.g Aqshy, the Realm of Fire, and Chamon the Realm of Metal

1-Steam punk, with lusts for gun powder, steams tank technologies, war wagons, GUNS, BIG GUNS, airships, etc.  Think of Leonardo Devinci schematics.

There are currently 2 factions that are quite steam-punk, the Kharadron Overlords - flying airship dwarves, that looks very steampunk, and are somewhere between traders and privateers.   For humans, together with Duardin (dwarfs), there is the Ironweld Arsenal, who build war machines to protect the free-cites, and have built huge walking constructions called Cog-Forts (walking castles).

2-Air Pirates, these have their own version of airships (pirate ships) ragtag bunch of mercs. with no alliance but to those who can pay the highest price for services.  Individual raiders with bat like mechanical wings in which they launch themselves off the ships to attack venerable objectives.  Raiding parties, ship boarding, stuff like that.

As i've already mentioned, there are the Kharadron Overlords - with their steampunk style airships, but there are also rumours of Grotbag Scuttlers - goblin sky pirates, think of very old John Blanche artwork with flying wooden ships.  I don't know if there is much credibility to those rumours though, but they seem to stick around.

3-A realm where magic and technologies rule supreme. Wizards lead and have henchmen or assistance to help protect them from harms. This is where you would have War wagons that represent all colleges or winds of magic. Warrior monks, secret assassins etc.

All of the realms are highly magical in some way, and there is the both the Eldritch Council (What was high elf mages) and Collegiate Arcane (Human Battlemages), many of these are based in Azyrheim the great city of the realm of Azyr, where Sigmar once ruled, and was cut-off from the rest of the realms during the Age of Chaos, to protect it, and from where the Free Peoples set forth to re-establish cities in the other realms after the Sigmar sent his Stormcast Eternals into battle for the Realmgate Wars.  In the same place, to protect from corruption is the Order of Azyr, the Witch Hunters of the mortal realms. 

4-Classical People that are trying to rebuild the empire and have created city states that represent the way things used to be ( to their best ability).   

After the World That Was got destroyed, and Sigmar found the realms and the people who had survived and found themselves there, they build great empires during the Age of Myth, including the Lantic Empire, the largest of all of them, though all of those fell in the Age of Chaos, but the settlers from Azyr, seek out those old cities, to rebuild, or found new ones - the background story has moved on a few hundred years since the game launched - And now there are many great cities - Hammerhal, Hallowheart, Phoenicium, The Greywater Fastness, The Living City, Exceslis and many more.  And they are protected by the Freeguilds in the main, but also support from the Collegiate Arcane, Ironweld Arsenal, Stormcast Eternals, and other forces of order, though not all is peace and harmony between the forces of order.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 07:13:57 PM »
I just don't like the Steam punk dwarves I just want humans lol
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 01:56:47 PM »
1. Went for a oriental theme with some of the armies.

2. Make the whole setting more gritty and dark souls-like.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2018, 02:38:55 PM »

I agree, I would really like the Human faction to go back to the way the empire was in 4th edition? Remember all the cool stuff, Imperial dwarfs, Ogres, displaced races that have found refuge in the city of humans. This also reflects the way the army is made up; high reflection on religious fanaticism, Zealots, old wizards, Unreliable technologies that steam, spin and wiz etc. I would also like to see pirates, and a mentality of distrust with the Sigmar golden boys ( love hate relationship) Airships, steam tanks, steam cannons, gunpowder concoctions ….go nuts but in a very dark gritty, dark streets assassinations, dirty deals, and witch hunter smack downs… Knight households, merchant princes, customized war wagons…I could keep going  :closed-eyes: 

Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2018, 12:03:25 PM »

I agree, I would really like the Human faction to go back to the way the empire was in 4th edition? Remember all the cool stuff, Imperial dwarfs, Ogres, displaced races that have found refuge in the city of humans. This also reflects the way the army is made up; high reflection on religious fanaticism, Zealots, old wizards, Unreliable technologies that steam, spin and wiz etc. I would also like to see pirates, and a mentality of distrust with the Sigmar golden boys ( love hate relationship) Airships, steam tanks, steam cannons, gunpowder concoctions ….go nuts but in a very dark gritty, dark streets assassinations, dirty deals, and witch hunter smack downs… Knight households, merchant princes, customized war wagons…I could keep going  :closed-eyes: 

Pretty much what the cities in the realms are already like then?

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2018, 01:51:24 PM »
hmmmmmmmm
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2018, 01:27:09 PM »
I agree with Oxycutor that the cities of Order are already pretty similar to that, but what we need is more books showing the nitty gritty of it. Silver Tower and Hammerfall are pretty good for it. I can think of a handful of short stories that I've read that take place in the cities. Mostly the ones out of Malign Portents. Yet we still need to see a bit more of it.

I really like how they've made the Order cities these huge melting pots of all the different races. Refugees, resistance, colonists, everybody joining up. I do feel like they tell us it's happening without really showing us though.

Offline hamster

• Members
  • doesn't have pictures of the sprue
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2018, 11:16:26 PM »
list of changes in "hamsters far superior AOS rule set, hence forth and so on"

1. give every mini a mustache

2. give the mustache a mustache

3. more pointy bits on the end of pointy bits
There is no wrong state to play as, except for middenland

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2018, 09:31:03 AM »
I agree with Oxycutor that the cities of Order are already pretty similar to that, but what we need is more books showing the nitty gritty of it. Silver Tower and Hammerhal are pretty good for it. I can think of a handful of short stories that I've read that take place in the cities. Mostly the ones out of Malign Portents. Yet we still need to see a bit more of it.

I really like how they've made the Order cities these huge melting pots of all the different races. Refugees, resistance, colonists, everybody joining up. I do feel like they tell us it's happening without really showing us though.

Silver Tower didn't really reveal much, but the game Shadows over Hammerhal did in the rulebook, what it's like in probably the largest of the free cities outside of Azyrheim.   

City of Secrets, introduces the city of Excelsis in the realm of beasts, where there are the poor parts of the city, rundown, even though it's grown from nothing in not much more than a hundred or so years since the Realmgate Wars.   There is the docks which are controlled by the ruthless aelven Scourge Privateers (Dark Elf Corsairs), And there is a rich part where the settlers from Azyr live.  They look down on the other free people who are the descendants of the survivors of the tribes and nations that had to endure the Age of Chaos.  The Azyrites often see them as corrupt with not much evidence.  The city also is home to the Knight Excelsior Stormhost, who often lead purges against Chaos-tainted people, (And anyone who might even have been nearby) led by a Lord-Veritant fearfully known as the White Reaper.   A freeguild solider Callis teams up with a Witch Hunter Toll from the Order of Azyr in the book.  If I say much more there could be spoilers

City of Secrets is probably the first book recommended to anyone wanting to know what the free cities are like.   Then possibly Spear of Shadows, and the collection of short stories called Hammerhal And Other Stories.

Callis and Toll returned in a short story from the Advent Calender back in December, and also have a new novel coming soon The Silver Shard.   

CL Werner is also doing another Witch Hunter series (He did Matthias Thulmann, and Brunner) from the Order of Azyr

Spear of Shadows (and it's prequel short story Auction of Blood), is a bit of a mixed RPG party of characters in an adevnture, and features some of the odder free cities.

Leter this year, we should get the Age of Sigmar RPG, which should really flesh out what the free cities are like.  I can quite easily see them going into Hammerhal as a supplement of it's own.

The free cities by the way, judging by the map of Hammerhal are far larger than any of the cities of the Old World

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2018, 06:29:01 PM »
ok you have almost convinced me to start reading the fiction...HOWEVER, like it has been stated if its not I'm miniature form I don't care of the queen can blow fire out her ars I want to see the rules and mini's showing this so called "grim" nature of these "human worlds" lol

no offense to any queens out there  :closed-eyes:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2018, 07:23:45 PM »
I'll have to pick up City of Secrets and give it a look, I hadn't heard of it.

I knew Hammerhal was pretty good. Especially some of the supplements they put out in the white dwarves made it seem like a real, living city.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2018, 08:00:28 PM »
I'll have to pick up City of Secrets and give it a look, I hadn't heard of it.

I knew Hammerhal was pretty good. Especially some of the supplements they put out in the white dwarves made it seem like a real, living city.

Do it! Do it now! You will not regret it. Great read.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2018, 08:52:20 PM »
Excellent, additional recommendations just means an even quicker trip to amazon.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2018, 07:27:17 PM »
Excellent, additional recommendations just means an even quicker trip to amazon.

word
Yes I'm dyslexic so what