home

Author Topic: [OT] Traitor!  (Read 2654 times)

Offline MeridianGeneral

• Members
[OT] Traitor!
« on: November 21, 2004, 04:38:34 PM »
Weeeelllll,
Congrats to Atchman on winning The Dragoncaves RTT this weekend, but he did it with WEEDS!

Can't b!tch too much, since I was playin' Dark Elves, but WEEDS! C'mon Randy, you can turn to the dark side, but to fall off the into the dark goo!
Yuck! :P  :P  :P

Bruce (aka The Dark Elvis)
Now where are my balls? The juggleing ones you perv!

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
[OT] Traitor!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 04:44:17 PM »
But isn't there an old saying...............

"Know your enemy"
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline The Village Idiot

• Members
  • Empire GT Winner
[OT] Traitor!
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2004, 04:50:31 PM »
I demand an immediate inquisition by the Sigmarite Council! WOOD ELVES!?!? You've gotta be %#%&!* kidding me!  :?

The Village Idiot
The dark way is easier, quicker, not better.
Quickly everyone, chant the Canticle of the Battalion Concept. Maybe we can convert him!
-Rufus Sparkfire, Imperial Scrivener

Offline Sigmar's Instrument

• Members
[OT] Traitor!
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2004, 05:33:49 PM »
My world just came crashing down Atchman...CRASHING...

Hah, just kidding, congrats to you anyway.
For Sigmar and the Empire!

Offline General Helstrom

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Chicks dig moustaches
[OT] Traitor!
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2004, 05:43:01 PM »
Quote from: Midaski
But isn't there an old saying...............

"Know your enemy"

Yes that must be it. He's cavorting with other armies just so he can learn how better to beat them with the Glorious Empire. He's gone undercover, so to speak!

Congratulations on winning a tourney, Atch! Hope this gets that monkey off your back ;)

--GH
I don't know what Caesar thought when he got to the Ides of March
Don't know what Houdini bought when he went to the store
But I sure do miss the eighties

Offline spite

• Members
[OT] Traitor!
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2004, 06:38:46 PM »
hopefully a report even though it is the weeds a empire swordsmen in disguise thats it yes yes thats it

Offline Fafnir

• Members
[OT] Traitor!
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2004, 06:40:56 PM »
Good for him! And for the Wood Elves for getting some attention! (Wood Elves have always been my favourite elven army).
EDIT: see Africa for more examples ...

Offline Clarkarias

• Members
  • Halton Hills, Ontario
[OT] Traitor!
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2004, 07:03:18 PM »
Congrats.

Must have changed sides since he claims to never win with Empire  :P
Actually, forget Karl-Franz. I want rules for Thyrus Gorman on a dragon. - Rufus Sparkfire

Offline bigrin42

• The Old Ones
  • Members
[OT] Traitor!
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2004, 08:26:01 PM »
Well, gee how can you NOT win with Wood Elves when you take the Arch Mage, 2 lvl 2 Mage army, backed by archer fire, 20 dryads, and a treeman?  On tables with more terrain on each, then I actually own?

Seriously, congrats go to Atch ... even though on the way home he said, "Oh, I enjoyed myself, but this victory just feels ... tainted somehow."
Brad G.

http://www.sleepless.to/brad

- Warhammer-Empire Technical Support: Making your experience worth every penny you paid for it

Offline armlessfred

• Members
[OT] Traitor!
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2004, 08:34:43 PM »
Wood elves eh... Well we wouldnt mind some battle reports even if they're rather green. Nice to know your finally having some success but heh couldnt you go without bigrins discription of your list my god...write acouple good battle reps to redeam yourself in the eyes of sigmar(im sure he's an avid reader;])
*insert something funny here*
Like->if you haven't got the testicular fortitude to at least stand and fight, you're not worth listening to.

• Members
  • Empire GT Winner
[OT] Traitor!
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2004, 09:20:48 PM »
Quote from: bigrin42
"Oh, I enjoyed myself, but this victory just feels ... tainted somehow."

Perhaps because it is tainted somehow?  :lol:

Really...If you tell me that he played AGAINST an Empire army I'm going to barf.  :crybaby:

The Village Idiot
The play is the thing.
Quickly everyone, chant the Canticle of the Battalion Concept. Maybe we can convert him!

Offline queek

• The Old Ones
  • Members
[OT] Traitor!
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2004, 09:23:43 PM »
its a sad, sad day, when Atchman has to do his bat-reps on the BattleGlade.

Offline Karl Schimmelfennig

• Members
  • Servant of the Slann
[OT] Traitor!
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2004, 11:07:20 PM »
If he has posted a bat rep there, put up a link.

But yeah, I'm as surprised as everyone. I did suggest a new army when he said he was a bit bored, and jokingly put forth the idea he play one of his two most hated foes (Lizards and Weeds) - but I didn't think he was serious.  :?
Famous Quotes from History:

"To beat the French."

The Iron Duke summarises his battle plan at Waterloo.

Offline sandman

• Members
[OT] Traitor!
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2004, 11:23:36 PM »
He must be too ashamed to post.  Not that I can blame him.

Congratulations on the win!  Did you learn anything applicable to Empire?
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
[OT] Traitor!
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2004, 12:07:22 AM »
Actually, I also watch football, have a family, and was watching the NASCAR race.  Just finished the Batreps, though I'm loath to put it on this site because it has NOTHING to do with the Empire, I'll put it here for your enjoyment.
"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do no let your heart rejoice"

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
[OT] Traitor!
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2004, 12:13:26 AM »
RTT Batrep:  Wood Elves

Prelude:

We had a carload of folks going to the Dragon Caves in Chattanooga.  Seriously, we had a total of five players from our little Warhammer group going down to play.  A sixth had cancelled out earlier in the week.  None of us were playing the same armies; we had Chaos, Bretts, Lizardmen, Orcs, and my Wood Elves.  

A little about the Dragon Caves; it is an excellent game shop.  The staff is friendly and knowledgeable and the store is nice.  The only complaints I have are the terrain intensive tables, which give certain army types a lot of trouble.  

My army List:

Before you scream “CHEESE” understand that the Dragon Caves is not a place where you bring your “normal” army.  Most armies there are dead hard and you need to understand that before you respond.  The last time I played there, I finished second with a mostly knights and shooting PLUS a Steamtank (it was one of the THREE present).  

Archmage, Level 4, Dispel magic scroll, Wand of Jet, Potion of Knowledge

Life Mage, Level 2, Dispel Magic Scroll

Life Mage, Level 2, Dispel Magic Scroll

Guardian, two hand weapons, Light Armor, Hail of Doom Arrow

Character Points: 699

Core:

5 Archers + Deadeye

5 Archers

5 Archers

5 Archers

6 Glade Riders, Full Command with War Banner

Core: 461

Special Troops:

10 Dryads

10 Dryads

2 Great Eagles

8 War Dancers

Special: 620

Rare Troops:

Treeman

6 Waywatchers

Rare: 370

Total Points: 2150 on the dot!

Game One:  Jeff Shea (Beastmen-Minotaur and magic heavy)

Terrain:  This was the best table for me to draw and the worst for everyone else.  It was heavily wooded, and had an impassable river with only two fords.  On top of that we there as a couple of stonewalls defending the river fords, which made it even better for Wood Elves.  

Jeff had a mostly Minotaur army.  He had three small units of Minotaurs with two hand weapons that he deployed at the right ford.  Also at the right ford, he deployed a fairly large herd backed by two Bray Shamans both with the Mark of Nurgle.  Against him I deployed one of my Dryad units, my Glade Riders, the Waywatchers, and one of my Eagles.  In the middle I deployed all of my archer units.  On the left hand ford, Jeff deployed his large Minotaur unit, a unit of Dragon Ogres, yet another small unit of Minotaurs and a Beast Herd.  Against that I deployed one Great Eagle, a unit of Dryads, and my Wardancers.

Jeff rushed all three small Minotaur units across the ford.  I launched a barrage of Mistress of the Marsh spells to slow him down.  I made a mistake and place my Glade Riders too close to a Minotaur unit and lost them and my Eagle (from Panic).  The rest of the game I used magic and shooting to reduce the three units of Minotaurs to just a single unit.  The break of the game came when my Hail of Doom Arrow targeted his Beast Herd with two Shamans.  The unit was totally destroyed by the arrow, and the Shamans fled, never to rally taking most all of his magic defense.  

On the left he rushed a Minotaur unit into the ford that the Dryads turned back.  His Dragon Ogres later destroyed the Dryads on the last turn.  His army was landlocked by the ford, the heavily wooded terrain and the marchblocking Great Eagle.  My shooting and magic destroyed his other herd, as well as, his last Shaman.  

His chance to gain a draw came when his Doombull charged out of his unit and ran into my Treeman.  I didn’t know it until turn 6 but he had the Hellfire Sword!  He caused no wounds on the turn he charged and I failed to hit with my “tree whack”.  Because I outnumbered him he should have autobroken.  Feeling like I had the game in the bag I declined to argue.  It was the next turn when he HIT with the Hellfire Sword that I found out that he had it!  I probably would have argued if I knew that fact.  In the end it didn’t matter.  

Win to the Wood Elves.  

Summary:

The mistake with my Glade Riders was just a Wood Elf rookie mistake.  I am so used to rushing forward with my cavalry and I just didn’t realize my error until my later games.  It also took my Great Eagle with them, so it was a doubly bad mistake.  

Jeff did nothing wrong, he just played me on the worst possible terrain.  I don’t know if he had ever played against Wood Elves before either.  He had plenty of magic on his own with three level two Shamans and a Power Familiar.  That was holding pretty well until my Hail of Doom arrow rolled 15 attacks, which I hit with all of them, and killed off 10+ Beastmen.  

Kudos to the tacticas on the Battle Glade that I read the night before, they really helped me in this tournament.  

Game Two:  Jeff Phillips (Slaanesh Mortals and Demons)

Terrain:

This table was pretty open except for some woods.  However I the exact center of the table there was a HUGE wood.  In the corners of the deployment zones were some ruins and a couple of hills.  Great Wood Elf table.  

Opposition:
His army was mostly Slaanesh demons.  Three units of Demonettes, two units of demonette cavalry, a demon of some sort, a mage, some furies, two chariots, a hero on a booby worm, and a sorcerer on a booby worm.  A FAST army!  

The Game:

I deployed my archers in the open on the right hand side of the table.  The entire game they shot at Demonettes, totally destroying one unit.  My Glade Guardian destroyed all but two of his Furies with his Hail of Doom Arrow.  

Jeff has not been playing much and made a couple of mistakes such as deploying his demon in a woods where it couldn’t fly out.  At my first RTT Jeff destroyed my Empire army with his 19 dice Tzeentch list.  

On my left were the Waywatchers, that failed a terror test late in the game, but rallied.  They didn’t do too much except put a wound on the Exalted Booby Worm rider.  

It was the big forest where all the battle happened.  I used my superior woodland movement to draw his army in and destroy it one unit at a time.  My magic destroyed all of his characters and his big demon as they felt the full brunt of the Master of the Woods spell.  Jeff conceded on turn four.

Win to the Wood Elves

Summary:

I thought I was in trouble against his speed, but the combination of Howler Wind, Mistress of the Marsh and the large wood totally negated his speed advantage.  Also Jeff was rusty and had not played in awhile.  

Game Three:  Bob Shipee (Savage Orcs)

Terrain:  
I think at the request of everyone in the place they put me on a table with no woods this time.  It didn’t bother me because it did have a bunch of impassable terrain that funneled whatever army into two little corridors.  Again, perfect Wood Elf terrain.  

Game Three:

On my right, I sent my Glade Riders to kill some Goblin Wolf Riders.  The Wolf Riders with some great dice rolling kept them pinned in place until the Glade Riders were destroyed by a Pump Wagon, which in turn was destroyed by a unit of Dryads. On this flank he had deployed a unit of Savage Orcs, some Savage Orc Boarboyz and a large unit of Savage Orc archers.  Against this I deployed a unit of Dryads, the Glade Riders, an archer unit, and the Glade Guardian.  With my magic superiority and with some traps and such I was able to totally destroy this entire flank for the loss of my Glade Riders.  

Since the middle was a large group of rocks, all I did there was hiding my mages.  

The left was where the battle developed.  He had a large unit of Savage Orc Boarboyz that I shot and magicked down to two models (that survived the game).  They even survived a charge from a unit of Wardancers.  On turn six there was a huge scrum between my Dryads and Treeman plus his General and BSB’s unit.  My Dryads broke on the last turn and gave him the victory points.  My Treeman had to test at –1 and passed easily.  I did get half the VPs for his General and I killed the Traitor with a good round of melee.  Truly my dice went very flat this melee or the game would have been over a turn earlier.  

Win to the Wood Elves!

Summary:

Bob Shippee is one of the nicest persons you can ever play.  He won Best Player at Baltimore his year.  The last time I played him he mopped the floor with me using a Beastmen army.  He didn’t lose his cool one time, even when his Boarboyz failed a critical animosity check right in front of all of my archers-truly a class act.  

End Game:

We sat around at the end of the tourney chewing the fat.  The two players I suspected would win the tournament, had a couple of bad games and I knew it was going to be close.  The one guy that I thought would win won Best Army and that is when I knew I had won.  Finally the monkey is off my back.  

Did I wish I had won with my beloved Empire?  Sure I do, but the tables at the Dragon Caves make that very hard.  I was also using an army that I had only played three times in my life, but I was well read on their tactics.  Except for a couple of mistakes with my Glade Riders the games went pretty much my way.  Thanks to my opponents, thanks to Brad Grinstead for helping me finish my army at midnight the night before, and finally thanks to the Dragon Caves for caring enough to run this tournament.
"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do no let your heart rejoice"

Offline Senor D

• Members
[OT] Traitor!
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2004, 02:49:52 AM »
booby worms...

:lol:
yep.

Offline General Helstrom

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Chicks dig moustaches
[OT] Traitor!
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2004, 08:50:55 AM »
I'm glad to hear you didn't buy your victory in Imperial blood - kinda makes it OK :)

Again, Atch, congratulations.
I don't know what Caesar thought when he got to the Ides of March
Don't know what Houdini bought when he went to the store
But I sure do miss the eighties

Offline Karl Schimmelfennig

• Members
  • Servant of the Slann
[OT] Traitor!
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2004, 10:46:44 AM »
Atch, I wouldn't worry too much about our jibes. It's all very light-hearted...I think. Well, mine is, at least.

No-one says you HAVE to play the Empire. God knows, I doubt we could find anyone with your perserverance in the face of so much abysmal luck. I'm just glad you've broken your duck.

You should start a Lizard army - Kaz and myself would be more than happy to school you in the ways of being the cheesiest snake this side of the Mississippi.
Famous Quotes from History:

"To beat the French."

The Iron Duke summarises his battle plan at Waterloo.

Offline jlutin

• Members
  • In Development Now
[OT] Traitor!
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2004, 01:46:35 PM »
Aye, knowing what a stores terrain is like is worth it's weight in Elf Winches, errr, make that gold.  One of my goals is to make sure my store does not get a reputation for too much or too little terrain.  It should be a mystery every time you play and every game should be different.
Obama has spent more time playing golf than meeting with Republicans, his Deficit Commission, his Job Council and his Cabinet COMBINED.

Offline Brother Huss

• Members
[OT] Traitor!
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2004, 02:11:45 PM »
A great and terrible day! When I first found this site I came to admire Atchman and his imperial ways. But now, his victory comes from the weeds! You must be a true statesman to get them to let a human command one of their armies...sorry, I just can't think of you as a weedie general. Congratulations on a well deserved victory.
When you win you teach. When you lose you learn. Come let me teach you.

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
[OT] Traitor!
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2004, 02:19:39 PM »
Okay, enough with the ribbing.  Remember I just missed a win last time with my Empire.  The next time I go I'll probably take the TVI-Harsh list I've been working on.

Offline MeridianGeneral

• Members
[OT] Traitor!
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2004, 02:23:23 PM »
Quote from: Karl Schimmelfennig
Atch, I wouldn't worry too much about our jibes. It's all very light-hearted...I think. Well, mine is, at least.

Mine too, but I think TVI might have taken it a little personal. Congrats again, how did the talk with Borderwars go with Davey?
Now where are my balls? The juggleing ones you perv!

• Members
  • Empire GT Winner
[OT] Traitor!
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2004, 01:56:58 AM »
Nope...nothing personal at all! I'm just ribbing the Atch man and his abysmal luck of late with our beloved empire lads. Randy is truly struggling to find a winning style army that fits his personal tastes. It can be very rough at times, and I've seen him vascillate between hard hitting armies, and softer more subtle armies...and now to an entirely different race just to cleanse his palate.

Congrats on the win!

The Village Idiot

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
[OT] Traitor!
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2004, 03:08:49 AM »
Thanks!  I knew you were just funnin'.  I haven't abandoned the Empire, in fact I'm trying to plan my next army; perhaps something for Baltimore.  

I may paint on some more swordsmen and use the models I took to my first GT.  I can rebase them and give them some highlights.  February is just too close to start another big painting project.  

My other thought is to play my Army of Middenland one last time, but this time as a balanced force instead of a cavalry army.  The first time I took them to Baltimore, I thought they were pretty balanced.  Perhaps one less knight unit, one less character and a bunch more foot troops.  I did start on a unit of Middenheim Swordsmen (dark blue and white).  

Instead of trying to use the Army of Middenland list, maybe I'll just use a regular Empire list but use my AOM models.  That list is just too limited for play as a balanced force.  I can still use all of my converted character models.  I think I might have one unit of spearmen, one of swordsmen, and a block of converted greatswords from all of my bits.  

Now what do I do with 40 Knights of the White Wolves?   :?