home

Author Topic: Is Fantasy Back - Everything comes round again. Even squares  (Read 34190 times)

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
Re: Is Fantasy Back - Everything comes round again. Even squares
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2019, 11:42:24 PM »
I've actually seen a fair bit of gossip pointing out that GW has been really experimenting with movement trays. In 40k apoc, the LotR games, etc. I think it could be very possible to make models that rank up, even if its not quite as tight a rank as it use to be.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2019, 12:00:36 AM »
I've actually seen a fair bit of gossip pointing out that GW has been really experimenting with movement trays. In 40k apoc, the LotR games, etc. I think it could be very possible to make models that rank up, even if its not quite as tight a rank as it use to be.

I would like this. I still have a complete tzeentch army, high elf and an entire empire army still in WFB mode. I think I’ll just shelve these for a few more years. The  night gobbo army will be transformed to gloomspite however. Lots of work and lots to look forward to so I just need to finish the damn room and I’m good to go forever.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Qrab

• Members
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2019, 04:00:49 AM »

People have been using movement trays in 40K Apocalypse & LotR games because the games would take 2-3 times longer without them. The same is true for AoS games I’ve observed. Movement trays are a necessity in all of these games because although they use  ostensibly skirmish rules, the size of the armies in standard games is too large to be skirmish games. I expect it to be the same with whatever game results from this announcement.

Offline Loran

• Members
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2019, 07:50:08 AM »
Love the news, even if they are very premature as to the mentioned timeline of "some years"! This was the nudge that got me to visit the site once again, just to see how many were hyped about the news :icon_biggrin: Great to see that I'm not the only one  :icon_wink: :eusa_clap:

And as I've not really had the time for even a small game in a couple of years, I'm more excited about the possibility of new models than the possible rules. I know that the old gaming group has woken up with the announcement so maybe we'll start playing again... We'll see...
Middenheim marches to war, albeit slowly:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=41827

<+Hyarion> "Loran may cause addiction to mindless online games"

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
  • Misinterpreting GW rules since 1991
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2019, 07:48:03 AM »
Be interesting to see what they do with this. I imagine we'll get streamlined rules a la 40K and Sigmar and probably fewer models in an army so people aren't turned away by the cost to buy in (goodbye Horde units). Plus, if it takes fewer miniatures they'll hope for people to buy GW figs instead of a competitor's. I also wonder if they'll change the style of armor and clothes away from the Renaissance to something more fantastical.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.

— Popularly but incorrectly attributed to William Gibson

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2019, 11:50:55 AM »
I am most hopeful for what this will do for the forum :happy:

That was actually my first thought.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2019, 12:47:03 PM »
I do hope they keep the landsknecht style and stay true to the Old style. Go fantastic in AoS but be more grounded in the Old World.

At least I hope so.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2019, 01:43:42 PM »
They'd be foolish if they didn't.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2019, 01:47:45 PM »
They'd be foolish if they didn't.

Have to agree. That was so huge in the old world. Why bring it back to change the setting. I’m really like Mathi’s allusion to Magnus era stuff
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2019, 02:36:47 PM »
Well give us some rules, and new figures, the latter preferably customizable, and we'll call it good.

A Magnus era supplement of some kind could be cool, but that is very Empire-centric, so I'm not betting on it.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2019, 03:26:10 PM »
I think the whole game is Empire-centric and everyone else adjusts to this... right? Usually the realms of men is center and exotic races are based upon what going on in their time line.

I wonder if it allows us to first identify with men and their politics and either join or go up against with an opposing  army to destroy this political environment.  :::cheers::: 
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Cèsar de Quart

• Members
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2019, 05:58:35 PM »
I think the whole game is Empire-centric and everyone else adjusts to this... right? Usually the realms of men is center and exotic races are based upon what going on in their time line.

I wonder if it allows us to first identify with men and their politics and either join or go up against with an opposing  army to destroy this political environment.  :::cheers:::

Honestly, if they made Nippon, Cathay and Ind armies, they may become very good sellers. They may be getting the data right now, but China and India are clearly big markets. Do they play board games? I don't know, but the Tau sold like gangbusters. Samurai have always been popular, Tang style China armies are big now in computer games, and have been a staple of the vg medium since Dinasty Warriors.

But yes, WHFB was the Empire vs their neighbours, which must have been harsh for all the people playing High Elves.

Now GW has the chance to give us minis for Magnus, Mandred Ratslayer, Ottilia (both I and III) and, of course, Boris Goldgather. I want fat ugly Boris on top of a throne commanding his army with an indolent grin while all his marshals look disgusted around him. It could be a fun mechanic; his army is terribly afraid of his Caligulesque style of command, which gives very good buffs to L and M, but as he gets wounded, his marshals abandon him and his army turns against him.

Bonus points if he looks like a certain other famous Boris of British politics.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2019, 09:32:04 PM »

Honestly, if they made Nippon, Cathay and Ind armies, they may become very good sellers. They may be getting the data right now, but China and India are clearly big markets. Do they play board games? I don't know, but the Tau sold like gangbusters. Samurai have always been popular, Tang style China armies are big now in computer games, and have been a staple of the vg medium since Dinasty Warriors.

But yes, WHFB was the Empire vs their neighbours, which must have been harsh for all the people playing High Elves.

Now GW has the chance to give us minis for Magnus, Mandred Ratslayer, Ottilia (both I and III) and, of course, Boris Goldgather. I want fat ugly Boris on top of a throne commanding his army with an indolent grin while all his marshals look disgusted around him. It could be a fun mechanic; his army is terribly afraid of his Caligulesque style of command, which gives very good buffs to L and M, but as he gets wounded, his marshals abandon him and his army turns against him.

Bonus points if he looks like a certain other famous Boris of British politics.

I think those kinds of armies would be amazing but they could start off small and make them a themed Warcry gang ( whatever they are called) lol

Old world through the Empire time line would be cool, there is so much they can do , question is will they do it?  :unsure:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2019, 03:41:32 AM »
I can see them trying those places for Warcry. I really don't seem them making whole armies. Remember that Brettonians, Arthurian knights, the most iconic medieval thing ever, were one of the worst selling armies. I don't think Tau sold because they were Asian themed. The style was different. Very modern tech, big neat looking anime suits, etc. None of that translates over to fantasy super well.

I'd prefer they not try and rush out new factions myself. I'd rather they spend time making the existing factions updated and good, before moving on to other areas.

I do really like the idea of models for the more historical characters. Magnus, some of the legendary runesmiths, there are a ton of good options available there!

There's a good chance they'll keep the landsknecht look considering it's still the same imagery in the AoS free people book. It would make sense to leave that, but change the old world.

Offline Doombull

• Members
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2019, 06:41:14 AM »
I can see them trying those places for Warcry. I really don't seem them making whole armies. Remember that Brettonians, Arthurian knights, the most iconic medieval thing ever, were one of the worst selling armies. I don't think Tau sold because they were Asian themed. The style was different. Very modern tech, big neat looking anime suits, etc. None of that translates over to fantasy super well.

I'd prefer they not try and rush out new factions myself. I'd rather they spend time making the existing factions updated and good, before moving on to other areas.

I do really like the idea of models for the more historical characters. Magnus, some of the legendary runesmiths, there are a ton of good options available there!

There's a good chance they'll keep the landsknecht look considering it's still the same imagery in the AoS free people book. It would make sense to leave that, but change the old world.

I am in agreement with this. They're definitely not going to start out focusing on factions which never existed in the game originally. They've already got numerous armies that they're going to need to look at. I don't expect GW to throw the resources at this game to even take Fantasy immediately where it was prior to its cancellation. I expect they might even expand the base sizes, and try to get some AOS factions into the game with their AOS redone models.

Examples: The new Slaves to Darkness? Beastmen. Daemons 100%. Maybe even expand the current Orruk range and just use them.

If The Old World is massively successful, we'll get more dedicated models. I expect at the start, it'll be rereleases (as in, new sculpts of old kits) for factions like Empire, and maybe a few other basic factions.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2019, 12:29:45 PM »
Introducing figures from Cathay, Nippon, and Ind as Warcry bands could be good.  One of bands already reminds me of the cultures in south western Border Princes.  I see Tau armies around here, and I have a few Tau figures, although I don't usually see them as Asian, yet understand why folks do.

Agreed. :::cheers:::

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2019, 01:22:00 AM »
If I ever bought 40k, it would have been Imperial Guard, Orks and Tau for me.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2019, 03:23:14 AM »
I am surprised to hear Bretonnians didn’t sell well. Everyone I have chatted with like the models and they sell for crazy dollars on eBay. I dropped a lot on them too.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2019, 09:38:42 AM »
Painting heraldry is hard.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2019, 09:47:18 AM »
Decals have went a long way since the old days. With the likes of micro sol/set around I would gladly tackle some brett heraldry.

On a sidenote, I wonder if the latest goblin wolf rider warband and the chaos warrior models were made with the Old World in mind? I was expecting the next incarnation of chaos warriors to be at least orruk sized!
"All right... we'll call it a draw".

My fantasy-themed terrain log

Offline Doombull

• Members
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2019, 09:50:49 AM »
Decals have went a long way since the old days. With the likes of micro sol/set around I would gladly tackle some brett heraldry.

On a sidenote, I wonder if the latest goblin wolf rider warband and the chaos warrior models were made with the Old World in mind? I was expecting the next incarnation of chaos warriors to be at least orruk sized!

My only disappointment with the wolf riders is that they'll be hard to convert to what I'd done with them before.

Goblin 'eavy cavalry. Shield, light armour, mounts, my 4+ save little buggers were great. I added plates of armour to them and used them as traditional cav, they only did well, like, twice. But it was funny when my opponent gave me an odd look when I would declare charge on their Chaos Knights with x10 useless gobbos, lol.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2019, 10:09:48 AM »
Thats fun! I like the idea of that!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2019, 10:24:47 AM »
Goblin cavalry for the win! :icon_biggrin: :::cheers:::

Offline Doombull

• Members
« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2019, 10:42:20 AM »
Goblin cavalry for the win! :icon_biggrin: :::cheers:::

Goblin 'eavy cavalry, ya git! Dat's where da gobbo's iz chargin' in, wiff all da shiniest bitz dey can find! :P

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2019, 01:33:56 PM »
Oddly enough I love that concept as well! I am planning on making a 12 strong Wolf Rider unit for 8th edition, with 2 Big Bosses and a Lvl 1 shaman.
Heroes with magic weapons go in the first rank, the shaman goes in the back casting Sneaky Stabbing for those sweet re-rolls if they get a flank charge (which is prefferably what will happen). The big bosses add in the punch. It probably won't work but I wanna try anyway  :icon_biggrin:.

I am planning on converting these new wolfriders for this purpose, but I am not sure if I can squeeze them on a cav base!
"All right... we'll call it a draw".

My fantasy-themed terrain log