home

Author Topic: Warhammer: The Old World Lore Speculation  (Read 2927 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Warhammer: The Old World Lore Speculation
« on: November 18, 2019, 02:52:29 PM »
(Hmmm ... not sure if you're a serious forum member or not.  We've been getting quite a bit of spam here lately, so lets hope you stick around and are active.  Welcome to W-E! :::cheers::: )

The reality is die hard Warhammer followers of the Old World appreciate being able to read fluff for various eras of the history.  Perhaps the new gaming being promised will just be a one shot deal with a game in a box, or maybe real rules released with lots of new figures too.  Whatever the case might be, if it comes to pass, having rules that players can use for multiple gaming purposes could be wise, and not just making this a one off deal, but something that allows for the continued use and play in the Old World across eras could be wise.

So here is a question for the original poster of this thread ... what makes you think they'll have this in the Magnus the Pious time period :icon_question:

(Hmmm ... well the original poster, it has been determined was a spammer, although the topic seems to be a decent one.)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 01:08:41 PM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Cèsar de Quart

• Members
Re: Warhammer: The Old World Lore Speculation
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 07:12:46 PM »
I actually have been wishing for a Tamurkhan kind of campaign book, made by the good folks at Forgeworld, people who understand strategy and real campaigns, about three key events in the history of the Empire:

1- The Great War against Chaos where Magnus rose to the top.

2- Several of the campaigns at the height of the Wars of the Three Emperors.

3- The Wars of the Vampire Counts.

Bonus points if they took us to the Crusades, with Bretonnia and old fashioned Bretonnia-style Empire knights. It would have been a nice way for GW to sell more Bretonnian knights. Great plastic kit, not too popular an army. Make cool campaign rules for the Crusades, bolster sales, what else do you want?

Oh wait, blow up the world. Of course.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 01:01:52 PM »
It is a Spambot. However good question and topic starter!

My guess is nothing adventurous, just back to usual old timeline.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 01:15:05 PM »
The topic was so well worded that it made me wonder if it might have been a GW plant to get some feedback going on what some were thinking about there.

- - -

Most of the whole timeline can be recreated through gaming.  It'll be interesting to see if GW goes through with this, and why wouldn't they with the amount of buzz that has happened since it was announced they were looking at something like this for 2 to 3 years out.  It'll also be interesting to see what their approach will be, while nice to see the new logo regarding the Old World.  I am carefully optimistic, yet balancing this with keeping my expectations low.  Suspect any players who came into the hobby with the W:AoS stuff could also gravitate towards an Old World approach as well, and then it'll be important to have the "lore" of the world available for their initial consumption and understanding.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 02:08:17 PM by GamesPoet »

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 01:32:14 PM »
All hail the return of the warrior priest!
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 01:40:38 PM »
I really would love to have the Warrior priests return. And in a way, a setting in the Age of Magnus the Pious would not be too bad.

But during the earlier periods there were no Colleges of Magic, for example, and they are pretty important. So I think we will se a setting just before the End Times.

But there may very well be campaigns in older settings.

Also, setting it during the Age of Magnus the Pious or such would make it very Empire centric and I do not think that would go down to well with people playing Lizzies, elves, etc. So the setting would most likely be more open but who knows, maybe they will include specific scenarios or expansions..

Anyway, we do not really need a mor exact setting than we usually had. They would be more than enough.

And when to the next W-E campaign start?  :smile2:
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Wolfgang aus Wien

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 02:17:23 PM »
The absolutely best thing they could do at this point is to go with the standard soap opera narrative and tell us that Age of Sigmar was nothing more than someone's bad warpstone trip.
Grey Seer Squeakytail imbibed a l'il too much green glowy stuff and the resulting sick, twisted visions were 'The End Times'.
Speaking of which, I think that whole deal stems from a basic misunderstanding (or, possibly, deliberate misinterpretation) of mythology.
The Nordic Ragnarök isn't 'The End Of The World' or 'The Death Of The Gods' , it's New Year's.
The old year 'dies', a new year begins.
It's a cyclical worldview, as opposed to the linear worldview of Abrahamism.
The...tone..of the email announcing the return of the Old World bothers me a little - 'classic Archaon', et. al. - seems to be written by and for not-too-sharp grade schoolers, but I suppose that's what we get after about a decade's worth of video games, Warhammer Adventures, action figures, warrior princesses, soy latte and the like.
Can't quite believe they really mean it when they say it's 2-3 years or more in the future, that's probably a ploy to gauge people's interest level.
How many fanboys will batter down their virtual doors with messages demanding a release N O W !!!!........?
I was going to swing by my only surviving game store today anyway, I'll ask them how we feel about all this.......

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 02:39:36 PM »
I'm not sure about whether or not building the hype is good or bad, probably a bit of both.  But there's likely only so much speculation that's even worth it.  The Old World has power, and it seems GW recognizes this.  In the meantime, 2 to 3 years gives them plenty of time for selling more W:AoS stuff and developing that lore further, which seems to be the current path they are on anyway.  The timing of the 2 to 3 years out is ok by me, and not really surprising.  They need to develop a set of rules, and create more figures for it.  The lore is there, so where they use that seems minor compared to rules and figures.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2019, 03:27:27 PM »
I think it might be a go between the old system and the new ( deplorable) AOS. this way you can by miniatures for both settings. Comes down to $$$ .. that would require a lot of sucking up to the boys they slighted when they killed their world, so I'm expecting good stuff or at least ok stuff with great looking miniatures.
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 04:14:09 PM »
I am personaly curious what implications will the 'Old World' subtitle bring.

If you look at the map they've used in the warhammer community post, it is mostly the Old World with a bit of darklands. If they don't want to overextend themselves, that's what they could focus at first. Just the empire, greenskins, dwarfs, vampire counts etc. No elves, ogres or lizardmen at first. These can all be explored later in future books or expansions. Kinda like Horus Heresy does it and mirroring the Total War games a bit too. 

And I can't imagine they won't do a big, pricey starter set with two armies in it. Remember this is where the money's at, in selling us new kits. Maybe the box will contain a mix of old and new stuff to cut down on the production costs a bit. There is precedence for this - the new Lotr starter was done exactly like this.
"All right... we'll call it a draw".

My fantasy-themed terrain log

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2019, 04:19:27 PM »
Yep, selling more figures is the idea.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2019, 06:11:00 PM »

I am ok with that if they look ( old worldly) lol  :-P
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2019, 06:24:01 PM »
I am ok with that if they look ( old worldly) lol  :-P
Not sure what the tongue sticking out means in this situation.