home

Author Topic: WP or Wizard?  (Read 2627 times)

Offline Boris Todbringer

• Members
WP or Wizard?
« on: June 26, 2003, 01:45:12 AM »
I'm not sure which one is better! I don't play anything the WP hates that often, and his spells are not that blockbuster, but I'm really not sure that a Lvl 2 mage is that much better in terms of how much it swings the game by. How many people regularly play the WP if they know that they aren't facing chaos, undead, or skaven?
You've got questions? I've got a cannon.

Offline George

• Members
WP or Wizard?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2003, 02:31:53 AM »
I believe it depends on the style of your army your putting together.
Thus saying a wizard should avoid combat if at all possible, essentially anything that charges will make mince meat of them. The WP as a magic user is not brilliant but as you have alluded to is much better in HTH.

For me I tend to use both. Together they give a good combo of magic attack and defence, plus the warrior priest is not too bad a choice as general. Using together I usually give wizard the wiz staff and dispel scroll and the WP armour metoric iron. This gives a dispel pool of 4 plus a chance to effectively use some spells or prayers.

Note: In 2000pts I generally round out my chars. with a BSB and Capt.+ Pegasus. Hence the WP General.
My Armies:
Empire
Ogres

inspectormidget

WP or Wizard?
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2003, 08:33:14 AM »
i have to correct you here cos there is ulric WP and wizards

but it deppens on there items and level like just said WP are better  in conbat

Offline squirrelboy

• Members
haha
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2003, 08:33:39 PM »
aaahhh the age old question finally shows up on this forum.
It depends on the army you are facing

I personally always go for a wiz as my knights are already led by a captain with a +-1 rerollable armor save.  I also preffer to have more dispell scrolls.
SqWEaK

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
WP or Wizard?
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2003, 12:20:55 PM »
in 2000 points i usually take a grand master or an elector on foot, a captain to lead one of my soldier reg. and 2 battle wizards, if facing undead or deamons i allways replace the captain with a warrior priest. sometimes i even replace both a wizard and the cap'n for priests.. how i love soulfire...
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Albrecht von Hinkel

• Members
WP or Wizard?
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2003, 01:10:31 PM »
In my last tournament I used Elector Count on foot with my swordsmen, BSB with my swordsmen, 1 battle wizard and 1 WP with my knights.

My knights was a real 'steamroller' because of the WP, he helped them get rid of that 'last one' all the time. But in my recent armies I tend to use EC, BSB, 2 BW. It really depends on who you're facing really or your style of play (as previously mentioned)

Offline Sigmar Heldenhammer

• Members
WP or Wizard?
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2003, 05:33:36 PM »
I think it depends on a few thing.
1. your enemy.
2. Your army list.
3. your style of play.
A wizard is more useful alone, but if you already have one, a WP will be a better addition than the second wizard. If you have a captian then go for the wizard. The WP has a good magic and fighting presence, but neither is supurb. If I was you, i'd reveiw my list and mates armies and see which one fits in best. Hope that helps!
"There is no problem that cannot be solved with cannons"

Offline Steel Griffon

• Members
WP or Wizard?
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2003, 10:17:21 PM »
Neither if your brave enough! Empire has enough men and armour to ignore magic. Half the time your only taking D6 S4 hits. I prefer an EC on a griffon and a captain on a pegasus. Kill enemy wizards as a priority with knights, pistoliers, artillery and flyers, stay out of arc, build large units and overwhelm with a wealth of targets. Plus you haven't wasted any points if you're opponent takes a scroll caddy.

I don't rate the WP. Decide what you need and then go for either a captain in plate or a wizard. The WP isn't great in combat and his power 3 prayers are weak. Seems like a bad compromise to me.

Combat311

Wizards!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2003, 02:29:31 AM »
I like taking two Wizards one with the Rod of power.  I like magic and the WP doen't have magic.  There bound spell suck!!!  With 6 cast dices and RoD of Power to change dice around is a big +.  If you are taking WP for hand to hand, I have one question for you why do you want to get into hand to hand??  Human suck in hand to hand that why we have the Detachment rules.  If you are player against 8 or more cast dices WP suck.  You need the Rod of Power or one or two Dispel scrolls.  

P.S

I hate Dispel scroll!!

Offline squig87

• Members
  • The Dude
WP or Wizard?
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2003, 04:32:33 PM »
I might argue that the WP is good in combat, not himself but the effect he has on the unit. Hatred is a really powerful rule and If you put a WP in a unit of knights, he is a very powerful character. In 1000pt games I use 2 wizards and a WP as my general. The bound spell isnt particulary powerful on its own but if you play with other mages it makes the WP's soulfire "another thing to worry about". If I'm playing a non evil player i wont use a warrior priest but otherwise i think he;s a good purchase.
Citizen Erased

Offline Elkerlyc

• Members
WP or Wizard?
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2003, 05:56:00 PM »
I agree. My warrior priest has made my pistoliers the most lethal unit I can field. Most armies you encounter nowadays are either undead or Chaos. If not then it must be Skaven. This goes double for tournaments.

Re-rolling hits in hth with S4 ap attacks is devastating. I've seen them break Saurus warriors and Chosen Warriors, even if they were flanl/rear charges.

I even overran into Chosen knights and killed them outright. Admittedly there were only 3 left but you get the picture.

If pistoliers and WP were a woman I'd marry her.  :lol:
History, although sometimes made up of the few acts of the great, is more often shaped by the many acts of the small.

Offline squig87

• Members
  • The Dude
WP or Wizard?
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2003, 10:12:29 PM »
hahahaha  :lol: I like that analogy. I like the fact that people dont rate WP's, then its more of a supprise when they whack a unit with its hatred!
Citizen Erased

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
WP or Wizard?
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2003, 03:04:01 AM »
My ace unit is 5 IC knights, Full command, War Banner, WP of Sigmar, heavy armor, great weapon, and Icon of Magnus.  I don't leave home without him.  

The other problem I have, is how to get the Battle Captain on Pegasus in the army if I have the WP.  So now I take EC, WP, BC on Pegasus, and scroll caddie.  I hate giving up a phase, but the Pegasus is just too useful to drop.  

In the past, I dropped the Pegasus and took EC, WP, BM, BM.  This actually works very well too.  I see no advantage to this combination, except against Undead.  If I get a LOS to charge a necromancer, the question is moot, which is better.  Reduce the Undead by one little magic user, and you can castrate their magic phase.  

Undead are still the hardest army for the Empire to defeat.  They don't take panic tests from anything.  Our shooting phase is diminished by a great deal, but not useless.
"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do no let your heart rejoice"

Offline Feanor

• Members
WP or Wizard?
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2003, 03:05:28 AM »
Atchman that is a good point you make with the Undead and Empire missile and artillery fire, I had never really considered the fact that we lose the pyschological edge over the opposing player.  

Back to the topic I personally have not much used the WP as my main opponent has been an Orc and Goblin player against whom the Warrior Priest is as useful as a weasel in a cardboard shirt.  

I would however use the WP against the Undead and Chaos most of the other evil armies don't present us with too many heavily armoured enemies for whom the priest is vital in killing with the Hatred bonus he gives to the troops who fight with him.
If I were witty, this would be my chance to shine.  But not everyone can be brilliant