home

Author Topic: Latest Recruits  (Read 8161 times)

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
Re: Latest Recruits
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2020, 02:56:11 PM »
I don’t understand those cannons.

Like I do. But I don’t like them all that much other than the laugh factor.
Yeah, they are special  :wink:
I don't know how you can come up with such a thing, but somehow it became an iconic thing. Funny and good for a laugh, but iconic none the less. That is why I bought the replica, to put in a small old Chaos Dwarf army.
I once saw an original one for sale for 150 euro on Crisis '19, I'm crazy, but not that crazy. So I'm happy with the this one.
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2020, 01:23:27 AM »
Of course. Affordable replica is fine. Sensible even.

How does one come up with something like that - great question!
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2020, 05:47:51 PM »
I think I just came close to completing my collection of old Empire/Mordheim Miniatures with one big purchase. I bought a War Wagon, a full set of Marienburgers, all the Witch Hunters + some other single miniatures - Everything unpainted. I'm already quite curious to find out if I have been scammed one way or another (recasts?). But you need a little bit of excitement in your life after all ...  :icon_wink:

I'll see once the package arrives ... if something arrives.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 05:50:02 PM by Victor »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2020, 05:56:51 PM »
Sounds like a nice haul, congrats! :icon_biggrin: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2020, 06:02:14 PM »
I think I just came close to completing my collection of old Empire/Mordheim Miniatures with one big purchase. I bought a War Wagon, a full set of Marienburgers, all the Witch Hunters + some other single miniatures - Everything unpainted. I'm already quite curious to find out if I have been scammed one way or another (recasts?). But you need a little bit of excitement in your life after all ...  :icon_wink:

I'll see once the package arrives ... if something arrives.

Sounds pretty sweet. I had the situation a while ago where I got hold of the Reiklander and Middenlander Captains (the ones with foot & mounted variants and multiple weapon choices) but they were clearly recasts when they arrived, Middenlander in particular was pretty poor and has a badly malformed foot.

Fingers crossed yours turn out to be legit!

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2020, 09:42:46 AM »
I recently bought some Mordheim miniatures and they looked very good. They are clearly recasts, but very well done. Some extra moldlines, which still can be removed.
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2020, 08:37:56 PM »
Took advantage of the free shipping deal and placed an order at Knightmare Miniatures for some goblins. Ordered the trebuchet, a chariot and some wolf riders sans wolves.
"All right... we'll call it a draw".

My fantasy-themed terrain log

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2020, 06:00:54 PM »
Recently picked up two of the 1980's Citadel C46 drummers.

First is the 1987 'Travelling Players' drummer;

http://www.solegends.com/citc46/198710tplayers/index.htm

Second is the 1988 'Townsfolk' drummer;

http://www.solegends.com/citc46/198803townsfolk/index.htm

They're essentially the same guy with a few minor tweaks - will probably use them to pad out some command elements of my old state troop regiments or possibly militia players.

Stock photos from S.O.L.

Offline Heinrich von Kampfmann

• Members
  • May Sigmar guide my blade
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2020, 07:49:55 PM »
By trading and selling some OOP models, including Karl Franz on Deathclaw and the walking Archaon from games day, I have been able to start a new army, Dark elves!

Right now I have 60 spearmen, 80 crossbows (pew pew), 50 black guards, 2 hydras, 2 reaper bolt throwers, some characters and more incoming ;)
Planning to buy the warcry warband, to use in warcry and as assasins  :Ohmy:

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2020, 08:25:36 PM »
By trading and selling some OOP models, including Karl Franz on Deathclaw and the walking Archaon from games day, I have been able to start a new army, Dark elves!

Right now I have 60 spearmen, 80 crossbows (pew pew), 50 black guards, 2 hydras, 2 reaper bolt throwers, some characters and more incoming ;)
Planning to buy the warcry warband, to use in warcry and as assasins  :Ohmy:

Heinrich is back and it sounds like a mean army!!
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2020, 11:33:36 PM »
Package arrived today with a fancy new Fay Enchantress and THrogg the Troll King! New characters to lead some armies.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2020, 01:33:25 AM »
Package arrived today with a fancy new Fay Enchantress and THrogg the Troll King! New characters to lead some armies.

That’s an awesome package! The troll king especially 😺
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2020, 10:18:12 AM »
Awesome. Which enchantress? Older or newer?

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2020, 02:38:44 AM »
Its the finecast enchantress, so I think thats the newer one?

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2020, 12:08:43 PM »
I've actually just picked up the Imperial Nobility Blood Bowl team - really quite impressed!

I got them initially to nab some bits for conversions because they're a lot more 'Empirey' than the previous human team, they've got some lovely puff n slash, armour plating and impressive moustachios etc. but I'm actually enjoying them so much I'm very tempted to get another set to keep as a BB team, just for the hell of it!

The only downside, as with everything else from GW nowadays is their scale. Height-wise they are just about passable with the newer ed state troops and characters but they dwarf anything 6th ed and older and even against the new stuff they are pretty chunkily built - they look almost caricature like in places with big over-sized hands and feet.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2020, 12:56:51 PM »
Throgg is a great model. Always wanted to make a troll army. Hmmm....
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2020, 05:41:28 PM »
Throgg is easily one of the first chaos models I looked at and went "Wow, I want that. I'll find a use for it."

I already plan to introduce him as the boss model in a coming D&D game. lets see how they deal with a clever troll.

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2020, 10:34:40 AM »
Nice!

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2021, 03:26:33 PM »
My regimental mascot just arrived in the post, was the only 'Imperial Citizens' element I was missing from the collection so happy to have finally landed it!

Now which regiment needs a massive bear in it's midst... I wonder?...

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2021, 01:09:24 PM »
Just bagged myself both the classic metal swordsmen AND the plug-in swordsmen too, as well as 22 of the classic plastic monopose Altdorf Halberdiers!

Needless to say I'm pretty chuffed  :-P :::cheers:::

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2021, 02:39:42 PM »
Congrats! :::cheers:::

A good ways back now, I picked up a box of the 5th/6th edition swords/halberds, and a box of the 5th/6th edition crossbows too.   Back in the day the crossbows came in a box of 16!  The plastic sprues are the same ones for the swords and halberds, but they kicked in a blister pack of metal crossbow components as part of the kit.

Those kinds of pick ups are nice, when ya can get them. :icon_biggrin:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2021, 03:06:35 PM »
Those are the guys I'm currently working on with my army.

Got 2 units of the swordsmen (1 is an old unit from my youth that I've re-vamped), and one unit each of the halberds, crossbows and handguns, all with the original metal components.

The only difficult bit is that unit number of 16! and then the slightly later version comes with 16 plus a plastic command frame to make 19... so I have been mixing in some of the classic metal troops to get units up to a nice round 20 or 25 in some cases :biggriin:

I will get my own thread started to document my (slow) progress on things... eventually... :dry:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2021, 04:15:12 PM »
I'd love to find a box of the 5th edition hand gunners to pick up.

Also, I have a 6th edition battalion box. This came with 12 knights, 20 infantry (yes, five sprues of 4), the command sprue (general on horse, captain, banner, musician), cannon with 3 crew, and 8 militia.  Gave the militia to a youngster as a starting project for him, and robbed 4 infantry bodies for gosh knows which conversions.  So I'm back to 16 infantry plus 3 command on these, but only 2 bodies for command provided ... so 18 full figures there.

Same situation with the individual box of infantry, which is from 6th edition kit from 2003, 16 infantry and 3 command, but only 2 bodies for the 3 command, so a max of 18 full figures there.

However, I have two boxes of the 6th edition "detachment" kits which came with 8 of the 6th edition hand gunners, and 8 of the 6th edition spearmen.  One box is unopened, but the box that has been opened I used only 4 of the spearmen to add to a 6th edition starter set spear block of 16, plus a Mordheim young blood spearman, and 3 command for a total of 24 spearmen.

That means ... I can convert the other four spearmen into halberds, giving me 4 + 18 + 18 = 40, and that will give me a block of 20 swords and 20 halberds ... cahcoo! :icon_mrgreen: :::cheers:::

By the way, with the eight unopened spearmen, those could also be used as halberds freeing up some of the infantry for adding more swordsmen, and then I'd have a block of 24 of each. Tada! :icon_idea: :icon_cool:

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2021, 04:45:58 PM »
I did actually have 2 boxes of the 5th ed handgunners, the first was one of the first ever sets of Warhammer I ever got when I was a youngling, the second was a more recent purchase a few years ago.

Unfortunately the first box full of handgunners went somewhat AWOL in my years away from the hobby, a handful of them have resurfaced but are in a very bad way (splodged full of glue and paint in my childish glee) so they're not really salvageable. I have stripped them down as best I can and I think they'll just come in handy as test troops when I get around to painting my army.

Offline Michael Stockin

• Members
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2021, 02:13:50 PM »
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 07:05:27 PM by Michael Stockin »
So long and thanks for all the fish.