home

Author Topic: What AOS armies do you play?  (Read 3775 times)

Offline Old Stonebeard

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: What AOS armies do you play?
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2021, 02:45:22 AM »
Ayy, good to see you, Spiney. Was great having you back in Animosity this summer, even if the Undivided were the least active Coalition  :closed-eyes:

With recent releases, I find myself at a cross-roads, with my interest in Blades of Khorne fading and my interest in Hedonites of Slaanesh sparked by the new mortal units. On the flip side, I've already bought, built, and primed my entire BoK army, while the only Slaanesh I have is a Demons Start Collecting I won in a Twitter raffle.

Alex
you know you can just play 8th, right?

Quote from: Midaski
You think he would tell Zak and not his staff?
Even (Grutch) is not that insensitive

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2021, 05:19:42 PM »
I'm really considering spending 2021 building a full, legal sized fyreslayer army. Although I'm also in the mood to just collect all the little underworlds warbands and make them a showcase collection.

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2021, 08:18:14 AM »
Both excellent choices. I love the warbands, myself. Pick and choose, no huge commitment.

Offline Old Stonebeard

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2021, 09:52:59 PM »
With the new Warcry books that just dropped, you can pair Underworlds warbands in the same Grand Alliance to make really characterful Warcry warbands. 'Ardboyz with Brutes and Nighthaunt w/ Skeletons come to mind.

Speaking as somebody who's built and painted 2k Fyreslayers, unless you really love the Vulkite sculpts, don't go Vulkite heavy. I find them a bit awkward, and if I could do it over again, I'd go all Hearthguard as they're just "dwarfier" sculpts.

Alex

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2021, 01:09:23 AM »
Oh I have no plans to make it a particularly competitive army, so its going to be a weird mix of what I like the look of and field like painting. I'm also not a huge fan of big models, so only the one magmadragon most likely.

Offline Spiney

• Members
  • Merchant Prince of Marienburg
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2021, 11:27:37 PM »
Woah ... Spiney returns!  And with a post like that! :icon_eek: :icon_cool:

Welcome back! :::cheers:::

Just glancing around some of the old forums, please to see that WH-E is one of the few that still has activity

I really must get to painting my plastic squigs this year

Also, regarding my blades of Khorne animosity was really good for me, I got a lot of stuff painted during the campaign that had been lying around in boxes for ages and the army feels more or less ‘complete’ for now. I think the hedonites stuff is technically brilliant and undoubtedly beautiful but it’s not for me really.

I’m still toying with the idea of jumping in with an Idoneth army - I keep coming back to the giant turtle, I think it’s possibly one of my favourite GW minis of recent years. However I’m currently holding off to see how the rumours of vampires pan out, I’ve always wanted to do a vampire army, although wfb vampire counts never quite felt like quite the right fit.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 11:33:26 PM by Spiney »

Brain wounder: for when you don't want to kill your enemies, just leave them bedridden and pissing themselves.

Offline Old Stonebeard

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2021, 02:44:59 AM »
Glad to hear that, Spiney  :::cheers::: For my part, I've decided to sell off all my Blades of Khorne except for a Warcry warband. That's just enough to enjoy the models I want to paint, without having to paint 60 #@&%ing Bloodreavers with a 6+ save and 5+ Bravery.

Idoneth are definitely cool, and while Lumineth were the pointy-ears for me, I've definitely been tempted after seeing some of my local group's Idoneth players' models up close. There's even a war turtle in my local GW's display cabinet right behind all the figureheads from Animosity II.

Disappointed that the "new army reveal" was just confirming a new Hedonites book which was basically a given anyway. That said, there's still a bunch of Rumor Engines unresolved, so yeah, we'll see. You're not the only one hoping for vampires, and they were hinted at in Broken Realms: Morathi.

Likely won't jump into Hedonites myself until I'm a little further along on my existing projects, but they're definitely on the docket. NewGuy gave me an army premise awhile back based around a greater demon called "the Teller of Secrets" and the ruined homebrew nation of Druze. Three of my Stormcast characters are women from Druze, so the Hedonites would be a great addition to their rogue's gallery in my collection.

Alex

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2021, 09:00:44 AM »
I'm waiting to see what that Witch Hunter was all about. I've been picking up undead warbands just because I like the models, and I'd love to have an opponent for them.

Offline Spiney

• Members
  • Merchant Prince of Marienburg
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2021, 11:08:04 PM »
Glad to hear that, Spiney  :::cheers::: For my part, I've decided to sell off all my Blades of Khorne except for a Warcry warband. That's just enough to enjoy the models I want to paint, without having to paint 60 #@&%ing Bloodreavers with a 6+ save and 5+ Bravery.

I’ve never really been a fan of blood reavers (though I do have 40 of the EtB ones painted -albeit rather hurriedly), I’ve always been more into blood warriors for my battleline section, and briefly bloodletters, back when you could fairly easily get them down to causing mortals on a 4+ and they went through everything like a buzz saw.

Brain wounder: for when you don't want to kill your enemies, just leave them bedridden and pissing themselves.

Offline Old Stonebeard

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2021, 06:25:44 PM »
Yeah, same, and that's where I'm excited to keep a Warcry warband but shed the army as a whole. I have 40 of the ETB Bloodreavers + 20 NIB multi-parts, and even tho I was planning on painting them with Contrast, watching them get removed by the handful in the combat phase is depressing. Ditto Bloodletters, honestly.

Alex