home

Author Topic: Which Is Your Favourite Edition of WFB?  (Read 2168 times)

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
Re: Which Is Your Favourite Edition of WFB?
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2021, 08:09:41 PM »
So it is interesting that in the ravaging hordes the Greatswords don't have any armour.   Also I'm wondering if people would object if I just borrowed the pikemen from the Dogs of War and added them to the Empire list.   They would cost 5 skaven slaves a pop so I think they fit in with the costing of 6th edition fairly well.

Ravening Hordes Greatswords followed the 4th & 5th ed rules for Greatswords. The new 6th ed Greatswords with full plate armour were published very soon after RH, but at the very time the 6th came out they weren't there yet.

I'm all OK for using DoW Pikemen in Empire armies as normal State Troop units (so not a Rare choice). They are not overpowered for their points.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline commandant

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2021, 08:42:16 PM »
Ravening Hordes Greatswords followed the 4th & 5th ed rules for Greatswords. The new 6th ed Greatswords with full plate armour were published very soon after RH, but at the very time the 6th came out they weren't there yet.
-Z

The old greatsword models make much more sense when you realise that they had no armour before 6th.

Also I like the idea of pikemen with handgunner detachments, reminds me the right era.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 08:49:54 PM by commandant »

Online GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
  • Spring is almost here! : )
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2021, 11:52:42 PM »
When I first picked up WFB towards the end of 6th edition, I was thrilled that the spearmen were in with the hand gunners for the 6th edition starter set.  Then I could pretend the spearmen were pikes. :icon_cool: :icon_lol:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 11:41:01 AM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Sharkbelly

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2021, 08:54:04 AM »
That was an awesome boxed set!

Offline brr-icy

• All the things 6th
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2021, 09:09:54 AM »
they can be brought in as a rare choice, the books for dow and empire say which you can take

Offline Brother Sutek

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2021, 01:04:46 AM »
Tomb Kings were so powerful for a while. And then all of a sudden, not so much.

Yeah, 6th was definitely their time in the sun, itís just such a shame that half their units didnít exist when the army was strong.

I suppose Iím not so down on the 8E book, it was one of the weaker armies of that edition but I put up with it for the sake of my sphinxes and necro knights.

The sad irony is if you brought the sphinx and necro knights into the 7th edition army then TK would have been able to compete more than they did. I was able to do ok if not well in 7th but as said 8th the book was a mess. I've played with the TK book from 8th against 7th edition armies, adding only the ability to charge with magic and when tunnelling and spell effects able to heal characters. The book was much more fun and was competitive!
I may disagree with what you say but I respect your right to be punished for it.

"CRRUUDDDAAAAAAACCCCEEEEEEE!!!!!!" <shakes fist at the sky>
-Pirate Robot Ninja of Death

Online GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
  • Spring is almost here! : )
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2021, 01:38:53 AM »
As an aside ... it is a bummer that the Tomb Kings are no longer being supported, and those Osiarch-PreNecrons are instead kicking around.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline brr-icy

• All the things 6th
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2021, 09:54:41 AM »
As an aside ... it is a bummer that the Tomb Kings are no longer being supported, and those Osiarch-PreNecrons are instead kicking around.

I wholeheartedly agree, TK were my second army during 6th, and still one of my favorites. Their aesthetic and lore was some of the best. I have a "small" Tomb Kings army now (around 5k points) but I would like to add a couple more models to it so I can field the Sehenesmet list and switch it up to two skull chukkas once in a while

Offline commandant

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2021, 09:30:19 AM »
they can be brought in as a rare choice, the books for dow and empire say which you can take

True but I want to use them as a core choice rather than a rare choice as the idea of a longer stick just seems to make sense for me.

Offline Old Stonebeard

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2021, 11:07:27 PM »
6th. Possibly 7th but I don't remember much of it. 8th was hot garbage and I remember this very forum calling it out on being hot garbage the year it dropped.

Old Stonebeard
you know you can just play 8th, right?

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2021, 08:09:41 AM »
6th. Possibly 7th but I don't remember much of it. 8th was hot garbage and I remember this very forum calling it out on being hot garbage the year it dropped.

Agree.

On the other hand, this forum also had a very loud group of people who absolutely loved the 8th ed and argued for it very vocally. Including personal attacks. (Not the EEFL people, who are nice guys.) More than the shortcomings of the 8th ed, it was this heated atmosphere that I found off-putting at the time.

-Z

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2021, 08:14:48 AM »
they [pikemen] can be brought in as a rare choice, the books for dow and empire say which you can take

True but I want to use them as a core choice rather than a rare choice as the idea of a longer stick just seems to make sense for me.

I always picture the spearmen in the rules are actually pikemen. If one model equals about ten combatants, and if the spears are the only weapon able to strike from the second rank, you pretty much have pikes in action, within the granulation allowed by the game.

I know Priestly/GW always had a RPG approach to weapons, and thus created rules for pikes striking in four ranks, and dual-wielding, etc. etc. But for an army level approach with regiments and detachments, the rules for spears rather support the immersion of pikes.

IMHO, of course. :-)

-Z

Offline KTG17

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2021, 02:55:07 AM »
Well, I am just getting started still but I have to say that I think the 6th edition Rulebook is a work of art. It seems to me that Tuomas had a great deal of influence on the direction of 6th. As a matter of fact, it was the art in the Rulebook that really got my attention too because I always felt previous versions of WFB were campy and silly looking. 6th seemed to change all of that and it started to look and feel like a fantasy world that I could step into, as opposed to Saturday morning cartoons.

Plus it gives you a lot of ways to play the game, which is something I hope to explore once I get some basic games in.

And while I do love and prefer an Empire-Orc mix up in a starter set, I love Skull Pass, and itís those two armies and prob 7th edition rules I will start with when I play a friend or two. Once I get those rules down Iíll explore 6th more. There just feels like there is so much to 6th that itís a little overwhelming and I feel like 7th does a better job explaining things.

I do plan on playing 8th with the starter contents, but I have heard enough here and elsewhere that 8th is the worst of the last three. I will say this too: GW really blew it with that box set, and apparently with the rules, then killing the whole game/universe. I understand creative destruction, but what the hell. I have zero interest in Sigmar, and prob never will. I am surprised others like it enough to hear they are working on a 3rd release of that soon. I wonder how things would have turned out if they didnít . . . up 8th so badly.

(Edit by mod for swearing.)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 10:26:16 AM by GamesPoet »

Offline brr-icy

• All the things 6th
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2021, 06:36:12 AM »
probably wouldn't have sigmar lol

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2021, 08:32:17 AM »
Well, I am just getting started still but I have to say that I think the 6th edition Rulebook is a work of art. It seems to me that Tuomas had a great deal of influence on the direction of 6th. As a matter of fact, it was the art in the Rulebook that really got my attention too because I always felt previous versions of WFB were campy and silly looking. 6th seemed to change all of that and it started to look and feel like a fantasy world that I could step into, as opposed to Saturday morning cartoons.

Plus it gives you a lot of ways to play the game, which is something I hope to explore once I get some basic games in.

Amen.

Mordheim and 6th ed WHFB are gold standard products. Some like to break them, and can, but that doesn't take away the fact they're the culmination of the Old World fantasy games. Add Warmaster and - why not - mighty empires. Total coverage from individual skirmish to massive horde armies and map campaigns. Massive model support: nearly all 90s models still in production (mail order), and new multipart plastics for nearly all unit types that come in larger regiments.

I have zero interest in Sigmar, and prob never will. I am surprised others like it enough to hear they are working on a 3rd release of that soon.

AoS has very successfully challenged Warmachine/Hordes and other mass-skirmish-battle games, it has sucked in people from the 40K who didn't like fantasy battles before, and its visuals have spoken to a whole new generation who didn't find the sometimes historical and sometimes geeky fantasy battle sculpts to their liking. Modern games often don't pay that much attention to the setting.

AoS is a beast of its own, and I don't see the point in comparing it to rank-and-flank fantasy battles. I've never (yet) played AoS, but at least since 2016 it has been a solid product with a very successful business acumen. I just hope I had bought GW stock when it was filthy cheap!

-Z

Offline brr-icy

• All the things 6th
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2021, 04:31:36 AM »
aos is more of a 40k reskin than i would like.

Offline Perambulator

• Administrator
  • Much Less Dense Than Other Lawyers!
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2021, 08:15:23 PM »

Old Stonebeard

This. I started with 6th and played through 7th and 8th basically ended it for me and my gaming group. Haven't picked it up since.
Quote from: Johan Willhelm
Quote from: Dendo Star
Muppets do not have Hatred!
I bet "Animal" has Frenzy . . .

Offline Shadow_Zero

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2022, 10:28:08 AM »
Refresh my memory, what were the (big) rulebook changes from 6th to 7th?