home

Author Topic: Which Is Your Favourite Edition of WFB?  (Read 6819 times)

Offline Von Zorn

• Members
Which Is Your Favourite Edition of WFB?
« on: December 23, 2020, 02:34:33 PM »
As the title. I've long been a fan of 6th edition WFB. It gets extra points for the nostalgia it gives me. It came out right as I was truly getting into the hobby, and really getting to know the lore and read some of the novels. I never got to play a single game of 7th Edition, and by the time 8th came around I had more or less quit Warhammer and sold everything. I returned to it properly towards the end of 2018, when I bought the first load of models to make units for my Estalian/mercenary (Empire, rules-wise) army. I did however go straight back into 6th edition.
To me, it seems like it was during 8th that the model ranges really ramped up the more cartoony/World of Warcraft art direction, with increasingly wacky and massive new creatures and other models. I think The End Times was a real clue as to where they'd go with their design styles in terms of the models that came out. The big undead Mortarch things and the ridiculous Nagash giant being prime examples. But The Empire got some new models that looked like they were out of a video game rather than the somewhat grittier and more down-to-Earth (with obvious exceptions) Warhammer World I fell in love with.
On that note,
I've also been plundering into some much older editions, such as 2nd and 3rd, and am interested in the somewhat less prescriptive Warhammer World presented in them. Obviously the Warhammer World was always firmly tongue-in-cheek, but the overall art direction and model range was a bit more grounded in reality, compared to the High Mega Fantasy of today.

6th edition is the ideal for me, as it seemed to encourage you to take forces that looked like armies, and the art style and lore was at its grittiest (WHFRP 2nd Edition came out during this time I think? Could've been 7th, in which case that clearly also retained the grittiness I liked).

As you can tell, I'm more of a narrative/friendly play guy. Doubtless every edition of every tabletop game can be ruined by power gamer types (who do their best to break the spirit of the game to win then moan about balance, but that's another topic).

Interesting to hear your thoughts!

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Re: Which Is Your Favourite Edition of WFB?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 02:45:02 PM »
Bizarrely, I cannot say, because whichever version I have ever used, myself and my fellow players have modified according to our needs, including adapting for campaign play, using old siege rules, adopting fan-made or home-made army lists, etc and what not.

Like you said, for me it is all about story. Not, however, just making a story up, rather creating a ruleset that allows a campaign story to unfold, giving real scope for creativity and strategy, alliances and politics, for the players and the GM.

I am also with you on being against 'power' gamers, in the sense of min-maxing and creating tournament/army list legal lists taking advantage of every legal twist and turn, every accidental (but printed and RAW) rule. I get what they are doing, but their version of play is far removed from mine. They want to win, while I want to be creative and lose myself in a fantasy world, I want to have fun with all the other aspects of the hobby beyond tabletop official scenarios.

Which is indeed what I should be getting on with now with this bit of free time today!
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 03:24:16 PM »
Yet ... 6th ed was the one that drew me back. I had been playing 3rd through 4th and 5th, then was slowing to a halt, but 6th got be really excited about WFB again and I got stuck in the Warhammer Fantasy world ever since as a consequence.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2020, 03:59:42 PM »
6th was by far my favourite. It was also the one I started in but it felt like a game about armies with magic and monsters.   I am considering playing 6th currently but using 15mm models so that I can get more of them on the base and make the armies look even more impressive.

Offline Von Zorn

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2020, 04:24:15 PM »
(Thanks for moving the thread to the correct folder - silly me!)

Yes, 6th really is the sweet spot for me as well. As you say, commandant, it feels like a game about ARMIES with magic and monsters added in. Heroes can be powerful but usually they're not unstoppable (I never ever use existing characters anyway, I like to make up my own).

15mm would look super impressive with larger units! I was so close to doing the same thing, although actually in my case I was still going to individually base them but just get big armies cheaper, and easier to paint (smaller scales are easier to paint, people who think otherwise haven't got the hang of it is all!).

I did in fact buy a fair few packs of Demonworld 15mm troops from Ral Partha Europe to do it, but then switched to 28mm because a local mate also wanted to return to Warhammer and already had a couple of armies in that scale. Perhaps I'll return to the idea one day anyway...

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2020, 11:48:38 PM »
Probably 7th or 8th edition mostly because those are the ones I played the most and with the most number of people. I started back in 5th but wasnt really playing till much later.

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2020, 05:30:27 AM »
I seem to recall that 5th edition leaned on heroes a lot. Later ones were better. I also really enjoyed the siege rules in 8th.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2020, 11:19:33 AM »
Different editions for different uses:

3rd for individualized units & heroes + simulative approach. The official 8 foot wide table also brings in more deployment options. For slower games.

6th ed for proper Old World battles, with reasonably balanced armies (maybe Ravening Hordes), with focus on maneuver and grind.

9th Age for competitively balanced warband style matchup games. (8th ed rules changes really make me feel one mini is one real combatant, contrary to the earlier 1:10 guideline.) Since I don't play competitive warbands these days, I haven't touched T9A for 2.5 years. But I'd prefer it in competitive surroundings.

But really, I feel Warhammer rules design is antiquated and role-playing style, too heavy for real battles. I prefer other fantasy battle systems these days. Modern design.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Minsc

• Members
  • Grumpy Berserker of Rashemen.
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2020, 10:11:58 PM »
I have most fond memories om 7th Ed. even if I currently (albeit rarely) play 8th Ed. and 9th Age.

Too bad the edition was ultimately ruined by powercreep.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2020, 11:34:42 PM »
Indeed. I played a lot of 7th ed Empire vs Orcs and Goblins. The balance was great.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2020, 12:45:19 AM »
I agree, the 7th edition had its issue towards the end, although supposably preparing for 8th perhaps.  However, really enjoyed 6th edition too.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2020, 04:02:50 AM »
I don't rightly remember what version I played, I think it was 6th edition. I have been playing around with army lists for 8th edition in Battle-Scribe on my phone and have been watching youtube Batt-Reps that largely take place in 8th edition, and so feel a bit more comfortable with 8th. Its been 1.5 decades since I've played, so I wouldn't be able to say much on the difference between the editions, but I do remember having a blast as the High Elves in 6th.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Draccan

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2020, 12:46:58 PM »
I have played on-off from 2nd to 8th.

6th ed. really killed my spirit of the game to the point I sold my armies and got out of wargaming for a while. 6th was great in that it had widespread army books and the plastic kits were amazing for its time. It was great in so many ways except as a game. The balance was absolutely horrible. Playing Empire and Orcs I found it impossible to win against certain armies such as Vampire Counts. There were too much stacked against you before you even moved your first model in the first turn.
Anyone using armies that could jump around quickly (VC, Wood Elves etc) and use terrain and forests against you and your blocks of infantry regiments opponents could easily make themselves look like grand strategists. And with severe movement penalties in woods etc. and the lack of importance of back rows in regiments, it often came down to a hero and a few guys in front often hitting last against uber heroes in the opposing force often hitting first. That is whenever the fast moving enemy decides to take the combat.

I think 8th had so much going for it. I loved that emphasis was finally and perhaps for the first time in the game's history been put on the troops and that a block of orcs or empire troops could actually DO something. I also LOVED the variable charge distances and that pre-measurement was allowed and no more guess ranges. It leveled the playing field for the younger audience and no more "expert" players using their experience with a table or good eye sight to get an edge.

8th. unfortunately didn't have the support in the community. Esp. not as it entered End Times and rumours of being dropped by GW.

When I look back I had the most fun with 3rd, 4th and 8th. ed. 8th. being the best game.

3rd was totally wacky but fun. But the rules were extremely unbalanced and often made no sense from rolling mutations on individual models in a regiment to the flying rules on 10 levels and summoning elements with 10 in all stats or mass summoning of greater demons or how about a high elf army entirely mounted on dragons etc.

4th. had a lot of craziness but also a lot of potential. The craziness had more structure but most armies had something up their sleeve. I did almost lose a friendship when I flew an orc with a magic standard on a wyvern next to a Tzeentch Greater Demon and auto-killed him (the banner auto-kills magic-users in base to base).

6th is an abomination, that still gives me nightmares.

When 8th came out and End Times got nearer, I think a lot of veterans liked the shenanigans of 6th. and stayed there. And the community split further with 9th. Age and other community editions. And of course AoS eventually was rumoured and came out. It was as if 8th. never really had a chance. But it certainly wasn't helped by GW making it all about bloated over-sized units. If that had been reined in, 8th would have been close to flawless in my opinion.

Offline Michael Stockin

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2021, 11:11:42 AM »
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 07:19:06 PM by Michael Stockin »
So long and thanks for all the fish.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2021, 01:22:38 PM »
I played 3rd all through 4th and 5th, and loved it. I still occasionally run WFRP (1st ed) and never liked the later forms of WFRP at all.

Would love to run WFRP again, maybe even as part of my Tilea campaign, but the bleemin' pandemic is messing with my plans!!!!!

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2021, 12:09:00 PM »
Played 5th to 8th and from these all I prefer 8th. I've always prefferd playing with large blocks of infantry, so 8th was a good change for me with the rank and flank taking the spotlight. Like any edition it has its weaknesses and balance problems, but overal I rate it pretty high. Just realised I've been playing it for 10 years!

"All right... we'll call it a draw".

My fantasy-themed terrain log

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2021, 07:14:54 AM »
I really liked how the RPG and the minis game could work together, but never really tried it out. My local players were too into D&D and Pathfinder to give WHFRP a serious go.

This is the same reason why I like the D6 Star wars RPG and the minis game...

Offline Von Zorn

• Members
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2021, 09:08:25 AM »
I played 3rd all through 4th and 5th, and loved it. I still occasionally run WFRP (1st ed) and never liked the later forms of WFRP at all.

Would love to run WFRP again, maybe even as part of my Tilea campaign, but the bleemin' pandemic is messing with my plans!!!!!

Run it online! Then non locals could play too...  :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: :wink:

Offline Brother Sutek

• Members
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2021, 02:04:03 AM »
I played 7th and loved it. 8th was fun at first but the flaws of the system got worse as the edition went on, being a Tomb King player and suffering with that abomination of a book(I'm not bitter still...) and not wanting to play the army that got me into this game made me glad to go back to 7th. Always wanted to try 6th but sadly no one wanted to play it again.
I may disagree with what you say but I respect your right to be punished for it.

"CRRUUDDDAAAAAAACCCCEEEEEEE!!!!!!" <shakes fist at the sky>
-Pirate Robot Ninja of Death

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2021, 04:38:08 AM »
Tomb Kings were so powerful for a while. And then all of a sudden, not so much.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2021, 02:11:35 AM »
Weird question, why isn't this a poll?
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Spiney

• Members
  • Merchant Prince of Marienburg
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2021, 08:54:30 PM »
Tomb Kings were so powerful for a while. And then all of a sudden, not so much.

Yeah, 6th was definitely their time in the sun, it’s just such a shame that half their units didn’t exist when the army was strong.

I suppose I’m not so down on the 8E book, it was one of the weaker armies of that edition but I put up with it for the sake of my sphinxes and necro knights.

Brain wounder: for when you don't want to kill your enemies, just leave them bedridden and pissing themselves.

Offline WarhammerWodner

• Members
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2021, 03:22:11 PM »
I agree to my previous writers.
The 6th was by far the best, although the 7th was quite neat, too.
The balance problems of the 8th was just too much for me.
Didn't like it at all.

Cheers,
Wodner

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2021, 08:44:10 AM »
6th, it was the most balanced the game ever was. I have no problems winning with any army against any other unless they take the few well documented lists that were ridiculous. i played from 4th to 8th. I don't see the issues that Draccan mentioned. Empire has a bunch of strong builds that were fairly fast moving, plus cannons. Orcs were a bit weak thanks to animosity, but if they're deployed right and you don't roll badly on animosity every turn, they can decimate.

I loved the campiness of 4th/5th where your one model was really all you needed to win. 6th brought in the army needing to be well thought out and the movement phase being important. 7th decided that it was time to sell the newest army en masse and anger as many of the older players as possible, then 8th dumbed all the strategy out of the game with all their random charging, premeasuring, unit deleting magic, steadfast (or buy the same models again ten times over rule) and other abominations of that edition

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2021, 07:38:44 PM »
So it is interesting that in the ravaging hordes the Greatswords don't have any armour.   Also I'm wondering if people would object if I just borrowed the pikemen from the Dogs of War and added them to the Empire list.   They would cost 5 skaven slaves a pop so I think they fit in with the costing of 6th edition fairly well.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 07:46:10 PM by commandant »