home

Author Topic: Is Valten any good?  (Read 3307 times)

Offline plaguelord

• Members
Is Valten any good?
« on: June 26, 2003, 04:59:58 PM »
I'm planning on getting the model this weekend for my 2000pt army... anybody got any input... he looks pretty nasty...undercosted in my humble opinion. How does he fair on the playground? ... he looks like the school bully to me...

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
Is Valten any good?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2003, 12:13:37 PM »
oh yes he is but then you can only have one other hero so i reccomend not using him until you have 3000 points
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Albrecht von Hinkel

• Members
Is Valten any good?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2003, 01:12:28 PM »
I've never used him.. It would be cool to see how he would fair in 1000 pts though.

Offline Sigmar Heldenhammer

• Members
Is Valten any good?
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2003, 03:03:10 PM »
He is a very good (not excellent) fighter, but he has some helpful special rules regarding the rest of the army, which means (for just 215pts) he is definatly worth using in battle!
"There is no problem that cannot be solved with cannons"

Offline Elden

• Members
Is Valten any good?
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2003, 08:33:37 AM »
Err, I keep hearing about this guy and how he is rumured to be the new hero of the light who will vaquish Archeon.  Where do you get info on this guy? Is he official and what are his stats like?  What's the history before this guy?

Offline Markus

• Members
Is Valten any good?
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2003, 06:06:03 PM »
Check in the WDs. All info and stats should be there!
"Come on feel the noize!
Girls, rock your boys!"

Offline Elden

• Members
Is Valten any good?
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2003, 06:29:11 AM »
Err, what's WD ?

Offline Boris Todbringer

• Members
Is Valten any good?
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2003, 05:06:21 PM »
White Dwarf.
You've got questions? I've got a cannon.

Offline Markus

• Members
Is Valten any good?
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2003, 03:38:14 PM »
A monthly magazine about WHFB, 40K, and such.
"Come on feel the noize!
Girls, rock your boys!"

Offline Asmodeus

• Members
Is Valten any good?
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2003, 09:27:34 PM »
Valten is pretty good.  I wouldn't say he is overpowered, but I would say he can make quite a difference in a game.
Being primarily a Dark Elf player, and hearing about a new revision, I have to wonder,

Do Witch Elves still suck? ;)

Offline squig87

• Members
  • The Dude
Is Valten any good?
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2003, 10:00:57 PM »
I think Valten represents the free company style special character. Despite being a common run of the mill guy he has the twin tailed comet of sigmar. With that kinda birthmark on his chest how can he be unempirish? heh. I think the model is good but not like anything that GW have really made before. But this doesnt mean he's not appropriate for the empire, after all, which army is going to refuse the new champiom of light?!?!?!
Citizen Erased

Offline ChumpChange

• Members
Is Valten any good?
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2003, 12:39:20 AM »
Hi,
I think Valten is a bit overpowered.  His real strengh lies, not in his 5 s4 attacks (obviously) but in all the special rules that come along with him.  Stubborn is really useful and that's just the tip of the iceberg.  Valten is also incredibly difficult to kill.  His special save is far better than any ward save...except maybe Archaeons.  I don't like the model however.  Looks too much like Fabio...imho.  I used him once and he held up Grimgor ironhide and 25 black orcs for 4 rounds of combat.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. --Voltaire

Offline Elden

• Members
Is Valten any good?
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2003, 03:42:16 AM »
I don't have that particular issue of white dwarf.  Can someone point me on an online link of Valten's stats and background?

Or post it here!  :)

Offline squig87

• Members
  • The Dude
Is Valten any good?
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2003, 08:42:40 PM »
I dunno whether the admin of the site will too pleased about copying the article in WD... But basically this guy has averagle-good stats for a human with some awesome rules. If he dies in combat he makes a leadership roll, if he passes he gets back upi with one wound. It doesn apply if hes run down. He's got a ward save and hes stubborn i think. Pretty good actually, and he's obivoulsy going to give him a rules change- after all he's only about 16 at the current moment ( and I'll be dammed if i could even carry two blacksmiths hammers  :lol: ) so hes gotta get harder.
Citizen Erased

Offline Elden

• Members
Is Valten any good?
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2003, 02:29:19 AM »
Thanks!  He sounds good, but doesn't have any effect on the troops he leads. :(  I think its more important for Empire heroes to have an effect on the troops they lead.

What's his background history btw? I am very interested in lore. Does WD paint him up as some champion of Light?  Cos actually, Luthor Huss sounds like the Magnus-to-be that would be good for a champion of light. (He also sounds like a Zealot though!)  :D

Offline squig87

• Members
  • The Dude
Is Valten any good?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2003, 07:39:41 PM »
ahhh sorry! I forgot to mention that the enemy can never gain extra combat resolution for outnumbering, rear or flank charges. Also he has a special rule where all empire units within 12" gain combat resolution for the kills he makes.

He's quite inspiring i think!

His story is that his town was being invaded and pillaged by a beatman band. The town was brought to a smoking ruin, but Valten who lived in the village decided to fight back. He grabbed his father's trusty blacksmiths hammers and began fighting the beastmen. He was killing the beastmen in droves and inspired his fellow townsfolk to fight by his side.
As the last stand is put up by valten and his townspeople the beastman commander offers Valten a 1 0n 1. Valten took up the beastman on the challanege and fought furiously. But Valten was beaten, his breast slashed with the great beastmans axe. (this is the cheesy Valten trademark bit now). Valten has taken many wounds that would have killed a lesser man and is surely dead. As the beastman general boasts and basks in his victory Valten suddenly feels fine and strikes the beastman down. He then routes the remaining beastmen from his village and all is well :)

At the end of the story Mr Huss walks up to Valten and praises Sigmar, for he is sure that Valten has been sent by Sigmar himself to fight evil. Nothing so far has been said about him being the champion of light though.

I read a battle report in the UK WD where the 7 knights scenario is used. Valten and Luthor Huss are taken with 5 other warrior priests, each controlled by a different member of the studio against a 1000pt chaso army. In the report valten gets charged along with another WP by a chaos chariot. The other WP dies instantly but Valten comesback to life aoubt 3 times, its amazing. It already incourages me to get the man and play him. He is definatly going to be the champion of light in my opinion and is liekly to get another rules change by the start of the WHFB campain next summer.
Citizen Erased

Offline Elden

• Members
Is Valten any good?
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2003, 05:23:00 AM »
Much better now!  : )  Great!  He does sound like someone I would use too!  :p