home

Author Topic: Rumors and what's new to be expected for The Old World ...  (Read 3197 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
  • Summer has arrived! : )
Re: Rumors and what's new to be expected for The Old World ...
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2022, 12:05:08 AM »
Thanks!  And I looked here first, being more of a miniature gamer, and far less of a video gamer.  Far, far less. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Jmash

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2022, 09:06:38 PM »
I find it interesting that it's referred to as the largest realm of men in the known world, but is ruled by immortal shape-shifting dragons...

Also dragons exist in the Old World, as the typical legendary beasts, so how do these guys relate?

Could make for some cool fluff.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 09:12:46 PM by Jmash »

Offline KTG17

« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2022, 01:43:35 PM »
Okay I do like floating islands in fantasy but it seems like too much in WFB. Its like they are sort of mixing the more grounded fantasy of WFB and the way over the top setting in Sigmar. I guess they have to make things a little different to keep things fresh.

Its quite the expansive world they are building. I was under the impression this was going to be limited to just the area of the Empire and Bretonnia with some Orcs and Elves sprinkled in.

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2022, 02:25:19 PM »
Where's "floating islands" coming from?

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline KTG17

« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2022, 02:47:22 PM »

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2022, 05:39:40 PM »
Yeah, like there'll be plenty of folks trying to duplicate that on their table top.  Not me.

Offline Jmash

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2022, 11:34:11 PM »
Okay I do like floating islands in fantasy but it seems like too much in WFB. Its like they are sort of mixing the more grounded fantasy of WFB and the way over the top setting in Sigmar. I guess they have to make things a little different to keep things fresh.

I agree, first impressions of Cathay are that it's a little OTT, we've already got immortal shape-shifting dragons and floaty islands... Let's be honest if those things exist in the WFB setting then why is the rest of the world so dull by comparison!?  :-P :unsure:

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2022, 04:56:20 PM »
Right back at the start (well, not first ed, but when the OldWorld actually appeared in WFRP) there were really odd chaos images - stuff by John Blanche particularly. We just liked the images then got on with the game, in a Warhammer World (mostly) nothing like the images. We just assumed that those sorts of images were in the chaos realm, or Old Worlders' dreams.

I think these pics are a leaf from the old book!
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Victor

• ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2022, 02:53:02 PM »
From what I have seen from Total War Warhammer III, Cathay is just as over the top as the new Kislev. The new world they are building might be set in the 'Old World', but it's the design philosophy of AoS that is being applied to old Warhammer here. I guess we won't get Warhammer Fantasy, but instead a Warhammer Fantasy². Too much fantasy ... too much magic ...
I absolutely do don't like that, but I guess you can ignore those things to a certain degree.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2022, 05:06:08 PM »
Where's "floating islands" coming from?

They are a regular feature in manga/anime or manhua. Here is one form Tales of Demons and Gods:

It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Jmash

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2022, 12:16:02 AM »
In all honesty having reflected on my previous comments a little further, I guess we do have some very fantastical elements in the Old World like the Great Vortex or The Auric Bastion to name just a couple,  not to mention Albion which is supposedly a reflection on my home nation and is perpetually covered in fog it seems!

So I guess these new things aren't completely out of character,  maybe it's just because what we're used to is a little more sparse, not always visible and easy to forget or ignore,  whereas bigass floaty mountains are a bit more in your face?

At the end of the day these are 2 'new', unexplored realms in terms of lore so they have free reign to go in whatever direction they choose. Let's just wait and see what lies beyond the horizon for the parts of the world we do already know and love... however fearful I am of that! :-P

Offline Gankom

• The World Builder
« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2022, 04:02:14 PM »
I didn't really see a good place to put this, but I found it interesting. Black Library is putting out a new special feature book. The Witch Hunters Handbook, an in universe guide for Witch Hunters on how to do their job. But this is the bit that caught my eye, and why I'm posting it here.

Written by Darius Hinks, The Witch Hunter’s Handbook sets out the requirements governing those Witch Hunters sworn to do Sigmar’s work in the Old World. The Six Holy Principles make up the original founding tenets of The Ancient Initiatic and Holy Order of the Templars of Sigmar – as recorded in Hieronymus Black’s Rules and Statutes.

As far as I know, this is one of the first full books thats been set in the Old World in the past few years. I've seen a few short stories, and they've rereleased a number of older books, but this looks to be a big special book they're putting a lot of effort into. Could be linked to more Old World news coming soon, just a coincidence, or who knows. But it caught my eye.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/08/10/the-witch-hunters-handbook-reveals-the-secrets-of-sigmars-agents/

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2022, 06:08:43 PM »
A good catch, thanks for posting! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

It does make me wonder when we'll see some sort of bigger announcement.